Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Okay I want to buy this from the Japanese eshop but it's been a royal pain in the ass trying to get it to accept my payment. Can anyone help a dude out?! I literally just want a 10.00 eshop credit to purchase the game. Tried Play-Asia but of course they are sold out.
Try https://www.seagm.com/
The Japanese eShop only accepts Japanese credit cards/PayPal so eShop gift cards are your only option.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Perhaps it's a logistical issue (if they're doing cartridge), additional localization/culturalization work needed for the Western markets, or Nintendo certification that's adding to the delay. I wouldn't know.

They're not doing cartridge, it's all digital. The only real real difference between the JP and EN versions are the external manuals, so I can only presume NOA/NOE certification is the issue.

The previous 3DS line included several digital and physical games that we weren't able to get, so I'm not messing around this time. I sympathize with SOA and understand the delays probably aren't entirely within their control but them's the breaks.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
You are right!!

To be fair, GBA had a fair share of good racers, beside this. V-Rally, Stunt Man, a couple of mode 7 based racing games with real cars, even a Sega Rally port, even though not the best port (beside the glorious Saturn port, Sega Rally doesn't have a happy story on consoles)

There was a GBA Hot Wheels game as well that used the same technique, remember it being a blast

Nov 13, 2017
The moment VR dropped last week I was looking forward to the inevitable DF Retro - And it didn't disappoint, great stuff as always. Still remember seeing the 16bit port on sale at ridiculous prices.

M2 are honestly the jewel is Sega's sadly battered and dented crown these days. I pray they get to do more games from that era (and beyond), Sega Rally would be a great one (I know that had the JPN bonus PS2 port, but I can't get 480p working with it!!) but a dream would be if they could perhaps do Daytona 2 or Sega Rally 2. I feel Sega Rally 2 would be perfect, in the sense that - much like VR - Although it's been ported to the home, the port just doesn't hold up to the arcade original. Eratic frame rates on the DC and difficult PC issues are still a sore point to me personally (yes even after 20 years haha).

Freed Games

Oct 29, 2017
Austria
M2 are honestly the jewel is Sega's sadly battered and dented crown these days. I pray they get to do more games from that era (and beyond), Sega Rally would be a great one (I know that had the JPN bonus PS2 port, but I can't get 480p working with it!!) but a dream would be if they could perhaps do Daytona 2 or Sega Rally 2. I feel Sega Rally 2 would be perfect, in the sense that - much like VR - Although it's been ported to the home, the port just doesn't hold up to the arcade original. Eratic frame rates on the DC and difficult PC issues are still a sore point to me personally (yes even after 20 years haha).

These would indeed be instand buys for me.

OT, but what was the name of the Konami arcade racer, I just remember a Monaco track and the original Mini Cooper? Should be out of the same era.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Okay I want to buy this from the Japanese eshop but it's been a royal pain in the ass trying to get it to accept my payment. Can anyone help a dude out?! I literally just want a 10.00 eshop credit to purchase the game. Tried Play-Asia but of course they are sold out.

If it's like US Amazon you need to add a Japanese billing address. That's how I (a European) buy US digital codes on Amazon US. I added a library in Delaware as my billing address and that makes me able to use my European Visa card to buy US PSN codes on Amazon.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Try https://www.seagm.com/
The Japanese eShop only accepts Japanese credit cards/PayPal so eShop gift cards are your only option.
If it's like US Amazon you need to add a Japanese billing address. That's how I (a European) buy US digital codes on Amazon US. I added a library in Delaware as my billing address and that makes me able to use my European Visa card to buy US PSN codes on Amazon.

Woo! I did it! Thank you both for replying. I ended up grabbing a Japanese eshop card from the website you recommended. I will definitely try the Amazon thing though.

Nov 13, 2017
These would indeed be instand buys for me.

OT, but what was the name of the Konami arcade racer, I just remember a Monaco track and the original Mini Cooper? Should be out of the same era.
Not the OP but that sounds like GTI Club
Agreed, GTI Club, it was in the arcades in the late 90s. There was a PSN only PS3 port that has since been delisted which is a shame as I would love to get my hands on it.

