• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I usually try my best to post positive threads here.

But then they asked me to come in on a Saturday.

I just bought Octopath Traveler and want to relax, dammit.

dlsgjkdgjsdlgkjdg

Complain about your job, day, or general career path here.

PatMan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Losing my job in September due to company closing. And I'm doing a piss poor job of applying to new places....

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to quit my job. it kills my motivations, I'm already on thin ice with the manager, I go to work everyday hoping I do a decent job and come hope feeling dejected because I didn't. I'm just generally unhappy with being here. the only reason I'm still here is because of insurance, but once I start school, I gotta leave anyway because there's no way I can work full time while doing school.

and yea, I had Octopath on preorder. I would pick it up right now, but I'm always stuck in this "preparing to go to work" feeling since I work from 5pm to 3am. shit sucks

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
My job as a teacher is pretty good, but my schedule next year is bullshit. I'm at an all-ages boarding school, and the only full-time English teacher in my department. They'd rather not hire another full-time English teacher or give me a supervisor position, because $$$, so I'll be teaching classes in grades 6-12, in English and two other subjects, plus mandatory extracurricular activities that don't count towards my teaching hour limit because "everybody has to do them." Everybody has to do them because people generally have 6 or 7 fewer classroom teaching hours than I have, assholes.

FloatOn

Jan 24, 2018
we casually call Friday "do nothing friday" here.

there is also an ice cream truck coming so that's cool.

but generally, it's just soul crushing boredom.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking how funny it is that im 100x more productive when I work at home compared to when im in the office. In so miserable here and my failing at applying to jobs is not helping my mood.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
My job as a teacher is pretty good, but my schedule next year is bullshit. I'm at an all-ages boarding school, and the only full-time English teacher in my department. They'd rather not hire another full-time English teacher or give me a supervisor position, because $$$, so I'll be teaching classes in grades 6-12, in English and two other subjects, plus mandatory extracurricular activities that don't count towards my teaching hour limit because "everybody has to do them." Everybody has to do them because people generally have 6 or 7 fewer classroom teaching hours than I have, assholes.
As a fellow educator, I just got angry for you. That sucks.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm doing an IT internship over the summer. I go back to uni. in the fall. I work 5 days a week, 9-5 in a nice office. I don't get that much work though, it's mostly playing the waiting game, pretending to look busy with spreadsheets open on my screen, etc .. pay is good tho so fukkit :) It's really boring though, no project/assignment so far has been very stimulating.

Ethical Hedonism

Permanent ban for creating alt account to troll.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the work I did this week was essentially wasted and I have to redo everything (for yesterday as always) because a colleague just couldn't pass me the correct information in the first place.
This has been happening for a while, shit drags you down.
Nonetheless, it's friday!

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Work is boring and unfulfilling as all hell, had a 12 hour day yesterday and it sucked

But when I went home and cooked dinner, I loved every second

Thinking of going to culinary school instead of this crappy office job

AdvancedWind

Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
I got some company logos in .pdf format to put on a website, a picture of a store card and a 4000X4000 photo of a storefront, definitely not what thought I'd be doing when I studied programming.

At least uploading these pics are literally all I had to do today, so there's that. Too bad I don't have anything to do and am bored as hell and still have a couple hours.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't start until 2pm. However, today, I put in my two week notice.

So today will be a good day.

Oct 27, 2017
I spend most days thinking "How the fuck am I going to do 6 more hours of this bullshit?" But somehow time ticks on by.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I got some company logos in .pdf format to put on a website, a picture of a store card and a 4000X4000 photo of a storefront, definitely not what thought I'd be doing when I studied programming.

At least uploading these pics are literally all I had to do today, so there's that. Too bad I don't have anything to do and am bored as hell and still have a couple hours.
Second-hand dev story that your post reminded me of:

A client once asked a company to add a screen to their a hardware product so that they could show things like advertisements on it. So the devs did their research, worked out the hardware/software resources they could allocate to that screen, and delivered the product to the client with the extra screen and a set of guidelines about the image/video formats and bitrates that could be displayed on it.

Client goes "oh right, we asked for that screen didn't we?" and slapped together a static image of their company logo to put on it. So all that R&D the company did to produce that screen resulted in a single static image file that just gets shown on that screen at all times.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I graduated in May with a physics degree. Looked for a job for awhile, realized that companies don't really care about a diploma if you have no experience. Finally got some office job with a temp agency a couple weeks ago.

I actually really like the people and the atmosphere, it's a good place to work. But it's just data entry that I feel very overqualified for, and the pay isn't good. Room to grow but who knows how long that will take.

At least it's zero pressure, easy work, that I can excel at. I'm not hating it, but I can't settle down and be satisfied either, at least not until I get a big raise.

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
I have so little to do at my job that I can disappear for hours in the cafeteria, taking trips to best buy or to get my car washed or whatever, post on message boards all day, and no one notices or gives a shit.

I hate it.

But I also don't really want to ask for more work because I don't like the company and am actively looking for a new job closer to where I live, so I kind of just want to ride it out.

Oct 25, 2017
I could do stuff for the rest of the day but i'm pretty much done. have to come in on the weekend for a little bit and just tired. lately everything seems super tedious. If it weren't for the fact that I can listen to podcasts while at work I wouldn't have lasted as long as I have.

