• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of Capcom's intentions, they're limiting players' options in a way that stifles creativity. Being able to choose the order of your Devil Breakers and switch between them on the fly with no penalty is flat out better than having a fixed order and breaking a DB every time you want to switch.

If the designers think the DBs are too powerful that way, they could make DB switching an unlockable bonus for beating the game. The total absence of that option is just plain bad design.

The fear of overpowered tools didn't stop them from giving DMC4 Dante style switching, which makes him an untouchable killing machine when you know what you're doing.

"Hey guys let's give Dante the invincible defense of Royal Guard with the mobility of Trickster and the insane damage potential of the other three styles! Oh also he can switch between every single weapon in his arsenal."
Would be awesome if it's an unlockable. I'd rather not have that limit when I'm replaying missions or playing bloody palace.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of Capcom's intentions, they're limiting players' options in a way that stifles creativity. Being able to choose the order of your Devil Breakers and switch between them on the fly with no penalty is flat out better than having a fixed order and breaking a DB every time you want to switch.

If the designers think the DBs are too powerful that way, they could make DB switching an unlockable bonus for beating the game. The total absence of that option is just plain bad design.

The fear of overpowered tools didn't stop them from giving DMC4 Dante style switching, which makes him an untouchable killing machine when you know what you're doing.

"Hey guys let's give Dante the invincible defense of Royal Guard with the mobility of Trickster and the insane damage potential of the other three styles! Oh also he can switch between every single weapon in his arsenal."

It's not bad design. The difference between Dante's "Styles" and Nero's "Breakers" is in the name. Nero's arm is a "Breaker" which means the arms need to "break" in order to go to the next one. I don't see how it limits creativity as we have 8 different breakers with unique systems, in any case, more people will use all the breakers as they simply won't constantly stick to the one they use.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Agree

The Break Away explosion can damage monsters btw so you can combo using it too.
Break Away is a good feature. It just shouldn't be the only way to manually switch your DBs.

I would have expected Itsuno and his team to consider the long term implications of that design choice. Does he really think players who have poured 100+ hours into the game are still going to enjoy taking Nero on an Easter egg hunt to refill his DB ammo?

Oopsie, picked up the wrong one. Better run to a phone and call Nico. Inventory management is so much fun!

1) Find a phone
2) Call Nico
3) Change Devil Breaker order
4) Run off to find enemies

This is going to get old after maybe two playthroughs max.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Thats taking the easy way out. No she isn't.

Taking the easy way out from what? Tweaking an unfinished design? It would have been cool if Nico was mostly or all black, but she's not, cuz they didn't pursue that direction with her.

Also, yes, Lucia absolutely is:

latest
latest
latest
latest

She's more or less as black as concept art Nico:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It's not bad design. The difference between Dante's "Styles" and Nero's "Breakers" is in the name. Nero's arm is a "Breaker" which means the arms need to "break" in order to go to the next one. I don't see how it limits creativity as we have 8 different breakers with unique systems, in any case, more people will use all the breakers as they simply won't constantly stick to the one they use.
It's a game about stylish combat. Fun and freedom are more important than enforcing an unnecessary limit just to reference the name of a feature.

If you don't see how creativity is limited by literally locking some of the most useful parts of Nero's movelist, making it impossible for players to, say, rapidly cancel between Gerbera's air dashes and other DBs' attacks without pre-planning their DB order and inserting Break Aways in between each switch... I have to wonder if you know how high level play looks in DMC3 and 4. It's all about position control and blindingly fast transitions between attacks.

To say experienced players shouldn't have control over their own move choice, and should instead be made to use Devil Breakers in a specific way, is borderline insulting. Players should be allowed to use the weapons and gameplay mechanics they want. What's the point of style and weapon switching if creative freedom isn't the goal?

It's not like the breaking feature will always lead to more variety, anyway. If I recall, players can equip the same DB in multiple slots.

Would be awesome if it's an unlockable. I'd rather not have that limit when I'm replaying missions or playing bloody palace.
Yep. And they better not make it a bonus feature of Super Nero. Players should be able to enjoy Bloody Palace and replay all the missions their way, without restricted mechanics.

