• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game deserved to be 2016's Game of the Year?

• Uncharted 4

Votes: 1,299 44.5%
  • Doom

Votes: 595 20.4%
  • Overwatch

Votes: 234 8.0%
  • Dark Souls 3

Votes: 257 8.8%
  • The Last Guardian

Votes: 183 6.3%
  • Final Fantasy XV

Votes: 76 2.6%
  • Another game not listed

Votes: 275 9.4%

• Total voters

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 4 was both the big winner GOTY for 2016 as well as the Community GOTY on the other site. In retrospect, did it deserve its title? I've included the #2 through #6-voted games from the community GOTY thread as possible alternatives.

I'm more partial to Doom myself. I feel Uncharted 4 was a well-produced but safe sequel; I enjoyed it at the time but rememeber almost nothing about it now. On the other hand, Doom felt like a real boot in the as both to the Doom series and to FPS campaigns in general. I replayed the game several times which is something I haven't done in like a decade at least.

Last edited:

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would have preferred The Last Guardian to get GOTY, but I won't act like UC4 also didn't deserve it.

Rationale

Alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
If you can count expansions (it was pretty much the size of some full games), then the best "game" of that year was The Witcher 3: Blood & Wine.

Ignoring that, DOOM was a very strong contender. However, it's sort of the anti-thesis of Uncharted 4's design so it's hard to compare.

The-Demon

Alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Out of the list of the other games yes, however if there was stiffer competition then no

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
I thought Overwatch won multiple Goty from different outlets that year? It even won again in 2017 for a couple places.

Regardless it doesn't matter much to me, as long as your favorite games makes it into top 5 it top 10 it's worthy.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I personally would have given it to DOOM as well. But Uncharted 4 was also a very good gasme. I enjoyed it a lot. And that coming from someone who didn't like the series until then at all.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Titanfall 2 and Doom and Hitman where much better.

2016 was a good yeah though, huh

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I think in the GAF voting thread my top 3 that year was Uncharted, then DOOM, then Overwatch, but now it would be Overwatch, then DOOM, then Uncharted.

At the time, I knew I liked Overwatch a lot, but I had no idea I would put 2,000 hours into it over the next few years.

tomd96

Jul 6, 2018
For me, only Dark Souls 3 matches or beats it from that list, and Uncharted has wider appeal, so I don't feel like it's a bad choice for GOTY. It was mine at the time too, as I didn't play DS3 until later.

I did enjoy all of the others in the list but not as much as Uncharted 4 or Dark Souls 3.

Nov 30, 2018
Absolutely

giphy.gif

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
U4 was well deserving of the 2016 GOTY.

Doom was great, but it really didn't change things up enough. I finished it, but started to get fatigued around 2/3 of the way though. I hope the new game has more varied environments and uses the new skills in interesting ways.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
2016 was not the strongest year tbh, my top 3 were Uncharted 4, Doom and DS3 and the latter didn't deserve Goty.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Guardian was more impactful. I dont remember anything about UC4 aside from pretty visuals.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
People still seem to hold it highly now so I guess so? still never played it and just jumped ahead to Lost Legacy which was enough for me.
I do think the anti-multiplayer brigade being deathly afraid of Overwatch getting votes was bloody dumb though.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked Dishonored 2 and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided more than any of the poll options. It was nice having Last Guardian after so many years, though. Uncharted 4 was a step in a better direction for the series in terms of more strategic combat even though the platforming was still super shallow.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I think so for sure. It was my favorite Uncharted game. Loved every second of it. Multiplayer wasn't as good as UC2, but it was better than UC3.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
I think one could make the argument that Overwatch and DS3 might've deserved the award over UC4 but UC4 is still a great game that is worthy of GOTY. Does the Blood&Wine DLC count ? That could have been another contender too.

That list for 2016 makes me realize how this gen only really blew up in 2017 with the exception of 2015 having Batman Arkham Knight, Bloodborne and Witcher 3.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Presentation wise, yeah sure. But tons of games were more enjoyable to play that year.

Jun 4, 2019
Boring as fuck. High visual fidelity and strong cutscenes (for the first two thirds) doesn't make up for boring gameplay. TLL had the same issue, which is probably why it landed like a wet fart.

SRO7

Nov 30, 2017
Btw you're missing The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine in the poll

That might have been my actual GOTY for that year

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
It's not the best of the series so no.
Uncharted 2 is still king

My 2016' GOTY is Dishonored 2.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Spectacularly well made game in everything it did. The attention to detail and writing in the banter between the characters blew me away, the plot was entertaining and gameplay was tight and polished. I prefer other games in the poll personally but Uncharted 4 was worthy of the praise it got.

Voted The Last Guardian though. One of the most unforgettable adventures in gaming.

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Not U4, the pacing was terrible, and it was worse than the two games before it. Of the list in the OP, I say The Last Guardian. That was an innovative and memorable experience, great story and great moments.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
Doom was real goty 2016 to me because it actually take risk and execute very well in every aspected possible. Visual, performance, gameplay, sound, level design etc. very fun game and still hold up.

Uncharted 4 while it also a very good game but i felt it played safe and not much have change in term of mechanic. Graphic however look stunning but that's about it.

Actually either Doom or Uncharted 4 is deserved but i am not sure why Overwatch got the reward for some reason.