• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
dtotd6kt8.jpg

Developed by: Valhalla Game Studios
Published by: Nintendo
Platform: Wii U
Release Dates: August 4, 2015 (JP) / August 28, 2015 (EU) / August 29, 2015 (AU) / December 11, 2015 (NA)
Genre: Melee Brawler x Shooter Mashup
Local Multiplayer: No
Online Multiplayer: Yes (16 players) [region locked - PAL (EU+AUS), JP, NA are all separate; not cross-platform w/ F2P Devil's Third Online on PC] (was shutdown on December 29, 2016)
Microtransactions: Yes, you can buy Golden Eggs for use in multiplayer (to be shutdown on June 27, 2016)
Supported Controllers: Wii U GamePad, Wii U Pro Controller, USB Keyboard (for text chat online)
Motion Control: No, none.
Off-TV Play: Yes
eShop download file size: 16.4GB (JP) / 15.2GB (PAL)
eManual PDF: English
Game getting a global permanent price drop on the eShop on June 24, 2016:
Japan: from 7 236 Yen to 3 618 Yen
Europe: from €59.99 / £49.99 to €29.99 / £24.99
North America: $59.99 to $29.99

dtstoryjxjl2.jpg

"At the heart of the single-player campaign is the tattooed bruiser Ivan, aka 'The Ghost'. A former mercenary, he is let loose from his incarceration at Guantanamo Bay to right the wrongs of his past, and take down a shadowy group he once belonged to, the School of Democracy (SOD, yes they actually call it "sod"). With the world's satellites and electrical weaponry wiped out, warfare is once again reduced to close combat between soldiers. Cue the Russian; cue the hurt'"

ci16_wiiu_devilsthird9uklu.jpg

dtgameplaygakh3.jpg

Devil's Third is a weird blend of Itagaki's signature melee combat and first-(occasionally third-)person-shooting with some fancy traversal mechanics thrown into the mix. Ivan can slide, throw his sword at enemies, shoot from the hip, go into first-person to shoot at enemies, jump over obstacles and quickly climb up stuff to get some verticality out of combat encounters. Mastering these things will be key to becoming the Perfect Bald Man.
sliiiiiidezsuoz.gif

ci16_wiiu_devilsthirdb0sfg.jpg

tumblr_nrwr5oo5Fq1s8ouhxo2_500.gif

dtmulti3yjqr.jpg

The secret highlight of Devil's Third is its multiplayer. Nintendo let it be known that some modes and features will become available only after launch. Starting September 1st, Carnival (classified as a "rule set) will be made available as well as the "Badlands" map and a new weapon. There'll also be a 5x XP from Sep 1st to Sep 5th in Carnival mode.

CNarSPlWUAAeBXa.jpg

Here's a rundown of the modes from Nintendo UK's website:
Not only does Devil's Third offer a huge slab of game styles, but you'll be able to customize several elements to your taste, too. Drill mode gives you ten ways to decimate your foes. As well as traditional offerings like deathmatch, domination and melee-only modes, there's plenty more to discover.

Players can fully customize their character.

DRILL MODE
Carnival
Pick up fruit and lob as much as you can into the food mixer on the map! Different fruits have different points values, so some fruits are bound to be hotly contested.

ci16_wiiu_devilsthirdjvsbb.jpg

Chickens
Capture and control chickens! More chickens, more points. Why not steal chickens from adversaries?!

ci16_wiiu_devilsthirdjbsyd.jpg

Transporter
"Swipe the enemy’s suitcase, and get the top-secret docs within back to base. Whoever carries the suitcase has reduced movement, though, so play the defensive game as a team!"

ci16_wiiu_devilsthirdpjske.jpg

Gladiator
Lots of enemies, only one weapon – the sooner you find it, the sooner you can gain the advantage.

ci16_wiiu_devilsthird6is63.jpg

SIEGE MODE

Clans:
-Join a clan
-You can check requirements, size and payout before joining
-Or: Create a clan. Become General
-Customize name, emblem, pay for members, decide who's captain, kick people out, ally your clan with other

Fortresses:
-General controls fortress
-Pick a spot on the world map to construct your fortress
-Repair or demolish buildings from the map, pick gear like weapons, surveillance equipment and radar jammers
-Expand fortress over time to cover up to three areas across new zones
-Each zone has a command post
-Increase stats like health & strength

ci16_wiiu_devilsthird7dsgk.jpg

Clan Battles
-Destroy enemy clan's command posts within 6 minutes or hold your base until the time runs out
-Players not part of a clan can also join as mercenaries that are randomly assigned to a team!

dtstuffwgjjn.jpg

What's with all this Perfect Bald Man stuff?
Official Website (UK)
Developer Interview video with Itagaki

E3 2014 Treehouse Live

ci16_wiiu_devilsthirdgdsei.jpg

Hey guys,
Thank you for playing our Devil's Third.

I believe that those of you who actually have the game in your hands are more than satisfied with how interesting and fun the game is.

Unfortunately the scores we've been receiving in Europe are pretty awful.

Some of the criticism we're getting is constructive and fair - I can accept that.

But in general, I'm going to guess that most of the people reviewing the game weren't given a chance to evaluate it properly.

Just as one example, we designed the online multiplayer mode to be enjoyed together with tons of people, but it seems dozens of reviewers were only allowed to try the game in a closed environment.

That's extremely unfortunate for everyone involved. As you can imagine, no one can effectively evaluate the playability of multiplayer games under these conditions.

For me though, I value the feedback you guys can offer much more.

Please enjoy the game for yourselves.

After that, let me know everything about what you're thinking, so that we can make a better future.

Gamers, let's build a future together

Thanks as always.
Tomonobu Itagaki
https://www.facebook.com/tomonobu.itagaki/posts/1609551492642296

dthirdboxquartet4gbyx.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Isn't the multiplayer still alive through Rockshot?
What is Rockshot?

Official MP is dead on Wii U.

Hey, I didn't know this OT existed!!

I had a great time playing through this on Wii U when it came out. Single player. I never tried the multiplayer and now it's too late for me as the servers are now down.

Check 'iconoclast575'. He's made some really nice high level play videos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfI6IYca_kvMyyIQQL8FP48C1HDyC8tKe
I reposted all my OTs from the "old place" here a couple of months ago.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of all games to have a OT, this is not one I expected. Unfortunate that the multiplayer is dead, that was really fun :(