AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still remember how all Playstation fans were talking shit about Variable Rate Shading. DF says Sony is adding it to PS5 Pro so it seems it's not that bad. This is a case of Microsoft engineering something, getting to AMD cards and finally going to PS. Has something like this happened before?
what's variable rate shading?

Windrunner

Sly
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why even bother with a miniscule CPU clock uplift like that?

Disappointment all throughout shining through from DF in this vid. And you know what? I tend to agree. I wanted this to be my 60fps couch machine but it seems Sony has different idea with this...
The PS5 is already a 60fps machine... you can count on one hand the number of games that aren't 60fps.

Oct 25, 2017
I still remember how all Playstation fans were talking shit about Variable Rate Shading. DF says Sony is adding it to PS5 Pro so it seems it's not that bad. This is a case of Microsoft engineering something, getting to AMD cards and finally going to PS. Has something like this happened before?
MS didn't engineer anything. VRS was already adopted by Nvidia back in 2018. Regardless, VRS is nice to have but it's not essential. And you can also do a cheap software based VRS solution that work on any GPU, like current COD games do. So Sony cutting it from PS5 was a good move back then. They created a smaller SoC that they could manufacture faster and quickly iterate and still get nearly the same performance as XSX.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
VRS is RDNA2 feature that Sony didn't pick in PS5 probably due to cost and now they are including it in Pro. It's not a MS developed feature....

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Probably get a pass from me unless my PS5 starts acting up and I want to trade it in before it dies or something. Just not fussed enough about graphics and performance these days to hassle with trading/selling the base to upgrade mid gen.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I want to be a customer since I would love a second PS5 particularly if its going to be a big upgrade, but all this has done is made me hope the digital PS5's go to $300 or cheaper around holidays, lol.
I doubt retailers will sell a PS5 for 300$ or less. Sony certainly won't lower the price since their goal is profitability.

According to Sony, the company plans to emphasize profitability over unit sales as the console approaches its fourth birthday. "Looking ahead, PS5 will enter the latter stage of its life cycle," said Sony senior vice president Naomi Matsuoka in comments reported by Bloomberg. "As such, we will put more emphasis on the balance between profitability and sales. For this reason, we expect the annual sales pace of PS5 hardware will start falling from the next fiscal year."

www.theverge.com

Sony misses PS5 sales target as console enters ‘latter stage of its life cycle’

The company is focusing on profitability in its third year.
Analysts asked current acting CEO of the PlayStation division, Hiroki Totoki, what the reasons where for this drop in profitability. It turns out the weakened yen's exchange rates have required Sony to pay more to secure parts for console production. A diminished yen is great for exports--Sony can rake in more yen per dollar, for example, leading to higher FX or "foreign exchange" gains--but a weakened yen is not ideal for imports, which require Japan to pay out more of its domestic currency to secure goods and services.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9433...ps5-profitability-has-deteriorated/index.html

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
'
Not on gpu bound games. There's no point to try but you do you.

Since when is going from raw power 6600/6700 amd to nearly 7800 with decent ML upscaling tech bad? I've heard some stuff in my day but if you got a take on how this is minimal please proceed govenor.

I'm right there with if you play stuff that's cpu bound.

Many games are currently hitting CPU issues, it's even stated in this same video by DF. It's a disappointing, and therefore, fairly pointless upgrade. It's going to give some gains, but when you're just barely dealing with one of the biggest bottlenecks on your system at the moment, it just comes across as a waste. This is even less impactful than the PS4 Pro

If you're failing to get an excited response from your core market for these upgrades, then it's already failing. Maybe it'll turn out to be a success, but so far it seems people are disappointed.

They'd have been much better off using the R&D, production, development funds from this elsewhere.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
This seems...rather anemic. If this is a play at higher-end gamers, I'm not convinced all that many would be enticed, especially if Sony continues to pivot more into the PC space.

