Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
WYRDOdn.png

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got my review key really late so I probably won't make the embargo time but it should be up before the game launches for sure. Tomorrow should be fun.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Wondered why I got like 20 notifications on my PS4. It was the preload and all the deluxe add ons. lol That icon music tho.

1.01 patch was included. Just added the Japanese VA option as well as "user option data collection flow" along with bug fixes.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Itsuno promised nothing less than the greatest action game of all time reviews are going to look good

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
It'd be cool if games with multiple campaigns got sub-scores for each character. Like what if Dante's game is awesome, and V's is only ok? (THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE DO NOT ASSUME I THINK V WILL BE BAD)

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really have no idea what to expect from the reviews.

DMC4 was over 10 years ago and had the obvious flaw of a padded/reused second half. And DmC was it's own can of worms. I guess I should be looking at games like Bayonetta 2 and Metal Gear Rising. Bayo 2 got 10s and large amount of praise, so maybe DMCV can pull the same so long as the mechanics remain solid and the characters are fun.

It's a shame those red orb microtransactions exist. They'll forever be a slight black mark that didn't need to be there.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
It'd be cool if games with multiple campaigns got sub-scores for each character. Like what if Dante's game is awesome, and V's is only ok? (THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE DO NOT ASSUME I THINK V WILL BE BAD)

It's not really multiple campaigns, it's a single campaign which switches between multiple characters.

So it's not like Leon/Claire in RE2, and more like Leon/Ada or Claire/Sherry.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I am a little concerned about the lack of time reviewers have to play through the game and write a review. Some just received their review code and now have 24(?) hours to beat the game and write about it if they want to make it in time for the embargo. As far as I understand, it is barely enough for one playthrough.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I am a little concerned about the lack of time reviewers have to play through the game and write a review. Some just received their review code and now have 24(?) hours to beat the game and write about it if they want to make it in time for the embargo. As far as I understand, it is barely enough for one playthrough.

I think that's just an isolated case.

Most of the reviewers received their game like a week ago.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

I thought review copies were sent out two weeks ago?

That said DMC is not a long game.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure most reviewers have had the game longer than a couple days. The embargo time was known about a week ago. I just got mine yesterday but I got it a lot later than other places. I also won't have mine up for the embargo time as I'm not rushing it. I wouldn't worry about it.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Red orbs appear to be as reasonable as the other games though. It's just that the shortcut is there for people who want to spend the money.

Sure, sure I get that it's optional. But this isn't like cosmetics in a game, it's basically paying for progression. I would feel the same if pokemon let you pay for exp boosters or any non free to play game letting you pay to bypass the intended progression for most players. It then calls into question whether the game might have been in some way designed around wanting some players to buy them and ugly conversations like that.

If they'd have kept it like RE2 and just sold costumes and music no one would bat an eye. But optional progression boosters are still icky to me.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
Sure, sure I get that it's optional. But this isn't like cosmetics in a game, it's basically paying for progression. I would feel the same if pokemon let you pay for exp boosters or any non free to play game letting you pay to bypass the intended progression for most players. It then calls into question whether the game might have been in some way designed around wanting some players to buy them and ugly conversations like that.

If they'd have kept it like RE2 and just sold costumes and music no one would bat an eye. But optional progression boosters are still icky to me.

Paying for single player games progression is something that's been happening for more than a decade now.

Back in X360 NFS Most Wanted you could buy the latter campaign cars if you wanted.

I understand that is annoying when a multi-player game has progression boosters but in a singleplayer one? If the game is well balanced (as it seems to be the case) it just doesn't make any harm.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017

I mean if you gain red orbs at similar rates to the previous games, then I kind of doesn't? If that's the case then if people want to buy red orbs, let 'em.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018

They've had em for a bit now. Majority of them anyways

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Mmm can't decide if I should get the deluxe on PS4 or standard on PC. The extras don't really call out to me since I have no idea how good these alternate versions are.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait to see how this runs on my new video card. RE2 ran buttery smooth with some slight tweaking

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Damn you already got the game?

Do you know if there's an option to completely turn off all of the HUD like in the launch trailer gameplay footage? The game looks super clean without all of the health bars and text cluttering the screen. Hoping there's an option to turn the HUD off like in RE2

there's no such option unfortunately

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

That's only if people don't understand how progression works in Devil May Cry.

Firstly, new weapons are gated through story meaning you still have to beat bosses to gain power, meaning you would never have something that the developers don't intend for you to have.

Secondly, because of how the players can choose to upgrade whichever available skills they want, each encounter has to be designed as if the player can use everything available at it's current level.

There is nothing you can do to escape the intended path.

Lastly, even if you get the move, it's useless if you don't know how to pull it off. We have people who don't even know how to use lock-on.

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
The game is more DMC (which is a good thing for me), so I'll expect Jim Sterling to take the game apart, for taking the series no more forward than DMC IV on the PS3/4. Just like he did for a game like Crackdown 3, which was more Crackdown

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
The game is more DMC (which is a good thing for me), so I'll expect Jim Sterling to take the game apart, for taking the series no more forward than DMC IV on the PS3/4. Just like he did for a game like Crackdown 3, which was more Crackdown

Going by his Twitter hint he's very impressed with DMC5

OP
OP
Rodjer

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

Nah

Jim didnt go to Days Gone or Sekiro media events so that's DMC 5 impressions.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Even though it doesn't play hardly any different to DMC IV, it's just more of the same. So one would expect Jim to rip it apart, but I bet the hypocrite won't

Why do people keep saying that? It plays hardly any different... Except this laundry list of difference and a new character while we're at it.

And please don't say "The controls are the same", that's silly and you know it.

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Why do people keep saying that? It plays hardly any different... Except this laundry list of difference and a new character while we're at it.

And please don't say "The controls are the same", that's silly and you know it,

There are a few differences in Crackdown 3. But if Jim is going to knock games for playing almost exactly like their 2006/7 counterparts. I'll expect him to him to do the same with DMC V. I'm willing to bet he'll not, because it hurt his likes...