• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Kyrie might have tried to protect Nero in that scene and he is shouting for her to get back.
Exactly. I think if Kyrie saw Nero down on the ground in a pool of blood, she would almost certainly try to help him. Whether Vergil would try to attack her or not, depends on if she does get in his way.
If you're getting an extra arm, might as well get an extra leg!

I actually doubt anything happened to Kyrie since Nero seemed pretty jolly for most of the trailer.
I hope not.
As uninteresting as Kirie was, that'd be a lame storyline to fall back on.
And have to agree with the others, Nero was way too happy partying with Nico to have just lost Kyrie. Guessing she's safe and sound at home, she's just a normal person so there would be zero point for her to come along.
To be clear I don't want Kyrie to die, just have her be off-screen the entire game maybe except for the opening and ending.

But in regards to the argument that Nero is too calm in the trailer for Kiryu to be dead, we don't know when this flashback takes place. It might be years before the event of DMCV. So Nero could've had time to process her the death to some extent. Also, I think it's pretty clear towards the end of the trailer that he will lose his shit when he sees Vergil.
A few frames after your 2nd pic, but before the 3rd one, you can see a symbol on Vergil's right sleeve, that symbol to me heavily resembles the Order of the Sword, just not as ornate.
I think that's just part of his outfit design. Doubt it has anything to do with Order of the Sword.
HpzJN0vc.png

It's a possibility, but I'd wonder why, as it wouldn't fit what we know about Vergil/Angelo.

Angelo was always prided as "a noble demon who believed in fair play", even when Mundus was fully controlling his actions. Vergil, on the other hand, never went out of his way to slay innocents (though I'm sure he didn't care if his actions would have a greater impact on innocents around him, if his plot in DMC3 succeeded, for example).

So, the idea that he would fridge Kyrie, unless he deemed her a threat, just doesn't fit, to me. At least based on DMC1 and 3. Either Angelo is not fully in control of his actions to an even worse degree than his days serving Mundus, or something is very wrong...

...or GILVER is back.
Well, I see this Vergil as a corrupt version of the character (that's actually mentioned in the PR as well). So he might do stuff that Vergil wouldn't normally do. Like I doubt normal Vergil would just appear out of the blue and rip his son's arm to get Yamato back. That's way too cold even for Vergil (who does actually care about his family)

So we don't know what this corrupt Vergil is capable of or what his goal might be.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
the odds of the "V" character being vergil's good half are fairly high
I'd be down for a rebellious bad girl Kyrie.
I've thought for a while that having Kyrie basically perform the Annie Potts/Ghostbusters role in the Devil May Cry shop would be great. she can take calls and get coffee and pizza for everyone.

It's also fine for Kyrie to just vanish offscreen between installments. Happens to plenty of boring love interests. Killing her for shock value would be dumb though.

Last edited:

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Mary Jane, even at her inception is a character with 1000% the depth of Kyrie. Even Trish has some form of purpose and character growth. She just needs her sexualisation toned down.

Kryries whole point is to be a plot point. A princess in the castle to be rescued. She is useless and a distraction. She is as useful dead as alive.
The game is darker, but it won't be that edgy, thats DmC shit
There is no reason for Kyrie to die, Nero has enough with his arm getting fucking stolen!
And he wouldn't be having so much fun if Kyrie was killed.

Plus they will get married in the ending <3

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Can someone please explain fridging? Seen it in a few threads today and not sure what it means or what I missed.

Thanks!
Fridging is a trope/plot device where women, typically love interests or family of the main male protagonist, are killed off by an antagonist in order to give motivation to said protagonist. Aside from being fairly lazy on the part of the writer, it's also pretty sexist since it reinforces the whole "disposable women" trope by devaluing the value of a female character to simply being motivation for a male character, treating them instead as plot devices to move the male character's arc forwards.

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
Exactly. I think if Kyrie saw Nero down on the ground in a pool of blood, she would almost certainly try to help him. Whether Vergil would try to attack her or not, depends on if she does get in his way.

To be clear I don't want Kyrie to die, just have her be off-screen the entire game maybe except for the opening and ending.

But in regards to the argument that Nero is too calm in the trailer for Kiryu to be dead, we don't know when this flashback takes place. It might be years before the event of DMCV. So Nero could've had time to process her the death to some extent. Also, I think it's pretty clear towards the end of the trailer that he will lose his shit when he sees Vergil.

