• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

m43lstr0m

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Steep runs poorly on a good pc. Didn't ever see this panning out on Switch without looking and running terrible.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I only know about Steep because some people asked "where is the Switch port". I don't think I've ever read a single thread about the game in this forum.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised so many people are jumping down the throat of the first poster re: Switchs ability to play AAA games.

Hasn't it been rumored for months that their had been some technical hurdles to actually getting this on the Switch?

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Not surprised. Seems like AAA games have a lot of trouble running on Switch. Hell, some indie titles are having performance problems on the platform.

Do we know of any other troubled or canned AAA titles for Switch besides Dragon Quest XI* or Steep?

*See has commented that DQXI is progressing well, for whatever that is worth.

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
While the power difference is part of the problem, it's clearly more of a ROI one. It's not like it'll sell much on Switch to be worth the time and resources. The tweet literally acknowledges that the money would be better spent on live content instead. Is it not tiring to continuously ignore the bigger picture and only focus on the dead horse known as "Switch can't run these games"? When an indie developer is unable to optimize their game for PS4/XB1 due to limited resources, do people immediately jump on the "those platforms have inferior hardware" narrative? While it's more true for Switch, that doesn't make it the direct cause for why many of the games aren't coming to it. It seems like some people are being very vocal about their desire to have games skip out on a certain platform out of spite or engage in superiority contests.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm kinda confused, why is this funny? I've been working with some other people on Switch game and we've been having trouble getting our performance metrics up. It's really not that powerful and getting games to run properly on it is a lot of work.
Because the lack of hardware grunt wasn't what was stated as a reason for why the game's development was halted. If anything, it's more likely that the issue is that the game isn't particularly popular so bringing it over to yet anothe system wouldn't really be worth it. The post just comes across as "Well of course the Switch couldn't handle it", which isn't really the right takeaway here, especially when he went on in the case of most indie games, which is more to do with optimisation than hardware grunt, seeing as there are also some performance issues on those games for the other systems

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure why they ever planned on bringing it over in the first place, it was always going to be a late port with little relevance.

AlexxKidd

Banned
May 23, 2018
I feel so out of the loop when it comes to gaming anymore.

"You guys looking forward to Twanger Eternal Pro? Can't wait to see what the folks over at Spitting Spoon have come up with this time."

What? Who? I have no idea what Steep is (was?).

Me neither but I googled it. Actually looks cool if you're into 1080 or SSX style stuff.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Because the lack of hardware grunt wasn't what was stated as a reason for why the game's development was halted. If anything, it's more likely that the issue is that the game isn't particularly popular so bringing it over to yet anothe system wouldn't really be worth it

It's probably a combination of the two, the difficulty of the port along with the low RoI for said port. That said, I'm sure if it was an easy port they would have done it already before dedicating resources to it.

Oct 26, 2017
It's probably a combination of the two, the difficulty of the port along with the low RoI for said port. That said, I'm sure if it was an easy port they would have done it already before dedicating resources to it.
I'm sure the gap in hardware does play a factor but not necessarily the main one, otherwise why bother even announcing it or putting the resources to bring it at all. The Switch is no stranger to downgraded AAA releases, after all. Even if it was an easy port, would it have been worth it? It probably would have come out but wouldn't have offered a ROI either way

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not surprising. The game bombed on every platform and they probably feared it wouldn't perform any better on the Switch.

Apr 21, 2018
I didn't really like the demo on PS4 so it would have been a skip from me anyways, and I love snowboarding.

I'd still like a snowboarding game on Switch though. SSX, 1080, something.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
When this was announced, I feared Ubi were pulling a "Watchdogs Wii U" on the Switch so when it inevitably failed, they would use it as a good enough reason to not bother with anything else.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's face it, not a whole lot was lost. Now give me a new SSX cowards. I'll even take 1080 at this point.

Alcibiades

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
I'm kinda confused, why is this funny? I've been working with some other people on Switch game and we've been having trouble getting our performance metrics up. It's really not that powerful and getting games to run properly on it is a lot of work.

How much experience do you and your colleagues have? Sometimes you have to blame yourself and not the platform.

Take the first Overcooked on Switch as an example, it looks decent, but performed terribly at launch. Overcooked 2 on the other hand not only looks better, but also performs better than its predecessor on Switch.

It was a small team with a lack of experience, but now they got help from Team 17, which did wonders for the game.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Totally forgot about this. Wait... what does "live game" mean?

*Googles*

Holy shit! This already released on other platforms? All I remember was the announcement and then nothing since.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How much experience do you and your colleagues have? Sometimes you have to blame yourself and not the platform.

Take the first Overcooked on Switch as an example, it looks decent, but performed terribly at launch. Overcooked 2 on the other hand not only looks better, but also performs better than its predecessor on Switch.

It was a small team with a lack of experience, but now they got help from Team 17, which did wonders for the game.

Well the lead programmers have been programming since the 90s and created multiple engines, some of which were used for multiple commercial games, from the ground up.

So I'd say a lot of experience on that one.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Smoooooth. But expected.. when it didnt hit Switch before Olympics last year it was pretty much sealed that it wasnt going to release.. not sure why they didnt say so.

Ubisoft still has 6 games upcoming for the Switch in the next 6 months at least so not sure why people are complaining about their support... let's see what else they might bring. Child of Light 2 seems very likely aswell.

List:
Southpark: Stick of Truth
Child of Light
Valiant Hearts
Starlink: Battle for Atlas
Trials Rising
Just Dance 2019

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
To be fair people forget that this game exist and thats announced for Switch, so not big loss in any case.

