• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you finish the main quest?

• Yes

Votes: 1,009 50.5%
  • No

Votes: 768 38.4%
  • Haven't played it

Votes: 223 11.2%

• Total voters

art_vandelay

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still surprised how quickly I fell off of it given that Zelda games are usually my happy place and I loved BOTW. I was pumped for it. I enjoyed what I was playing for the first couple weeks and then one day I didn't play it and I haven't touched it since?

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of course. But I didn't complete everything like I did in BotW. There are WAY too many koroks and map minibosses. I had to draw the line somewhere, I did shrines, lightroots, bubbuls, sage's wills, quests, photos, and outfits (collecting, but not full upgrading).

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I stopped when you get to the Depths and have to put something together to get some sort of factory started or something. I think I screwed up what I'm supposed to do and didn't feel like trying to fix it. I feel like at this point I've largely seen what it's about. Maybe eventually I'll push forward again. For whatever reason, though, I've felt burned out on it a few times, whereas I didn't feel that with Breath of the Wild. I suppose the same overworld is a big part of that.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
The ending is honestly the best part of the whole game from both a gameplay and story perspective.

Like actually if you're burnt out on the open world part of the game just bumrush the ending. It's probably one of the best Ganon sections in any Zelda game.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
I bought it and haven't loaded it up yet. Not sure why, but no real pull to play it. I loved botw too.

My kids devoured botw and thoroughly beat it. They both fell off totk far faster than I expected for some reason.

I think it has to do with how many hours I put into botw and how totk seems like a more refined version of that game. Sort of have this feeling of 'more of the same' in a way.

Ex Lion Tamer

Oct 25, 2017
I got about 60 hours in before falling off, I can't remember why I stopped. I'll probably return to it at some point.

hasher

Oct 10, 2020
I played 40-50 hours, and like you, felt like I'd seen all of its tricks. At this point, the only thing that could get me to pick it up again would be a performance boost from the next Switch.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I did but I wish the underground wasn't a thing. I spent far too much time down there and burned a lot of my interest in it. The connecting cave between the town and the castle was cool though, but I don't remember if that counts as the underground.

Sky islands were a bit better, but I'd have also not missed them. In the end I felt botw was a better experience in general, but totk had a story that hooked me a lot more. I'd not mind them continuing the structure but in a new Hyrule.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
i bought the LE, and oled, and tons of exclusive merch (including one of those broken swords from japan)... and never opened it

put 200 hours into botw and never finished it, wasn't what i wanted from zelda and the build mechanic in this one really put me off

it still makes me sad

i hope i get to enjoy zelda again one day

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I beat BoTW the opening weekend it released and I beat ToTK the opening weekend it released too. I have opinions... and I haven't returned to ToTK since finishing it but I've replayed BoTW a fair few times.

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
I did not finish it.

I don't know how many hours I put into it, probably around 50, had finished the first four "main dungeons", got the four guardian spirits or whatever, put the game down one day and... just didn't want to play it again.

Sadly I feel this is happening again now with Elden Ring.

I think these big open world games that can take a long time to finish end up draining my will to play the game before I finish it.

Secret Bambino

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 21, 2021
No, I eventually just… stopped.

Which is shocking, since I loved BotW. I think I just got tired of playing it. Nothing in TotK was wowing me the same way BotW did.

Exploring the Depths was sooo boring to me.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
No 🫤

I have like a 120 hour game but got burnt out. Been a few months so I want to return to it soon.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, absolutely fantastic game. I still can't believe they got it to run on the Switch with all those systems running parallel in an open world. They also nailed the landing this time. It has one of the best finales in gaming, a huge improvement over BotW's lacklustre ending.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I didn't, and I ravenously consumed every scrap of Breath of the Wild.

I know saying "it felt like DLC" is looked down upon, but really, I just couldn't shake that vibe the entire time, no matter how hard I tried. Did I have fun? Yes, sometimes extremely so!

