Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
People are confusing the weird low texture bug on the 120FPS mode with the bit lower texture filtering and resolution in the Image Quality mode, which is this:
GDzdyKo.png
Sadly this image is quite low quality, but I would guess it to be due VRS.
Most notable place to look is the transparent break light. (area which shouldn't be under sampled.)

So independent from actual texture resolution or sampling.

Gatling

Nov 3, 2020
hm, i have tried Dirt 5 with 4k-120hz-hdr on my Samsung Q90T. But i cannot get everything. Only 4k and 120hz but no HDR than... Somebody knows if there is a issue with that at the moment?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I could understand if he downloaded the PS4 version by mistake, but he also tried to pass the XSX version resolution mode as the 120hz mode.
People honestly have a sickness when it comes to information I honestly do not understand the level of biases people have today to go such lengths to not believe experts in their fields. It's actually pretty gross it's not just gaming but in so many things people watch a few videos and think they can tell a game has raytracing or detect ssr or in extreme cases think they can accurately evaluate a games performance lol.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Most notable place to look is the transparent break light. (area which shouldn't be under sampled.)

Does VRS effect resolution? I think I remember reading about how VRS in Gears 5 made it seem dynamic resolution when it wasn't? I could be wrong though.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017

If this is VRS, then they need to scrap it :) What is the VRS putting all the rendering resolution towards then in this comparison picture?

Here is a higher quality picture of that comparison
https://i.imgur.com/gemkJOJ.jpg open in another tab so you can see the full scale of it
gemkJOJ.jpg
All around in that shot the XSX is awfully soft and lacks definition. When I look at the dirt in comparison to the PS5, man, it's like a smudge.

Twitter was a mistake
Social Media of pretty much any type was

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the hardware advantage series x has what do you guys think is the issue? Maybe its developing one sku to scale across series s and x, therefore they use lower quality assets for the series sku to accommodate for series s?

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
With the hardware advantage series x has what do you guys think is the issue? Maybe its developing one sku to scale across series s and x, therefore they use lower quality assets for the series sku to accommodate for series s?
It is the development kits coming extremely late. Last night on the spawncast Modern Vintage Gamer (he knew halo was gonna be delayed based on what he heard before the showings) and Nate the Hate confirmed kits came in very late

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Does VRS effect resolution? I think I remember reading about how VRS in Gears 5 made it seem dynamic resolution when it wasn't? I could be wrong though.
VRS allows developer to reduce resolution in which polygon is shaded.

As it uses MSAA hardware, it doesn't affect polygon edges and they resolve in full resolution.

I do not remember Gears5 using it, I know tactics did.
Sadly haven't seen them outside videos.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Probably a multitude of things. Late dev kits/sdk, multiple platforms to develop for during COVID, PS5 easier to develop for. Differences in HW might make PS5 a bit better suited to cross gen engine/games?

VRS allows developer to reduce resolution in which polygon is shaded.

As it uses MSAA hardware, it doesn't affect polygon edges and they resolve in full resolution.

I do not remember Gears5 using it, I know tactics did.
Sadly haven't seen them outside videos.
Gears5 does use it. It looks really crisp on my screen, like native 4k.

unic0rn

Banned
Oct 8, 2020
AMD doesn't have anything like tensor cores, so Im not holding my breath that it will perform nearly as good as dlls. But even if its half as good, it would be neat.

Tensor cores are just operating at lower precision, RDNA2 is capable of using generic compute cores for that, which can operate at precision as low as int4 (think of it this way: higher precision compute unit is divided into several lower precision ones, software can use it either way - it's a simplification, there are several precisions to choose from and it isn't something new, but only RDNA2 went as low as int4 I think, which is ideal for some machine learning scenarios).