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria
Sacrificing Steep was a necessary step towards getting Child of Light and Valiant Hearts on Switch /s

Part of me wonders if the prolonged insistence that Steep was still in development for Switch would have contributed to better performance commercially if the game actually released. It was probably the most interesting thing about the game, and imagine a shadow drop from Reggie himself at E3 2023 where he proudly announces that the game will debut alongside Dark Souls Remastered as a launch title for the Switch 2.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The sin isn't not getting the game to run on Switch, the issue is the base game wasn't designed with it in mind.

Games would run a lot smoother if up ports instead of downports were the norm.
But then you're potentially limiting what other platforms can do. It already happens with consoles and PC, but this would be much, much worse.

wiiucollector

Aug 5, 2018
Germany
Just when Nintendo's 3rd party games seemed to be going downhill in a good way..

Can't say I was that curious, but as mentioned, both 1080° and Snowboard Kids would be much more welcome additions to the Switch's library instead.

The first South Park.

Starlink, Trials Rising and Just Dance 2019. Apart from that, Ubisoft are asleep at the wheel on the Switch, and could do better, but that's true for most big-time publishers, tbqh.

As for comments on what it "can and can't handle", it isn't "salty" to call out that poster on his BS. There isn't much between the Switch and other platforms, and there isn't a single non-exclusive title on PSBox, existing or forthcoming that isn't possible on the Switch in some capacity; I won't debate that point here. At the same time, there are valid technical issues related to the Switch, relating to cart sizes VS cost, and lost sales opportunity. With regard to Steep, it also had Winter Olympics 2018 content; That event was about six months ago, and releasing a sports title some months after the event is a difficult sell. To that end, it is understandable that this project would've been cancelled. After that, there continues to be a general scepticism about certain releases from certain publishers, based on foundationless perceptions about Nintendo fans, and a bizarre, horrible desire to view us and our tastes in monolithic terms. There isn't a need to turn this thread into debates about what it "can and can't handle" - Unless posters here have tried to develop something that ambitious for the Switch and failed, such opinions are worthless. All the more so when readily-available receipts and reasonable deduction would determine that you're far off the mark. Still, "needing to do some work", or "difficulties" DO NOT mean that the endeavour is impossible/out of reach - I really wish that people on here would think about the type of comments they're making, and try and understand why their language might be very unfriendly towards, for example, disabled people.

On another note, Celebrating cancelled releases, however late, is disgusting form, and it should be bannable because it's the same as "lazy developers" comments, in that there's a studio which has been hard at work, only to find that their project won't be fully realised. These posts feigning shock, and telling everybody you don't care are not pleasant. Somebody might have wanted to play a snowboarding game on their Switch. They're hardly going to post here because an intimidating tone has been set for the rest of the topic.

Last edited:

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017
This is extremely unprofessional on Ubisoft part. But it is Ubisoft so it should be expected. They even took pre-orders and were saying the game was still in development a few weeks ago? Nintendo fans should just go fuck themselves then, right?

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that they cancelled it so that they wouldn't have to compete with Nintendo's upcoming 1080 Snowboarding Switch release.

(Please?)

(PLEASE?!)

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
Starlink, Trials Rising and Just Dance 2019. Apart from that, Ubisoft are asleep at the wheel on the Switch, and could do better, but that's true for most big-time publishers, tbqh.

If your hypothesis is that "most publishers" are "asleep at the wheel on the Switch", maybe you should take a moment to consider that perhaps they understand something about the platform that you don't.

On another note, Celebrating cancelled releases, however late, is disgusting form, and it should be bannable because it's the same as "lazy developers" comments,

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Avoiding the lazy developers argument, I suspect the game was canned on the Switch as the performance of the port wasn't good enough due to the development team's inability to optimize well enough for the Switch. Which is surprising when Ubisoft could've pulled some of the Mario + Rabbids team over to help. But for a late port? Not even Panic Button's help would've been worth it for a game that underperformed on it's primary platforms.

So, ROI and lack of expertise is likely to blame. Not even going to bother with the spec argument because it's been demonstrated that Switch is capable of whatever a Steep port would have shown.

Lyon N. Laap

Oct 27, 2017
If your hypothesis is that "most publishers" are "asleep at the wheel on the Switch", maybe you should take a moment to consider that perhaps they understand something about the platform that you don't.

It's kind of disingenuous to imply that the two scenarios presented by the poster are equal in their level of hostility and that therefore they are being hypocritical.

Because they aren't, and the first case is certainly more obnoxious and toxic than feeling corporations are ignoring a potential revenue stream. Maybe not bannable levels of toxicity, but arguably more toxic than warranted.

Oct 27, 2017
No one cares about this game
I mean there's a whole topic, it is still supported with new content, got an expansion and just now had a switch port cancelled and,... you commented in a topic about it but yeah, no one cares!

On topic: bummer for those waiting. Need to try it because the demo (or was it a beta) was really chill and fun

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
I would've definitely gotten it if it came to the switch cause I need a new snowboarding fix, but to be honest the only real selling point Steep had for me was that there isn't a SSX on the Switch yet. Nothing about the game itself ever looked that appealing and considering the lack of positivity or hype about the game I honestly doubt they would've made a return on the investment if they went through with the port. Sad to see it cancelled but it's probably better for both sides in this case.

That said tho, where's my snowboarding game dammit, I just want to shred on my Switch.