entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I like this franchise within a franchise but I decided to do all the quest and I just burned out halfway through. The game is amazing, from what I played, and very high quality, but I think it needed some more tightness. Yeah, content is good, but sometimes, it's just too much.

The original had a lot of secrets but the pacing felt better. It's definitely better than Remake, but all Chadley stuff kills me. However, I must do it lol. I have that competionist gene.

What are your thoughts on the pacing and side stuff?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I finished it but was definitely a bit burnt out by the end as I did basically everything outside like all the mini game high scores

I do think they can do "less is more" next time. Having mini games all over the world in the capacity they did kinda takes away from the golden saucer after-all.

Not to mention there were 3 different "arena" areas when we still have the VR stuff as well. Could've probably tooled that a bit better too

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got the Platinum and even then I craved more because the battle system is that good, but I also know my limits and am not going to become one of those content creators that beats the hardest VR missions solo as Cait Sith or something.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Totally. I mean the game actually burned me out on gaming. I haven't touched another game since early April.

I 100%'d the first 3/4 areas then said screw it and just blitzed the rest.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
*looks at the game's clock*

no lol. Game is so good that I can't have enough.

If Part 3 is even better and more chockful of content, it will be the end of me.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even doing most of the side quests and had to take a break. Like you said, the game is pretty good and everything I've ever wanted from a next generation JRPG in terms of level design but it's just too long.

The fact that I don't particularly enjoy the combat probably plays a part as well.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
70 hours and loved it, didn't do all of the content but honestly the thing that made me not want to keep playing wasn't anything about the game itself but moreso that I just hate the dual sense. Absolutely can't wait for a PC release so I can play it again with a different controller. And I absolutely plan on doing as much as I can this time around too. Probably not any of the super tough battle challenges or that shit gambit minigame but everything else is still on the table.

Dunfish

Oct 29, 2017
Not at all, impressed from start to finish but am a massive fan of the original and its lore. Cannot wait to play through again on the PC version!

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not. I am playing it less because I'm just more busy atm, but I'm still working on the platinum and loving every moment.
Well, they did go a bit overboard with some of the minigames...

Last edited:

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
Definitely not. In fact, I wish I could have taken it slower but I just had to finish the story.

I am excited to replay it if I can whittle down my backlog a little further this year.

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
Not really, but I really want somerhing closer to Xenoblade in structure than a Ubisoft game for 3. Also really hoping theh can clean up some of the Unreal Engine jank that plagues it, though I seriously doubt it.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I personally didn't burn out, but I also took a forced 2 week break around halfway through which probably helped.

One thing I'm very curious about is why this game in particular instills such a compulsive need to do all the open world side content in comparison to other games. Like I would NEVER consider 100%-ing a FarCry game or Horizon, but I did do it here, and you see lots of people doing the same long past the point they enjoy the open world content.

To me this game is overflowing with content that is not really intended to be done by the average player, but it seems like most people are going out of their way to do the Chadley content, playing the mini-games, etc. Even when the game pretty clearly shows you the rewards you get for it, and at least in the case of World Intel the materia are generally not game changing.

For me personally the only thing I found didn't really add anything to the game was the World Intel. Love the mini-games, love the side content, love the MSQ and all the dungeons (except Cait Sith basketball screw that!). But the Chadley stuff is far too formulaic. It would have been way better for them to focus on a few regional gimmicks and instead fill the world with unique POI to set each region apart rather than feeling like they need to hit a quota for each region to have X amount of content available. The game was plenty stuffed as is so I think they should have cut down on this quantity for a smaller subset of quality content.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I completed 100% the Grasslands, Junon area, and Gongaga. I pretty much just beelined through Cosmo Canyon and Nibelheim

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I did everything except for the various VR/Saucer battles and didn't burn out. Loved the game. The open world/zone formula could use some tightening and less repetition but on the whole it was the Final Fantasy game I've been dreaming of since the end of the PS1 and just might be the best I've ever played.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I will admit that I'm giving the game a break for a bit after attempting the final side quests -- Can't Stop, Won't Stop and the Gilgamesh side event. Those two events are really bugging me with how challenging they are. But other than that, I totally devoured this game. I didn't feel fatigued by it, even after finishing the game.

I loved the scale and breadth of content of this game, and I hope the third game will have even more stuff to do.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I specifically burned out on Gongaga in particular. The rest of it I was mostly fine with, though I didn't bother with 100% completion. Just all the world intel and Gilgamesh.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Felt some burnout from the open world stuff and all the different combat missions (Chadley, Musclehead etc).

Really enjoyed all the side quests and mini games and stuff though. The more unique side content.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, honestly lol. That's kinda on me for going at it as hard as I did though. Ended things a little into Ch 12, I'll get to it when I have a bit of a break and more time.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
the last region I definitely felt some burn out, when I beat the game I instantly closed it and haven't even completed the gilgamesh story yet, I still have the game installed to go back and finish it but I don't know if I ever will

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely. I love the game unlike Remake and managed to finish it but I stopped doing 100% of side content when I hit Gongaga. Just waaay too much and the awful, maze like design of the map made it tedious.