Ps4 -> PS4 Pro -> PS5 was a rather meaningful tick-tock hardware iteration. I don't see a PS5 Pro keeping that chain going if these specs are accurate.
Realistically with the PSSR stuff this seems like more of a testing ground for PS6 designs and a way to make money off of that more then anything. That seems to be the biggest deal to DF.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
MS didn't engineer anything. VRS was already adopted by Nvidia back in 2018. Regardless, VRS is nice to have but it's not essential. And you can also do a cheap software based VRS solution that work on any GPU, like current COD games do. So Sony cutting it from PS5 was a good move back then. They created a smaller SoC that they could manufacture faster and quickly iterate and still get nearly the same performance as XSX.

VRS is RDNA2 feature that Sony didn't pick in PS5 probably due to cost and now they are including it in Pro. It's not a MS developed feature....
Yeah, this too, lol.

navanman

Oct 27, 2017
Dublin
Feels like the CPU small uplift is also in part to sticking with the affordable TSMC N6 node.
Sure, smaller nodes are available but cost per wafer is significantly higher as equipment costs & processing steps required are extraordinary.

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017
Sep 6, 2022
Dude, I just want to say that Dictator has such a great way of explaining raytracing in simple to understand terms.
The way he quickly explained how Nvidia and Intel does it compared to AMD, was simple enough to where I instantly grasped it.

It reminds Me of that saying where true mastery of a complex concept is being able to explain it in simple terms to someone with less understanding of it.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Many games are currently hitting CPU issues, it's even stated in this same video by DF. It's a disappointing, and therefore, fairly pointless upgrade. It's going to give some gains, but when you're just barely dealing with one of the biggest bottlenecks on your system at the moment, it is even less impactful than the PS4 Pro

They'd have been much better off using the R&D, production, development funds from this elsewhere.

I think that's relative. This is nothing like OG 3d hardware.

Anyone is free to say it's an issue. I'm free to say what type and how much it actually impacts me staying in titles I bother with at all.

CPUs aren't an issue to me cause the mimimums are better than ever. Only way to fix that would be to have finitely better hardware not even 2x is gonna cut what we might need and some engines are so bad you could have 10/20/30ghz cpu and they still would be shit. I don't relate stability to peaks and hate they get conflated way more than they should.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
It seems unimpressive but in practice I think it's gonna be pretty rad, like for example Jedi survivor, they could bring back raytracing to performance mode, increase res and then add quality upscaling on top, essentially bringing ugly compromised mode to one without any compromises really. Same would apply to rebirth.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy DF but - and I haven't watched this video yet - I have never once agreed with their take on any mid-gen refresh. I'll assume they will make vaguely sour faces and then proclaim they don't see the point of it, like they do with most of the console spec reveal stuff they do honestly.

onesvenus

May 27, 2018

Hardware-based Tier 2 VRS, which is what's I suppose to be in PS5 Pro and what's in RDNA2, was developed by MS during the Series development

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Many games are currently hitting CPU issues, it's even stated in this same video by DF. It's a disappointing, and therefore, fairly pointless upgrade.
Should they just abandon the PS5 gen then and skip to PS6 because the PS5's CPU is leading to a lot of disappointing experiences and not able to meet whatever standard devs are expecting for current gen games?

We're going to be stuck with the PS5's CPU for like 3-4 more years (half way through it's lifecycle)… not even thinking about the Pro. We're just stuck with disappointing performance.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much in line with expectations. PS4pro similarities are easy to see.

Same CPU makes sense. Most games have good 60fps modes already. 10% bump in the boost mode will help keep games closer to that 60fps target.

No mention of frame generation. I was sort of hoping we'd be getting information on taking 60fps native games to 120fps using machine learning frame generation. But I guess we'll wait for the next gen to see that.

I will be interested to see of any games which currently run at 1440p+ will get patched to render at 1080p with more graphical features and then upscale to 4k using PSSR.

I don't see myself buying one, but I did eventually cave and buy a PS4pro in 2018. I was enjoying the Sony first party games that year and wanted to play those games at the best quality avaliable.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I would assume Sony would like to avoid launching a console, refresh or not at $599 again.
You do have a point. Also like pointed out it seems like the same design philosophy as the PS4 Pro: not really touching the cpu, adding in other stuff here n there, not trying to go ham on specs.

