Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, it's a Jewish website.

http://www.tabletmag.com/about

That being said, that does mean there's probably a sizable contingent of people there that are all in on Trump post-embassy debacle, regardless of their stance on him before. I don't know anything about the site itself, but it'd probably be safe to wager whoever wrote this is more pro-Trump than the new WSJ editorial staff.

Lol yeah it looks like they just put "jewish" before each category in the URL even if the article doesn't actually have anything explicitly related to Jews.

OP
OP
97_Mentality

97_Mentality

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if this were a thing, as others have pointed out, the WSJ or Fox would be blasting it everywhere.

Instead it on some unknown site.

Do you understand why we are questioning its validity?
I understand and I've never heard of the tablet before this either.. but that media site I linked you to says they are a legit source.. I don't know how legit is it.. but I recommend people at least read the article

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
at this rate obama will never get re elected. back to community organizing for Acorn where he belongs

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, how exactly did this trash article conclude that Obama spied on the Trump campaign? Is this more tapp nonsense?

Deleted member 20603

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The way I understand it, Obama opened an investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 election, not Trump himself. Even Comey said Trump wasn't personally under investigation. It gradually moved from the people meeting with Russian spymaster Kislyak to Trump himself once Mueller took over and started looking into finances and Trump's firing of Comey and other obstructions of justice and obfuscation of the truth. That's just simply how I remember it.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I understand and I've never heard of the tablet before this either.. but that media site I linked you to says they are a legit source.. I don't know how legit is it.. but I recommend people at least read the article

The thing is, you (and everyone honestly) needs to understand how to properly, really properly think about a news source before sharing it. Mediabiasfactcheck.com might say it is legit, but they also allow random people to rank stuff. This unknown website in the broader sense could have had its own employees ranking it as legit. And as pointed out, they pull from actual legit sources and twist thing and ignore evidence.

Trusted sources are journalists who back up their claims with proof. Not very poorly researched articles alleging a deep state conspiracy. Because Obama would have once again had to be a time traveler to be behind this.

kittenbreath

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just wanna know why this is under "Jewish News and Politics"

Tablet is a Jewish magazine, so...?

Anyway OP, you need to realize that you're being played for a chump. The FBI opened up its investigation into Trump's ties to Russia in the summer of 2016, long before they had the dossier (around the same time it was being compiled itself).

That there were inappropriate ties between the campaign and Russian operatives is so obvious as to be beyond question at this point and you'd have to have been completely disconnected from the news for the past year to believe otherwise. Anyone telling you that the "real scandal" is anything other than those ties is an idiot, a liar, a partisan hack or all of the above.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fake news/opinion as hell. The Obama administration did not have investigations on Trump, they were investigations into Russian meddling. At no point was the focus or goal Trump himself

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
There is a great big logical chasm between "the president was going to challenge the legitimacy of the election" and "we're not convinced about Steele's credentials and the dossier seems kinda like the writing of these other guys who were already interested in Manafort and also the president was being briefed on Russia in August".

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I think the mods should ban these sources from being linked on the forums to begin with. If this was true the gop will would have ate Obama alive.

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
There has been so many false allegations coming from the Trump administration and the alt-right towards the Obama administration and the Hilary Clinton campaign. I would not be surprised if this just add to that lists.

Obama has been the president of United States for 8 years and has conducted himself in a manner that has shown to be more than professional. I doubt that he suddenly had a brain fart at the end of his term. Right now, I only see another attempt at hearsay by the right. Just a week ago they were complaining about how Mueller's team obtained Trump emails.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not sure what they're actually alleging Obama did here, in that even the timeline they propose isn't "Obama used oppo research to force the intelligence community to investigate stuff!"

They're claiming he got the report in August 2016 in a communication from the CIA. Because the CIA had the information and thought he should be briefed on it? Which requires taking the leap of faith that the CIA report was actually just the Steele dossier and not a CIA report at all, which I don't think the article actually provides a credible case for.

But if the CIA had the dossier already, and considered it something that supported the need for an investigation, and further thought the implications were important enough that the information be relayed to the president, how the hell is that Obama using oppo research to manipulate the intelligence community? They brought it to him, apparently as a legitimate concern.

And, frankly, when McCain got the dossier after the election he responded by taking it to the head of the FBI, so it's not like the only reason anybody was talking about it was partisan desperation.

So I still totally don't get what they're alleging actually happened to be Watergate-worthy; that the dossier started as oppo research doesn't matter if the CIA got wind off t and felt compelled to investigate, and I'm not sure what kind of White House scandal there is in the President apparently supporting the intelligence community investigating a document the intelligence community brought to his attention in the first place.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Having read the article, it's a very speculative "deep state" think piece, alleging that reporters at the Washington Post and WSJ manufactured the Steele dossier (with the layup of Paul Manafort to tie it together) in order to discredit Donald Trump.

There's almost nothing about Obama in it at all.

The kicker at the end ("why would anyone leak potentially classified info to the Washington Post?") is kind of embarrassing for the writer.