lopatakal

Nov 16, 2020
I think they fix only incorrect lod model/distance in 120 hz mode, but they ned fix all the game, 60 hz mode broken too in terms of resolution, texture filtering, grass distance etc. At home I have both consoles and this only in this game, CoD: CW the same (maybe slightly better in 120 hz mode in XSX), DMC5 is better on xbox, Watch Dogs the same, but Dirt 5 is fully broken on XSX. I think they can't fix all this problem, maybe engine can't scale on 52 slow CU's.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I think they fix only incorrect lod model/distance in 120 hz mode, but they ned fix all the game, 60 hz mode broken too in terms of resolution, texture filtering, grass distance etc. At home I have both consoles and this only in this game, CoD: CW the same (maybe slightly better in 120 hz mode in XSX), DMC5 is better on xbox, Watch Dogs the same, but Dirt 5 is fully broken on XSX. I think they can't fix all this problem, maybe engine can't scale on 52 slow CU's.
Must cost you a fortune buying two copies of every game.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
It is the development kits coming extremely late. Last night on the spawncast Modern Vintage Gamer (he knew halo was gonna be delayed based on what he heard before the showings) and Nate the Hate confirmed kits came in very late
So, basically confirming what many have been saying. good times ahead. Is there a link? I would like to listen to it.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
So, basically confirming what many have been saying. good times ahead. Is there a link? I would like to listen to it.
It's on spawns wave channel I believe it'satound the last 30-40 min mark (not really sure due to being live) . Don't have the live chat on for reasons.

youtu.be

GOTY Nominations, PS5 & XSX First Week, Age of Calamity | SpawnCast Ep 190

Powered by Restream https://restream.io/Join us as we talk about the past week in games!Donate to help the show here: https://streamlabs.com/spawnwave#PS5 #X...

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
I know people are saying stop using the kits as an excuse but we have multiple sources confirming this issue. Many of them also stated to not be worried about the "performance" differences being shown now. These two consoles still have a lot more to show
Thing is, and if you have links I'd love to see them, all I have seen is "the kits are late" and I have not seen ANYTHING on why this would mean we'd see what we're seeing. "They aren't mature" is not what I'm after, I'm after "DX12 Ultimate requires doing X, Y and Z for good perf or else your textures are blurry" for instance. I want to hear specifics. Without it, it's all conjecture and we have no idea when games will be fixed or when they will automatically start finally being on par with PS5 even.

unic0rn

Banned
Oct 8, 2020
Or the guy clearly made a mistake and apologized for it?

Two mistakes in a row? And then "oopsie, sorry"? After he got his share of youtube and twitter traffic?

Do you have any idea what kind of stress such morons put John under? Because ignoring it would be equal to letting those lies run rampant for some time, so while I would imagine he would love to just block him, the journalist inside him thinks Digital Foundry followers deserve the truth, so he needs to have a patience of a saint while dealing with idiots like that.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Two mistakes in a row? And then "oopsie, sorry"? After he got his share of youtube and twitter traffic?

Do you have any idea what kind of stress such morons put John under? Because ignoring it would be equal to letting those lies run rampant for some time, so while I would imagine he would love to just block him, the journalist inside him thinks Digital Foundry followers deserve the truth, so he needs to have a patience of a saint while dealing with idiots like that.
Yeah this isn't some mistake. People who are actually good at what they do would look into WHY they are having a weird result and would've easily found that they have an issue on their end vs trying to accuse others of being wrong. That's not a simple mistake lol.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah this isn't some mistake. People who are actually good at what they do would look into WHY they are having a weird result and would've easily found that they have an issue on their end vs trying to accuse others of being wrong. That's not a simple mistake lol.

Id be dubious myself, but the guys post history checks out. Seems to love his consoles, both ps5 and series X.

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Or the guy clearly made a mistake and apologized for it?
It wasn't a mistake. First he claimed DF were not playing the Series X version because his version didn't have that bug despite being told the 120fps mode has that bug, he insisted by comparing to priotize framerate in 60fps mode. When that didn't work he decided to use the PS4 version to prove the PS5 had the same problem. This is not the first time he has done this, he also claimed Valhalla on XSX has greater draw distance compared to PS5 while using a clearly poor quality capture on PS5 to "prove" it.

And the cherry on top is that he claimed he paid $60 for the PS5 version to prove Digital Foundry wrong but in his later post claims he got a PR code for free.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
So people on twitter are trying to pass the PS4 version as the PS5 version to claim DF was lying.... unbelievable what some people will do for a piece of plastic

To be fair, his PS5 may have auto downloaded the PS4 version on it's own and he possibly launched it by accident without even thinking about it, something you wouldn't really notice without checking.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
It's on spawns wave channel I believe it'satound the last 30-40 min mark (not really sure due to being live) . Don't have the live chat on for reasons.

youtu.be

GOTY Nominations, PS5 & XSX First Week, Age of Calamity | SpawnCast Ep 190

Powered by Restream https://restream.io/Join us as we talk about the past week in games!Donate to help the show here: https://streamlabs.com/spawnwave#PS5 #X...

