ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
So with season 25 soon upon us, is this game still not 4K on the series X, Like it is on the Last Generation Xbox X?

Can't be playing 1080p anymore on my 4K OLED.

Searching on the internet, It seems it's been this way for over a year!

How in the world does a last gen console have a better version of a game than the new console. 🤦🏼‍♂️

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
So with season 25 soon upon us, is this game still not 4K on the series X, Like it is on the Last Generation Xbox X?

Can't be playing 1080p anymore on my 4K OLED.

Searching on the internet, It seems it's been this way for over a year!

How in the world does a last gen console have a better version of a game than the new console. 🤦🏼‍♂️
I thought the series x plays the x version?

Judau

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, I don't understand what OP means. Literally any game that has One X enhancements (4K/HDR/Quality and Performance modes, etc.) will still have those enhancements on the Series X. Or does this happen to be the one game where that's not necessarily true?

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017

It should be but for whatever reason it's at what looks to be 1080p resolution.

Mafia 3 had a similar issue where something broke & it reverted resolution settings before they patched it back to the higher One X version. Could be the same deal here except no one really bothered to check in on this.

Feb 4, 2018
Yeah, I don't understand what OP means. Literally any game that has One X enhancements (4K/HDR/Quality and Performance modes, etc.) will still have those enhancements on the Series X. Or does this happen to be the one game where that's not necessarily true?

Diablo 3 had a bug maybe a year ago that disabled the X enhancements.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Diablo 3 is one of the few bugged bc titles that have… well, bugs/glitches. Diablo 3 runs at 1080p on a Series X. They (MS) know about it and where in talks about it with Blizzard iirc, but it seems like it still isn't fixed.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, what? The hackers for this game are all on consoles. Unless something has changed D3 is purely online on PC and structured in a way that prevents a lot of hacking.

The only "cheating" going on on PC are people using programs to see more of the map than they should and people running bots 24/7 to farm gear. Basically either of these is only an issue if you plan to make a serious effort at getting on the leaderboards.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
And they're still selling it bundled with the Diablo 2 remake and the series X badge?

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Lol, what? The hackers for this game are all on consoles. Unless something has changed D3 is purely online on PC and structured in a way that prevents a lot of hacking.

PC has a lot of botting going on and it seems like there was not a ban wave for this past season on PC. PS and Switch are bad with item hacking and I don't think those accounts typically get dealt with. Xbox might actually be the purest one, apparently hard to hack the save file and then no real botting issue.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Well I'll be damned. Just reinstalled D3 on both my XSX and PS5 and you're right. The PS5 version is exceptionally clean and the XSX version is noticeably lower resolution. I thought you were crazy until I did the side by side.

I wonder what gives?

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
PC has a lot of botting going on and it seems like there was not a ban wave for this past season on PC. PS and Switch are bad with item hacking and I don't think those accounts typically get dealt with. Xbox might actually be the purest one, apparently hard to hack the save file and then no real botting issue.

Botting only affects those trying to rank highly on the seasonal leaderboards. For normal players it will have zero impact.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
unfortunately not chap, It's bugged and locks to 1080p without the X version extras too. Shocking really and such an oversight.

how they don't even have cross play also is baffling. Going out of its way stopping us from playing.
I still can't believe they haven't fixed this yet. Depressing.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe they haven't fixed this yet. Depressing.
Yup, it's very disappointing.

Diablo 3 is one of the few bugged bc titles that have… well, bugs/glitches. Diablo 3 runs at 1080p on a Series X. They (MS) know about it and where in talks about it with Blizzard iirc, but it seems like it still isn't fixed.
Diablo 3 isn't a Backwards Compatible title, though. It's a full-fledged "Xbox One X Enhanced" title. This is all on Acitvision Blizzard, not Microsoft.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
This is terrible. Sorry to hear that Series X owners are getting that treatment. =/

Is it 4k on PS5? I've been playing it there and it looks pretty good, but I'm bad at being able to tell FOR SURE with a game like D3. Lol. An LG C9 (my TV) does a damn good job of making games look gorgeous anyway lol.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Botting only affects those trying to rank highly on the seasonal leaderboards. For normal players it will have zero impact.

Same thing with console hacking, it only affects those who are pushing leaderboards. If one does not care about the boards, regardless of platform, then botting or hacking doesn't matter. Like for me I think it sucks that stuff happens and isn't dealt with but I don't care about the boards so in the end it doesn't bother me.

OP
OP
ClarkusDarkus

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
This is terrible. Sorry to hear that Series X owners are getting that treatment. =/

Is it 4k on PS5? I've been playing it there and it looks pretty good, but I'm bad at being able to tell FOR SURE with a game like D3. Lol. An LG C9 (my TV) does a damn good job of making games look gorgeous anyway lol.

I'm proper jealous of PS5, I want to use my OLED( LG ) to its fullest, And 1080p games looks too soft for me to not notice.

How this has gone on for a year is beyond ridiculous, With the season 25 about to drop.

And yet they bundle it and over priced it on the store for £60!

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going off of memory here, but I'm pretty certain it's 1440p dynamic on the PS4 Pro. And it's important to note that it should be 4k dynamic on the Xbox Series X, as well.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Same thing with console hacking, it only affects those who are pushing leaderboards. If one does not care about the boards, regardless of platform, then botting or hacking doesn't matter. Like for me I think it sucks that stuff happens and isn't dealt with but I don't care about the boards so in the end it doesn't bother me.

I think most people would disagree unless they intend to play 100% as a solo experience or have a dedicated group of people to play with. Multiplayer with randoms is likely to be full of cheaters and hacked gear on the any console with hacked save files. This isn't an issue on PC as anyone using bots to push the leaderboards won't bother playing with randoms and there is no hacked gear to worry about.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Yup, it's very disappointing.

