Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Did you download the optional high resolution assets when you installed the game? If not, go back to the Battle.net app and use the Modify Install feature.
I indeed did, the full 88gbs or whatever it was. Apparently I don't have the option because I don't have 32gbs of ram which I don't know is true for everyone or not.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I see a High graphics option and I have 32 GB of RAM. It doesn't run very well though. Really chews through VRAM.
Yeah that seems to be it. I mean sounds ridiculous to need that for high textures in this particular game. Then the fact that it doesn't run well when it's set there for anyone gives me hope it's just a bug. Apparently if you have an 6-8gb vram graphics card even trying to play this st 1080p it'll lock you to low textures even if you have 16gb of ram so I'm not sure how this game is calculating what it needs.

I just tried to update the ini line for "TextureQualty" from 1 to 2 and set it to read only but once I loaded up the game my vram and gpus usage didn't change and I didn't immediately notice anything visually different so I'm assuming it didn't work.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
I have an i7-13700K, 4090, NVMe, 32 GB DDR5, and the freezing/hitching is really annoying, it feels like it happens when it's loading in new areas or mobs. Putting texture resolution from high to medium reduces the hitching time it seems for me, but there's times its literally almost 2 second freeze. Ingame cinematics also pretty low FPS and also hitches when transitioning to them sometimes. Otherwise the game runs smoothly when that isn't happening. And the hitching is the worst in the open world vs. instances

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a 4k display? Some people are reporting that the high resolution textures aren't showing up as an option if you are connecting to a display that's not specifically 3840x2160.
I have a 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor and I can select high. So I don't think it's to do with requiring 4k.

Edit: The ram thing might make sense though, I have 32gb.
I have an i7-13700K, 4090, NVMe, 32 GB DDR5, and the freezing/hitching is really annoying, it feels like it happens when it's loading in new areas or mobs. Putting texture resolution from high to medium reduces the hitching time it seems for me, but there's times its literally almost 2 second freeze. Ingame cinematics also pretty low FPS and also hitches when transitioning to them sometimes. Otherwise the game runs smoothly when that isn't happening. And the hitching is the worst in the open world vs. instances
Yeah, similar experience here. Well apart from the fact lowering textures didn't really help that much.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
Setting textures on high seems to be bugged. I was getting massive stutters with the high resolution textures. Setting them to medium almost completely resolved it.

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing on the Steam Deck non-stop! It's amazing, low settings but still really nice. Just got to level 21, I think I might stop here and wait for the real game.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Welp. Seems you need 32 GB RAM to enable high textures.... weird

huh interesting

I have 16 gb ram, last night I not only did a full reinstall but also a specific reinstall of the texture pack and I still have no option for High textures. So yeah, maybe that's it.

Though since High seems to punishing VRAM I'm not really sweating it. :P

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
gamegpu.com

Diablo IV Beta тест GPU/CPU | RPG/Role playing | TEST GPU

Мы провели тестирование Diablo IV Beta на максимальных настройках графики с использованием видеокарт семейства GEFORCE RTX и RADEON RX. В результате тестирования была оценена производительность и качество графики на этих видеокартах.

Game is RAM heavy that's for sure. Seems like it can use up to 20GB of VRAM with maximum settings and if you have less it starts using system RAM which is not something you want to be happening.

Edit: Yeah, the game just chews through VRAM in it's current state. Here it is with almost 16GB used (actually allocated to the game).

diabloiv18_03_202318_h3db1.png

Last edited:

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
gamegpu.com

Мы провели тестирование Diablo IV Beta на максимальных настройках графики с использованием видеокарт семейства GEFORCE RTX и RADEON RX. В результате тестирования была оценена производительность и качество графики на этих видеокартах.

Game is RAM heavy that's for sure. Seems like it can use up to 20GB of VRAM with maximum settings and if you have less it starts using system RAM which is not something you want to be happening.

I have 100 GB of RAM and still experience stutter occasionally.

Sylmeria

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2022
My game is 50% perfection (like really smooth) and stutter from time to time and weird high framerate but looks stuttery on the towns with more players.

I've gotten some really bad stutter when I load players in maps and in the cities.