Last edited:

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Who is Nico? There's Nero who is Vergil's son, Nelo who is Vergil but has a different name because...reasons and now there's a Nico who is.....Nero because....reasons too?

Talk about confusing. Stupid story.

It's actually very straightforward.

Nico is Nero's weapon mechanic, and the granddaughter of Nell Goldstein, who made Dante's handguns. The marketing has been extremely clear about who she is.

Nero is Vergil's son.

Nelo/Nero Angelo is Vergil's nickname as Mundus' henchman in DMC1. Also the Nelo/Nero Angelo name is only ever used outside of the story in files and in non-game materials. He's only ever called Vergil in DMC1's story.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Taking the easy way out from what? Tweaking an unfinished design? It would have been cool if Nico was mostly or all black, but she's not, cuz they didn't pursue that direction with her.

Also, yes, Lucia absolutely is:

She's more or less as black as concept art Nico:

We're just going to have to agree to disagree. They could have made Nico a black character with much darker skin tone but imo, I believe they chickened out of it. And Lucia looks Mediterranean especially with that accent. There are a lot of them there with tan skin but they aren't black.

Just wondering, are you African -American, African, British Black or from the Caribbean Island?

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To say experienced players shouldn't have control over their own move choice, and should instead be made to use Devil Breakers in a specific way, is borderline insulting. Players should be allowed to use the weapons and gameplay mechanics they want. What's the point of style and weapon switching if creative freedom isn't the goal?

Insulting? LOL. You are acting like you are being forced to play the game. Casual, moderate and experienced players are all important here and I've already explained why they have breakers without "breaking" (pardon the pun) the game and concept too much. Hey, things could change from now till March but as of now I like this system. Looking forward to Dante.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Insulting? LOL. You are acting like you are being forced to play the game. Casual, moderate and experienced players are all important here and I've already explained why they have breakers without "breaking" (pardon the pun) the game and concept too much. Hey, things could change from now till March but as of now I like this system. Looking forward to Dante.
Yes, insulting. You don't think it's insulting for the developers to decide that skilled players can't be trusted to get the most out of the combat system? That they have to be forced to use a variety of Devil Breakers, because otherwise they'd use the same ones too much?

LOL yourself. This is a reasonable position. Weapon and style switching are a thing. For consistency's sake, DB switching should be a thing too.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Break Away is a good feature. It just shouldn't be the only way to manually switch your DBs.

I would have expected Itsuno and his team to consider the long term implications of that design choice. Does he really think players who have poured 100+ hours into the game are still going to enjoy taking Nero on an Easter egg hunt to refill his DB ammo?

Oopsie, picked up the wrong one. Better run to a phone and call Nico. Inventory management is so much fun!

1) Find a phone
2) Call Nico
3) Change Devil Breaker order
4) Run off to find enemies

This is going to get old after maybe two playthroughs max.

I wish they give us the option but it's not that big of a deal imo

A couple of seconds in the 1st trailer and hasn't been shown or talked about since. At this point I wouldn't say he's a major character.
Nico mentioned him at the beginning of the demo

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
We're just going to have to agree to disagree. They could have made Nico a black character with much darker skin tone but imo, I believe they chickened out of it. And Lucia looks Mediterranean especially with that accent. There are a lot of them there with tan skin but they aren't black.

Just wondering, are you African -American, African, British Black or from the Caribbean Island?
This is just dumb imo especially when they made character that was known to be white now black with Morrison.

But i expected such a reaction because when one of your concept designs have a darker skin tone you dont go with it its "chickened out". *sigh*

They most likely had the idea of the more southern accent and attitude and thought it wouldnt be a good idea to have a black character do that because it would lead to stereotype accusations.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Well, they didn't. They went for someone who is mixed race. And Lucia is black.
Lucia has neither black features nor hair reflective of such an ethnicity...

I groan anytime a developer makes a racially ambiguous character (acting as if darker skin is some kind of a virus) and people try to pretend they're "obviously black"...

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, insulting. You don't think it's insulting for the developers to decide that skilled players can't be trusted to get the most out of the combat system? That they have to be forced to use a variety of Devil Breakers, because otherwise they'd use the same ones too much?

LOL yourself. This is a reasonable position. Weapon and style switching are a thing. For consistency's sake, DB switching should be a thing too.

