If you got 2nd/final dose, did you get moderate/severe side effects?

• Yes

Votes: 978 54.1%
  • No

Votes: 829 45.9%

• Total voters

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For science. Please vote only if you've gotten a 2nd dose or the one shot J&J.

Per CDC

Possible Side Effects
Updated Mar. 16, 2021

COVID-19 vaccination will help protect you from getting COVID-19. You may have some side effects, which are normal signs that your body is building protection. These side effects may affect your ability to do daily activities, but they should go away in a few days. Some people have no side effects.
Common side effects
On the arm where you got the shot:

• Pain
  • Redness
  • Swelling
Throughout the rest of your body:

• Tiredness
  • Headache
  • Muscle pain
  • Chills
  • Fever
  • Nausea

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Was worse for the first dose. Second was a headache for a day and nothing else.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yes. I got my second Pfizer shot on Saturday - and felt fine for about ten hours. That night I had chills, a fever, and body aches which continued into the next day.

Woke up this morning, and I'm fully back to 100%.

My advice would be to either schedule your second shot for a Friday or Saturday (if you have the option), or take the following day off work.

Mod Edit: Removed Questionable Medical Advice

Last edited by a moderator:

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
My wife had chills and some body ache for 2 days after the second dose of Phizer but nothing but a sore arm after the first shot.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
Nope just sore arm thankfully.

The first shot ingot a slight headache but that's probably because I was waiting for so long to get it

brjuntinaar

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Damn this sounds crappy. I'm getting vaccinated this Friday, and I don't want to have to go through this. But on the other hand, the relief of getting the vaccine will be huge, so I guess I will continue with my reservation.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Not me, but my wife said her 2nd Pfizer shot was definitely worse.

I get my 2nd Pfizer dose this Saturday, so I guess I'll find out for myself soon enough.

StillEdge

Oct 29, 2017
Got my second shot scheduled in an hour or so. Got work tonight also. Should be interesting. 😊

itsrealfood

Oct 25, 2017
Had some pretty intense arm pain with both Pfizers but other than that, it was pretty mellow both times. Anyone I know who received Moderna got hit hard after dose two though.

Last edited:

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My arm was sore both time, but I think it was a bit more sore after the second shot and I did feel a bit under the weather (low energy, had a headache) the morning after the shot. That said it wasn't so bad that I'd call them anything over mild regardless. Like it was a situation where I was glad it was a weekend and I didn't have to work, but if it wasn't I'd definitely be able to manage working if I had to

got moderna by the way

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
After the first shot, the first 24 hours my body was pretty sore, and I was tired the whole day. Will update once I get my second shot. :)

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Should've included more options like 1st/2nd does and which vaccine it was too.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah I did. Had Pfizer and the arm soreness was more intense than the first dose. But it also felt like it went away sooner. Also got chills the night of the 2nd dose, but never had a fever. The next day I just felt out of it and was in bed most of the day. By the evening, I felt better again. And so far, nothing else. 2nd dose was this past Thursday morning.

Oct 31, 2017
No. First Pfizer shot, I my arm was quite sore for a few days. Second shot, no sore arm, no other effects whatsoever. For the second shot the technician had me let my arm hang limply, straight down, instead of propping it on my lap like I did the first time. Maybe because my muscles weren't flexed that helped?

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, I had a small fever but tylenol fixed it right away.

Edit: Had Pfizer

Last edited:

soda mixer

Jul 4, 2018
I got the Pfizer and luckily didn't experience any side effects either dose beyond very mild arm tenderness.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
My wife got her 2nd moderna shot yesterday and is currently layed out. Hopefully it'll pass by the end of the day. I get my second pfizer shot this week so we shall see.

Ragarra

Oct 25, 2017
Had moderna and about 12 hours after the second shot had chills, body aches, fever. Was in bed for about 24 hours then perfectly fine.

I have heard that men and healthier people have a more severe reaction for whatever you think about internet rumors.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
No. First Pfizer shot, I my arm was quite sore for a few days. Second shot, no sore arm, no other effects whatsoever. For the second shot the technician had me let my arm hang limply, straight down, instead of propping it on my lap like I did the first time. Maybe because my muscles weren't flexed that helped?
Yeah, even when I got my flu shot last year, they recommended relaxing as much as you could.

Got conflicting recommendations regarding which arm to get it in (dominant vs non-dominant). I think that they ultimately agreed on the result for both cases, but had different opinions on what they actually wanted.

Those that said dominant wanted to work it out faster and not have that soreness as long.
Those that said non-dominant just wanted to avoid the discomfort even if it meant it lasted longer overall.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
2nd shot, Pfizer had Full body aches, fever up to 103, pulse ox in the 80's, waves of nausea, and trouble breathing. Have only known 1 other person to have the same reaction as me.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Yes. I got my second Pfizer shot on Saturday - and felt fine for about ten hours. That night I had chills, a fever, and body aches which continued into the next day.

Woke up this morning, and I'm fully back to 100%.

My advice would be to either schedule your second shot for a Friday or Saturday (if you have the option), or take the following day off work. Additionally, get some extra strength Tylenol & Motrin, and take two of each every couple of hours. That helped temper most of my symptoms.
My second dose is Wednesday. Took Thurs off and we have Friday off already.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Oh, I haven't gotten mine, but my wife did (Pfizer). I couldn't tell any real difference with her, but she has a tendency to have "sleepy" days even when healthy, so maybe it was the vaccine maybe it was just one of those days.