I just wonder after watching what do the ppl thinking it will be $699, $799 think.

Oct 25, 2017
I understand thinking that some of upgrades are rather slim (heh), but PS5 Pro is packing an impressive hardware for the price Sony will ask for ($499/$599). Just the 7800 XT MSRP alone is $499.

Hardware-based Tier 2 VRS, which is what's I suppose to be in PS5 Pro and what's in RDNA2, was developed by MS during the Series development
VRS Tier 2 was part of the DX12.2 specification and the RDNA 2 implementation was developed by AMD, not MS. Regardless, Nvidia had already implemented VRS Tier 2 back in 2018 with Turing GPUs.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to lie, I did expect a CPU improvement if they were focusing on ray tracing. I was on a Zen 2 processor on PC up until the start of last year, and ray tracing was severely bottlenecked by the CPU. Maybe they've managed to figure something out, I dunno, I guess we'll see.

Either way it's not really changed my mind or made me interested in a PS5 Pro. I didn't buy a PS4 Pro either, and I have even less reason to get a 5 Pro due to how little I use my PS5.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The CPU cores on the Xbox 360 are largely based on technology developed for the PS3's Cell processor, as far as I understand. IBM was involved with both.

Windrunner

Sly
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems unimpressive but in practice I think it's gonna be pretty rad, like for example Jedi survivor, they could bring back raytracing to performance mode, increase res and then add quality upscaling on top, essentially bringing ugly compromised mode to one without any compromises really. Same would apply to rebirth.
You've got the right idea. For those of us who always select performance mode but have felt a wee bit disappointed at the compromises to resolution and RT, we're going to be really happy with this new console.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All i need is a 60fps option for any 30fps PS5 games.

I know about the CPU etc etc. but they have to make it work somehow.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
More modest than the PS4 pro huh. If they make it less ugly than the PS5 that will be a real killer feature.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
If CPU is the bottleneck then no.

Since those games already run at 60fps (I guess with some dips but as far as I know almost consistently 60 fps. idk I played at fidelity).

Isn't it safe to say that reaching better resolutions for the 60fps modes should be expected and it needs a bit more in the GPU/Upscaling department rather than the CPU?

I would think cases like FFXVI and Rebirth are the ones that are really targeted by these Pro models. Any bump in resolution for performance modes in games is enough to get me excited for the Pro.

Witchcraft

"This guy are sick"
Oct 9, 2022
I enjoy DF but - and I haven't watched this video yet - I have never once agreed with their take on any mid-gen refresh. I'll assume they will make vaguely sour faces and then proclaim they don't see the point of it, like they do with most of the console spec reveal stuff they do honestly.
Lmao yep. They're all knowledgeable but when it comes to consoles specifically you have to take it all with a pinch of salt.

PSSR is what's going to make or break how 'worth it' the pro is but instead they're just lamenting everything else.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Read through the write-up. Doesn't look promising. I get the choice they had to make between CPU vs. GPU vs. RAM, but why not have a larger power profile/budget (and a larger, louder fan and everything that comes with drawing more power) so you don't have to choose?

Joo

May 25, 2018
Will buy at launch. Consoles are in the end not that expensive for years of guaranteed use you get and to me around 599€ is a great deal for what were presumably getting performance wise.

Much depends on the quality of PSSR, but if it's good enough to upscale 1080p to a convincing 4K image this will definitely be worth the upgrade (+ the added RT capabilities of course).

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Should they just abandon the PS5 gen then and skip to PS6 because the PS5's CPU is leading to a lot of disappointing experiences and not able to meet whatever standard devs are expecting for current gen games?

We're going to be stuck with the PS5's CPU for like 3-4 more years (half way through it's lifecycle)… not even thinking about the Pro. We're just stuck with disappointing performance.

Yeah, just end the gen now, that's exactly what I suggested… 🙄

Standards for consoles are dictated by the hardware available. The devs may have greater ambitions than those options, but it's on them to manage them in the confines of those options or hope for improved options.