But it really felt like a layer of paint and some new mechanics over a fundamentally familiar experience. And what also stuck in my craw was how they didn't really leverage that significantly either: it's clear to the player that this is the same hyrule, some years later, but at times it is as if the entire nation was frozen in time until the day before TotK took place. And major developments go completely ignored or only cursorily acknowledged.

Now that kind of continuity has never been Nintendo's bag, but it's just another reason why using the same map again carried pitfalls.

Like, it felt very "gamey" in the way that something like Minecraft does, for lots of reasons. Even as I enjoyed my time with it, I felt also like the grasp of my interest was constantly struggling for something to hold onto. Eventually I just sorta slipped off entirely.

Oct 25, 2017
Dropped it after about 5 hours. I'm mostly down on BotW's formula and TotK did nothing to address the issues I had with that game. I found most of the new mechanics laborious and the performance/IQ was miserable so I didn't have the willpower to go too far beyond the tutorial island. I kinda figured that would be the case but I don't mind giving Nintendo my money so whatever.

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
Like Breath of the Wild before it, I became fatigued after 15 - 20 hours. Really have no desire to go back to it.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
Nope, got to a point and all motivation to continue collapsed. On top of finding the underworld an absolute slog.

I wish I felt some motivation to continue. BOTW is a top 3 all time for me, but TOTK while also incredible just hasn't hit me in the same way.

Don't know if I'll ever get to it, although upgraded BC on a Switch 2 would entice me. Knowing I could continue my save with way better running game, but with Nintendo I'm not the most optimistic.

St. Eam the 3rd

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 18, 2022
Devs didn't finish ToTk too tho…Where are my gold variants and my master mode, BOTW+dlc was so much more enjoyable of base botw for me.
I finished and still Boot it up to complete it, 200+ h in. GOtY 2024 with BG3 for me but sad it did not get BOTW treatment:)

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I definitely recommend finishing the main story. Even if the normal gameplay starts to feels samey, the final dungeon and endgame sequence is pretty memorable.

Apr 20, 2022
Yes. BOTW and TOTK spoiled so many other games for me its insane. That post-game depression hit hard.
Same. Playing OW or large scale advture games don't feel the same anymore because of the 2 Zeldas. I played Horizon zero dawn first and thought it was a great OW but after playing BOTW a year later I had a hard time returning to HZD because it felt so restrictive relatively lacked what BOTW did with ease like Aloy being unable to climb over a wall almost as tall her. Even Elden Ring which was fun to explore was devoid of life and environmental interaction with the world (unless you count wading through rot swamps as fun interaction lol).

TOTK left everything in the dust, the exploration and physics are simply unavailable in every other game. Since TOTK I played games like Tales of Arise, Horizon FW, Far cry 5, Death stranding etc on PS4/PS5 and they all feel like they play a generation behind TOTK despite being on switch.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I had a much better time overall compared to BotW.

Still not quite my cup of tea, but I really like the underworld parts and the dungeons.

goflyakite

Jul 21, 2023
No; I got bored 20-30 hours into it or something, which to be fair is further than BotW lasted for me.

HyPeR92

Feb 4, 2019
Nope I think I tried it for around 7 hours before i dropped it..
I just cant give me that with these shoddy framerates, I think especially Kakariko was the point were it was enough for me..
Also think the gameplay just isn't mine.. I am not the type who wants to go to the underworld for hours and for me it seemed like there is basically nothing..

Maybe I will try it again if we get some kind of patch with Switch 2..
This is the second game I stopped playing on Switch after SMT5 .. that ran shoddy as well starting from world 3 or so.. thanksfully there seems to be a similar version coming to Steam this year.. might try this one...
I think this is more of a Switch problem but from Nintendo I expect better after all I didn't have such problems with games like Xenoblade (all three of them).
Playing on an OLED TV this doesnt make it better..

