Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Awesome show as usual. Alex is incredible knowledgeable about RE (Can't wait for his book) so it was a great surprise and an awesome add for the episode. The Kamiya touches are just too awesome! Great job DF!

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Oh, and Dark1x, thanks very much for the excellent and informative video. I didn't know about the Classic REbirth mod, now I'm thinking of getting my hands on it and the PC version. I have a Galaxy TabPro S with a 4:3 OLED screen - I'm thinking that might be the best way to play your 'best way to play'.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would love to see certain rooms from the original RE2 incorporated into the remake in a similar fashion to the most recent Doom. You unlock an entrance to the room by way of a secret switch. I loved that in Doom!

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I would love to see certain rooms from the original RE2 incorporated into the remake in a similar fashion to the most recent Doom. You unlock an entrance to the room by way of a secret switch. I loved that in Doom!

Same with Wolfenstein. It would be hilarious to have a Wolfenstein approach where all the old backgrounds are used, but the character models are the new ones.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The talk about that PC RE2 DLL replacement supporting mods got me wondering if anybody ever ran old pre-rendered game backgrounds through machine learning upscaling.

I just tried it with an RE2 background and it looks like it might be worthwhile (original vs running through letsenhance.io):

1f_east_hall_01_bicubpuipr.png

1f_east_hall_01-magicini7p.png

The TMO

Oct 18, 2018
The talk about that PC RE2 DLL replacement supporting mods got me wondering if anybody ever ran old pre-rendered game backgrounds through machine learning upscaling.

I just tried it with an RE2 background and it looks like it might be worthwhile (original vs running through letsenhance.io):

This is actually amazing

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That was an excellent video, and informed me of the Classic REbirth mod.

So I went and installed that, and everything seems to be working as intended with the exception that I'm missing several sound effects, such as music, gunshots, and the title screen narrator.

I applied both the mod and the HQ sounds mod from the same page: http://appleofeden.de-doc.com/index.php/downloads/resident-evil-2-classic-rebirth/

This is what my config file looks like: https://abload.de/img/re2ricx4.jpg

Also there's apparently no way to close the game when on fullscreen?

This looks dope, how do you enable this?

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's just an example of what a background image could look like. I just found an image from someone's background dump from the original game and ran it through https://letsenhance.io and it took like 10+ minutes to process.

It'd be a cool project for someone to make a game-wide mod out of, but I'm way too lazy. :)

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's just an example of what a background image could look like. I just found an image from someone's background dump from the original game and ran it through https://letsenhance.io and it took like 10+ minutes to process.

It'd be a cool project for someone to make a game-wide mod out of, but I'm way too lazy. :)

Yeah, it would probably be a large undertaking to do that for every single background.

Figured out my sound problem, turns out I wasn't supposed to extract the mod.

But is there a way to bypass the launcher where it has you choose between normal mode and the game with enhanced sound? I'm trying to make this controller-friendly as a non-Steam shortcut.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I've always been amazed at how they were able to get all of RE2 on a single N64 cartridge. Just crazy.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
It's a shame that the Sourcenext version never received an international release, because it's a pain in the butt to get hold of legitimately. Sourcenext's site seems to have sold out, and other sources aren't too cheap.

I can get the old PC version running just fine though. The only issue I encounter are some strange graphic glitches late the the game that only affect hardware mode. To be honest, that doesn't bother me too much; in software mode it still looks better than the PS1 version, and FXAA can be used to smooth it out a bit.

Deleted member 29237

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This is an excellent video, thanks Dark1x ! I also enjoyed the podcast with cvxfreak you did a while back.

You mention in the video using Swiss to force 240p on the GC version, however I can't afford a GC component cable so am stuck with the official RGB SCART lead, or alternatively using the Wii with Component - would either of these get the same effect please?

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
This is an excellent video, thanks Dark1x ! I also enjoyed the podcast with cvxfreak you did a while back.

You mention in the video using Swiss to force 240p on the GC version, however I can't afford a GC component cable so am stuck with the official RGB SCART lead, or alternatively using the Wii with Component - would either of these get the same effect please?
Look into getting a GCHD. Essentially the same result and a fraction of the price of the GC component cables. It'll run your GC games at 480p (assuming that the game has progressive scan as an option).

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Is there anyway to buy the sourcenext version of RE2 for PC? Also, that machine learning upscaling looks AMAZING! It would be great to see that done for all of the RE2 environments. Hey, even the poorly upscaled backgrounds of REmake could benefit.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The question is, having never played RE2 but have access to the GameCube version, should I play it before the remake or go in totally fresh in January? 🤔

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Wow that is definitely worthwhile.

Oct 25, 2017
That was an excellent video, and informed me of the Classic REbirth mod.

So I went and installed that, and everything seems to be working as intended with the exception that I'm missing several sound effects, such as music, gunshots, and the title screen narrator.

