• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

This is some big brain thinking from Sony

We're confident PC players will fall in love with Aloy and her world. Then, when Horizon Forbidden West arrives for PlayStation 5 and it's time to find out where Aloy's journey takes her next, we invite them to join along!

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What do you mean did they? You linked to them doing it lol

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
Is such bad port it's not going to work or that way for them

Meuro

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 18, 2020
Well, the game is received very poorly. This plan failed hard.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
If that's the case, do it for Spider Man. Do it for God of War. Do it for any games getting a PS5 sequel.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why else?
Game is old enough as is the console. Port the game to PC and maybe gain some new fans that want the new game on PS5.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
they're trying to sell more playstations and games, not exactly a "big brain" move, but rather a logical one.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
By making shitty port that is embracing shit PC port development of last-gen?

#doubt

Shit ports wont convince PC gamers to get more of your games, especially if they need get HW (read: console) for them.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
this seems like a redundant question. of course they used it as advertising for their next game and the ps5. we're not exactly being hoodwinked.

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty much seems that way. It can be seen as pretty smart but honestly I feel they are leaving a lot of money out there. I mean Bloodborne isnt on PC or 1886. Maybe if they make a sequel thats the only way they will get a PC release its just weird to me .

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Having a shoddy port seems a poor way to go about selling the PS5 to PC players

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Unless every game on PS5 have a 60fps mode, I won't buy one. So, good luck with that.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Company rereleases first entry in series to catch more players for the sequel"

It can't be.

Well, the game is received very poorly. This plan failed hard.
Not really:
opencritic.com

Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition Reviews

Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition is rated 'Strong' after being reviewed by 55 critics, with an overall average score of 83. It's ranked in the top 9% of games and recommended by 91% of critics.

Also, top of the sales in Steam. Having a bad port (which I'm not at all defending) won't make this any less than a success.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously yes. Make more money by selling an old game on a new platform and potentially gain new fans in time for the sequel. Is that a difficult concept to get?

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
That is clearly what they were doing but when they can't be bothered to put out a good port it's tough to think it'll move the needle on people that weren't already swayed.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I think that was the whole point. Maybe part way due to some work done by Kojima Productions doing preliminary work to support PC as well (though I'm aware the port itself was outsourced)

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, obviously.

I have to believe Sony's software sales are nothing compared to their licensing fees. They want to sell PS5s.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
They probably thought it would be an easy port with Death Stranding also being done on the same engine.

Then they rushed it out and underwhelmed everyone

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If they only wanted to sell PS5s, they misread the PC market hard. PC gamers will glady wait five more years for a Horizon 2 port after getting a taste of Sony on PC

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Certainly sounds like that was part of it. Lol.

"For anyone who's never owned a PS4, or those who've skipped on a generation or more, it's a great example of the kinds of games we consistently aim to deliver."

Translates to;

"Should have bought a PS4 sooner, because these are the kinds of exclusives you've been missing out on."

And...

"We're confident PC players will fall in love with Aloy and her world. Then, when Horizon Forbidden West arrives for PlayStation 5 and it's time to find out where Aloy's journey takes her next, we invite them to join along!"

Translates to;

"If you want to play more and find out how Horizon continues in the sequel, you should buy a PS5."

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't work.

PC players not owning a PS4 at this point is a choice.

It's the same when console players just won't buy a PC or play on a PC.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Good luck convincing PC players to move from PC after they got tons of PS4/PS3 exclusives in past year or so XD

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No, the game was released on PC to make money by selling the game to PC owners. It's not going to translate into thousands of new PS faithful or converts, like some of you are strangely willing to believe.

This is a port for people who were already willing to wait over 3 years to play the game on their preferred platform. It's probably not going to convince very many people to rush out and spend 500 on a new console so they can play the sequel day one. It's a silly thought at best.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
No because they would've put effort into the port. Their games will continue to come to PC, don't know why people have to jump through hoops to accept it. It's an untapped market that 100% digital.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
The port will hurt the success. Majority of steam users are on a 1060ti and that gets PS4 performance. If you also own a PS4 you may as well just play it there

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
They are testing the financial feasibility of turning exclusives into timed exclusives. The amount of buzz this is getting would suggest they will be making a decent return on investment.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
By making shitty port that is embracing shit PC port development of last-gen?

#doubt

Shit ports wont convince PC gamers to get more of your games, especially if they need get HW (read: console) for them.

Not defending the port quality, but if the port was perfect, wouldn't PC players have even more reason to wait for an eventual PC port of Horizon 2?
While I understand Sony's strategy here, I doubt that there will be a lot of PC players who would have bought a PS5 just based on this unless they were already planning to buy one for other exclusives. Once PC players know that there is a chance of an eventual PC port, they will wait as long as they have to.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
They made their game with an upcoming high profile sequel available to a wider audience than ever.

What ever could possibly be their intention?