Supha_Volt

Nov 3, 2017
Pretty much dead today. I finished the bulk of my work for the month on tuesday so now I'm just sitting here trying to entertain myself until I get off at 5.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What are people's schedules? And do you like it?

I'm 7-3:30. At first I thought waking up at 5am would suck, but I got used to it. And being off earlier is great. It makes the rest of the day more flexible.

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Annoyed that people can't figure shit out in my masters classes so the project I busted my ass to get done got pushed -_-

Works good tho, I do work like 8 to 6-7 tho lol

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
What are people's schedules? And do you like it?

I'm 7-3:30. At first I thought waking up at 5am would suck, but I got used to it. And being off earlier is great. It makes the rest of the day more flexible.
Flexible but within a range. I am usually here 8-4, eat at my desk, so I don't need to make up time lost from taking an extended break.

iseta

Jun 26, 2018
Jupiter
Infinite boredom. Also, everyone is taking vacations and I don't have enough work time for it. Frustrating.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been working from home most of the time on social media management, which is actually pretty great considering I'm my own boss. If this turns into a full time gig, hopefully I won't have awful dragging days.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I love my job. With all my heart.

I just hate my commute. Been doing it for over 10 years so it's starting to wear at me. Especially with the MTA not really keeping up with the amount of people my train has just gotten more crowded over the years. Seats are hard to get in the AM rush train. Fucking hate the MTA.

Fuckers NEVER late taking my money tho.... Never a fucking problem there.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I work 11-7:30pm

Job is just a frustrating metric based customer phone support position. Pay is very good for the area and my benefit/insurance is amazing. One of my best friend's sit behind me had his last day recently. Now it's just lonely.

They have a lot of interviews for positions but everything is customer "facing" when I want to move in a behind the scenes role. Tired of being cursed out over the most basic of things all day.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am a photographer for a large car dealership. Most of the time work is fine and simple: I check through my list of cars without pictures online, check out the keys based on their stock numbers, and go grab the vehicle from the lot to get some shots. We have a designated photo area that is meant for all the cars, which is a showroom at the end of the building. However, this room is often used to show cars to customers, or to drop off deliveries from other dealerships, or to leave a car out of the weather when a customer comes to pick it up. During any of these times, I can't do my job whatsoever, and have to just sort of... wait.

Today is one of those days. I'm bored out of my mind, and I want to leave ASAP. However, I'm hourly, and need the money desperately, so I just sit and grind out the clock. It feels almost wrong, but given the circumstances, there isn't much I can do.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
More and more recently I've come to hate my job. Not the actual job itself, but I guess the work/life balance. We have unlimited vacation time and the option to work from home, but both are seemingly rarely approved. I scheduled a couple doc appointments and was asked to provide a doctors note (it was 2 appointments, 3 weeks apart). I still worked, I just left early, went to the appointment, and then finished up the day from home. And I was given a ration of shit for it.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Today has been pretty nice actually since my team isn't in and I can just work on code all day without being interrupted.

I love my job. With all my heart.

I just hate my commute. Been doing it for over 10 years so it's starting to wear at me. Especially with the MTA not really keeping up with the amount of people my train has just gotten more crowded over the years. Seats are hard to get in the AM rush train. Fucking hate the MTA.

Fuckers NEVER late taking my money tho.... Never a fucking problem there.
I wonder what's better: living at the end of the line and being guaranteed a seat for a longer ride or having a shorter ride but never getting a seat.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I miss when I started working here(3 years ago).
Every day I was actually excited to go to work, and I wouldn't keep looking at the clock all the time. There were actual challenges, and I could feel myself improving.

Now? It's like I'm stuck, just slowly crawling through mud.

Macheezmo

Oct 25, 2017
I work on the road. Currently I'm in Illinois and it is soul-crushingly hot out, so the work is pretty shit right now. We are working 7-5, Monday-Saturday. Yesterday they told us we needed to drive to Utah for a job. They wanted us make the drive Saturday and Sunday, but we didn't want to spend our one day off driving for 10 hours. So they begrudgingly agree to let us leave today. We get about 3 hours into the trip then they call us and tell us to turn around and go back to the job we just left to help help the other crew finish. It's a lot of nonsense.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
Boss gives coworker a day off one week for being burnt out. Gives same coworker a day off the next week, because too many people scheduled. I ask her if I can take a day off, because literally all our workers were scheduled for a small day. I get berated in front of people about how I should know how to request days off after being here for so long and how no one gets special treatment; we all have to work our scheduled days. Cut to a week and a half later. Same coworker gets a day off infront of his split, calls out five days in a row (too sick to come in) then she approves 4 days off. So this fuck has been off for 11 days. I request a week off two weeks in advance and get denied.

Also, she's called out off and on for a total of 20 missed days. She is still going on her vacation this week (the week I requested off).

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I work level 1 tech support and today is slowwwww

3:30pm and our desk has received 160 calls since this morning, which is really low.

I like the job, way less stress on me physically and mentally than my last job (nursing assistant) but these days just kinda blow.

At least today I don't have to be the one talking on the phone since I got a trainee.

oh hey a call

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
Work sucks when it's slow but work sucks when it's hectic.

Conclusion: work, and working, fucking suck.