• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Wolverine makes the most sense. Him and Spiderman have been on nearly every team for a reason.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whats the difference between Aloy and Wolverine when they are both acting as faces of the console? Hell, if Nintendo had a Captain Marvel game I'm sure you'd see "Captain Marvel for Smash!" requests nonstop.

Thats because these big characters, whether original or licensed, become mascots with big budget exclusives.
A one off exclusive game of an established charachter for a different brand doesn't make it a mascot for an entire different brand/company.

A mascot represents a brand and is intertwined with the company in this case. Mario is a mascot. Same as Sonic. Alloy might become one if Sony wants to but Wolverwine right now is not. That would need more than just one exclusive game.
That's like saying James Bond was a mascot for Nintendo on the N64

mpak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 5, 2021
Even Spider-man is not a mascot for Playstation. Despite having several games there.

Usually mascots are the characters that originated on the platform.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of Spider-Man, Wolverine makes the most sense for a AAA Marvel single player game. He's the second best in terms of Marvel heroes. But him also being with Sony and Insomniac? Shocking af

Raigor

May 14, 2020
They see Sony published (PS Studios) game made by PlayStation studio (Insomniac) and Wolverine literally is no different than Aloy or Kratos.

???

People associate Wolverine to Marvel, just like Spider-Man.

Wolvering becoming a PS mascot because in 2025 they are releasing a new game while ignoring the 50+ years of Marvel comic is some weird shit.

The masses are already associating Wolverine to Marvel, regardless of Insomniac game.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
And that means little to the masses. They see Sony published (PS Studios) game made by PlayStation studio (Insomniac) and Wolverine literally is no different than Aloy or Kratos.

Sony doesn't own him, just like they don't own Spidey, but they are seen as PS Mascots

Nope, people know those are MARVEL characters not PS mascots.

Knowing that the games are exclusive to one platform doesn't make them automatically mascots for the platform.

Everybody knows Spidey, no one says it's the PS guy. Same for Wolverine.

However: huge get for Sony. And it is easier to have such deals when you are the market leader and the game you made before was the best sedlling superhero game ever (Spidey 1 sold over 20millions units)

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Wolverine is hardly a mascot for Sony. But I'm not surprised they were able to negotiate exclusive publishing rights.

Sony has a lot of clout in the industry with its global appeal, large user base, and a track record of making great games. There might be a clause for a PC release down the line but Sony and Disney stands to make lots of $$$.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Makes sense, Sony doesnt give a shit about Indies
2e84a988da32287128d1bf16baab43e2.jpg

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
not really a mascot, but its gonna be wild to see a big Sony banner with Aloy, Kratos and Wolvie. crazy times

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Mascot is a term I'd reserve for a character who I would immediately associate with a certain company:

SpongeBob - Nickelodeon
Sonic - Sega
Mario - Nintendo
Kool Aid Man - Kool Aid

Wolverine is a mascot for Marvel or X-Men. Featuring in an exclusive title made by Sony doesn't make Wolverine a Sony mascot.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Disney very much changed their view about IP licencing a while back, especially after the mess EA made with the Star Wars exclusive licence. They're more hands on about who gets what IP and far more willing to diversify that IP to trusted partners. Sony with Spiderman / Wolverine, EA with some more (this time decent) Star Wars games, Square Enix with Avengers and GotG, Microsoft with Indiana Jones (and probably many more unannounced Marvel / Star Wars games given the amount of new studios MS now have). It's all up for grabs.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I don't really think you understand the concept of a mascot. Did anyone think there would be a Wolverine exclusive on PS5? Probably not. An exclusive does not a mascot make. Just enjoy that your favorite company got what will inevitably be a great exclusive with appeal to the mass audience and stop trying to make it more than it is.

I don't have a favorite company lol. I understand the significance of PS Studio's AAA games though and the characters attached to them. The fact that Sony got Wolverine to be attached to one of those games is as mascot-like as the modern space of games gets.

Yeah, but Spider-Man is a different case. I think it is that simple until we see a lot of Wolverine exclusive stuff on Playstation, or Sony asserting more control over the character in the console space. We might not even be getting a sequel with this Wolverine game, and if we do, it's literally years out. So yeah maybe it could happen the same way as Spider-Man but my gut tells me no and it's really premature. If Sony + Marvel continue this relationship though, I think what's more likely to happen is Playstation is just seen as the place where you can play all the marvel games, and that's probably the point.

