• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
If it makes them a big chunk of change to fund development, why not do it? I don't see a ton of other properties that they have with this kind of sales potential on PC.

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
You say stubborn I say patient and better with their money.

ClzYnoF.png

Plenty of stuff to play anyways for me atm.
I'm not sure about the money part...those parts aren't cheap...
So if you don't buy a Playstation you're a stubborn person?
Well not PS specifically but PC only gamers are known to look down on console gaming and would rather wait for a PC port no matter how long, hence the stubborn part...

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
ill end up with a ps5 regardless because of the exclusives. but because of HZD coming to pc, im probably going to want to wait for a pc version now. i just hope devs will be more transparent about any pc versions (planned or otherwise) so i dont double dip.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Considering the state of the port, this is like trying to get someone to come home with you from the bar by loudly farting next to them and flashing a toothy grin at them when they catch a whiff.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the state of the port, this is like trying to get someone to come home with you from the bar by loudly farting next to them and flashing a toothy grin at them when they catch a whiff.
But if the game is fun to play and PC players love the story but the port sucks, wouldn't that push PC players even harder to buy a PS5 since it will play best on that platform?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
If you're satisfied with playing on low-medium settings...But the main argument of PC gaming is performance compared to consoles, at least that's why I built my PC 4 years ago and it wasn't exactly cheap...

I dont give a fuck about 4k.

My pc is over 3 yo and it runs everything on high at 60 at 1440p or 1080p if need be.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
If you're satisfied with playing on low-medium settings...But the main argument of PC gaming is performance compared to consoles, at least that's why I built my PC 4 years ago and it wasn't exactly cheap...
The main argument of PC gaming is choice, including the choice of better performance and visuals than consoles. Chasing the best is reserved to a very small audience, I mean you can take a look at the average Steam Hardware Survey and it's clear as day what hardware PC gamers are on

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This was obvious from the get-go. Sony gets a second wind of income and markets the series.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
If they did I don't know if it worked. From what I've seen the message that some have taken from it is that if they wait long enough PC gamers can just play most (non-Nintendo) games on their platform eventually.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
The funny thing is I am already one of those PC / PlayStation customers that this marketing approach apparently aims to ensnare and I don't know how many times I need to explain that we're shitty dead-end low revenue customers. My approach to next generation is going to be very, very similar to this one. Sony will make money off me over the next 5 - 7 years, but the revenue will be largely superficial compared revenue generated from tapping into two ecosystems.

I get it though. I get that this might be part of Sony's approach and yes they will win some people over. But I really think there's a good batch of people who've spent their lives invested in console ecosystems who still don't understand the PC market is not as directly interchangeable as it is between to consoles. They still view "PC" though the same lens that they view "Xbox". Same with Nintendo, who in the same breath don't give a fucking shit about your Xbox and PlayStation and are happy making money their own way.

I can absolutely, positively guarantee an overwhelmingly vast majority of existing PC gamers, people already willing to spend $1000+ on their setups, may buy a next generation consoles (again, like me!) but will not invest in the ecosystem. And a huge quantity of these games will not buy a next gen console at all. It's not like Sony trying to win over Xbox fans, or vice versa, when both systems are so fundamentally identical in their form and function that it's largely trivialities that separate them (though this is getting spicy with Microsoft's offerings). PCs are not consoles. They do not offer the same functionality, usability, and ecosystem. they are fundamentally, at their core, different platforms. And the people who invest a lot of money into them are doing so because they offer what Sony and Microsoft absolutely do not.