You could axe roughly a third of all the side stuff and it would be a huge improvement

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Nope! I would have taken two more zones if they wanted to make them! It's about understanding who you are as a gamer and playing games that way. Don't do things you don't want to do in games, they're supposed to be fun for you.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Not really. I 100%'d every area as I played through the game and had a lovely time. Clocked in at around 140 hours or so. Only thing I didn't do was the final side quest because it was bugged when I finished the game. I will say that there was a brief moment near the end when another wave of side-quests opened up that I thought "maybe there's a bit too much content in here" but that content was always GOOD so I didn't mind it.

That's the key, I think. I found everything in the game fun. I loved the side quests hanging out with the cast. I loved the mini-games to break up the pace. I loved the flow of the open world stuff. And I loved the big cinematic action bits. Whole thing is paced really well with a perfect content balance. You're always switching between types of content (exploration tasks, mini-games, combat, linear story segments) that I never got bored.

It's a significantly longer experience than something like VII Remake or XVI but I think it's a much better one because the content is never boring, the side quests never feel like pointless filler, the dialogue is engaging, and everything just comes together really well. It's the happiest I've been with a Final Fantasy game in like over a decade, maybe more. Mixed feelings on the ending aside.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
No but I did take a break from it when Dragon's Dogma 2 came out which would have helped. I think I would have burnt out if I hadn't though.

KENMASTERS1

Apr 9, 2021
i think Chadley chiming in every fucking time and the UI notification marking off a completed task could be done away with, or at least in the background

we don't need to stop and wait for the animation to play every time. no thanks.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
No, every area having different travesel mechanics and minigames kept things super fresh despite being one of the longest games of the modern era. Game is a fucking gem

Tho I take breaks and play smaller games in-between rather than rushing to the end

LawfulEnder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A bit yeah. I've been meaning to go back and finish up the platinum but just haven't had the energy for a second play on Hard.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I stopped not far after the Dyne segment. The constant mini-games and shooting segments really bothered me, mainly because the game just ignored that I set my aiming to inverted. Just made a lot of it not fun and I quit.

ablaine

Lead Character Artist @ ArenaNet
Verified
Jul 29, 2022
228 hours after finishing hard mode run/platinum. No I didn't burn out -- I loved my time with it. I'm currently in a post-rebirth funk where I don't know what to play so I don't play anything. :/

fzburner

Jul 3, 2023
I 100%'d every chapter and region up to chapter 10 before I couldn't take it anymore and just quit. The mini games and the open world were just way too much, wish the game was as tight as Remake

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
Nope. There were a few minigames I didn't like that I played through anyway because I was close enough to doing everything, but I've loved my time with it. Have the superboss and the last two chapters to go and I wouldn't be surprised if I went for the platinum.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I think if they

Took the protorelic stuff and divorced it from Chadley -- make it a regional quest chain you start from a major town or sth.
Took the summons and made them things you organically discovered in optional dungeons
Cut down the remaining chadley stuff by like, half, and reworked some of the combat encounters just as extra VR shit

The game would be better for it.

But honestly no I didn't burn out. I don't play a ton of open world games so that almost certain helped. It also helps that the game pretty clearly marks the bespoke side content and the "filler" stuff pretty clearly and you're more or less free to choose how much you engage with it. The game isn't hard enough to require extensive grinding or doing everything.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I loved it from start to almost end (I'm just at the final boss lol).

When open worlds click for me, I want to do most everything, when they don't, I have no desire. I did most things in Rebirth and was happy to (my final clock will be around 117 hours—no desire to do platinum though).

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
I was 100%ing areas. Felt it coming. Ran through the rest and SO thankful I did. Game is amazing. Going to 100% each area over like months when it comes to PC.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Absolutely not, I was thoroughly engrossed from start to finish. Though I had the difficulty down to easy because I just could not grasp the combat system. Still, did all of the side content, though sadly will never get all of Johnny's treasures since I can't do brutal fights.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I finished it, but yes. I did the whole b-line the story after doing way more side content than I should have done because I don't wanna play this fuckin' game anymore

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Nah, I loved it. The final dungeon ran a bit too long for my tastes, but otherwise there was enough variety and meat to keep me engaged the whole way through.

Vaenyr

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 16, 2019
Definitely. The game focuses so much on the open world and on mini games, both things I dislike, and the pacing at points is horrendous which didn't help either. One of those games where the longer I played the more it affected my enjoyment of it. Certain sections of the game actively annoyed me and in hindsight I should've only focuses on the story.

The Quentulated Mox

Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 10, 2022
I admit I got sick pretty much the day the game launched so I had nothing but time to just binge the game for days on end, so of course I burned out on it under those circumstances, but even under better conditions it would have become pretty tiresome. So many of the later game sidequests I was just mashing through dialogue and not paying attention to anybody, and of course Chadley was insufferable from minute zero.

felt really weird what they chose to draw out, too. two fuck-awful tower defense minigames with multiple difficulties, a game-spanning questline about Chocobo Billy forgiving a human trafficker, etc., but when you get a boat that can explore an entire ocean, you get...4 minibosses

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
No, I'd like to play it again to achieve the platinum when I have more free time.

Though some mini games were a drag.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
yeah. the moment when you wrap up corel pt.2 open world, and are suddenly greeted with another open world in gongaga, is like, comically bad pacing. that's when I resolved to skip literally every open world and minigame and just main path it. the game didn't respect my time.