Oct 27, 2017
im like 5 temples in i played it the first 3 weeks like probably 80+ hours in did alot of exploring. The underworld was boring and I just havent been back I will finish it someday.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
The beginning was magical and it was nice to be back but at one point I was fed up by the game being too gamey and too filled with stuff compared to BOTW so I just rushed the story and quests to be as powerful as possible for the final boss and got to the end after 50 hours.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Didn't finish Breath of the Wild either. Just kinda fell off both games pretty hard like right after finishing all of the "dungeons" and didn't really feel like defeating Ganon for whatever reason.

The best part about those games was the sandbox. The combat was meh, so maybe I didn't really care about completing another mediocre boss fight just to see the credits.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
Nope, finished 3/4 dungeons and some 60 shrines plus a good chunk of the depths, but then I got a bit burned out. I love the game, but inventory management in particular felt like a chore when you have to linearly scroll through a list of 100+ items all the time. I wish it had been organized as a tree instead.

I also didn't finish BOTW; did all the divine beasts, around 80 shrines and 100 hours, but just never got around to Ganon.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Played it on and off for ten months lol. I would be super into it, filled with wonder at the world, then burn out and take a break.

Was a good way to play it, glad I didn't force through the burnout just to see the ending quickly. Absolutely loved the (long) ride.

Slythe

Oct 26, 2017
I crapped out after two dungeons and exploring a good amount of the underground. This game bums me out. BOTW was my new GOAT and this game simultaneously made me feel forever burnt out on that rendition of hyrule and it also failed to live up to the wonder and surprise that BOTW brought around every corner. Just really did not do it for me.

It's objectively a really well made game but it didn't differentiate itself enough from BOTW to feel worth another 100+ hours, and simultaneously kind of obscured BOTWs legacy which I really resent. Wish they would've gone a different direction.

ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
Nope. Literally only got the final boss to go but the getting to them is so hard and I can't be bothered to grind out for enough potions etc to survive it.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Gave it 50 hours. Tapped out in the middle of the water temple (2nd Temple). I really tried, even restarted. Loved BotW, but I wasn't having fun with this outside a few bright spots.

JSRF

"This guy are sick"
Aug 23, 2023
I got to what I think was the end but was kind of confused as to where to go and dropped it and never came back. I will jump back in eventually but I've been playing other games and enjoying them since.

I spent way too much time exploring the underground just collecting resources and I definitely should have finished the game in the amount of time that I played it.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Have yet to play it. Held out hope that there would be future DLC with a MASTER mode like in BotW, which was my preferred play experience...but since that didn't happen, I just didn't bother. (I felt BotW was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too easy without that mode, even if imperfect)

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
Really curious about this, would you mind elaborating?

How did you feel about BotW's ending and final boss?
Sure - I'll spoiler tag it just in case.

I didn't like the depths generally and hated having to stop and gather materials just to get to the boss. Then, the Ganon sword fight felt really deflating - like, you see how easily he defeats everyone throughout the game and all you do is kinda jump around and whack him with a sword a few times. I never felt like I was a great hero, just that he wasn't that strong. Finally, when he turns into a flying dragon, trying to float to hit the weak points was aggravating and unresponsive - I disliked it in the previous air temple boss fight and hated it fighting dragon Ganon. Apologies if I'm misremembering some parts of it, I haven't played in awhile. I went into ToTK loving it and gradually soured on it

I thought BotW's ending was o.k. It was anticlimactic but I liked going through the castle. If it helps, my favorite Zelda ending was Twilight Princess.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
No, which is insane for me with a Zelda game. I finished two dungeons and haven't gone back. Replayed every game in the series a ton, but I can't even finish TotK. I don't like the core gameplay loop, and the world doesn't grab me anywhere close to how BotW grabbed me. The changes to the land were nowhere near substantial enough for a sequel, the "sky" was so barebones and disappointing. Just in general a really disappointing sequel for me.

For reference BotW is my favorite game of all time

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
No. I quit after the first big boss in the snow area. The game leaned harder into the parts of BotW that I didn't like and I had no desire to play more.