I just think the reaction about the breakers is a little OTT and it's not "insulting" in the slightest if that's how they wanted the system to be implemented. Like I said, all player levels matter and they could still change some things upon release.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I just think the reaction about the breakers is a little OTT and it's not "insulting" in the slightest if that's how they wanted the system to be implemented. Like I said, all player levels matter and they could still change some things upon release.
I'm just hoping the Devil Breaker system isn't too limiting for the people who will still be playing DMC5 years after casual players have beaten it once and then sold or forgotten their copy.

The DMC series has one of the most loyal fanbases out there. DMC2, DmC, and the 10-year gap between 4 and 5 couldn't kill the small but dedicated community that's stuck with this series from the beginning. These fans' role in the DMC franchise's continued relevance in an industry that keeps trying to move beyond fast, deep, skill-based action games should not be underestimated. For the sake of the long term fans, I hope Itsuno's team makes DMC5 as deep and replayable as possible.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
The only way I see the devil breaker system coming into play in an interesting manner is if truly the enemy design is up to the task.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This is just dumb imo especially when they made character that was known to be white now black with Morrison.

But i expected such a reaction because when one of your concept designs have a darker skin tone you dont go with it its "chickened out". *sigh*

They most likely had the idea of the more southern accent and attitude and thought it wouldnt be a good idea to have a black character do that because it would lead to stereotype accusations.

This is such bullshit. Are you black? And if you are, how can you not know what stereotypes are for blacks? And again, I said major character. Morrison has only been in the first trailer for a couple seconds and hasn't been heard of since. Except someone said he was briefly mentioned in the demo. Big deal.

I groan anytime a developer makes a racially ambiguous character (acting as if darker skin is some kind of a virus) and people try to pretend they're "obviously black"...

Thank you

Oct 30, 2017
game looks so awesome. capcom is really doing good work lately, glad we are still getting cool over the top shit with a focus on gameplay mechanics. really dislike the more cinematic trend that many western games are taking. if i have to spend one more minute pushing boxes or ladders ill snap *shakes fist at uncharted 4*. Like in a medium where anything is possible who the fuck wants to push a box. I have boxes in real life that need moving, i call it work

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just hoping the Devil Breaker system isn't too limiting for the people who will still be playing DMC5 years after casual players have beaten it once and then sold or forgotten their copy.

The DMC series has one of the most loyal fanbases out there. DMC2, DmC, and the 10-year gap between 4 and 5 couldn't kill the small but dedicated community that's stuck with this series from the beginning. These fans' role in the DMC franchise's continued relevance in an industry that keeps trying to move beyond fast, deep, skill-based action games should not be underestimated. For the sake of the long term fans, I hope Itsuno's team makes DMC5 as deep and replayable as possible.
Not all long term DMC fans are skilled enough to do Guard Flying or many of the other advanced techs that Dante has in DMC4 thanks to the otf style switching. Most players just stick to one or two style and for the majority of them doing a couple of JCs in a combo is a big achievement. The people that make super impressive combo videos are like the %0.0001 top of the top DMC players, and while I'm not saying devs shouldn't think about them when designing the new mechanics for DMC5, they have every right to consider a system that in their mind would be overall better for all DMC players.

Personally I would love a way to switch to the breaker that I want, but I'm willing to give this system a chance before completely writing it off or calling it insulting.

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
Not all long term DMC fans are skilled enough to do Guard Flying or many of the other advanced techs that Dante has in DMC4 thanks to the otf style switching. Most players just stick to one or two style and for the majority of them doing a couple of JCs in a combo is a big achievement. The people that make super impressive combo videos are like the %0.0001 top of the top DMC players, and while I'm not saying devs shouldn't think about them when designing the new mechanics for DMC5, they have every right to consider a system that in their mind would be overall better for all DMC players.

Personally I would love a way to switch to the breaker that I want, but I'm willing to give this system a chance before completely writing it off or calling it insulting.
Switching styles isn't an advanced technique, guard flying we don't even know was an intended feature and is on a whole different level. I'd be like Dante losing a style each time he switches. Utilizing the all the styles takes time, but that allows players to grow on multiple play throughs, rather than have to manage their inventory...