Thanks guys.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
Thing is, and if you have links I'd love to see them, all I have seen is "the kits are late" and I have not seen ANYTHING on why this would mean we'd see what we're seeing. "They aren't mature" is not what I'm after, I'm after "DX12 Ultimate requires doing X, Y and Z for good perf or else your textures are blurry" for instance. I want to hear specifics. Without it, it's all conjecture and we have no idea when games will be fixed or when they will automatically start finally being on par with PS5 even.
I agree it would be interesting to have specifics, but I doubt any dev would bother - and that's totally understandable.
I mean we're talking bugs/optimization/development (depending on the case) that are discovered and fixed within days.

Dirt 5 released not even two weeks ago and a major patch is confirmed to be on its way. DMC5 was supposed to ship without ray tracing on XSX, and it was finally confirmed like a couple of days before the release day (or even on day one? can't remember).
These look like last-minute bugfixes/optimization that would take longer to justify or explain in details than it takes to actually work on them (exaggerating, obviously, but you see my point).

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think what's amusing to me about this whole situation besides how the results are the polar opposite of what was expected, is how quickly some people adopt different narratives.

For months now certain enthusiasts and insiders have been pushing this narrative that the PS5 was rushed together and overclocked in a last minute attempt to bridge the performance gap with the XSX, that the clockspeeds cannot be maintained and that its true performance is closer to 9Tflop or less, that it's coming in far hotter and so on. That it was Microsoft's system that was ahead in design and development.

Now these comparisons come out, and the narrative from these same insiders and people appears to be that actually it was Sony that were well ahead in development, tools and hardware, and that it was actually Microsoft who was behind (contrary to Inside Xbox interviews and the tech director of Codemasters etc stating otherwise).

I hope after all this is over, people start to put less stock in the specific insiders and sources that spread misinformation or misled, and also in marketing buzzwords that in the grand scheme don't really mean much. But who am I kidding?

Side note, JSchreier, Digital Foundry and Matt all vindicated in their early musings.

Dirt 5 developers do not appear to think so.

Q: What is it like developing on Xbox Series X?

A: Transitioning development to a new console platform, like Xbox Series X, is usually very painful. You have to deal with new tools, new workflows, new ways of thinking.

This time around the team at Xbox brought me a new toolset called the Game Development Kit, which they already had up and running on Xbox One.

This meant that we could make the transition much earlier. In fact, we started doing the groundwork for Xbox Series X development long before we even received the hardware. This kind of thinking from Xbox allowed us to get a real head-start on next-gen development, so after receiving our early Xbox Series X hardware, we were up and running really quickly.

For me, the most important thing in making a videogame is the relationships. Working with Xbox, is a partnership – the team at Xbox is committed to helping us make a great videogame and they've shown that to me again and again. That means being open and honest about our experiences; what we've loved and perhaps even what we've found difficult in development has had meaningful, visible impact on the updates that I get for the tools for Series X. (Shout out to our development partner at Xbox, Richard Hackett! Thanks Rich!)

I've never worked on a console launch where, while we're still months away from release, the tools have been this mature, this stable, this easy to work with.

news.xbox.com

Inside Xbox Series X Optimized: Dirt 5 - Xbox Wire

When it launches this holiday, Xbox Series X will be the most powerful console the world has ever seen. One of the biggest benefits of all that power is giving developers the ability to make games that are Xbox Series X Optimized. This means that they’ve taken full advantage of the unique...

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
I think what's amusing to me about this whole situation besides how the results are the polar opposite of what was expected, is how quickly some people adopt different narratives.

For months now certain enthusiasts and insiders have been pushing this narrative that the PS5 was rushed together and overclocked in a last minute attempt to bridge the performance gap with the XSX, that the clockspeeds cannot be maintained and that its true performance is closer to 9Tflop or less, and so on. That it was Microsoft's system that was ahead in design and development.

Now these comparisons come out, and the narrative from these same insiders and people appears to be that actually it was Sony that were well ahead in development, tools and hardware, and that it was actually Microsoft who was behind (contrary to Inside Xbox interviews etc that said otherwise).