I applied both the mod and the HQ sounds mod from the same page: http://appleofeden.de-doc.com/index.php/downloads/resident-evil-2-classic-rebirth/

This is what my config file looks like: https://abload.de/img/re2ricx4.jpg

Also there's apparently no way to close the game when on fullscreen?

Are you running the HQ sounds as a mod through Gemini's built in launcher ? - If so, extract the archive and overwrite the original files instead. It should work fine then.

To toggle between the three screen modes push F8 and you will end up in full screen borderless.
To exit the game push F9 to return to title, then push it again to exit fully.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are you running the HQ sounds as a mod through Gemini's built in launcher ? - If so, extract the archive and overwrite the original files instead. It should work fine then.

To toggle between the three screen modes push F8 and you will end up in full screen borderless.
To exit the game push F9 to return to title, then push it again to exit fully.

Extracting the files is what caused me to lose music and other sound effects the first time (had to reinstall everything), so I don't think that would work.

And again, looking for a controller-friendly Big TV solution, so I'll either try to map ALT+F4 to controller or just have Steam's overlay close the game.

I also assume there isn't a mod for controller rumble, but thought I'd ask.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Wow, that's a fantastic result. Would love to see more.

OP
OP
disgraciau

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
OK guys, I think I found it, and you can even replace backgrounds!

It's called RE2 Background Manager. It's in this list: http://remer.bplaced.com/remer_files/res_index.php

It's a folder with some files. Open the exe with administrator rights so it works well, and indicate him to open the file roomcut.bin, located in BIOHAZARD 2 PC\common\bin.

I'll try to edit a couple of backgrounds and let's see how ends this.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Those upscaled pics are pretty good. Maybe it'd be feasible to tackle all of the assets like that and even do a bit of manual touchups on them afterward to make them look even better.

I'm wondering about the actual implementation though. What about the different layers of obfuscation when interacting with the 3D characters? I suspect there might be some weirdness with the edges there since they were optimized to work with what I think is 1-bit alphas at 240p.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Here's another one. Did no filtering on the original image this time so it better displays the original.

R1kudAI.png

lxXn9Q2.jpg

The gun on the desk is a bit of a mess, but not bad otherwise.

OP
OP
disgraciau

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
This looks difficult, and that if the game doesn't crash with a 1280x960 picture, heh.

I need to find a way to convert .png files to .tim because the Background Manager doesn't let me replace mask image files with .png

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly for me a CRT filter mod for Sourcenext wouldn't be out of the question as a way to reconcile the graphics on modern displays. I'm sure those kinds of options already exist if you're emulating a console version.

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
Just tried that myself with a 320x240 screenshot from the old PC version. It messed up Leon, but that wouldn't be a problem with just backgrounds, and it definitely shows some potential:

qXL6hqh.jpg

E37f1ha.jpg
This image pretty much confirms how REmake uprezzed several of its lost source BGs. As they ( the several backgrounds in the HD versions of REmake that seem "off") have exactly this kind of uprezzed artifacting thing going on. It looks good, but obviously the program doesn't know what do do with several areas.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to play RE2 again for a podcast and I think I'm going with the N64 version after this breakdown. I sort of like the muddy textures and compressed video of that time. It gives me the nostalgia feels.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
The upscaled shots look insane! This could probably be applied to a bunch of old pre-rendered games. Super impressive stuff.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Here's comparisons of the 3 'cleaned up' images using the Dolphin texture pack (likely upscaling using waifu2x method). The Dolphin pack ain't so bad outside of some visible artifacts and lines across some surfaces, but the custom pictures in this topic are better ... if someone wants to put the effort to do the entire game that way :p

PC Cleaned by Tain :

Dolphin RE2 HD Texture Pack:
51ce46.png

--

PC Cleaned by s_mirage
E37f1ha.jpg

4igfdp.png

^ Notice the artifacting on the statue head.

--

PC Cleaned by s_mirage
lxXn9Q2.jpg

6gac3j.png

A lot o artifacting on Wesker's desk

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here's another one. Did no filtering on the original image this time so it better displays the original.

R1kudAI.png

lxXn9Q2.jpg

The gun on the desk is a bit of a mess, but not bad otherwise.

That looks legit incredible.

Would this work on FFVII by any chance?

Edit: For some reason, Steam won't let me play the game with an overlay, even though I have the option to enable overlays for Non-Steam games.

If I could fix that as well as playing the game with the HQ sound mod without a launcher, I'd be in business.

Last edited:

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that machine learning upres site seems to open up a lot of new possibilities for some cool mods...

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I really do wish Capcom and Square-Enix had made HD versions of their backgrounds for future use. It wouldn't have even needed to be so far off, PS2 versions of the Resident Evils and Final Fantasies with 720p backgrounds and new 3D models and effects would've looked jaw-dropping at the time.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What fucking black magic is this?

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
First episode I watched all the way.

I love me some RE2. Still remember picking up all the magazines and getting this day 1 back in my junior high days.