Diablo 3 isn't a Backwards Compatible title, though. It's a full-fledged "Xbox One X Enhanced" title. This is all on Acitvision Blizzard, not Microsoft.
Its an Xbox One (X) game, therefore only playable via bc on Xbox Series. X1 games don't run natively on Series consoles, they need an update before you play them on those consoles. Which is why discs are worthless if your console is not connected to the internet.

I'm going off of memory here, but I'm pretty certain it's 1440p dynamic on the PS4 Pro. And it's important to note that it should be 4k dynamic on the Xbox Series X, as well.
It is dynamic 4k on PS4Pro, it just reached it less often than X1X but is probably always 4k on PS5. They also look identical iirc.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Its an Xbox One (X) game, therefore only playable via bc on Xbox Series. X1 games don't run natively on Series consoles, they need an update before you play them on those consoles. Which is why discs are worthless if your console is not connected to the internet.

It is dynamic 4k on PS4Pro, it just reached it less often than X1X but is probably always 4k on PS5. They also look identical iirc.
Yep, you're right on both accounts. Sorry for the misinformation!

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
This is so weird, I remember being impressed a couple of years ago at how CRISP it looked at 4K on the One X and my Oled.

They even sold a Diablo 2-3 Combo some weeks ago, how isn't this patched on the Series X yet?

Separate rant - BTW: Why are the Diablo 2 Remaster cinemas so low-res/full of artefacts? Why go through all of that amazing work of remaking them...to have them full of compression errors?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is this messed up on both the One X and the Series X or just the Series X?

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I've heard anecdotally this may have also happened to RE2 and 3 REmakes? They ran at 1660p on X1X and are apparently 1080p on Series X. It's a really weird and kinda worrying trend, especially if these issues aren't fixed.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
I ended up refunding the game on Xbox because of this (and also that was about the time I had learned about the dumpster fire that is Activision Blizzard management), and passed on D2. Appalling that they can sell this with a 4K badge on the store, when it straight up does not function that way. I'm understanding of technical challenges but at this point it's just a lie.

I'm much more lenient for a recent release like Grim Dawn where 1) it's a small company, not a mega-corporation, and 2) they were upfront about the fact the game is at 1080p, and they're working on it.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017

I redownloaded both version this morning to check it out. Both in the character selection, and act 1 opening, the resolution is obviously lower on the series x than on ps5. The ps5 image quality is extremely sharp.

I was very surprised to notice that.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Activision Blizzard.

I'm sure there's some Diablo devs there that would love to fix this, but good look getting the sign off to spend any people hours on it.
I think this is more an issue with Xbox Backwards Compatibility, since the game is fine on X1X. It would be on the BC team to fix whatever the issue is, no?

shadewolf

Oct 27, 2017
I had saved this Reddit post earlier in the year where someone had feedback from Jason Ronald:

It was quiet for a long time, but checking it now after seeing your post there was a reply a couple weeks ago with a link to a tweet from a Blizzard Dev that said they were working on it with Xbox (from October):

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
beyond that, I am still baffled how there is no cross-play between consoles at least. Yes, PC has hackers, but I would love to be able to crossplay this game with other PS/Xbox users too. Hopefully they do something for it in Diablo 4.

PC isn't the only one with hackers. People imported hacked crap from the PS360 version into the PS4/One version. The first time I ever went online on PS4 with randos (how was I supposed to know this would happen) my Paragon level immediately jumped to 10,000 and my character basically was maxed out because some hacker ran by.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh...shit I swear I saw that it was 4k in the thread on Era that that one user put together to list all enhancements on Pro/5.

Edit-
Yeah, here it is:

diablo3s3k7r.png

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I redownloaded both version this morning to check it out. Both in the character selection, and act 1 opening, the resolution is obviously lower on the series x than on ps5. The ps5 image quality is extremely sharp.

I was very surprised to notice that.
Well, yeah with "they look identical" I was actually referring to the graphical settings, not the resolution. My mistake - should have made that more clear.

So yeah, the PS4 version played on a PS5 is currently the sharpest and best looking console version out there and I kinda doubt they will ever fix it on Xbox Series X if they didn't bother until now.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
An update just appeared for me on Series X - 861 MB.

Downloading now.

Edit: I... don't actually know? Menu text looks crisp so I was excited. The HUD is low res in game though, so it's like a weird mix of improved and not improved.

Last edited:

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have a link to a write-up to the original glitch re: the 1X? I just passed along my 1X to a family member who I know was going to be playing Diablo III on it, and it hadn't occurred to me that it might not be 4K. Or was the previous issue just re: playing on Series X consoles?

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have a link to a write-up to the original glitch re: the 1X? I just passed along my 1X to a family member who I know was going to be playing Diablo III on it, and it hadn't occurred to me that it might not be 4K. Or was the previous issue just re: playing on Series X consoles?
Just Series X I believe. One X is in 4K.

Jaime.GGG

Oct 27, 2017
An update just appeared for me on Series X - 861 MB.

Downloading now.

Edit: I... don't actually know? Menu text looks crisp so I was excited. The HUD is low res in game though, so it's like a weird mix of improved and not improved.
The HUD was never updated for 4k in either console.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
Def going to take a look once I get home from work. I've also been following that Reddit thread for the past year, waiting on an update. Hopefully it's finally fixed.

Edit: There was a patch today to prep for Season 25. There's no specific mention of this fix in the patch notes - which doesn't mean that it wasn't fixed :)

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to get people's hopes up.

Crazy to me that they patched the game but still haven't fixed this well-known issue.