I think that's just part of his outfit design. Doubt it has anything to do with Order of the Sword.
HpzJN0vc.png

Well, I see this Vergil as a corrupt version of the character (that's actually mentioned in the PR as well). So he might do stuff that Vergil wouldn't normally do. Like I doubt normal Vergil would just appear out of the blue and rip his son's arm to get Yamato back. That's way too cold even for Vergil (who does actually care about his family)

So we don't know what this corrupt Vergil is capable of or what his goal might be.

Huh, looks like I was too focused on the right sleeve symbol which isn't covered, found a screen grab here:
CqvYdI.md.png

But seeing the symbol on the left side is just an identical flip/mirror, this indeed is just his design, otherwise the symbol should stay the same on both sleeves.

Kishido

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But am I the only one annoyed that Vergil is "corrupted" again... I thought we have been over this after DMC.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The demon tree could be corrupting humans and turning them into demons.
Maybe Vergil kinda "saved" Nero by ripping his arm off because it was getting corrupted?

Vergil did get character development, but I can see him being more on the "more power" side still.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ya know how some DMC1's enemies were RE4.5 rejects?

I wonder of those space insects were taken from lost concept art for the infected from recent RE games.. the first time I saw them in the trailer it made me think that Capcom gave RE2 the RE6 treatment. LOL.

Last edited:

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
Ya know how some DMC1's enemies were RE4.5 rejects?

I wonder of those space insects were taken from lost infect concept art from recent RE games.. the first time I saw them in the trailer it made me think that Capcom gave RE2 the RE6 treatment. LOL.

Yeah, those bug men gave off heavy bio vibes when I first saw the trailer. I tend to agree with Dust up there, these are human turned demons, because we do get those hellborn hell prides from 3 as well.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There was an official post on the Japanese twitter about the new bad guy.

Demon emperor, stronger than Mundus even (who is prince of darkness).

Finally an actual threat to the gang!

Ciphyde

Nov 22, 2017
Am I the only one that wants DMC5 to have a castle-like environment in later parts of the game? I mean cities are cool, but give me some DMC1 nostalgia

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

We are talking about the same Vergil that had no problem running his own twin brother through with his bro's own sword, because he wanted his amulet half.

Sure, we can assume Vergil knew his brother could survive such a thing, but if that's the case, there's no reason to not assume Vergil couldn't believe his other relation couldn't function after losing an arm.

If he's still under Mundus' control (or whomever is the Demon Emperor now), then that would be one thing. But for now, I think it's just Vergil operating under his usual MO. "I need this, and I ain't asking nicely for it. You can get up by yourself and come after me, if you git gud."

bar_bar12

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Does Vergil even know that Nero is his son? He could've just showed up and was like "Oh a silver haired fellow with Yamato. Neat" and just yanked his arm off.

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
There was an official post on the Japanese twitter about the new bad guy.

Demon emperor, stronger than Mundus even (who is prince of darkness).

Finally an actual threat to the gang!

Link to the tweet please, press release from 4gamer only mentioned demon emperor, no stronger than Mundus stuff.

Saw the tweet, nevermind. I misunderstood that phrase, it's a "demon/demonic force" even more powerful than the demon emperor is stirring, demon emperor (魔帝) always refers to Mundus.

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
We are talking about the same Vergil that had no problem running his own twin brother through with his bro's own sword, because he wanted his amulet half.

Sure, we can assume Vergil knew his brother could survive such a thing, but if that's the case, there's no reason to not assume Vergil couldn't believe his other relation couldn't function after losing an arm.

If he's still under Mundus' control (or whomever is the Demon Emperor now), then that would be one thing. But for now, I think it's just Vergil operating under his usual MO. "I need this, and I ain't asking nicely for it. You can get up by yourself and come after me, if you git gud."

I agree. Cutting off his own son's arm is something Vergil would totally do without hesitation.

Oct 25, 2017

Yea nothing gets between Vergil and THE POWER OF SPARDA.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Does Vergil even know that Nero is his son? He could've just showed up and was like "Oh a silver haired fellow with Yamato. Neat" and just yanked his arm off.
That's the funny thing.

Because I can easily imagine a scenario where Vergil would just assume it's his brother's kid, completely forgetting his own torrid affair with a prostitute in Fortuna years ago. Later on in the storyline, pieces are put together or Dante having to spell it out for him and then Vergil's all like.

"Aw, shit."

bar_bar12

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That's the funny thing.

Because I can easily imagine a scenario where Vergil would just assume it's his brother's kid, completely forgetting his own torrid affair with a prostitute in Fortuna years ago. Later on in the storyline, pieces are put together or Dante having to spell it out for him and then Vergil's all like.