Oct 25, 2017
I forsee a lot more junk like this to show up on era. People really testing the leniency, trying to promote shit knowing people only read the title and first post a lot of the time.

konka

Oct 25, 2017

Then it's definitely something worth saying everyone should read. Jaysus.

giphy.gif

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
REPUBLICANS CONTROL ALL BRANCHES OF GOVERNMENT

No conservative conspiracy involving the federal government and dems is probable.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao

What an article. It's so out there that I don't get why anyone would take it seriously. Some deep state shit.

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand what the basis is for the Steele dossier being *the* thing that has caused all this investigation. I feel like the CIA telling the FBI about all the Russia/Trump campaign contact and the Russian disinformation campaign were more important kickstarters.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Is this sarcasm? Or are you saying the Donald crap is allowed here?

I misread you I believe. I thought you were talking about Trump news in general, but now I think you are referring to the bot infested reddit The_Donald.

That shit is absolutely not allowed here. Since I am posting in this thread I can't really moderate it, but I initially left it alone so perhaps the OP could learn about proper sourcing of articles such as this.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Trump is scared shitless as are LOTS of Republican and Russian insiders, so expect a lot more of this misdirection in days to come.

SerAardvark

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand what the basis is for the Steele dossier being *the* thing that has caused all this investigation. I feel like the CIA telling the FBI about all the Russia/Trump campaign contact and the Russian disinformation campaign were more important kickstarters.

The dossier being the starting point for the Russia investigations is a right-wing/pro-Trump talking point that (surprisingly!) isn't true.

OP
OP
97_Mentality

97_Mentality

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I misread you I believe. I thought you were talking about Trump news in general, but now I think you are referring to the bot infested reddit The_Donald.

That shit is absolutely not allowed here. Since I am posting in this thread I can't really moderate it, but I initially left it alone so perhaps the OP could learn about proper sourcing of articles such as this.
I appreciate that .. my first instinct was to check the source .. didn't realize you can't use media bias fact check

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ah okay
Thanks

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Hannity would have given his left nut to be the first one with legitimate proof of Obama illegally investigating Trump. There is no secret conspiracy against the orange dotard. Everything that happens to him is of his own making.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
There is a great big logical chasm between "the president was going to challenge the legitimacy of the election" and "we're not convinced about Steele's credentials and the dossier seems kinda like the writing of these other guys who were already interested in Manafort and also the president was being briefed on Russia in August".

Having read the article, it's a very speculative "deep state" think piece, alleging that reporters at the Washington Post and WSJ manufactured the Steele dossier (with the layup of Paul Manafort to tie it together) in order to discredit Donald Trump.

There's almost nothing about Obama in it at all.

The kicker at the end ("why would anyone leak potentially classified info to the Washington Post?") is kind of embarrassing for the writer.

I'm still not sure what they're actually alleging Obama did here, in that even the timeline they propose isn't "Obama used oppo research to force the intelligence community to investigate stuff!"

They're claiming he got the report in August 2016 in a communication from the CIA. Because the CIA had the information and thought he should be briefed on it? Which requires taking the leap of faith that the CIA report was actually just the Steele dossier and not a CIA report at all, which I don't think the article actually provides a credible case for.

But if the CIA had the dossier already, and considered it something that supported the need for an investigation, and further thought the implications were important enough that the information be relayed to the president, how the hell is that Obama using oppo research to manipulate the intelligence community? They brought it to him, apparently as a legitimate concern.

And, frankly, when McCain got the dossier after the election he responded by taking it to the head of the FBI, so it's not like the only reason anybody was talking about it was partisan desperation.

So I still totally don't get what they're alleging actually happened to be Watergate-worthy; that the dossier started as oppo research doesn't matter if the CIA got wind off t and felt compelled to investigate, and I'm not sure what kind of White House scandal there is in the President apparently supporting the intelligence community investigating a document the intelligence community brought to his attention in the first place.

These posts reflect my read of the article. Even if you accept every claim it makes, it never even attempts to back up its first two paragraphs. I'm not sure its possible to read the entire thing and come out convinced that Obama had orchestrated a baseless, politically-motivated investigation against a political rival. The headline and first two paragraphs feel like they come from another universe.

I don't know why you'd make a thread about this article unless you didn't get further than the very beginning before running here.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The article starts off immediately suggesting the whole thing is a "fake news" attack on trump by saying Fusion GPS is the whole reason people suspect Collusion and how its all been turned around on non trumpers. So yeah this is about as true a story as the Easter Bunny.

Its basically a Hannity "Monologue Segment" turned into an article. Its all Evil Obama and his minions attacking Trump

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I appreciate that .. my first instinct was to check the source .. didn't realize you can't use media bias fact check

There's actually a ton of things you can do to make sure you aren't sharing stuff that feeds into the toxic loop of fake news/alternative facts cesspool that is currently engulfing American culture.

This video with Christiane Amanpour is something every one should watch.

https://youtu.be/iU1bhHeCkoU

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I'm am locking this thread now, but I encourage everyone to read up on how to parse the truth out and let go of bias.

Holding forum members to a higher standard regarding sketchy sources keeps forums from contributing to the post fact er we are currently moving through.

Status
Not open for further replies.