This is precisely why Microsoft gave up and just said "fuck it, let's sell our games and services to them anyway". I'm not suggesting Sony has to do the same. But I am saying that, for example, Sony has significantly more to benefit from selling the PlayStation brand to PC gamers in order to lure in new PS Now customers as streaming gets bigger than trying to lure them over to PlayStation 5. And it works both ways too; console players are unlikely, by and large, to pack up and start spending two/three times the money on a gaming PC that isn't half as accessible. Different oceans.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
This is precisely why Microsoft gave up and just said "fuck it, let's sell our games and services to them anyway". I'm not suggesting Sony has to do the same. But I am saying that, for example, Sony has significantly more to benefit from selling the PlayStation brand to PC gamers in order to lure in new PS Now customers as streaming gets bigger than trying to lure them over to PlayStation 5. And it works both ways too; console players are unlikely, by and large, to pack up and start spending two/three times the money on a gaming PC that isn't half as accessible. Different oceans.
Agree with everything you say except this - I feel like streaming is a harder sell to PC gamers because we want, nay demand all the wonderful trappings of native PC releases - control over various settings pertaining to how the games look and run, the ability to modify (even if just injecting Reshade) and the ability to use single player cheats (for much the same reason - to tailor the experience to our preference). I would rather drop those 500 clams on the box that I'm only going to play 10 or so games on over its lifetime than use PS Now with inferior visual quality and input lag. That's not to say I'll definitely do even that - it's quite possible I'll just skip the next PlayStation entirely.

Perseus

Sep 5, 2019
Yes and it will help drive PS5 sales I believe. Horizon Zero Dawn is a great game, I played it on my PS4 Pro, and I will play it again on my PC, especially since it has ultra wide support.

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
I dont give a fuck about 4k.

My pc is over 3 yo and it runs everything on high at 60 at 1440p or 1080p if need be.
Yeah mine does to, and 1080p/60 FPS is still better then what can be achieved on consoles so the argument still stands imo...
The main argument of PC gaming is choice, including the choice of better performance and visuals than consoles. Chasing the best is reserved to a very small audience, I mean you can take a look at the average Steam Hardware Survey and it's clear as day what hardware PC gamers are on
Well yeah, but the main argument still is performance/visuals..
Educate yourself on what PC gaming actually is first before making uninformed, outdated opinions.
Chill dude, I game on PC myself no need to get all defensive...It's just my opinion, and a pretty accurate one if I may say so myself because if you compile all the main arguments used for PC gaming on every social media platform, the majority will be better visuals/ performance..

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah mine does to, and 1080p/60 FPS is still better then what can be achieved on consoles so the argument still stands imo...

Well yeah, but the main argument still is performance/visuals..

Chill dude, I game on PC myself no need to get all defensive...It's just my opinion, and a pretty accurate one if I may say so myself because if you compile all the main arguments used for PC gaming on every social media platform, the majority will be better visuals/ performance..
Not even remotely close. The ability to run the game at whatever visual/performance anyone desires is the proper word. Then there are cheaper games, mods, community features, full blown backwards compatibility and a long list after that.

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I played a couple hours of HZD already, decent game so far but nothing special.

If you think I'm buying a PS5 for the sequel you're fucking crazy Sony.

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
Not even remotely close. The ability to run the game at whatever visual/performance anyone desires is the proper word.
Who wants to run the game on a lower res/framerate then it's console counterpart?

Anyway my man I love gaming on my PC and will continue doing so for third party games but I'm not going to deny the cost of maintaining it..let's just leave it at that👍🏻
Cheers!

Deleted member 10675

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
Who wants to run the game on a lower res/framerate then it's console counterpart?

Anyway my man I love gaming on my PC and will continue doing so for third party games but I'm not going to deny the cost of maintaining it..let's just leave it at that👍🏻
Cheers!
Well, someone may definitely want to run a game at a lower res but higher frame rates than on console.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018

Cheers!
I played through this generation on a laptop that's barely faster than a Switch, finished Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro on 800x450@30fps, and I still prefer it over getting a PS4. And with better hardware, I'd choose 720p60 over 1080p30 on consoles any day
On PC you can spend as much as you want. If you're thinking of "maintenance cost", then you're already in the enthusiast category, which is not a majority of the PC gaming crowd

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
I can't see a company that is actively making efforts to keep 3rd party games/content away from PC fully embracing the latter as as a platform for its own games in the long-run. Certain games may get ports though, such as maybe Bloodborne and Dreams. PS Now is probably how they want to offer most of their content across platforms moving forward.