"Aw, shit."
Leaked image of Vergil finding out Nero is his son

maxresdefault.jpg

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since when is Nero's mom a prostitute lol.

I don't think either of them are aware at that point in time. Vergil just homed in on the sword probably and that's all that he is there for.

I'm guessing Nero and Vergil will engage in a full on fight later in the game and will find out their relation when Dante butts in.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Vergil treasures Yamato, it's his and his only.
He would definitely take it by force from anyone.

Besides Vergil gameplay without Yamato would be assss, I want Judgement Cuts.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Since when is Nero's mom a prostitute lol.

I don't think either of them are aware at that point in time. Vergil just homed in on the sword probably and that's all that he is there for.

I'm guessing Nero and Vergil will engage in a full on fight later in the game and will find out their relation when Dante butts in.
"I got a score to settle with that son of a bitch!"
"You watch that tongue boy! Don't talk about your grandma like that!"
"...what?"

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
Nero being Vergil son is not likely based on their age and it's only fan-fiction tier theory up to this point. Nero is probably the third lost sibling of both, when Eva survived/reincarnated somehow and nobody is aware of that yet. But Vergil doesn't GAF about family and bloodlines for sure, he's only looking after his own personal interest.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Nero being Vergil son is not likely based on their age and it's only fan-fiction tier theory up to this point. Nero is probably the third lost sibling of both, when Eva survived/reincarnated somehow and nobody is aware of that yet.

It was confirmed in the DMC3142 Artbook.

Gargantua

Banned
May 8, 2018
As unpopular as it might sound, this is my most hyped game coming from E32018
Single-player linear-gaming is not dead bitch!
So excited

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
There is also tons of hints that he is Vergil's son in dmc4 itself.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
every DMC title (except DMC2) had a son of sparda boss fight and DmC sorely lacked the over the top stylish action display/choreography.

I can't wait for this time around, especially with Itsuno doing his thang, with photorealisitic graphics and returning action choreography artists and cast.

Its gonna be amazing.

TiduzOmni

Oct 25, 2017
As unpopular as it might sound, this is my most hyped game coming from E32018
Single-player linear-gaming is not dead bitch!
So excited

im actually totally with you, ive been waiting for YEARS.

and im not dissapointed at all. only thing im dissapointed in is waiting another year or whatever, but atleast it exists now!

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
every DMC title (except DMC2) had a son of sparda boss fight and DmC sorely lacked the over the top stylish action display/choreography.

I can't wait for this time around, especially with Itsuno doing his thang, with photorealisitic graphics and returning action choreography artists and cast.

Its gonna be amazing.

And the best part is that we know they will be going all out since they have the time, the money and also don't have to hold anything back for a sequel (since this is the finale for the entire saga).

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Even if we agree that Vergil didn't care about Dante and his family at the beginning of DMC3 (which I don't agree with, he fully knew that Dante would survive that, I mean they are twin brothers, he knows what are Dante's powers), Vergil clearly realizes that he was wrong by the end of DMC3 and shows that he cares for Dante when says that Dante needs to get out of demon world if he doesn't wanna get trapped there. (and then jumping off that cliff so Dante would actually leave instead of sticking around to bring Vergil back to human world)

Not to mention, he was willing to share the power of Sparda with Dante at the beginning but Dante refused him and denied their father, so Vergil had no choice but to take the amulet by force. So considering all of that, at the very least, I think would've told Nero to give Yamato back to him, before showing up out of the blue and literally ripping the arm of his son in mere seconds.

Also Vergil is not his usual self in this game. He is corrupted and that corruption will most definitely have a huge impact on his actions. I mean, if the corruption only had a visual effect on Vergil's skin, I doubt Dante would've been so mad that he would go on a vengeance trip for Vergil's sake.

From Capcom's PR:
Dante, seeks vengeance for his brother's corruption and his mother's murder.

Nero being Vergil son is not likely based on their age and it's only fan-fiction tier theory up to this point. Nero is probably the third lost sibling of both, when Eva survived/reincarnated somehow and nobody is aware of that yet. But Vergil doesn't GAF about family and bloodlines for sure, he's only looking after his own personal interest.
Not only the 3.1.4.2 book confirms this, but the VAs for Dante, Nero and Vergil confirmed this as well. Reuben (Dante's VA) said that the team expected for people to put the hints together and figure it out but instead people went crazy and thought Nero was Sparda re-incarnated or Vergil somehow stored himself in Nero's arm, etc.

And not to mention the very very clear hint at that red dress girl passing by Vergil in the DMC4SE's opening.