• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I think my mom mostly did it well-done because she believed my sister and I preferred it that way. One of my first experiences with red meat was Filet Mignon and I complained about it being too chewy because it wasn't done or something.

Now, I did break the curse. Medium Rare is where it's at, though when I cook steaks I suck ass at them and always end up at well done. Not hockey puck well done, but well done for sure.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
We were not a well done family but steak was still good when it was accidentally well done. There's a difference between well done and bone dry.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yep, always remembered as a kid wondering why people seemed to regard Steak so highly, the Steak I knew was tough and I had to douse it in ketchup or BBQ sauce to get it down.

As a teenager when I became interested in cooking myself I started cooking my Steaks properly and broke the curse, also ended up converting my mom so I lifted the curse from my whole family lol.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
We were well done with everything. My parents would grill then put the meat in the oven to finish it off and ensure everything was fully cooked. When they did steaks in the oven, they would set the oven to broil and char the fuck out of them till they were well done. A1 steak sauce was a staple in the house to attempt to bring these steaks back to life or at least provide some sort of lube to get it down your throat.

I broke that curse when I started cooking for myself and ordering my own steak when dining. I had to educate my kids it's not blood when they see it cooked medium - rare and they are all now true believers that dislike well done steak.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Grew up with well done smothered in A1. Always complained to my parents that the steak was too chewey and they just said that's how steak is. As soon as I was old enough to venture out broke that curse in a heart beat. Medium rare all day unless it's a really good steak place then it's rare.

Skydog

Oct 27, 2017
My parents have been vegetarian/vegan since way before my time. Mom would still cook meat for us cause me and my brother could be picky little fuckers and it was the 90's, with hardly the wealth of options readily available today. Rarely steak though, but you bet it was well done when served, just like we asked. Amazing texture. Eventually settled for medium or medium well if the cut was sketchy.

I did eventually break the curse, yes, and stopped eating meat entirely.

Oct 25, 2017
Both my wife and I grew up in "well done" homes. Not sure what changed for her, but for me I remember going to a neighbor's bbq as a teenager and the neighbor giving me a medium rare steak. It obviously tasted better than any steak I had before so from that moment on I requested it that way. My parents and brother still get theirs well done, though and we make fun of them for it.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
The only steaks I had as a kid were the boxed frozen kind, slathered in a1 and broiled.

I think a friend saw me making one that way and nearly slapped me.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
My dad would leave the steak on the grill and cut into it with a knife to check that every amount of pink was gone before taking it off the grill.

He thought pink steak would make you sick.

My young jaws literally couldn't chew it

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
My parents cooked steaks medium/rare, but as a kid I got pretty sick after eating a steak like that, so for a long time I would only eat them well done so the "blood" wasn't there.

Honestly, it lasted long enough that I learned how to cook steaks myself to be well done and not crazy dry... but I do eat Medium now.

Welkins

Apr 7, 2021
My mom always cooked steaks well done so I was forced to. At restaurants tho I went medium rare.

When I learned to cook in my 20s I said hell nah we going medium rare. So she ate it and came to a revelation. Then she went to restaurants and got medium rare steaks too and apologized to me for always cooking them well done. So I broke the curse! My siblings don't care. Food is food to them. Me too but I have to draw lines somewhere.

Paladyn

Mar 18, 2024
Parents were raised aise by depression era parents. No money, rotten and bad cuts of meat. They had no choice. We had well done steaks for similar reasons.

I prefer medium-medium well. Anything rare makes me want to vomit.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
My mom overcooked everything on purpose (pork, fish, beef, everything), it's how they did it in the PI out in the villages, she says. Thankfully, we ate lot of chicken thighs and pork shoulder, which can handle that. And alot of soup for the lean cuts of chicken/pork and fish. But when she cooked lean pork /chicken or beef in non soup form, watch out now, haha. Mind you, this all still tasted good. When I finally tasted salmon barely cooked, so moist and flavorful fish flavor, I was like mom, why you drying out this salmon! She doesn't like sushi either.