SSD
GTX 1080
16 GB RAM DDR4

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I have no stutters at all, only issue was with the memory leak. After setting textures to medium it was smooth sailing.

5800x
32gig 4000mhz RAM
Game installed into a M2 SSD.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Tons of stutter for me on an i7-13700k, 32gb DDR5 RAM and a 2070 Super GPU. Bummer. Lots of stuff for me to try I guess, including dropping textures to medium, but I know that I experienced some stutter even when I dropped absolutely everything to low which was surprising.

I fucking hate PC gaming sometimes.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Is there a video of this stutter? I get slight hitches here and there but nothing that would ruin the experience.

Jul 7, 2021
Zero stutters here, except for occasionally when loading a new area and in the over world when fighting enemies, but very infrequently... like I get a small stutter maybe once every 30-45 minutes or so... I think it's network related. The server is sending updated mob info maybe?

i7 12700k, 64 GB DDR5 5600, RTX 4070 ti 12 GB, 2 GB M2 SSD.

Running super well with DLSS quality mode everything maxed out.

MotherFan

Oct 27, 2017
32gb system ram
2 tb nvme
LG C1 4k120hz

Only got to play for about an hour. Made it a bit into first dungeon. I noticed alot of stuttering until I set the max foreground and background fps to 120. After doing so I had no more performance issues. Everything was smooth as silk, including the town and the rendered scenes there. I made my way to the dungeon with almost no stutters. Dungeon had no stutters about 10 min in, which is when I got off.

After fixing the max fps, everything was pretty much perfect. Didn't notice any shader stutter in the dungeon, no traversal stutter or anything.

This was about 2 am.

Edit: I was using everything maxed, no dlss, high textures.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
1080ti owner here...

Even on medium textures, the vram eventually creeps upwards to using 100% which causes the game to degrade over time and become studder fest. Also had to lower resolution percentage to 80%. Game is mostly playable but ultimately this game could really use some performance optimization. Seems like there are memory leaks or something going on and I also just feel like this game just uses way to much ram and VRAM altogether. Not sure why this game is so thirsty.

If Blizzard can optimize this game some more and get the ram/vram usage down and plug the memory holes then this game could look and run pretty damn well but as it stands right now I would call it "playable". Hope they can optimize it more before or around release...

Last edited:

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
7950x
32gb Ddr5 6000
LgC1 48"

Running maxed out 4k without DLSS
Locked at 117fps

Usage of ram and Vram is insane but my temps are amazing considering I'm undervolting the gpu while only using ~280w of power

Never got the out of memory error which I find odd considering I'm basically maxing out my vram on my 4090 loll

Very few stuttering here and there which it's not really game breaking or annoying imo.

Probably will get fixed as they refine stuff after the betas until June.

ibb.co

20230318-085953 hosted at ImgBB

Image 20230318-085953 hosted in ImgBB

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Playing on 1440p maxed settings and everything is smooth. I only experienced some stutters sometimes when the game loads a new area

Game is VRAM hungry!

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
gamegpu.com

Edit: Yeah, the game just chews through VRAM in it's current state. Here it is with almost 16GB used (actually allocated to the game).

Those RAM tests are really telling. You can really see the VRAM requirements spill out to RAM when there isn't enough VRAM. Looks like it ideally needs around 16GB VRAM at 1080p and ~19GB at 4K.

The RAM requirements themselves don't look too bad as long as you can contain the game within VRAM. 16GB looks fine with a 20GB (and probably 16GB) VRAM card but you're going to need 32GB RAM with a 8GB VRAM card.

8GB VRAM and 16GB system RAM looks like it would be a complete dumpster fire.

Yet Nvidia just launched a $800+ card with 12GB VRAM and might be launching a $600 4060 with 8GB VRAM. It's not a good look. Appreciate it's a BETA and things will likely improve by launch but while this is on the extreme side of things it's part of an increasing number of games that are really showing 8GB/10GB to be really limiting. Doesn't bode well for the rest of the generation.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a video of this stutter? I get slight hitches here and there but nothing that would ruin the experience.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrAI8COHrc0

(audio being off is my editing mistake)

This is how bad it is for me. Captured this all within a 5 minute window. You can see the FPS drop in the bottom left so you know this isn't lag or anything.