I hope after all this is over, people start to put less stock in the specific insiders and sources that spread misinformation or misled, and also in marketing buzzwords that in the grand scheme don't really mean much. But who am I kidding?

Side note, JSchreier, Digital Foundry and Matt all vindicated in their early musings.

Yeah, it's the continued need to make excuses that is frustrating. With the PS3, Sony was, rightfully, called out for making claims while the console struggled to support them. Nothing different here, in my eyes. 'The most powerful console' should be able to display that it is.

As it was with the PS3, either put up or shut up! If it is the most powerful device, let's see it. If not, people need to learn to feast on a little humble pie from time to time. Nothing wrong with admitting a fault.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019

For months now certain enthusiasts and insiders have been pushing this narrative that the PS5 was rushed together and overclocked in a last minute attempt to bridge the performance gap with the XSX, that the clockspeeds cannot be maintained and that its true performance is closer to 9Tflop or less, that it's coming in far hotter and so on. That it was Microsoft's system that was ahead in design and development.

Now these comparisons come out, and the narrative from these same insiders and people appears to be that actually it was Sony that were well ahead in development, tools and hardware, and that it was actually Microsoft who was behind (contrary to Inside Xbox interviews and the tech director of Codemasters etc stating otherwise).

Think about it for a minute..... do you really want to bad mouth your business partners.

Especially on its own website. That means we should not believe the horrible crunch stories fromCD Project Red then due to those coming from outside sources

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Think about it for a minute..... do you really want to bad mouth your business partners.

Especially on its own website. That means we should not believe the horrible crunch stories fromCD Project Red then

I see we're already at the conspiracy and denial stage of things. You don't have to outright lie to save face with a partner, which he is clearly not doing as he's been candid about these things in other YouTuber podcasts too.

How about instead of assuming the tech director of Dirt 5 is lying or making things up just to please Microsoft, you actually take him at his word?

It's bizzare that people are quicker to call a developer a liar than they are to admit the Xbox hardware simply may not be as performant versus the PS5 as they initially expected or were led to believe.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017

This doesn't contradict that the kits came late though. It only says they were able to familiarise themselves with the new dev environment on Xbox One.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't contradict that the kits came late though. It only says they were able to familiarise themselves with the new dev environment on Xbox One.

Especially on its own website. That means we should not believe the horrible crunch stories fromCD Project Red then due to those coming from outside sources
This.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

But the latter point is immaterial when they say they were at a great point when they did receive the Series X hardware.

"This kind of thinking from Xbox allowed us to get a real head-start on next-gen development, so after receiving our early Xbox Series X hardware, we were up and running really quickly.

I've never worked on a console launch where, while we're still months away from release, the tools have been this mature, this stable, this easy to work with."

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
But the latter point is immaterial when they say they were at a great point when they did receive the Series X hardware.

"This kind of thinking from Xbox allowed us to get a real head-start on next-gen development, so after receiving our early Xbox Series X hardware, we were up and running really quickly.

I've never worked on a console launch where, while we're still months away from release, the tools have been this mature, this stable, this easy to work with."
Yea they were up and running quickly because they got a head start on xbpx one. But if the kits were late, they still wouldn't have had much time with the actual hardware to implement any next gen exclusive features or optimisations.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
It's bizzare that people are quicker to call a developer a liar than they are to admit the Xbox hardware simply may not be as performant versus the PS5 as they initially expected or were led to believe.

Go read the "Developers react to PS5" thread if you want pages and pages of developers being called liars.

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
User Warned: Metacommentary
You guys are really running with the 'tools were certified in June/July' narrative? 😂 As far as I've read about this whole situation, devs have had their hands on the development kits since last year.

They'll be games that run better on the PS5 and vice versa the same on the XSX. These early results seemingly has Xbox users scrambling for excuses, Microsoft has had years to come up with a plan for their next generation console and we've already got them calling it the 'most powerful Xbox'. What happened to the 'most powerful console' tag?

It's early days, both systems will improve and we'll get banging games on both.

unic0rn

Banned
Oct 8, 2020

Yeah, they were saying a lot of things, like how scalable their engine is, and how they can tweak this and dial down that for extra performance, how they're developing with 120fps in mind and so on.

And then came Series S release, 120fps, 576p. Got a feeling "great point" is a bit of overstatement.