I can absolutely, positively guarantee an overwhelmingly vast majority of existing PC gamers, people already willing to spend $1000+ on their setups, may buy a next generation consoles (again, like me!) but will not invest in the ecosystem.
I would rather drop those 500 clams on the box that I'm only going to play 10 or so games on over its lifetime than use PS Now with inferior visual quality and input lag.

Considering how the PS4 has an attach rate of 10 games, Sony is still profiting from this segment of the market that only invests in 10 or so games.

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I can absolutely, positively guarantee an overwhelmingly vast majority of existing PC gamers, people already willing to spend $1000+ on their setups, may buy a next generation consoles (again, like me!) but will not invest in the ecosystem.
A lot of players, while getting older, dropped the PC world and stay only on consoles. I think they are trying to convince those people. "When you will drop your PC, remember we have good games".

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of players, while getting older, dropped the PC world and stay only on consoles.

Absolutely, when getting older and more financially stable people drop PC gaming and go for consoles. After playing for decades mainly on PC.
Yes, that makes zero sense.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I suspect that as Sony has moved completely to PS5 development that we'll see even fewer PC games from them. The new games are going to fully take advantage of the vastly improved I/O throughput and that's just not compatible with the vast majority of PCs out there. Microsoft's dedication to supporting PC is great but it will probably hold their games back. I can see Sony porting old games to PC but even then this only happened to Horizon because it's on the Decima engine so it might be a one off. I think that Playstation sees PC gaming more as direct competition than ever before, and they're planning to lure gamers away by showing off the value of what the PS5 can do.

PS Now is a long term play but it's vastly less important than the PS5. Playstation will try to shore up the latter for at least the next couple of years instead of muddying their messaging. Strategically it's a superior move as it's far better to leverage a successful PS5 to promote other products and services than vice versa. It's really too bad in a way because I'm a PC gamer and I don't have any intention of buying any console. Then again I mostly play the kind of game that either wouldn't show up on console to begin with, or strategy games that work way better with a mouse.

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
Well, someone may definitely want to run a game at a lower res but higher frame rates than on console.
Well, I got into PC gaming to get a smoother experience than I'd get on my PS4 so to me it's unthinkable but ok..

I played through this generation on a laptop that's barely faster than a Switch, finished Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro on 800x450@30fps, and I still prefer it over getting a PS4. And with better hardware, I'd choose 720p60 over 1080p30 on consoles any day
On PC you can spend as much as you want. If you're thinking of "maintenance cost", then you're already in the enthusiast category, which is not a majority of the PC gaming crowd
I admire you my friend. I always have a hard time going back to 30 FPS, the exception being TLOU2 which had some of the smoothest 30 FPS I've seen this gen..

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Considering how the PS4 has an attach rate of 10 games, Sony is still profiting from this segment of the market that only invests in 10 or so games.

Yep, and they seem happy with that, even if (AFAIK) bigger numbers/revenue can be found from tapping into two ecosystems.

A lot of players, while getting older, dropped the PC world and stay only on consoles. I think they are trying to convince those people. "When you will drop your PC, remember we have good games".

I agree. Those people do and always will exist. My question is to what volume they exist and if their revenue is valuable relative to cross ecosystem release. I'm firmly in belief that the quantity of PC gamers eager to abandon platfom and shift entirely to a console ecosystem are always going to be in significantly lesser proportion to revenue generation from general PC gaming audiences willing to buy software irrespective of potential console ownership.

I suspect that as Sony has moved completely to PS5 development that we'll see even fewer PC games from them. The new games are going to fully take advantage of the vastly improved I/O throughput and that's just not compatible with the vast majority of PCs out there. Microsoft's dedication to supporting PC is great but it will probably hold their games back. I can see Sony porting old games to PC but even then this only happened to Horizon because it's on the Decima engine so it might be a one off. I think that Playstation sees PC gaming more as direct competition than ever before, and they're planning to lure gamers away by showing off the value of what the PS5 can do.

