• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Lol, I think it's just a bit of a tongue twister of a word to say, and when saying the full game title even more difficult. I find it difficult and I kinda "study" (very loosely) Japanese. Tsu is just a difficult sound to say, anyone struggling should basically just say "Su" as in "su-shi". Basically sounds the same to us and far easier to say. Hope that's not too controversial.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
[QUOTE="Jaded Alyx, post: 39882933, 1. Nobody says 'Chan', they say 'Chun'

2. Capcom themselves pronounce it 'Chun' in English as opposed to 'Choon' in Japanese
[/QUOTE]

That doesn't makes it right though even if it's Capcom. That's not how 春 is pronounced in Mandarin Chinese.......

Me being annoyed by this little mispronunciation is no more different than Japanese speakers annoyed by other people mispronouncing Ryu as 'ree-you'.

Think this is going way off topic.....we are talking about 'ghost of Su-She-Ma' here

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
OP was banned
tenor.gif

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
I heard Tsushima with a T, Sushima, Shushima from different reviewers, so what are you talking about? maybe you can answer me in 2 weeks when your ban is lifted lol

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I thought this would be locked while reading and laughing...
but i'm in... lets get to the case.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
where does Sony mandating proper pronunciation fall in the conspiracy iceberg?

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Is Tsushima even hard to pronounce in English? All those sounds exist in English already.
'tsu' does not exist in English. English speakers typically struggle with sounds like tsu, ryu, ryo, etc.
Lots of people say they say 'su shi ma' which is not correct; su and tsu are different sounds.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
'tsu' does not exist in English. English speakers typically struggle with sounds like tsu, ryu, ryo, etc.
Lots of people say they say 'su shi ma' which is not correct; su and tsu are different sounds.

If Americans can say etcetera (heh) and zoo, I have a hard time seeing how they couldn't say "tsu".

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

How does anime fans pronounce the name of the frog girl in My Hero Academia? Her preferred nickname is literally Tsu. They say just "Su"? lol

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Polygon posted an article about TLOU and giraffes. Clearly Sony made them hold off on that article until today. Also, if you pay attention, Joel silently sounded out "tsushima" in every scene in TLOU2 when Ellie wasn't looking directly at him. Except he said it incorrectly - or did he?

Neil, what say you? Perhaps Vice should write an article about this. This whole thing is very concerning.

How do you pronounce giraffes?
How do you pronounce tsushima?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even think it would be that weird if they did. I've heard before that some gameplay-focused companies will give reviewers material that will show them how they're supposed to play, so why not give them materials that will show them how to pronounce a name that they might find confusing?

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people say "exetera" to avoid having to make that ts sound, though.

Then how about "eight suits"? If English speakers can pronounce that then they can pronounce tsu. It's really not a hard name to pronounce, IMO. Reminds me of my wife's graduation ceremony in the U.S. Her name is Uetsuji and the guy pronounced it "Uetsutsu".

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Scientists need to get to studying the Gamer Brain to see how someone could come up with thoughts like this

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, OP got banned for "Just asking questions."

Lol.

Also this thread made me really self conscious about my speech impediment given how many times I've said Tsushima while reading it.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ryu? How about Chun-Li?

As a Mandarin speaker, hearing the fgc mispronouncing Chun-Li as 'chan-lee' get on my nerves.

It's pronounce as 'choon-lee'....goddamnit. That's basically 2 Chinese words, 春丽. There's no Chinese word in existence that's pronounced as 'chan' (in Mandarin that is).

*Rant over

I've literally never heard anybody say Chan Li in my 29 years of playing Street Fighter.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So OP got banned (deserved), but the thread is still open? Thread is bad, OP gets time out... What is there to discuss at this point? Dunking on stupidity is a good time, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.