Oct 25, 2017
There's just something about the color pallete in the PS2 version that looks wrong to me. Not that it's bad, but it's not screaming blue skies like it should.

Lancelot

Nov 4, 2017
Campinas, SP
Gameplay is soooo good! A real Sega gem and it holds up very well to this day! I'm glad and surprised M2 ported this! Please give me more! Please! Outrunners, Turbo OutRun, Sega Rally 1 and 2 would be magical!

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Agreed, GTI Club, it was in the arcades in the late 90s. There was a PSN only PS3 port that has since been delisted which is a shame as I would love to get my hands on it.
Damn, I keep forgetting this got delisted. I played and loved the demo back in the day, but never bought that port. GTI Club deserves better.

M2 could definitely do a great job of stripping or replacing the licensed car usage in games like Daytona (2), SCUD Race, and others. It's more than worthwhile given the need to preserve these games and capture the niche classic game fans on Switch.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
Great vid as usual.

I'm curious why you seemed to present the Model 1 and MD footage in 16:9. Did they have widescreen?

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand

Having M2 port this is interesting since it's one of the very few ports of AM2 games that hasn't been ported by AM2. AM2 are usually quite sensitive about their own ports, and have done quite a few of their own for Xbox Live Arcade and other consoles:

- Daytona USA
- Virtua Fighter 2
- Virtua Striker (Japan only)
- Virtual On (Japan only)
- Virtual On OT
- Fighting Vipers
- Sonic The Fighters

These were all emulated by AM2 themselves. Now they were pretty bare bones - just the game with online multiplayer, but they did the kind of work M2 would do for Sonic The Fighters by adding in an incomplete character (Honey) and allowed you to play as Metal Sonic and Eggman too.

Now these are all Model 2 games rather than Model 1, which VR is. I'd like to see model Model 2 games with some of the bonus features seen here.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I'd rather they finished off Model 1 before moving to Model 2--there's only two other games, three if they're willing and able to get the Star Wars license.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea this port was a thing...holy shit, I LOVE Virtua Racing and never bought any of the previous home versions since they just looked like hot garbage.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
There's just something charming about playing old arcade games that I could only dream on consoles...on a handheld.

There was that old Namco title "Solvalou" that I've always wanted to play endlessly with unlimited tokens. I wish M2 ported that game as well (or has it already been ported?).

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Great vid as usual.

I'm curious why you seemed to present the Model 1 and MD footage in 16:9. Did they have widescreen?
Yeah, I mentioned this. The arcade game is the first 16:9 game released in arcades (there were wider games like Darius but they were multi-screen).

As for MD, I simply zoomed in since it's basically presented in a widescreen window with large blacks bars around it. It just looks bad in a YouTube video hence the zoom.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
There was that old Namco title "Solvalou" that I've always wanted to play endlessly with unlimited tokens. I wish M2 ported that game as well (or has it already been ported?).

It came out on the Japanese Wii Virtual Console, it even had wiimote pointer controls.

Oct 29, 2017
Having M2 port this is interesting since it's one of the very few ports of AM2 games that hasn't been ported by AM2. AM2 are usually quite sensitive about their own ports, and have done quite a few of their own for Xbox Live Arcade and other consoles:

- Daytona USA
- Virtua Fighter 2
- Virtua Striker (Japan only)
- Virtual On (Japan only)
- Virtual On OT
- Fighting Vipers
- Sonic The Fighters

These were all emulated by AM2 themselves. Now they were pretty bare bones - just the game with online multiplayer, but they did the kind of work M2 would do for Sonic The Fighters by adding in an incomplete character (Honey) and allowed you to play as Metal Sonic and Eggman too.

Now these are all Model 2 games rather than Model 1, which VR is. I'd like to see model Model 2 games with some of the bonus features seen here.

They weren't emulations, they were ports. And they weren't produced by AM2, they were produced by a new studio that SEGA set up in Shanghai (that is now defunct I believe).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
On one hand, I would love to start playing VR this weekend. On the other hand...