PS Now is a long term play but it's vastly less important than the PS5. Playstation will try to shore up the latter for at least the next couple of years instead of muddying their messaging. Strategically it's a superior move as it's far better to leverage a successful PS5 to promote other products and services than vice versa. It's really too bad in a way because I'm a PC gamer and I don't have any intention of buying any console. Then again I mostly play the kind of game that either wouldn't show up on console to begin with, or strategy games that work way better with a mouse.

I don't disagree that Sony's first party studio priority is on PS5 game development, not ports. After all, this is why Horizon was ported by another team. But the notion of Sony luring PC gamers away due to "value of what the PS5 can do" is question. As I said, PC and console ecosystems are not interchangeable and people need to get out of that headspace. PC is not Xbox/PlayStation. The reasons many are willing to invest so much time and money into PC is precisely because of things that Sony/Microsoft fundamentally do not do in any way. It's not just how pretty things look. Which, to be perfectly honest, is really just a matter of time. PS5 can push fancy SSD shit all it likes. PC will catch up, and fast. It's the nature of the beast.

Because like you said, you're a PC gamer with no intention of buying a next gen console. The real questions are; what does Sony want, what are they happy with, and at what cost?

Gamers in general are more likely to jump ship between consoles than they are PC to consoles (and vice versa). This is literally how Nintendo was able to sustain success with the Wii and Switch post the GameCube; separating themselves from the market status quo and becoming their own appealing platform irrespective of competitors.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Well not PS specifically but PC only gamers are known to look down on console gaming and would rather wait for a PC port no matter how long, hence the stubborn part...

Stubborn seems like it would mean they aren't doing something they're supposed to be doing; I feel like patient is a much better descriptor.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I don't disagree that Sony's first party studio priority is on PS5 game development, not ports. After all, this is why Horizon was ported by another team. But the notion of Sony luring PC gamers away due to "value of what the PS5 can do" is question. As I said, PC and console ecosystems are not interchangeable and people need to get out of that headspace. PC is not Xbox/PlayStation. The reasons many are willing to invest so much time and money into PC is precisely because of things that Sony/Microsoft fundamentally do not do in any way. It's not just how pretty things look. Which, to be perfectly honest, is really just a matter of time. PS5 can push fancy SSD shit all it likes. PC will catch up, and fast. It's the nature of the beast.
I'm actually not convinced about this. Usually, PCs have technology that is significantly more capable than what's available on consoles. The last time that a console had any real advantage was the PS3's Blu-ray player, but Blu-ray has been largely rejected in the PC market so it's not much of a selling point. On the other hand, the PS5's SSD offers I/O that's simply not matchable by anything on the market right now, and it's unlikely to be matched by anything other than top end enthusiast equipment for the forseeable future. And for once, this new technology enables major changes in the way that games are designed; changes that aren't going to be possible on lesser hardware. While superior technology isn't going to draw all PC gamers, this is effectively the first time that any console technology threatens to do that.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I'm firmly in belief that the quantity of PC gamers eager to abandon platfom and shift entirely to a console ecosystem are always going to be in significantly lesser proportion to revenue generation from general PC gaming audiences willing to buy software irrespective of potential console ownership.
I believe that too. The main reason to release on PC is money. Saying this is a way to make the shift is a patent lie to appease stupid angry fans.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
57% positive reviews on Steam, not the best way to lure people into a different platform...

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I built my PC 4 years ago and cost me around 800€ and still works well today (1070 + i7 6700k)
If you look at steam stats you will see that there are many who keep old parts for quite a bit. Most PC gamers aren't using high end cards.

or is a 1060 a high end and expensive card to you?

lEvhvst.png

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
I built my PC 4 years ago and cost me around 800€ and still works well today (1070 + i7 6700k)
If you look at steam stats you will see that there are many who keep old parts for quite a bit. Most PC gamers aren't using high end cards.

or is a 1060 a high end and expensive card to you?

lEvhvst.png
Well I'd been a console exclusive gamer until that time so I had to buy everything from scratch(including screen)..I paid around 1600€ for my build..