These things are typically multi-game deals. There is no way that Wolverine doesn't have a sequel already being planned lol.

You're taking your own interpretation of things and how you see it and just make a thread about it stating it as a fact and acting like it's something so spread that it's worth to be presented as such. You're not even presenting it as a hot take. "Should we consider Wolverine and Spider-Man kind of PS Mascots now?" would be a much better premise for the thread where you explain your take and then people can share their own.

Views are racking up fast for the Spider-Man game because Spider-Man is like probably one of the top3 most popular superhero in the world (if not THE one), in a world where superheroes are extremely popular. And it's the sequel to a beloved game that was very well-received.

People think of Marvel when they see Spider-Man. They think of X-Men when they think of Wolverine. Which makes them think of Marvel.

And you're saying that they do not think of PlayStation with these big budget games attached to them?

A one off exclusive game of an established charachter for a different brand doesn't make it a mascot for an entire different brand/company.

A mascot represents a brand and is intertwined with the company in this case. Mario is a mascot. Same as Sonic. Alloy might become one if Sony wants to but Wolverwine right now is not. That would need more than just one exclusive game.
That's like saying James Bond was a mascot for Nintendo on the N64

I think the difference here is the positioning. Sony's AAA games and the characters attached have become pretty prominent for the most part. The fact that Spider-Man and Wolverine are placed in the their productions positions them as PS Studios mascots, the same way their original characters do.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm. You do have me kind of wondering how much the association between spiderman and playstation changed due to the game's reception. The association was already there, but the game was really big and now he is like a quasi-mascot.

We'll really have to see how the wolverine game lands. If it can really make as big a splash as spiderman then we can talk.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a favorite company lol. I understand the significance of PS Studio's AAA games though and the characters attached to them. The fact that Sony got Wolverine to be attached to one of those games is as mascot-like as the modern space of games gets.

These things are typically multi-game deals. There is no way that Wolverine doesn't have a sequel already being planned lol.

And you're saying that they do not think of PlayStation with these big budget games attached to them?

I think the difference here is the positioning. Sony's AAA games and the characters attached have become pretty prominent for the most part. The fact that Spider-Man and Wolverine are placed in the their productions positions them as PS Studios mascots, the same way their original characters do.
Great 1st Party Games sell and they sell hardware on top of it. One of the reasons why the PS4 won and why Nintendo keeps being successful.
Wanting a piece of one of the hottest IPs in the world right now as a Publisher that has a Studio with knowledge of handling a super hero character makes all the sense in the world.

But to have a single game to come out with a char that is attached to X-Men/Marvel doesn't make it a representative of Sony nor PlayStation.
Heck even Nintendo got an exclusive Marvel game with Ultimate Alliance 3. Still doesn't makes the X-Men Nintendo mascots. Even on a platform, for a publisher whos exclusives have more significance to their success than any gamedev on this planet

Oct 27, 2017
In the 90s maybe. Kidding aside, I wouldn't call him a mascot, he's not really intrinsically linked with the company the way Spiderman is, but I will admit I'm kind of surprised that Marvel is letting Sony secure exclusive development rights to two of their most popular characters, it makes for an interesting potential future partnership.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
OP's like throwing everything and the kitchen sink to compare the Spider-man and Wolverine situations. The only reason Spider-man is associated with Sony is because Sony paid a lot of money to own the rights to Spider-man decades ago; which they continue to renew and hence why they keep making movies. Same as Fox did and why X-Men/mutants are not in the MCU movies and even some games like MvC Infinite.

So Disney has to renegotiate with them; unlike Wolverine which they got the rights back afyer buying Fox were they licensed it for the game only now and they have first dibs involving anything Spider-man.

Is why Spider-man is exclusive to many stuff (like the Avengers game); but not in other things (like MUA3).

So, nope. Wolverine is not a Sony mascot and Spider-man while associated with Sony; isn't either.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
This is just a thing Disney is doing now though. Like, Indiana Jones will be console exclusive to Xbox.
It could end being so but it was not announced as Console exclusive.

