TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
It's the best game released this year and it's so hard not to be snotty about people skipping over it for other games.

Macho Man was wrong, the cream sadly does not rise to the top.

I haven't seen anything about it that indicates it's the best or deserves to be at the top. Maybe they should show something that makes it seem mildly interesting.

Hell, I don't think I'd bother playing it even if it was free on PS+

I didn't even think about that, you're right, what is her name? Anyway, I hope it did well because I want to see more SP story games and less BR's and F2P games. Ugh

On the other hand, maybe I'd have considered it if it had a good multiplayer lol

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
So, do the environments and lighting vary beyond the stuff that Jim Sterling showed off? How about the abilities? His entire video looked like it could have taken place in the same room. The shooting looked like nothing special and the telekinesis looked like it had less impact than Bioshock's. I do not have it out for the game, cinematic stuff is just not for me but none of the gameplay that I saw stood out at all.
The abilities are great. It's low-key one of the best superhero games ever. And when you use them in a big firefight (especially the telekinetic launch power) the particle effects and destructibility in the environments is crazy. Maybe the best looking game I've ever seen in that regard. And the destructible environments become a tool that you can actually use to your advantage.

Don't want to say too much about the environment since a lot of it is tied into the story and the lore, but it's varied. Lots of wild shit that I wouldn't want to spoil.

If you have no interest in story or Remedy's signature style then it may not be worth picking up, but if you have even a passing interest in that then it's a must--play imo.

On the other hand, maybe I'd have considered it if it had a good multiplayer lol
giphy.gif

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought it. Heard great things. I'm on PC though, would not play the console versions because of the framerate.
I played through it on a base PS4, and although the framerate was far from perfect, I had a great time with it and got the plat. With the patches, the worst areas were improved. It's not a game that relies on high framerate to do well at, especially using shatter, launch, etc.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
I mean, I'm sure the game is great. I'd like to play it someday but it really felt like it went under the radar, especially for a Remedy game. They have been pretty bombastic about their storytelling and worldbuilding since Alan Wake but this one feels like it slipt through the cracks in that sense, I get it's supposed to be smaller in scope but to me, it seems as if it couldn't muster any buzz aside from the visuals, almost everything I've seen about it was talk about Ray Tracing and such.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
The whole EGS controversy and the fact that it released very close to more anticipated titles may have hurt it a little, but I'm not sure we can call it a flop yet. It depends on what they were expecting to sell.

I'm personally waiting for a price drop because there are so many games right now that I'm more interested in, but it seems like fun and I want to play it at some point.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
I almost never buy games at full price, and I didn't even know this game existed until this thread.

I'd try it out if it was cheaper

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't matter if a game bombs with customers anymore. There's money to be made selling it off to companies to use however they wish.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I finished my 2nd playthrough a couple of weeks ago thinking that was it for me. Just started my 3rd playthrough last night. A pearl before swine.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I didn't want to buy it, but my husband got it as he is blissfully unaware of all of this stuff, so so much for me not supporting EGS I guess.

That being said, I played it and it was fantastic. Finished it 100% last night and it was incredible. Easily Remedy's best game. I really, really hope it is successful. Hopefully the console and other storefront versions perform well!

I want more, Remedy.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I don't 60 bucks for any game. Maybe when it's cheaper on the EGS

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only being 13 bucks off a month after release is actually holding it's price pretty well. Seems most games go 50% by month one anymore.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Of course not, I never blamed Borderlands 3 for Control's commercial failure. Simply saying that it's a mediocre game that sells extremely well, as opposed to Control which is a fantastic game that nobody bought.

It isn't a mediocre game though lmao, but whatever floats your boat my guy. Control deserved better sales but no need to drag another game down.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Does this game not hitting the heights expected make Remedy more or less prone for a takeover by Sony (or anybody else).

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It seems to at least hold enough attention for conversation but yeah, forecast is looking like it may have kind of slowed down heavily for its sales figures.

It's one of my personal favorites this year but I think having a reputation for running poorly on base consoles is holding it back more than any other factor. As much as I personally favor the enhanced consoles, it's no secret that the vast majority of the market still has base consoles, and Control does not play nice there.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I hope people all saying the main character looks generic are unaware that she is modeled on a real person. That's what she really looks like.

Anyways it's a crime the game wasn't a hit. It's brilliant.
That wouldn't stop her from looking generic in the world of video games. It's not an insult to the actual person, she could be beautiful IRL.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I'd normally buy it at launch (like I do with most Remedy games), but in this case my PC wasn't going to run it too well, and PS4/XB1 performance was less than desirable, so I held out. Now that I have the rig to run it, I'm not keen on dropping $60 after having spent nearly $600 on new PC hardware.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
"It bombed"

Do you know how much it cost to make? Have you factored in that Tim Sweeney Cash? Basing it on any sales numbers?

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Third person action game where you control the environment without shooting and no coop? It was destined to bomb.

The concept seems so last gen.

I mean technically there's quite a lot of shooting but you'll throw stuff pretty much all the time anyway because it does much more damage

it was weird to me that using powers felt much more better than using the gun

Also the AI in the game is basically brain dead, there are fetch quests and the setting is definitely weird which wont necessarily reach most of the market, compared to say Bioshock that has a weird vibe in a beautiful retro environment

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
Would of bought Mario 64 100% if it was available elsewhere other than the N64. Actually threw out my cartridge I got with my N64.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
Why reviews matter, bugs, and performance matter, and gambling to come out pre-the fall/winter gaming avalanche was dumb. Seems like Rage 2 and Control should of spent more time in the oven. Polish and performance, tweak those tricky spots and really give your QA team a chance.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to buy this, but scared off by people here saying it was "unplayable" on an OG PS4. Is it really that bad? Have the patches helped?

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Game was...ok? to me but Its Remedy and maybe the Epic Exclusive didn't help it aint no Borderlands.

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to buy this, but scared off by people here saying it was "unplayable" on an OG PS4. Is it really that bad? Have the patches helped?

It's hilariously bad at times but it's not a dealbreaker.

Control shines in the worldbuilding, delivered through the writing, acting, environmental design and overall direction. The combat is the only thing where the framerate slumps are a pain in the ass and the combat is so scrappy anyway it feels bizarrely appropriate. Should it happen? No. But it does, and I played the whole thing with those issues occuring on base PS4, and I LOVED it.

YMMV. I'd say watch a stream but fresh eyes do wonders for this one.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's so sad if it did.

My game of the year. Maybe of the past few years.

I got my first legit Platinum trophy on it. (I don't count Walking Dead Season 1, everyone has that)

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I bought it for PS4 played an hour or two, put it down, and then bought a RTX 2070 Super with the game included for free. It was good on PS4 Pro, but if you can play it on PC with raytracing please do.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
If it goes on sale on EGS, I'll pick it up. Ideally it ends up in windows game pass soon.