• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you finish the main quest?

• Yes

Votes: 1,009 50.5%
  • No

Votes: 768 38.4%
  • Haven't played it

Votes: 223 11.2%

• Total voters

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I love Nintendo games, and I love Zelda. I remember the hype for TotK was enormous, the review scores were great, sales were great, the game was really polished... But I never had the desire to finish it.

Maybe someday I'll pick up the game again, but after playing for several tens of hours I kinda feel like I have already seen everything new the game has to offer and started feeling mostly repetitive and very samey to BotW.

I thought I was alone on this, but after asking some friends it seems to me that's this is more common than I though, people liking the game at first but wearing out and never really finishing it.

What about you ERA? Did you finish it? Did you feel like it stretched way too long?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Fuck yeah.

It was like my game for the entire Spring-Summer season of 2023. Amazing. I'm still booting it up to collect treasures and STILL somehow missed like 40 sidequests even when I was being thorough.

Yogi.

Feb 3, 2023
Same as you - I put 50 hours into it and had a great time. I barely progressed the main story and I kinda just got burnt out on it? I did play BOTW for like 500 hours so I feel like I did myself a disservice there.

I hope to get around to it to at least mainline the story someday.

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
I loved it. I liked the itemization more in the first game - things like finding a thundering Knight claymore was amazing and diminished somewhat here by being replaced by creating your own weapons with merging them, which was fun but sometimes too silly for my tastes. But I still got some really awesome gear and had a blast exploring the huge world (under- and over)!

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, started falling off it pretty hard as soon as I had explored most of the sky stuff, dropped it maybe 20 hours in. The overworld and the depths were really boring especially coming from a fairly recent BOTW playthrough and after a bit it started to feel like work just beelining from shrine to shrine--which were a ton of fun--so I just stopped playing.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I played until I decided I wanted to see the ending.

If you feel yourself starting to burn out, just focus on the main story.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I did, but my overall playtime was less than half of BOTW. Enjoyed the game a lot but it's definitely time to move on from this game structure and overworld map.

N1corex

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 7, 2020
i had to force myself through the main story and did as many shrines as i needed. I would say I enjoyed the wind temple and once i went to the water temple it kinda fell off on how shit the temple itself was. fire temple was a nothing burger, lightning temple was alright, spirit temple was disjointed mess just like water temple.
the building aspect was a big turn off for me.

WildArms

Apr 30, 2022
Nope. I dunno. I kind of just... lost interest back then. I WILL go back and finish it (probably after being done with Eiyuden Chronicles, actually) as I have to beat that, Super Mario Wonder still and the Super Mario RPG Remake.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Sure did. I took a break, but returned to it to finish the job a few weeks later. Didn't bother with most of the side-conent though, so lots of stuff left to do if I want to. I hated th depths though. So boring. Overall it's a good game.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Finished it twice, did all shrines and lightroots once. I think it solves the replayability issue I felt BotW had, but neither of my playthroughs matched the experience of my first time with BotW.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Considering you can "finish" it pretty much whenever you want, saying it stretches on way too long is an odd take unless you're the type that feels compelled to do every single possible thing. Which really isn't the intent of BotW or TotK's design. It's dense with quests, collectibles, and shrines so that you always have the opportunity to find something, and can do enough things to get to a full experience and story completion state *without* having to come close to doing everything.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I bought it on launch day, played about 120 hours, got all the tears memories and then stopped playing.

I JUST hopped back in and finished it last week.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I beat two dungeons and then fell off. Great game, I'm just old and struggle with commiting to games.

Didn't beat BG3 either. Or the new Plague Tale.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Yep and I was compelled to do so much faster than BotW.

God damn what a game.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah. There was no way in hell I wasn't gonna finish the main story.

Also finished all the side quests, max-upgraded all the gear, did all the Addison signs, found all the caves and Bubbelgems, and just finished finding the last Korok about two days ago. Love that game.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Considering you can "finish" it pretty much whenever you want, saying it stretches on way too long is an odd take unless you're the type that feels compelled to do every single possible thing. Which really isn't the intent of BotW or TotK's design. It's dense with quests, collectibles, and shrines so that you always have the opportunity to find something, and can do enough things to get to a full experience and story completion state *without* having to come close to doing everything.
preach

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I don't get too pressed about people not hitting credits in BOTW. You can put it down whenever you feel satisfied and be confident you aren't missing much by skipping that final sequence

TOTK is a very different story!! Finish the fight!! Well worth your time!! You won't regret it!!

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I did, I loved it. I don't remember getting tired of it by the end, but I did feel like the final stretch was the weakest segment of the game.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
I got distracted and started playing other things. I'll go back to it eventually. It took me years to finish BotW too. There's just so much to do in those games.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Yep and even got the 100% meanwhile once I finished BotW I was done with it.
Korok hunting was fine but discovering all named locations gave me troubles.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I was engrossed for a month or so. Basically got 100 percent (All Shrines, map completion for every biome).

Played it blind. It was glorious.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Yeah, I finished the main story. I think the exploration stuff can get pretty dull. The caves, sky islands, and especially depths are all VERY VERY repetitive. And there's not enough new about the base world over BOTW to thrill me either. Everything wore out it's welcome halfway through. But I recommend doing the main story stuff. The dungeons and finale are all much better than BOTW's and just focusing on them (and the memories, which are of course required for the story to be worth anything again) is still a decent time. If you're burnt out, just blitz the memories and main story.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017

No.

Look, I spent about 200 hours in the game and wasn't ready for the ride to end, though ironically, me choosing to not finish the game when I did inevitably led to me dropping it entirely.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
100%, and am waiting to see if there's any kind of Switch 2 release for it before going back for a second play through one day (either there, or emulated for round two if not).

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. The end game stretch of TotK is probably the best end game stretch of any game since Snake Eater.

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Not yet. Still occasionally trudging along, but ugh... so huge, and 90% the same stuff as that other game that I already put 100+ hours into. I'm done with this Zelda formula after this.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the main quest after 200 hours. But first I did all the shrines, light roots, etc. Absolutely incredible game.

I'm currently absorbed by FF7 Rebirth but still occasionally pop into TotK to just walk around. There's always something new.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I checked my tweet from when I beat it and I posted I played over 140 hours.

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
hell yeah i did

i didn't do every single quest or max out my heart/stamina containers or even explore all of the depths but this game absolutely took over my life for about 3 weeks and i was completely invested all the way to the end.

sha1ashaska22

Sep 4, 2020
Just last week. Did all of the shrines, side adventures and most of the side quests first though.

I often need a break from games over 100 hours. I stopped playing from like August until February.