• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
User banned (5 days): inappropriate armchair diagnosis
Scalpers suck and, I'm sorry OP but it's true, people who pay twice the price of a videogame console because they can't wait a few more weeks and hurt others in doing so are the very definition of a looser. If you didn't do what you did, scalpers wouldn't have reduced the available stock and maybe you'd have found a console. Next time you feel an urge like this, I'd recommend rather talking to a therapist.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I look at it as basically you're paying a tax for not being patient and waiting for the stores to get their stock in (or for not playing the game of trying to get one thru other means like other people do from the stores.)

I've seen people where the difference between waiting years for a $100 price drop can make or break their decision, and I've seen people with enough money where an extra 300 quid is pretty much the same to them. So I mean, if you wanted it bad enough to spend the extra money on it, well, cheers.

I do, though, sincerely question why you'd post a thread about it here on ERA. You really should have read the room here, OP, and seen that this thread wouldn't be seen favorably by people lol.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I would never humor a scalper with buying anything from them. It is the only way to stop em.

I've bought concert tickets second hand but basically always at face value.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd 100% buy from a scalper if the launch games were worth it [but does that ever happen?].

Definitely not an issue this time.

I'm happy waiting on my series x until halo is ready.

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Do you OP. Don't let people tell you what to do with your money. Resellers with bots suck, some random dude who was able to get a console, then decided they can make a few extra bucks in these financially uncertain times do not suck.

JohnDusk

Oct 24, 2018
Supporting speculation is a bad practice and perpetuates the vicious circle by engaging with it. What's done is done though. So, enjoy your new console and don't feel bad, just try and learn from the experience and if you arrive to the same conclusion as most in this thread, let this be the last time that you support this kind of shitty business. 😉

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Scalpers suck and, I'm sorry OP but it's true, people who pay twice the price of a videogame console because they can't wait a few more weeks and hurt others in doing so are the very definition of a looser. If you didn't do what you did, scalpers wouldn't have reduced the available stock and maybe you'd have found a console. Next time you feel an urge like this, I'd recommend rather talking to a therapist.

If he didn't do what he did, scalpers wouldn't have reduced the available stock... by one.

It's not an individual's responsibility, it's Sony's. They enabled the scalpers market - launching with scarce stock and no real effort to target the sales to those who want the consoles for their own use.

They could say 'Our PS5 launch window begins in November and continues until January. If you've missed out on the launch day further stock will be available in December, and soon after in January'. A clear timeline would discourage scalping purchases, but they didn't do that.

If you're excited about a console and you can afford to drop £800 on it, you do you. Sony did them.

art_vandelay

Oct 27, 2017

How is the OP "hurting others" here?

Again, if you're argument is that scalpers reduce available stock then what about the insanely high number of people on this site that picked up multiple units?

This is a manufacturer and retail issue as much as it is a shithead scalper issue.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
it depends on your income.

If you make $100k, then paying an extra $100 or $200 for a ps5 when you weren't able to get your pre-order isn't the end of the world.

If you are living in your parents basement and working at mcdonalds, yeah then scalpers are problem.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Screenshot_2020-11-22_at_17.06.09.png

Character development
This is a tier below the guy who hooked up his PS3 with RCA cables and wondered if HD was overrated, but I still love this.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I wanted to sell my 2nd PS5 but I didn't want to deal with headache of ebay and the scalper guilt so I just sold it to my sister for the same price.
Those prices are outrageous though.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Got a 3080 and ps5 for retail price, would never pay scalped prices

Oct 27, 2017
it depends on your income.

If you make $100k, then paying an extra $100 or $200 for a ps5 when you weren't able to get your pre-order isn't the end of the world.

If you are living in your parents basement and working at mcdonalds, yeah then scalpers are problem.

yeah pretty much this. I feel a lot of people buy from scalpers here but don't want to admit it out of fear for ppl putting a scarlet letter on your account and being passive aggressive to you in future posts.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry OP, but you're actually part of the problem. Not as bad as the scalpers themselves, but you're supporting them. If people don't support scalpers, then they'll eventually stop because they'd be no profit to be had.

Too bad people are so impatient as to play close to double if not triple the retail price.

SnowHawk

Oct 28, 2017
England
I'm not going to insult you OP but £800? You could have bought it from CEX at £750 saving you £50 or made an offer on eBay.

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never buy from scalpers. That's just enabling them and promoting the act in itself. Let them sit on their investment and just wait for retailers. FOMO won't kill you.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

The hell is wrong with you? Telling people to go to therapy because they were okay with overpaying for a console? Jesus christ. And "hurting others" The theatrics of this post is just astounding.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
I do have the money and I wouldn't do it just because I don't care for scalpers and I have zero fomo on these things.
And def paying double makes no sense. Vs say paying 200 more at most.

you wouldn't do it, but obviously lots of people would do it given the fact that ebay scalpers are selling a bunch of them.

If you make enough money, a few dollars extra isn't really that big of deal.

Of course there's a limit to how much I would pay. I probably wouldn't pay double, but $200 I would consider it if I hadn't already gotten my pre-order.

Fortunately I got mine, but I don't begrudge anybody that pays extra. Who am I to tell you how to spend your money. Enjoy it.

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
yeah pretty much this. I feel a lot of people buy from scalpers here but don't want to admit it out of fear for ppl putting a scarlet letter on your account and being passive aggressive to you in future posts.
Stock X has sold through 18,000 PS5 or something like that in the last few days. So yeah. People are buying them.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
you wouldn't do it, but obviously lots of people would do it given the fact that ebay scalpers are selling a bunch of them.

If you make enough money, a few dollars extra isn't really that big of deal.
The reason most people are rich is not because they act on their impulses all the time. That's how you end up broke fast.
Stock X has sold through 18,000 PS5 or something like that in the last few days. So yeah. People are buying them.
That's so ridiculous.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
The hell is wrong with you? Telling people to go to therapy because they were okay with overpaying for a console? Jesus christ. And "hurting others" The theatrics of this post is just astounding.
You need therapy if you can't control yourself for a few weeks and instead drop twice the value of something. Therapy can help with lack of impulse control and FOMO is the consequence of social media and marketing companies taking advantage of our psychological weaknesses.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
The reason most people are rich is not because they act on their impulses all the time. That's how you end up broke fast.

I generally agree with that. The ability to defer gratification is a sign of how successful you will be in life.

However, it also depends. If gaming was my main hobby and if wasn't able to get my ps5, i would have no issue paying extra for it. The extra months of enjoyment I would get offsets the extra money I paid for it.

On the other hand, if was in the market for a new bike and the bike I wanted was not available, but I only bike occasionally, I would wait until the bike comes back into stock before I would buy it and not pay extra.

I mean why do people buy games at retail price on release when they can wait a few months and get it on sale? why can't they control their impulses and wait for a sale to get the game they want.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I generally agree with that. The ability to defer gratification is a sign of how successful you will be in life.

However, it also depends. If gaming was my main hobby and if wasn't able to get my ps5, i would have no issue paying extra for it. The extra months of enjoyment I would get offsets the extra money I paid for it.

On the other hand, if was in the market for a new bike and the bike I wanted was not available, but I only bike occasionally, I would wait until the bike comes back into stock before I would buy it and not pay extra.

I mean why do people buy games at retail price on release when they can wait a few months and get it on sale? why can't they control their impulses and wait for a sale to get the game they want.
Paying extra isn't as much in question more than paying double the price which is way too much. Paying 100 or even 200 over sure but double is pretty much being raked over the coals.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
It's a mass market product to be made in the millions... man, I get getting caught up in hype and wanting in, but jesus dude. You played yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.