• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you finish?

• Yes

Votes: 1,044 71.1%
  • No

Votes: 338 23.0%
  • Still working on it

Votes: 86 5.9%

• Total voters
Apr 14, 2024
Yes. Genuinely hated it by the end. Played all the post- Demon's Souls games in order of release, and ER ended up being my least favourite by the end, behind Souls 3.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I just started a month ago, playing once/twice a week. Crazy good game, especially coming off of beating BB/DS1/2/3/DeS all in a row.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Platinum'd.
Finished it three times. Beat every boss, saw almost everything there is to see.

FromSoft games are made to be replayed. I do multiple runs with all Souls games.

Bloodborne almost a dozen complete playthroughs; helping friends etc...

Jan 20, 2024
Yes. Tried some of the souls games, never got into it. But the relative freedom in Elden Ring got me to see it through, at least for one of the endings.

But I was very thorough in my one and only playthrough so far, maybe a little too much so. Elden Ring's end game is basically just trying different builds and I couldn't be bothered with that.

BeefTengoku

Jul 9, 2019
The only Souls game I've finished, mostly because I like playing mages and letting you allocate flasks to MP made all the difference in the world.

Nov 29, 2018
It's the only one I haven't finished yet. I got to the final boss on my first run and, rather than bang my head against the wall, just swapped to a couple of new runs. I play them off and on and they're all nearly at the same spot now. One day, though.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Working on it, but may drop it. I'm getting frustrated by the open world nature of the game and the fact that I don't know where to go next. And haven't found a really useful guide that just focuses on the golden path.

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
It was my first souls game and yes I beat it. However I played on PC and used a mod to add full coop and played the entire game with two friends.

If I was playing solo I probably wouldn't have picked it up. Had a blast playing with friends though!

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
I'm not a souls player ( didn't play any dark souls games) but managed to finish Demon Souls Remake, Sekiro, Bloodborne (platinum) and Elden Ring ( all achievements except the different endings).

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I did, but it was a real struggle. I played it in two stints essentially, first giving up in Leyndell, returning months later to finish it off.

I enjoyed the first third of the game immensely but beyond that point it felt like the game had given up all of its gameplay secrets and just became a grind. For all of the weird rhetoric about it being an open world done right, it sure suffers from a lot of the same issues as games considered lesser. Masses of repeated content, terrible rewards for completing that content and for exploring, obtuse quest design which seems indicates the game is designed to be played with a guide.

And then there's the boss design. I don't understand how you go from Sekiro to this. The bosses in the latter half of the game are a complete mess. Fire Giant and Godskin Duo are two of the worst boss fights From Software have ever designed and they come one after the other. Even highlights like Radagon are ruined by what comes after.

It's really shaken my faith in From, honestly.

Tobli

Oct 30, 2017
I have a decent amount of experience with souls games. I was about 40 hours into Elden ring when I put the game on hold. Mainly because dealing with the creepy hands in Caria manor was annoying. I'll probably get back to it in a few weeks.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
I inhaled Elden Ring 100% in a week. Only other Souls I rolled credits on was Demons and Dark 1. (Sekiro got 100% on and is my favourite but thats not as Soulsy)

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
New Souls player here.

I'm in the camp that felt the game dragged on, which I think must be a valid criticism as I see it so often.

Start of the game is amazing. Really couldn't put the game down.

At some point though I realised the way the game systems work meant that almost every reward I got for doing optional dungeons and such was functionally useless unless I changed my build.

I really don't like how the game works in that regard. Ended up just sticking to a weapon and armour set and found the game became a bit repetitive and samey. Certainly feels that way when you encounter recoloured enemies.

Great game, but one that would have been stronger if it was maybe 30% shorter and had no filler.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
I played through it an equal number of times to how many endings there are, which is 6, if I recall. My first playthrough was very slow going. To be honest, I didn't really like the game that much thanks to the thing that always frustrates me in Souls games, bosses with multiple enemies. But, after I went back and did Journey 2, I really started to like the game a lot more. I could cut out the bosses I didn't need to fight since I didn't need to level up that much. I could just focus on the sidequests I needed to do to achieve the ending I was going for and doing that made me see a lot more of the game than I probably would have otherwise.

Journey 2 and further are where the game really shine compared to new game. It's very, very good regardless, but you can tell From Software really wanted people to play through multiple times and were seemingly quite confident that they would.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
It was my first time playing a Souls game and I gave up around the Mountaintops of the Giants area. I wasn't really enjoying myself at that stage, but everything up to that point I loved.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I'd say I've lightly 'dabbled' in souls games over the years, but rarely made it past the first or second bosses.
I got the plat in Elden Ring. It was my GOTY.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Yup, the last platinum trophy I got. Waiting for shadow of the erstree, however I am switching to the PC version for that ditching my PS5.

neonxaos

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, it was a struggle and I'm never doing it again. Fascinating world, very beautiful, but far too obtuse, janky and bloated for my taste.

Gong

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Last time I played, I finished the big, multi-armed boss (I can't remember its name) who had a big staff, and it was a pure fucker, but I did it! After that, for whatever reason, I've not gone back to it since. I've only ever completed Dark Souls, and I LOVED every single one of the countless hours I spent in that game, so maybe one day I'll go back and complete Elden Ring.

So I guess I'm in the "still working on it" category.