My issue isn't with offering better options, it's offering such minuscule upgrades to the main bottleneck right now, that they don't really deal with dev/customer concerns. There's a fair bit of ground between what we're being offered and an entirely new Gen

It's just not very ambitious and in my opinion, pointless, if it can't even generate enthusiasm amongst the core target market for such a device

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Any performance boost is a welcome one, I think the small boost in CPU clock and more bandwidth will be enough for those games that have fluctuating frame rate in the 40-60 RE2 remake for example. This is basically unplayable if you use the ray tracing mode due to the VRR range on PS5.

I don't think it will be enough to fix games like DD2 that run at 20-30 fps on base PS5. Granted I don't know if that game is CPU limited or just really taxing on the GPU given that it only has one game mode.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017

IRC, they did mentioned it before in one of their direct it wasn't as useful as it should be and not often properly implemented as you can see some obvious downgrade in visual and the trade off in performance wasn't great. Best use case is still the one implemented in CoD engine where the dev reverse engineer the MSAA HW and got it to work on even last gen consoles as they dev showed Rich some actual numbers and stats.

I hope FG is one of the focus on this new hardware, DLSS3 has been around for awhile and and have more than proofed itself. That Should get around a the minor CPU bump on the console in CPU limited scenario just like PC.

May 28, 2020
Video basically says it won't be the jump we're expecting. The drive may also be detachable and it'll either come with a drive, or be compatible with the detachable drive. I may have to take a wait and see approach for when this comes out

Witchcraft

"This guy are sick"
Oct 9, 2022
My issue isn't with offering better options, it's offering such minuscule upgrades to the main bottleneck right now, that they don't really deal with dev/customer concerns. There's a fair bit of ground between what we're being offered and an entirely new Gen

It's just not very ambitious and in my opinion, pointless, if it can't even generate enthusiasm amongst the core target market for such a device
What's the main bottleneck?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Many games are currently hitting CPU issues, it's even stated in this same video by DF. It's a disappointing, and therefore, fairly pointless upgrade. It's going to give some gains, but when you're just barely dealing with one of the biggest bottlenecks on your system at the moment, it just comes across as a waste. This is even less impactful than the PS4 Pro

If you're failing to get an excited response from your core market for these upgrades, then it's already failing. Maybe it'll turn out to be a success, but so far it seems people are disappointed.

What are these many games hitting crazy CPU limits?
Theres Baldurs Gate 3 in the late game, Dragons Dogma 2 that is coming out now, Starfield (which isnt on PS5), Gotham Knights (which frankly had many other problems beyond "weak CPU"), and I cant think of much else. Even if some games can drop framerate due to CPU limits on PS5, in most of those scenarios a small uplift would alleviate a lot of the drops and place it at least within VRR window, although most such examples would already even be within the VRR window.

Meanwhile every other day now we are getting a game with a performance mode that has too many asteriks and sacrifices on the image quality side, turning off Ray Tracing, terribly low resolution etc. Those are the issues they are trying to primarily alleviate and the issues that far more games suffer from than "CPU limitations".

Furthermore the documents suggest that sony are pushing developers to target 60fps performance modes on the base PS5, they expect the current situation of performance modes existing on Base console to continue further into the generation, and with that they want to focus on what would be the part most needing of an improvement, and that would be image quality

Joo

May 25, 2018
Any performance boost is a welcome one, I think the small boost in CPU clock and more bandwidth will be enough for those games that have fluctuating frame rate in the 40-60 RE2 remake for example. This is basically unplayable if you use the ray tracing mode due to the VRR range on PS5.

I don't think it will be enough to fix games like DD2 that run at 20-30 fps on base PS5. Granted I don't know if that game is CPU limited or just really taxing on the GPU given that it only has one game mode.
Aren't most modern AAA games mainly GPU limited though? At least I'm under the impression that only games with tons of NPCs like RTS games etc are more taxing on the CPU front and therefore the boost in GPU makes more sense when you obviously have to make compromises to keep the price in check.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, just end the gen now, that's exactly what I suggested… 🙄

Standards for consoles are dictated by the hardware available. The devs may have greater ambitions than those options, but it's on them to manage them in the confines of those options or hope for improved options.