Wasn't any worse than tired though for sure.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't making me anxious about my second dose this week, nope! /sarcasm
Getting more intense side effects on the second dose is a sign that it's actually working properly. The side effects are a direct result of your immune system learning to fight the disease. It might suck a bit for a day or so if you're unlucky (personally I felt largely better beyond the sore arm by the afternoon of the next day, and even in the morning of that day I didn't feel that bad)

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
First Moderna kicked my ass for the first like... 36 hours? Was tired the whole weekend and I got it late Thursday. Legit felt like when I actually had it in October. Might take a day off work when it's time for my second mid April.

Apr 27, 2020
12 hrs after my J&J shot It felt like I was going to die tbh. I got one of the worst headaches I've ever experienced, which lasted 2 days. A fever appeared that night and lasted until the next day, I believe I had a 102 temp. The "Chills" was the final symptom.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
bro i think u had covid

Maybe haha. The only symptom I didn't have was loss of taste and smell. I freaked the fuck out for sure, especially with that fever spike and pulse ox drop.My work gave me time off since they thought there was a chance I could have caught COVID prior to or during the shot process?

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Boyfriend got a very intense fever, chills, aches the day after his second Moderna shot. It only lasted for about 16 hours or so (he also had COVID prior to receiving the second shot).

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Getting more intense side effects on the second dose is a sign that it's actually working properly. The side effects are a direct result of your immune system learning to fight the disease. It might suck a bit for a day or so if you're unlucky (personally I felt largely better beyond the sore arm by the afternoon of the next day, and even in the morning of that day I didn't feel that bad)
Exactly.

A key takeaway from all this is that your reaction to the vaccine is largely identical to the actual coronavirus. If you have a bad reaction to the vaccine, it means you'd have probably had a bad reaction to the virus. The key difference between the vaccine and the virus though is that the virus will continue to replicate in your cells for a long time while the mRNA in your system will quickly break down and cannot replicate beyond that.

Oct 25, 2017
I have not had the 2nd yet but my mom has. She had barely a reaction both times. Second dose she said she might have been a little extra sleepy that night and that was it. Hoping my second is as mild.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Pfizer vaccine. Was warmed abkut possibly having worse side effectd from the 2nd shot when receiving it, but nothing. My arm actually hurt for less time after the second shot than the first. I got my 2nd shot about 1 month after the first shot.

Svartsjal

Jul 30, 2018
Voted No, but did have some side effects. Got the J&J Friday morning, was fine til about 12 hours later when started feeling tired. Passed out til morning and had tenderness in my body and still tired, started to wear off in the evening. So just a little soreness at the injection site, then tenderness and fatigue for a little less than 24 hours. I'd call it mild side effects rather than moderate.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Moderna Shot #1:
giphy.gif

Moderna Shot #2:
source.gif

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah I was in bed all weekend with a fever and chills, just glad to have it done though. Feeling much better now

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I don't know how true it is, but it seems like people who had Covid at some point in the past tend to have a more severe first dose than second, but people who hadn't have a more severe second dose than first. I haven't had either vaccine dose yet though so I don't know from personal experience.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I got the moderna vaccine.

First vax was basically nothing. Minor arm pain similar to getting a flu shot. I had some very light nausea later that night that I honestly wouldn't have even thought about had I not gotten the vaccine.

Got my second dose last Wednesday, and I was pretty wiped on Thursday. Felt nothing until about 8am, so like 18 hours after the shot. Not terrible... y'know, like mild flu symptoms, 100 degree fever, general blah all day, some gastrointestinal distress (which isn't uncommon for me anyway). I took dayquil and ibuprofen and it handled it but I still felt generally a little sick. When the dayquil wore off at like 5PM, I didn't want to take more till going to bed, and for those 3 hours I felt pretty rough. Woke up at about midnight, 34ish hours after the vaccine, and had completely sweat through my night clothes, fever broke, and I was fine. Felt 100% fine on Friday, 36 hours after getting the vax.

Friend of mine had it similar to me, got his second dose on Friday, felt blah on Saturday, was fine by Sunday.

Meanwhile my wife got her 2nd Pfizer vax yesterday at 5PM and has basically been symptom free all day. She actually felt a little shitty when she got her first shot... But what's interesting is she has long suspected she got COVID last February (2020). We don't really know but she was wiped out with a cold for about 3-5 days, and symptoms lasted longer. So it's kind of interesting because people who did have COVID already have reportedly had slightly harsher symptoms with the first vaccination, which makes sense... Your body is responding to that protein again.

Moderna Shot #1:
giphy.gif

Moderna Shot #2:
source.gif

Yep.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how true it is, but it seems like people who had Covid at some point in the past tend to have a more severe first dose than second, but people who hadn't have a more severe second dose than first. I haven't had either vaccine dose yet though so I don't know from personal experience.
The response is a result of your immune system fighting the vaccine, so yeah, people who have had Covid tend to have first doses more comparable to other people's second because having actually had Covid basically acted like a first dose in the first place. My sister who had covid and got the vaccine had this experience too, but it's a real general trend that has important ramifications about how actually getting covid builds immunity

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
I'm nervous of getting my second Moderna shot since I'm supposed to fly the day after. It would suck if I was deemed ineligible to fly because I had a fever from the vaccine.