But I do agree with the sentiment that Disney is worried about making the best games that grow the brand versus making the widest reaching games. Spider-Man and Wolverine doing well on PlayStation just enhances what Disney is doing with movies, streaming and merchandise.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I think this is a case of Disney going "hey we made a crapton of money on this spider-man deal.. let's try another of the 1000 characters we own".
But I would say Aloy or Astro bot is much more of a mascot now than either spider-man or wolverine.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if he can be a skater in thps 😂 Technically I think this means we can assume the next insomniac licensed game will be Jango Fett

Last edited:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
"Logan" was already like Joel in the movie so I can't say I was too surprised, the Wolverine that a lot of people know in popular culture fits the tone of Playstation.

RavenK92

Nov 3, 2020
Of course yes, anyone who's watched Logan would know that Wolverine is the ultimate sad dad, and as such, him being a PS exclusive lead character was inevitable. (/s if not obvious)

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Great 1st Party Games sell and they sell hardware on top of it. One of the reasons why the PS4 won and why Nintendo keeps being successful.
Wanting a piece of one of the hottest IPs in the world right now as a Publisher that has a Studio with knowledge of handling a super hero character makes all the sense in the world.

But to have a single game to come out with a char that is attached to X-Men/Marvel doesn't make it a representative of Sony nor PlayStation.
Heck even Nintendo got an exclusive Marvel game with Ultimate Alliance 3. Still doesn't makes the X-Men Nintendo mascots. Even on a platform, for a publisher whos exclusives have more significance to their success than any gamedev on this planet

But MUA3 is just a sequel to some pretty average series from the PS3/360 days. Nintendo's focus on it was even less than a Pikmin 3 port lol.

Wolverine is pretty much the next big PlayStation franchise the same way Spider-Man was when it was announced. And since then, Sony has treated the character like it was one of their mascots even paying for exclusivity in the Avengers game.

I'd understand if Wolverine was made by some third party and they were just publishing it, but it is from the very same studio that is in charge of their Spider-Man games and was the biggest reveal of their annual showcase. How can it just be downplayed to a "single game" when these are multi-game deals for the usage of characters this big?

Dusk22

Dec 4, 2017
Denver
Wolverine isn't the face of Sony. It's a good exclusive deal and will bring sales to Playstation, but when you think of Wolverine you think of Marvel and Xmen.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
How do you feel about Indiana Jones being a Xbox mascot

I honestly don't know much about Indiana Jones as an IP, but if its a AAA action game like Uncharted and Tomb Raider then its great. The difference is that we have already seen what Insomniac an do with a superhero IP and know what to expect, the Indiana Jones game is really anyone's guess how it will end up.

Oct 30, 2017
Never really thought of it, or cared.

on another note, why wouldn't you give it to insomniac? I'm sure it's more than just throwing money around. The studio who made a high quality and successful spider man game probably had an idea for another game, Disney trusting the ability of the studio agreed. I'm sure it's not simply Disney being hey, someone make a wolverine game, and give to the highest bidder. They are concerned about the quality and use of their IPs I'm sure.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't call him a mascot for Playstation. Imagine if the Phoenix Suns decided to ditch the gorilla and make Michaelangelo their mascot. It doesn't make sense.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
But MUA3 is just a sequel to some pretty average series from the PS3/360 days. Nintendo's focus on it was even less than a Pikmin 3 port lol.

Wolverine is pretty much the next big PlayStation franchise the same way Spider-Man was when it was announced. And since then, Sony has treated the character like it was one of their mascots even paying for exclusivity in the Avengers game.

I'd understand if Wolverine was made by some third party and they were just publishing it, but it is from the very same studio that is in charge of their Spider-Man games and was the biggest reveal of their annual showcase. How can it just be downplayed to a "single game" when these are multi-game deals for the usage of characters this big?

Nah...Spiderman and wolverine are franchises without PlayStation. Their first party games aren't. Marvel is just lending characters.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Movies and tv shows as long as they're above 44 minutes
more valuable than videogame rights.So they will always get they videogame right exclusive in return for the film right contract with Marvel. Marvel would love to interchange rights.
According to Insomniac and Marvel Games, the deal between Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios has no bearing on the deal between SIE, Insomniac and Marvel Games. They were given a choice of superheroes and they chose Spider-Man.

Varjet

Oct 27, 2017
I've done no research on this, but I can assure you that the number of people who see Spider-Man and immediately think "Sony" is really small.

And they might all be on this forum.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know anyone who considers Spiderman a PS mascot or even "the face of", so why would that be the case for Wolverine? Especially more so when inevitably those games also end up on PC.

They're synonymous with Marvel. They're mascots for Marvel. At least I've never heard otherwise till this thread.