My specs: (easily above the recommended specs)

1080ti
i7 8800k
32GB RAM
game is installed on M.2 drive

Medium textures, don't have the High Res texture pack installed so can't even choose High if I wanted.

It's ridiculous.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Once I dropped to medium textures, I've had a pretty smooth experience. It's not hitch free, newer areas do hitch every now & then, but it's mostly fine.

RTX 3080
5950x
32GB RAM
On a gen4 SSD.

The game isn't out for a few months, so hopefully these issues will be minimised.

Oct 27, 2017
Arizona
16gb ram
gen 3 m.2
Hi Res textures

Game runs at 115+ in 4k except in towns, where it stutters into the 90s. I'm guessing from loading all the player characters.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝

This is how bad it is for me. Captured this all within a 5 minute window. You can see the FPS drop in the bottom left so you know this isn't lag or anything.

1080ti
i7 8800k
32GB RAM

Medium textures, don't have the High Res texture pack installed so can't even choose High if I wanted.

It's ridiculous.

Oh wow, yeah that is quite bad. I hope Blizzard acknowledges this stuff soon. I'd like to just think it's beta issues but the game's release is not that far out.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Those RAM tests are really telling. You can really see the VRAM requirements spill out to RAM when there isn't enough VRAM. Looks like it ideally needs around 16GB VRAM at 1080p and ~19GB at 4K.

The RAM requirements themselves don't look too bad as long as you can contain the game within VRAM. 16GB looks fine with a 20GB (and probably 16GB) VRAM card but you're going to need 32GB RAM with a 8GB VRAM card.

8GB VRAM and 16GB system RAM looks like it would be a complete dumpster fire.

Yet Nvidia just launched a $800+ card with 12GB VRAM and might be launching a $600 4060 with 8GB VRAM. It's not a good look. Appreciate it's a BETA and things will likely improve by launch but while this is on the extreme side of things it's part of an increasing number of games that are really showing 8GB/10GB to be really limiting. Doesn't bode well for the rest of the generation.

Considering the game runs at 4K/60 on far less capable hardware, I'm inclined to believe that the PC version is just broken and need a lot more optimization. It's a shame because my 1080ti is plenty fast enough to get 4K/60 but the VRAM/RAM shits out the performance. Hell even on medium textures it eventually starts degrading pretty quick (my experience) and that's with resolution scaling down to 80. Game needs more time in the oven.

blainethemono

Oct 27, 2017

1080ti
i7 8800k
32GB RAM

It's ridiculous.

5600x + 3070 8gb + 32gb ddr4 3600

this is pretty much what i'm seeing too @ 4k, high preset with medium textures. thought it was a network thing, sometimes it's stable 117fps for a while and then it'll stutter exactly like that and my character will start teleporting around pretty much the same way i remember seeing when i was playing thousands of hours of diablo 1 and 2 on dialup

also there's that little red icon flashing in the top left of the screen. no idea what that's indicating? again, thought it was a network thing, seems like it coincides with the stutters when you perform abilities?

it seemed a bit better when i set textures to low but then it started stuttering again so idk

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
i9 13900K
32 GB DDR5
4090 STRIX

Game settings maxed out @ 3440 x 1440 with 175 FPS cap. Game eats VRAM like it's candy, but personally didn't notice any shader stutters at any point so that is nice. Since I took shot of these stats I have increased resolution scale to 115% so VRAM usage may be even higher, could bump it even higher.

Value for VRAM is actual app usage, not what it has reserved. Reserved value must be bonkers.

zXflTiW.png

Edit: Only stutters that I encountered in the beta were networking(?) lags when transitioning from zone to next. Each time there was obvious load and in some cases reload of the zone, which to me implies game threw dice about which instance put me into. Even main hub city didn't lag for me with other players around. Also didn't notice any asset or texture popin.

