• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vinnykappa

Oct 27, 2017
Update3: 8 hours later, the review score sits at 43% (mixed) down from 95% (overwhelmingly positive).

-------------------------------
Update2: Dev apologized.

Rough translation:
Our team often reference popular internet memes for placeholders in the prototype stage. We accidentally did not delete all of them in this version because of release sync. We do not have any intention to attack or insult. They have been removed in v1.0.5.

This controversy shows that our team is not careful enough in the due process. As a gaming company, we have a lot to improve. We apologize for all affected parties. Please forgive us.

All responsibilities are on us.

Comments are all insults against the devs.

-----------------------------
Update1: Player reported that easter egg in question has been deleted by devs.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Original post:

Devotion is the recent top-selling horror game on Steam about backwards traditional Chinese culture and its suppression to women. It is developed by an indie Taiwan dev, sold insane numbers in China and has been streamed by most big Chinese streamers. Previous thread on its success.

A few hours ago Taiwan players discovered an easter egg on an in-game poster.

lnPlduu.jpg

In traditional Chinese, the red seal on the poster, upon very close examination, reads "Xi Jinping" on the right, and "Winnie the Pooh" on the left. The four corners read "Your (mom) moron" in Taiwan dialect. The poster is a Fulu, sort of like an instant talisman in Chinese mythology to dispel evil.

Then about one hour ago, Chinese player learned about this, and began to review bomb the game. This is what the recent review looks like. Most reasons read: "Game is game, no hidden agenda!" "Insulting our Chinese national leader" "Secretly push Taiwan Independence agenda " "I want a refund because of your agenda".

Meanwhile in China, any discussion on Devotion is banned on major gaming forums such as NGA.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Xi Jinping's crushing inability to get over the Winnie the Pooh comparison will never not be the funniest fucking thing for me.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they never realize that the angrier they get over this Pooh stuff, the funnier it gets and the more people will do it.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
"Secretly push an agenda"
Where have I read this before? Hmmm...

Don't give in, keep it in.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
This is giving me that tiny extra push to buy this game, given that it's gotten really good buzz and looks amazing.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
That's dope. This wont put the devs in any trouble with their own government or China's would it..?

Not here in Taiwan. It's a free country; you can say what you want about leaders. Might run into some trouble if you want to visit the mainland, I guess.

I always got a heavy NPP/Taiwan independence vibe from these devs; nice to see it confirmed.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I don't know if I should feel bad because I find this whole Winnie the Pooh situation hilarious.
Keep it, devs.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
LOL

Also another reason why Steam should delete user reviews.
Why?

If there are people that don't like the joke and don't want to support the game because of it, why is that bad? If those people that bought it were upset why shouldn't they be allowed to review the game?

I just don't get why so many users on here want reviews removed from steam. They have helped me buy games that would never get any press.

Slowsonic

Feb 25, 2018
China actually outright bans all supernatural or spiritual sort of things in films, games or books.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Why?

If there are people that don't like the joke and don't want to support the game because of it, why is that bad? If those people that bought it were upset why shouldn't they be allowed to review the game?

I just don't get why so many users on here want reviews removed from steam. They have helped me buy games that would never get any press.
Brigading and mindless fanboy wars.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Why?

Because the people who don't like the joke are supporting a brutal dictator

Oct 25, 2017
lol fuck Xi Jinpig

Why?

i don't have that many issues with steam reviews but yeah, fuck this. omg let's defend a dictator leadership

fuck that

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Why would you not want to be Winnie the Pooh? He doesn't have to wear pants, eats a bunch of honey, and does pretty much whatever he wants all the time.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I didn't know about the Xi-Pooh similarity before, but yeah. This is fantastic. I should look into Devotion.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I remember that sign when I played the game! A shame the devs caved in and removed it, but when there's so much money on the line, especially for an indie dev, I guess it'd be hard not to.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
1) i dont think they look alike at all

2) imagine being this ruffled as the leader let ALONE random citizens