My dad overcooked stuff too, but he was just a bad cook, lol.

When I started cooking for myself, I went the opposite direction.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Yes, and yes. I remember the first time I had a medium-rare steak and it blew my mind. We also never had eggs with runny yolks; only ever had scrambled eggs. First time I had runny yolk eggs I was so mad what was denied to me growing up haha.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Grew up in an Indian family and didn't eat beef. I had steak for the first time at the age of 23 at a fancy place in London. It was a ribeye cooked medium with a glass of red wine. After the initial 'oh god shouldn't that be cooked' I ended up devouring it.

The next day I was in Belgium and had a 2 inch thick veal fillet, cooked blue. Yes, that's right, a pretty much raw piece of meat just 24 hours after I first ate steak. It was paid for as part of the event I was at - the non-beef option was soup.

And it was incredible. I still think about it.

Edit. Just remembered that I phoned by mum on the way back from Belgium and told her off for scaring me off eating beef.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
mom always preferred more pink. the rest would eat it medium to medium rare. pretty sure any well done steaks where mistakes

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I'm not sure why we can't eat the steak after the steak has been chopped up into small bite-sized chunks, then stir-fry them to medium rare or close to medium well.

I prefer eating steak like that. Dipping it in the traditional AI steak sauce makes it all tasty.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Steaks were always medium-rare growing up

Burgers were always medium-well. Because ground chuck is a hive for ickies. Never known anything different and continue that with my family today.

And remember, its about internal temperature, not color.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I did, but only inadvertently.

The steaks we got at home were burnt, but that was because my dad couldn't grill them for shit. Whenever we ate out, I think he always did Medium Well.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
i've actually don't know how my family likes their steak. for whatever reason, it's just not a thing my family eats or talks about. steak meat, sure, but not like a full steak you eat with a knife and fork as a main dish. i do have a feeling they wouldn't be medium rare/medium enjoyers (at first) though. because i went into that type of meat having to ask if it was safe. but once i was told it was, one try was all i needed.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My dad has always been a Well Done person. Growing up, I always disliked steak and would rarely order it because it was always so dry to me.

When going to college, I eventually tried medium well and settled on medium and now enjoy it more. I still probably don't order beef as much as other people because of that experience growing up. Much prefer ordering chicken or fish.

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
Yes, I grew up in a well-done household. My parents only ever cooked or ordered well-done stuff. Luckily, I broke the cycle and now enjoy medium.

What's sad is that my siblings are raising their kids this way as well. I tried to explain to one of my nieces about it but she's been brainwashed lol.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
I was raised on well done steaks and didn't see the light until I started dating my wife about 10 years ago.
Went to an expensive steak place and said F it, lets go Medium-Rare.
Changed...my...life. Now I give my family shit every time I see them over ruining every steak I had before then.

Red_V2

Oct 25, 2017
One day I will open a steakhouse and if anyone orders anything besides medium rare they will be promptly kicked the fuck out.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Yes and yes!

Tried to cook a steak the right way, well at least at medium level, for my parents, and they absolutely refused to even try it

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
One day I will open a steakhouse and if anyone orders anything besides medium rare they will be promptly kicked the fuck out.

Tbh lots of high end steakhouses will ask you how you want it cooked merely out of formality and you're getting whatever the chef has done 6 million times before

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
We didn't eat much steak growing up as we were low-income. Today, I just don't eat steak. Would rather have a hamburger, chicken, turkey, or fish.

I've had good steak, and I've had bad steak, so I know it can be delicious, but I don't like it more than the other options, and there is an element of inconsistency with steak unless you're paying a lot. Like, you can go to the same place and order the same steak in the same way on two different days and the results can vary a lot.

bm1677

Oct 28, 2017
I got well done as a kid simply because I didn't like the idea of it not being cooked, not due to any household reasons (dad was not well done, mom was always well done). I now order medium-rare these days.