And even in some write up articles about Gamescom demo, newer players were wondering why they couldn't switch. I feel the way it is limits them too because they will just stick with one breaker a long time instead of switching, out of fear of losing that said breaker. And newer players will also suffer more because breaker breaks when using it while getting hit.... So that aspect is definitely not new user friendly.

Sometimes it isn't about making everything accessible right away, but giving the player an option to grow in.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As if it's going to matter to the highest level DMC players. Most of them are going to abusing every gameplay element and pushing mechanics to the breaking point, probably in the ways never intended by the devs.

Oct 30, 2017
What's the opposite of 'cinematic'?

'Bombastic'?

dunno. yeah the term isnt exactly very descriptive of some of the current trends i see in western games that i find disengaging as a player, but i think most people who complain about know what im talking about. a focus on narrative and dialogue. lots of talking and walking. dialogue wheels where i feel like im directing a stage play, not playing a videogame etc.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

I disagree. Creativity can also be born out of the limitations that are placed. I can't put such an opinion out there when it is still uncertain how Nero can play out at a level where it would matter.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Did they just show all the devil breakers in that video? I didn't expect that.
Do we know if we can buy new skills,movesets for each arm with red orbs or something?

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I want to express my disappointment that some YouTubers use pictures with spoilers of the game like it is ok....
Jesus, I want the official announcements. Not like this...

This is such bullshit. Are you black? And if you are, how can you not know what stereotypes are for blacks? And again, I said major character. Morrison has only been in the first trailer for a couple seconds and hasn't been heard of since. Except someone said he was briefly mentioned in the demo. Big deal.
No offense or anything, but why does he need to be black? I'm not Chinese, but I know what sterotypes are for the Chinese.

And yes, Morrison is Major. There are no minor characters in a DMC game.

Oct 25, 2017
As a black guy looking at Nico's design. The only thing you can see is that she was tan at best. I doubt Capcom had any real thought at making her black. Morrison was probably on purpose tho.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm of East African descent, Lucia looks black to me. I don't get that bs regarding specific "features", as if there's a unifying look.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
No offense or anything, but why does he need to be black? I'm not Chinese, but I know what sterotypes are for the Chinese.

And yes, Morrison is Major. There are no minor characters in a DMC game.

Because giving a black person a southern accent doesn't make him a stereotype. Now making a black person with southern accent, with braids dressed in "gangsta clothes" is.

I just find it funny that a white person would tell a black person what makes a black character. Anyway I won't continue this debate anymore.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Switching styles isn't an advanced technique, guard flying we don't even know was an intended feature and is on a whole different level. I'd be like Dante losing a style each time he switches. Utilizing the all the styles takes time, but that allows players to grow on multiple play throughs, rather than have to manage their inventory...

And even in some write up articles about Gamescom demo, newer players were wondering why they couldn't switch. I feel the way it is limits them too because they will just stick with one breaker a long time instead of switching, out of fear of losing that said breaker. And newer players will also suffer more because breaker breaks when using it while getting hit.... So that aspect is definitely not new user friendly.

Sometimes it isn't about making everything accessible right away, but giving the player an option to grow in.
The reason for arms breaking/not having manual switch compared to Dante's styles, could be for balancing. Some of the moves we've seen from the arms do look quite OP and breaking an arm for using them/changing an arm could be a way to balance the game.

They also might've wanted people to think of these arms as a risk/reward mechanic and add a new strategic element to the fights. Lastly not to mention the arms breaking away forces people to use new ones and that could also be one of the reasons they decided to have this system. (and to differentiate Nero's arms from Dante's styles more)

Whatever it is the reason for them having breakable arms, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and at least wait until I play the demo, before dismissing it.

ColdVergil

Oct 25, 2017
Thats taking the easy way out. No she isn't.

Lucia has been confirmed a descendant of a long line of indigenous folk in the 3142 art book interviews. Next time don't be ignorant, actually investigate and don't whine just for the sake of whining.

r5CHCH6.png

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I want to express my disappointment that some YouTubers use pictures with spoilers of the game like it is ok....
Jesus, I want the official announcements. Not like this...

Need to install a video blocker. I saw some leaks myself already (of my own accord) but don't want anymore.