Wearing my business-side hat, this practice could hurt Sega's business for their territory offices. More specifically, sales that would have normally been recognized as SOA / SOE sales will be accrued as Japan sales.

If the practice becomes mainstream and western region sales suffer as a result, that could lead to Sega skipping release entirely for certain games and/or platform (in this case the Switch version), or worse, scaling back their operations in those 'underperforming' markets. That would be terrible.

Of course, none of this would have been an issue if the game sim-shipped across all territories.

Perhaps it's a logistical issue (if they're doing cartridge), additional localization/culturalization work needed for the Western markets, or Nintendo certification that's adding to the delay. I wouldn't know.

As for me, I'm going to be patient and wait for the eventual U.S. release.
I'm in the same boat. Resisted the urge to import so far as I want SOA to get my sale and keep releases coming.

The waiting is annoying and unnecessary though.

There was also a Wii port if you can track it down. Ported by Genki (ex-AM2) of Shoutoku Battle/TXR/Wangan Midnight fame.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
When I buy the japan version (which I did), how likely is it that I can redeem the download once the US/EU version can be purchased from the US/EU eshop?

I mean this works for other regions in case there's only one version, but in case of VR I'm not sure.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I played Virtua Racing 32X yesterday and it is surprisingly solid.

Too bad the 32X was a gigantic flop because it certainly had the potential to do great things.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
When I buy the japan version (which I did), how likely is it that I can redeem the download once the US/EU version can be purchased from the US/EU eshop?

I mean this works for other regions in case there's only one version, but in case of VR I'm not sure.
It works on the other Sega Ages releases, so I don't see why not.
You'll just have to change the country to US (on the account that bought it), and download the game.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This looks like a remarkable port. Can't wait to pick it up when it hits the US Store.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Maybe I misunderstood the question but it sounded like you would buy the game on the JP Eshop using a JP Nintendo account. And then go to the US Eshop using a US Nintendo account and... download it for free? How does that work?

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
What a great video.

For me though, the PS2 version clearly looks the best. It has just about the perfect upgrades for that low-fi aesthetic.

Sorry for the late quote.

I disagree, mainly because I hate pop in and the PS2 still has massive amounts of it. Its also very low res if you connect it to a modern screen. Switch version simply improves everything and finally fixes the framerate and pop in of the original.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Too bad the 32X was a gigantic flop because it certainly had the potential to do great things.

Mmm, I'd disagree; I think VRDX was basically the sort of thing that the 32X was built to do, but it couldn't expand much beyond that. It wasn't a completely terrible idea considering that a 32X, VRDX, and Shadow Squadron would be competitively priced to Super Mario Kart and Star Fox (and VRDX and Shadow Squadron do have much better performance than Star Fox for sure). The problem is the hardware was a stopgap solution for a gap that was too short to stop -- just about anything the 32X could do could be done with less hassle on a Saturn. If the Saturn hadn't come out so soon, maybe the 32X could have been something, but with the basically nonexistent video hardware the console had it was clearly an ill-fated expansion; nobody really wanted to use it aside from Acclaim.

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
They weren't emulations, they were ports. And they weren't produced by AM2, they were produced by a new studio that SEGA set up in Shanghai (that is now defunct I believe).

The Model 2 games were emulations and done by AM2 as far as I'm aware. Shanghai developed the Sonic Adventure 2, Nights, Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, Sega Bass Fishing and Space Channel 5, which all were ports.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Great video. From the video, the Switch version looks amazing, almost like CG (ironic given Model 1's original name that was mentioned in the video - I never knew that before) compared to older versions. Only things I don't like from the Switch version are the main car's shadow (I know what they are going for but at least in the video it doesn't match the otherwise clean look and reminds me of a PS4 touchpad for whatever reason) and lack of AA as an option, at least for single player.

Would love to have more Model 1, 2 and 3 games available on modern systems with this amount of effort put in. Combined with BC on future consoles would be so great to have constant access to them without having half a dozen consoles hooked up.