Sorry, but what you're suggesting is still jumping strait to the PS6. There's no "solving the bottleneck" while making a somewhat affordable console that isn't a next-gen upgrade.

Witchcraft

"This guy are sick"
Oct 9, 2022
Theres Baldurs Gate 3, Dragons Dogma 2 that is coming out now, Starfield (which isnt on PS5), Gotham Knights (which frankly had many other problems beyond "weak CPU", and I cant think of much else. Even if some games can drop framerate due to CPU limits on PS5, in most of those scenarios a small uplift would alleviate a lot of the drops and place it at least within VRR window, although most such examples would already even be within the VRR window.

Meanwhile every other day now we are getting a game with a performance mode that has too many asteriks and sacrifices on the image quality side, turning off Ray Tracing, terribly low resolution etc. Those are the issues they are trying to primarily alleviate and the issues that far more games suffer from than "CPU limitations".

Furthermore the documents suggest that sony are pushing developers to target 60fps performance modes on the base PS5, they expect the current situation of performance modes existing on Base console to continue further into the generation, and with that they want to focus on what would be the part most needing of an improvement, and that would be image quality
Exactly. Excellent post.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Video basically says it won't be the jump we're expecting. The drive may also be detachable and it'll either come with a drive, or be compatible with the detachable drive. I may have to take a wait and see approach for when this comes out
No matter what the specs are it'll all depend on how developers choose to use it. Too early to come to any conclusions.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
One thing mentioned in the video is it seems like its aimed at being affordable.

The price is gonna be interesting.
that Spider-Man 2 bundle is still going for $450. what're the chances that they'll just cut it another $50 to $400 so that the pro can just take the $500 price tag?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Read through the write-up. Doesn't look promising. I get the choice they had to make between CPU vs. GPU vs. RAM, but why not have a larger power profile/budget (and a larger, louder fan and everything that comes with drawing more power) so you don't have to choose?

There's a limit to what console consumers will actually pay for these things. You will always have to have some cost to performance tradeoff to keep the system at a mass market price point. As it is a lot of people are expecting this to clock in at $599 which is really pushing it.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
i don't get the concern over framerates, most games have performance modes at this point

these enhancements seem to target and uplift current pain points, which is that performance modes are often driving down lower internal resolutions, which will now be dramatically improved by PSSR. and ray tracing, or lackthereof, which will now be fully implementable and have a substantial effect on visuals.
I see a bunch of hand-wringing over 30 fps, but how many PS5 games are there that only run at 30 fps and don't have 60 fps modes? As far as I know it's only in the single digits, but I can't find a current list.

View: https://twitter.com/Nick_Marseil/status/1769531310438076652?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1769531310438076652|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

The four games are :

The Medium
Arkham Knights
Dragon's Dogma II
The Quarry

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Theres Baldurs Gate 3 in the late game, Dragons Dogma 2 that is coming out now, Starfield (which isnt on PS5), Gotham Knights (which frankly had many other problems beyond "weak CPU"), and I cant think of much else. Even if some games can drop framerate due to CPU limits on PS5, in most of those scenarios a small uplift would alleviate a lot of the drops and place it at least within VRR window, although most such examples would already even be within the VRR window.

Exactly. Majority of games on PS5 are GPU limited. So sony is upgrading the gpu for better upscaling and Ray Tracing. it's 100% the right call for the console target prices.

Zep

Jul 12, 2021
Remember when plagues tale requiem came out at 30fps and we all thought (including DF) that the consoles CPU was too weak to run it at 60? And then they dropped a 60fps mode months later. Good times.

It's only being made a big deal because Dragons Dogma is right around the corner with its shitty framerate. If a dev wanted to focus on 60fps for their current gen only games, nothing was stopping them and so far we've seen that trend.

If I brought up an open world game like Rise of the ronin, which has a 60fps RT mode in an open world game, I'm sure the excuse would be the game looks like shit…Whatever, you can't win either way.