Ridiculous so many leaks months out from launch with this and RE2.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Nico's model was created scanning a real life model, same as with Dante and Nero:

Dl9SK-dUUAEanEr1.jpg

As to your second comment, Lucia in DMC2 is black.

Do you know who she is and her real name? I knew she was real person much like almost everyone there. We know Dante is Adam Cowe and Nero is Karlo Baker but who is the real Nico? Waiting to know who is the real V and the other characters.
The motion capture and mostly voice actors are surely different, just the old cast of course.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, this is awesome info. I hope we see Lucia again, she'd look amazing in the RE engine.

Seeing how: From the spoiler thread? This will bring you to the leak thread so only click if you want to know what will probably happen. :
Mod Edit: Please make sure that all spoilers are properly tagged outside of their respective spoiler threads so as to minimize accidental spoiling on part of unsuspecting members.

Last edited:

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017
With regards to Devil Breaker switching: I am certain the decision to make them finite in uses, along with having a fixed rotational order is part of balancing their power within the gameplay loop for Nero. This team made DMC4, and have a heritage with understanding the combat mechanics and game feel of this series. Personally I would like to be able to switch breakers during combat, but at this point in time we know very little about their implementation and distribution throughout the game.

Does Nico leave breakers strewn across every Nero mission for him to pick up? Can you select a load out pre-mission and does that effect which breakers are left in missions? Can you back track through levels to pick up breakers you missed or intentionally avoided? Do you simply loadout your breakers pre-mission, use them and then restock through Nico via phone booths, with no breakers within the levels as pick ups?

Once the actual implementation of Devil Breakers thought the game has been revealed, we can make a firm assessment as to whether they have been balanced appropriately for their effectiveness and overall power. Remember each breaker has 4 "lives" before they break and force you to move onto the next Breaker (lives are lost if you are hit while using the breakers move e.g Overture's Electric Palm thrust) and you can break them with their "Breakage" move. I would imagine these "Breakage" moves are still available even if you have 1/4 lives left on that individual breaker.

Not to mention you can manually break them with a dedicated move on LB that also has invincibility frames akin to DMC4 Nero's D.T Transformation which can cancel certain moves.

It may turn out that the seemingly limiting design of the Devil Breaker system may be balanced well, as long as their implementation and availability within the rest of the game facilitates the current design decision.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With regards to Devil Breaker switching: I am certain the decision to make them finite in uses, along with having a fixed rotational order is part of balancing their power within the gameplay loop for Nero. This team made DMC4, and have a heritage with understanding the combat mechanics and game feel of this series. Personally I would like to be able to switch breakers during combat, but at this point in time we know very little about their implementation and distribution throughout the game.

Does Nico leave breakers strewn across every Nero mission for him to pick up? Can you select a load out pre-mission and does that effect which breakers are left in missions? Can you back track through levels to pick up breakers you missed or intentionally avoided? Do you simply loadout your breakers pre-mission, use them and then restock through Nico via phone booths, with no breakers within the levels as pick ups?

Dropping some PAX observations: The biggest thing is that there's a number of breakers distributed between each major fight throughout the demo, often in a moderate sized room with nothing else of importance. It wouldn't surprise me if the two or three breakers we'd see in the demo exploded to hold six or seven breakers (Which may feature duplicates) in each of these refill rooms to give us a decent array of choices to draw from for upcoming fights. There's also an Overture Breaker in Goliath's boss arena off to a side, which does mean that at the very least, we could probably expect to have a handful of breakers tucked into the corners of longer combat encounters or Bloody Palace. There's no reason to believe otherwise that this is just a demo concession, as we'd only have four breakers to use across five or six larger fights before we hit a Nico Stop which is far too stingy.

Once the actual implementation of Devil Breakers thought the game has been revealed, we can make a firm assessment as to whether they have been balanced appropriately for their effectiveness and overall power. Remember each breaker has 4 "lives" before they break and force you to move onto the next Breaker (lives are lost if you are hit while using the breakers move e.g Overture's Electric Palm thrust) and you can break them with their "Breakage" move. I would imagine these "Breakage" moves are still available even if you have 1/4 lives left on that individual breaker.

There's no visible breaker health/meter on the UI to suggest there's a point where you couldn't breaker in the demo. Didn't want to find out since I wanted to get that S-Rank to make Papa Itsuno happy.