• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you finish the main quest?

• Yes

Votes: 1,009 50.5%
  • No

Votes: 768 38.4%
  • Haven't played it

Votes: 223 11.2%

• Total voters

Rigbones

Oct 25, 2017
No, I loved BotW, but my god is TotK so insanely samey. While playing I felt that I had already done everything and been everywhere before. No sense of exploration or discovery. The Great Sky island, first trip to the depths, and first cave were all super hype for me, but then I realized that nothing new happens outside of the first experiences with these. Only one new small town, and dungeons were not expanded upon.

I definitely appreciate what the devs managed to do with ultrahand and fuse, it's honestly insane how capable and polished those systems are. But for me, it's not worth the trade-off of having no new map to explore for what will be 12+ years.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
Played 200 hrs of it, saw the ending, did all the shrines and found all the roots.

Loved the game- not as much as I love BOTW but easily in my top 5 of all time.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
GOAT, all the shrines and side adventures done, too many side quests tho

I never did all the shrines in BotW but for some reason I did it in TotK, I think because it was easier to find them thanks to the lightroots?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I've played it something like 130 hours according to my profile, but I never finished it. It's been a while since I've played it and I have ZERO motivation in ever going back to it.

It was alright. Just not what I wanted, I guess.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I liked Breath of the Wild but nothing about the second game really made me want to pay the $90CDN it was (and is) going for.

Maybe once it gets a Switch 2 port of something, but I dunno. Just have no real desire at the moment.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I beat it and spent even more time in the post-game exploring shrines. It was a great game and my 2023 goty!

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
No, but I also took over a year to finish BOTW and that's one of my favorite games ever. Taking my sweet time with it

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Yeah I finished it, and the final sequence and final boss is the best in the entire series so I definitely recommend it.

The saminess from BotW definitely burnt me out on side content though, I didn't finish all the shrines and side quests here like I did there.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
I tried at least 3 times to start a proper run, but ended up getting lost or losing interest after getting a horse.

On the 4th run I played a lot more and completed a good chunk of the game, but still didn't finish.
Something about the world being so big, even with all the traversal mechanics made it too disjointed for me.

There were a lot of things i just lost interest in engaging with.
The cooking seemed fun but turned into a chore.
The weapons breaking constantly turned excitement about an upgrade, into apathy.

It just didn't click.

Edit:
Oh damn, I was talking about the first one lol, not TOTK.
Ops

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Nah i dropped it after 15 hours of playing around.

I finished BOTW and after some time TOTK felt like it didn't really offer me anything that BOTW didn't already provide.

Also i couldn't be arsed to invest another 200 hours into a game with that shitty durability system.

Quint

Sep 13, 2021
Yup! Put about 180+ hours into it, and its probably the best game I've ever played. The end sequence is beautifully done, and might be the best final act of a Zelda. I recently started popping back into Hyrule to finish up some side quests (wells, bubblefrogs, etc.) and fill out the depths. The world and Link's abilities are just brilliantly designed and work together seamlessly, I can't get enough.

HemoGoblin

Nov 3, 2017
I played like 50 hours and was getting a bit tired of it. So I decided to shelve it and come back. Zelda games rarely come out so I want to appreciate while I can. I just don't have the attention span for marathoning a game much beyond that

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
It released too close to Street Fighter 6 so I didn't buy it at launch. Got it as a gift last Christmas and made a start on it but only for an hour or so.

It seems incredible but I don't think I'll find the time to play it anytime soon.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Of course. The ending is one of the best Zelda endings ever!

I only played it for around 100 hours though, didn't finish everything. Same as with BotW really, I finished that one in 80 hours, and that was back in 2017.
My impression is that those who got burned out on TotK are those who played BotW for hundreds of hours, and even... replayed it.

For me, the game was just as enjoyable as BotW, even though I fully agree with the criticism that the sense of exploration was way less since it was the same map again.. A mistake in my opinion!

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, though only recently. Took a bit of a longish break after the last temple for...well not sure why.

Great ending.

Finished all the shrines and lightroots after beating the main quest, as well as all the 'side adventures'. Only have done like half the sidequests, though. Some of those are pretty well hidden and the fact they typically super interesting hurts them some for me.

I'd give TotK the nod for the story, which while it also relied on flashbacks of sorts like BotW they felt more tied into the 'present' in the game. The expansion of mechanics was pretty awesome and can't hate on the building. However since it built on top of BotW it ultimately felt less 'fresh' and less novel, even with the building mechanics. The Depths were pretty amazing at times but once the initial coolness wore off and you a good chunk explored the lack of distinct landmarks or a village or something made it feel big an empty. Sky had a similar feeling. I feel like one or the other should have been fleshed out more extensively and the other pared back and kept limited.