Last edited:

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
gamegpu.com

so this explains why 3080 users need 32gbs of system ram to get the high texture options but god damn why do you even need that much for this game, surely something is wrong with that right?? Funny enough with medium textures playing today I started to notice some textures popping up late in cutscenes or when zooming in, I think it was only one or two instances in town.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
finally installed it and have already had to force close the game twice before getting passed the intro cutscene.

i didnt download it to 100% so that might be part of it...

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
the vram usages are goddamn wild, not the first and most likely not the last time launch 3090 turned out to be not that bad pick after all

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Noticed that all in-engine cutscenes are locked to 16:9 resolution and 44 FPS.

Setting textures on high seems to be bugged. I was getting massive stutters with the high resolution textures. Setting them to medium almost completely resolved it.

What GPU you have / how much VRAM you have? VRAM usage in this game is off the hook, big time.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All I can say is this game looks great with my 4090 at 5431 x 2263 (DSR - native is 3840 x 1600) + Reshade. It's a RAM eating monster, but I can still get 100+ fps with everything maxed.

If you want to see what it looks like, here you go.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Question for those that played the beta with medium textures: How did they look? Like, were the Ultra textures actually noticeably better or did the game overall look about the same? Especially if you're not playing at 4K?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Question for those that played the beta with medium textures: How did they look? Like, were the Ultra textures actually noticeably better or did the game overall look about the same? Especially if you're not playing at 4K?

Playing at 4k they were noticable, especially in the character selection screen and cutscenes.

Honestly if they can't get the VRAM usage under control for high textures, I hope they instead just make an option for high character textures and medium textures elsewhere to split the difference.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Playing at 4k they were noticable, especially in the character selection screen and cutscenes.
Ok. Just checking to make sure this wasn't one of those cases where Ultra was like 16K textures that aren't actually any different. Fallout 4 has like a 40GB "high resolution texture pack" that you can download that kills VRAM and loading times and doesn't actually look any different from the base game's textures unless you stick your face right up against the wood paneling or whatever. Didn't this have a texture pack like that too?

In any event, I've had a few games lately where I can just turn the textures down from Ultra to High and the game still looks fine.

Don't get me wrong, though... VRAM capping out is an issue. Your VRAM usage should never be bigger than the game itself. I don't remember that being a problem back in the day... games would simply use whatever they had and that was that.. they wouldn't keep requesting more and more until the game just blew up.

Pey

Nov 27, 2017
Argentina

Even at 1080p the HD assets are noticeable. Needless to say, you need to zoom in to appreciate the difference even more. I published a comparison with Low, Medium and High textures at 1080p (High needs 16 GB+ RAM to enable HD assets, hope they fix that in he next beta): https://www.pcmrace.com/2023/03/19/...erencia-incluso-en-1080p-es-bastante-notoria/

Last edited:

Azai

Jun 10, 2020

In normal view I didnt notice a difference at 1440p. You will probably only notice it in cutscenes or in close up situations of your character.
Btw did you mean "high" textures when you talk about Ultra?

Honestly if they can't get the VRAM usage under control for high textures, I hope they instead just make an option for high character textures and medium textures elsewhere to split the difference.

I think this is more an issue of optimization because even 12GB cards have this issue and I even saw some people with 24GB Vram having issues with the game maxing it out causing stuttering.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
i9 13900K
32 GB DDR5
4090 STRIX

Game settings maxed out @ 3440 x 1440 with 175 FPS cap. Game eats VRAM like it's candy, but personally didn't notice any shader stutters at any point so that is nice. Since I took shot of these stats I have increased resolution scale to 115% so VRAM usage may be even higher, could bump it even higher.

Value for VRAM is actual app usage, not what it has reserved. Reserved value must be bonkers.

zXflTiW.png

Edit: Only stutters that I encountered in the beta were networking(?) lags when transitioning from zone to next. Each time there was obvious load and in some cases reload of the zone, which to me implies game threw dice about which instance put me into. Even main hub city didn't lag for me with other players around. Also didn't notice any asset or texture popin.

Same specs for me except I have 64GB of RAM and I'm thankful that it ran great - same as you, only noticed 1sec hiccups here and there when clearly loading into a zone or fast traveling for a moment.

THAT SAID, while of course it should run well on such a rig - the game in no way shape or form looks or plays like a game that should need such raw power.