Oct 26, 2017
Here's a really cool look at a sealed copy of the last ever official Dreamcast game released on March 8th, 2007 in Japan; Karous by Milestone!

s-l1600.png

(Source with more pics)

This explains why later box art images on GameFAQs are classic portrait style, as opposed to the square jewel cases we're so used to seeing with DC games.

Karous would get a Wii port the year after, with Milestone's Radirgy and Chaos Field added in, with the collection getting localized in early 2009 via UFO as Ultimate Shooting Collection.

The other final DC game and only other one in 2007, just the month prior, would be Warashi's Triggerheart Exelica, which just so happens to have already been released on Switch in Japan and is coming west this year, complete with a physical release via Red Art Games!

s-l1600.png

(Source)

Would've been cool if Sega reprinted some games like Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 in this style IMO, even if they'd be Japan-only, for the novelty.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that, that said I was always really fond of the PAL Dreamcast cases, so I'm kind of biased for them. It's just unfortunate that they seemed to break so easily.

sonic-adventure-2-sega-dreamcast-2001-european-version-pal-1.jpg

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I had both Karasu and Trigger Heart-- indeed both were in those cases

I think the Dreamcast version of Under Defeat also used DVD boxes.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
That's interesting. I always wondered if Sega would have stuck with jewel cases if the DC had lasted, considering every other console that gen used DVD cases (except GC in Japan).

They had already switched from white to black in the art, which is a fun way to easily spot which games were early or late releases. I guess kind of like long case PS1 games vs. jewel case PS1 games, or Spider-Man font PS3 games vs. slim logo PS3 games.

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Cosmic Smash case was a beautiful surprise when I first got it from NCSX, but I hated that it didn't fit the shelf with the rest of the Dreamcast collection.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe Sega was still printing Dreamcast games 6+ years after killing the console.

sha1ashaska22

Sep 4, 2020
I didn't know that, that said I was always really fond of the PAL Dreamcast cases, so I'm kind of biased for them. It's just unfortunate that they seemed to break so easily.

(cool case image)

Yes I love my PAL Shenmue 2 copy!
This is really cool. I didn't realize official DC games were still releasing so many years later.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
I assume they were only able to do it because they still supported naomi and then later triforce and chihiro which used gdroms. So manufacturing was still available.
Huh, never knew Triforce and Chihiro used GDROM as well! Funny as NAOMI was based on the DC, the Triforce was based on the GC, and Chihiro was based on Xbox.

...So where was the PS2 equivalent? :P

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia

sonic-adventure-2-sega-dreamcast-2001-european-version-pal-1.jpg

So many of the fucking things must have broke before even getting to stores, I swear. One of the worst case designs along with those dumb cardboard PAL saturn and early PS1 cases.

But they are incredibly nostalgic at the same time.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Had no clue new official Dreamcast games made it to 2007, that's wild. I thought 2002 was the absolute end for it in any official capacity.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I own the Segagaga collector's box set and the game in that version at least comes in a DVD case.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
That is pretty cool! I thought Sega was done with manufacturing official Japanese Dreamcast games in 2004 (after Puyo Puyo Fever) and that the DVD-case games were manufactured by the developers.

I imagine it must be a pain for collectors though. Just thinking about how all of my Dreamcast games are in CD jewel cases, only to have 1-2 games in DVD cases.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Huh, never knew Triforce and Chihiro used GDROM as well! Funny as NAOMI was based on the DC, the Triforce was based on the GC, and Chihiro was based on Xbox.

...So where was the PS2 equivalent? :P
Namco System 246/256. Sega did release a lightgun game on the system (Vampire Night) and vice versa namco did one for Naomi.

Konami also used PS2 hardware in a few of their arcade systems (some are blatantly just a fw modified ps2 inside a metal case).

Oct 26, 2017
That's kind of insane they had games coming out that far past Sega ceasing production. I still remember those giant Saturn jewel cases. I'm sort of glad the industry pivoted away from the CD jewel case. Those things were a pain to keep in good condition