I'd give BotW the nod for being the game that was more revelatory. It was the first game in I don't know how many years that I felt like a kid again in, like gaming could really do new and novel things. The world felt more exciting as it was. It was less populated but not having all the crazy machines to whip around the map and the other map layers made it feel more like a physical, present world you had to navigate. The 'After the after the end' aspect gave it both a danger and a sadness/loneliness that was uncommon.

For a 1-2 punch, BotW and TotK may beat OoT + MM for me, by a hair.

Wulava

Jul 18, 2022
Still working on it. I got burnt out and stopped playing for months after I finished the Wind Temple. Playing it again alongside FF7R.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
After finishing two dungeons and exploring a good amount, I lost interest. It's too much and just too similar to BOTW.

Vlad

Oct 25, 2017
Think I'm definitely in the minority where I absolutely love Breath of the Wild one of my favorite games ever. Tears of the Kingdom never really clicked and I finally called it quits on a quest that I assume is right before the end because it was just too tedious and frustrating. Wanted to like it so so bad, but just wasn't it for me. Looking forward to another Breath of the Wild replay soon though

I find Breath of the Wild refreshing and streamlined and Tears of the Kingdom cluttered and over complicated.

No, I loved BotW, but my god is TotK so insanely samey. While playing I felt that I had already done everything and been everywhere before. No sense of exploration or discovery. The Great Sky island, first trip to the depths, and first cave were all super hype for me, but then I realized that nothing new happens outside of the first experiences with these. Only one new small town, and dungeons were not expanded upon.

I definitely appreciate what the devs managed to do with ultrahand and fuse, it's honestly insane how capable and polished those systems are. But for me, it's not worth the trade-off of having no new map to explore for what will be 12+ years.

I didn't think Breath of the Wild was THAT good, and the fact that TotK is pretty much 90% the same content means that yeah, I finished TotK, but only because I was hoping that I'd actually end up enjoying it by the end, which I didn't.

I feel that both games make absolutely amazing first impressions, but have a really hard time actually following up on it.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I finished it, 200 hour playthrough! I had the time of my life~ ♡ I think it's a bit of a shame not to finish the story, it's really epic & satisfying at the end.

I love TOTK so much, one of the greatest games I've ever played. :)

Vaenyr

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 16, 2019
Of course I did, Zelda is my favorite franchise. Unfortunately it solidified my dislike for the open world games. BOTW is a much better game in almost all metrics for me and neither of them are in my top 10 Zelda games.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I wanted to like it but bounced off kinda hard honestly.

I prefer the OoT/TP formula for my Zelda games

Pixelpusher

Mar 25, 2022
Yes, and it was amazing. I know people said it was like BotW, but since I hadn't play BotW in years I found TotK reuse of the map really enjoyable.

hsojlightfoot

AVALANCHE
Apr 6, 2020
Nope. I played for 50/60 hours with one temple done, lol

And just stopped playing. Maybe one day I'll get back to it.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I did. I got all shrines and all light roots, but not all caves. Great game, 10/10, no notes. Well, maybe some notes on the writing for the main story.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I defeated the wind dungeon boss and then dropped it. I thought it was better than BotW (which I really disliked), but most of the time, I was thinking "This is fine, but if I'm going to spend so much time on this kind of game, I'd rather just replay Elden Ring." So I did that instead.

dcchambers

Jan 28, 2020
No, but I'm still playing in bursts here and there and plan on finishing it eventually.

It took me years to beat BotW, despite that I still consider it one of the greatest games I've ever played. Same with TotK.

I just get bored with games really quickly.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Yes. 300+ hours, all shrines, all light roots. Liked it much more than BotW. I was far more compelled to explore and finish it.

OP you're missing out on a great fucking ending sequence. I promise it's worth it.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
Took me over a year and like 300+ hours. Did pretty much everything except all Koroks. I loved it but I feel like I want the next mainline Zelda to be smaller tbh.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
I finished it but I didn't do half of the side quests.
Games are just too big now. For me after 3 weeks for any game I start to burn out, and I slowly lose interest afterwards.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I'm still doing working on it.

My son and I usually play a couple hours or so a week. We're still exploring, doing quests, finding shrines, etc etc.
We could probably end the game at any time now that you know who has shown his face, but there's still so much to do.

I don't think we'll do every possible thing, but because we've been exploring region by region, combing over each area well but not trying to be too perfect about anything, we're still discovering new things all the time.

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah but with a break around 40% of the game, but complete the rest.
That was really great.