• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

Remember when we showed you how to run Skyrim on Xbox Series consoles at 60fps via user mods? At the time, it was not possible to do the same on PlayStation 5, but now - thanks to YouTube user Wrighton's work - it can be done! And here's how that stacks up against PS4, PS4 Pro and of course, Xbox Series X with its own 60fps mod installed.

edit:

- Vanilla PS4 has a higher frame rate than the PS4 Pro.
- PS5 has higher/more stable framerate compared to the Series X. Richard hypothesis that higher clocks may play nicer with older titles than more CUs.
- Mod author says what they did to get 60fps with Skyrim doesn't work on Fallout 4 (for now).

Optmst

Apr 9, 2020
I didn't know such mod was available on PS consoles!
Hopefully FO4 get a 60 FPS mod

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The base PS4 running at 8~11 FPS faster than PS4 Pro. Woof.

PS4 Pro really should have used a dynamic resolution scaler for the game.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the graphics hold up pretty well, especially with the graphic tweak mods on PS5 and XSX.

Fascinating performance deltas between the two consoles, too.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
A pretty amazing achievement for the modder that accomplished this feat.

It's a PS4 game, but with an unlocked frame rate it's almost always running at 4k/60fps on the PS5 in BC mode, a platform that it was never designed for.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if we'll see backwards compatibility improve as the generation progresses or if this is the ceiling for all consoles with the restrictions they have to have to ensure compatibility.

There's a big difference between today's backwards compatibility and the 360 emulator Microsoft used on Xbox One. It was great to see games improve in performance over time. I'd like to see that happen this gen, too, but I doubt it will.

I think there's a good chance of Bethesda making a dedicated PS5 / Series version of Skyrim at some point. Get that RDNA2 performance boost to lock that dragon at 60fps.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like this and the Bloodborne 60 FPS mod are interesting, but until there's an official patch to bring them to everyone, it's tough to get that excited.

Well you can get this one working without hacking the game or console. It's a mod available for free through the mod shop Skyrim has.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda did such a poor job with the pro patches for this and Fallout 4 that I wished I could roll them back. The pre-patched versions played much better with the Pro's boost mode. At least we got a nice version to play on PS5 out of it.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I love the fact that neither the Series X nor the PS5 use any of the extra hardware, yet they power through at an almost locked 4K/60, in most cases.

Impressive machines. Might just give Skyrim a try (didn't care for it on PS3, for obvious reasons...)

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Stuff like this and the Bloodborne 60 FPS mod are interesting, but until there's an official patch to bring them to everyone, it's tough to get that excited.
The skyrim mod is available to everyone, the game has official mod support. Bloodborne is a different situation, since you need a modded system to be able to use the mod.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Skyrim does run better with higher clocked CPUs. This is the case on PC as well the game came out when only quad cores were common. I hope they come out with a next gen update and improve this for both PC and Console.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
They should have but they were obviously not banking on 60fps mod being widely used or even possible to use lol.
Even regardless of the mod, the PS4 Pro version has enough frequent drops from 30 that you can notice it easily.

The Xbox One X version runs with a dynamic resolution IIRC and never drops from the target 30 FPS at the expense of not being 4K all the time. A better trade-off.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Mod works seamlessly and 4K60 at the highest settings and all DLC is an awesome way to experience Skyrim again. Some of the game's art out in the wild still really holds up.

Good on DF for highlighting this, i feel like it's flying under the radar for a lot of folks. Thanks Dictator and co!

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder what kind of mods they have for the PSVR Version. And how that would run on the PS5.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they? It holds tightly to the framerate target without mods. This isn't an official update, it's user-created.

VVV

Even regardless of the mod, the PS4 Pro version has enough frequent drops from 30 that you can notice it easily.

The Xbox One X version runs with a dynamic resolution IIRC and never drops from the target 30 FPS at the expense of not being 4K all the time. A better trade-off.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I'm quite tempted to buy the game again on PS5 after seeing this.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
For those mentioning the PS4Pro version... its issues are because it renders it at 4K no?

So I'm curious, as far as anyone who owns it, if they ever forced 1080p from the display options..and if this mod ran closer to 60fps on the Pro... or at least way above 30fps lol.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020
Italy
Seeing PS4 run the game at 40fps makes me wonder why Bethesda went for native 4K on Pro when 1080p/60 would have been achievable. I'm all for higher res, but Skrym frankly doesn't need it.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017

Oh, I didn't know this. I actually played the original on pc and didn't touch the remaster yet. Opted for vr version on pc lol

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Fascinating stuff since clearly, Sony's BackCompat team was never tasked to test Skyrim with this specific configuration since it didn't exist until now.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
For those mentioning the PS4Pro version... its issues are because it renders it at 4K no?
Yes, that's correct, it's losing to the standard PS4 here in framerate because it's rendering at four times the resolution.

Seeing PS4 run the game at 40fps makes me wonder why Bethesda went for native 4K on Pro when 1080p/60 would have been achievable. I'm all for higher res, but Skrym frankly doesn't need it.
It could be CPU bottlenecked as well. It might not be possible for it to hit a stable 60FPS even at 1080p.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I could have sworn I read that they got the 4k60 mod for FO4 to work on PS4/5

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Very cool. And once again just makes me really wish more devs would unlock their games' framerates for the PS5.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, that's correct, it's losing to the standard PS4 here in framerate because it's rendering at four times the resolution.

It could be CPU bottlenecked as well. It might not be possible for it to hit a stable 60FPS even at 1080p.
Someone should test if Pro is outputting at 4K or 1080p when the console is set to 1080p in the options. If it outputs at 1080p it should be able to sustain 60fps as base PS4 already does that in the PSVR game.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
It's had it for a while but it's much more limited than on Xbox, you can't add your own assets to the game with the PS4 mods so you're basically limited to modifying only what the game already has access to.
Ah, that kind of ruins the fun. Typical sony haha

For a time, Sony allowed it later on around the time they announced a PSVR version of Skyrim, but that might be wrong on my part.
I'm surprised they allowed mods at all

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So what is Bethesda going to do to convince people to septuple-dip on the inevitable next-gen exclusive version?

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Watching this made me wanna try so I did and crashed twice in first 10 mins. Quit and uninstalled haha.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
So I just watched the video of the mod's author explaining how he managed to upload an .ini file mod to the PS4 mod list and, in a nutshell, he literally just exploits a fault in the Creation Kit (Bethesda's software for creating mods on the Creation Engine).

So, um... Not sure what that means to Bethesda or how long this will stay up since it's a breach in their agreement with Sony.

In any case, we know these games support external assets on the PS4 via the Creation Club program (namely, paid mods), since those are curated by Bethesda and, thus, Sony conceded on the external assets. Essentially, they're paid DLC made by the community.

So I suppose, if this proves popular enough, there's nothing stopping Bethesda from just releasing an "official" 60fps mod for Fallout 4 as well. Except, of course, truly not giving a damn.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I downloaded it on PS5. It runs great though for some reason I prefer the colors on my PC hooked to my TV.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
PS4 Pro at native 4K pushed it way too far. They should have done lower res or some sort of reconstruction/CB.