• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did your PS5 overheat at "that" cutscene in FF16?

• Yes but only at the Dragoon cutscene

Votes: 20 3.1%
  • Yes multiple times

Votes: 37 5.8%
  • No

Votes: 578 91.0%

• Total voters

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Please only do the poll if you have played up to and through the cut scene that is causing the overheat issues

Many people (including me) have had their PS5s overheat when playing FF16 at a certain cut scene with a Dragoon standing on a roof talking to the party. This cut scene I believe is about 25% through the game, but if someone has a more exact percentage please let me know,.

I'm really curious as to how many people this happened to.

Feb 16, 2022
For me it's the Morbol boss fight(the one in the demo too). It's replicable, too. Every time the QTE tutorial happens(which is twice during that fight), the overheating notification pops up.

However, the console itself was never any warmer than usual, and the fans weren't any louder than normal too(which is almost no sound at all). So I think it's something in the software causing a false flag?

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's the Morbol boss fight(the one in the demo too). It's replicable, too. Every time the QTE tutorial happens(which is twice during that fight), the overheating notification pops up.

However, the console itself was never any warmer than usual, and the fans weren't any louder than normal too(which is almost no sound at all). So I think it's something in the software causing a false flag?

Have you played past the cutscene with the dragoon, and if so did it overheat there as well?

Also, I think I've heard my PS5 fan about three-four times since launch, and it was only slightly audible.

When I first watched the cutscene in question my fans out of no where started roaring louder than even my Pro at its worst, then the system just straight up shut down with no warning

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
nope - though we're in the middle of winter so that may play a part if its actually overheating (vs the US and other places experiencing heat waves)

Feb 16, 2022
Have you played past the cutscene with the dragoon, and if so did it overheat there as well?
I haven't, sorry. But it "overheat"ed again during another QTE moment in a boss fight, but only that time other than the Morbol fight.

For clarification, my console has also never done this before this game, and I've had games push the fan really loud before.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya

I don't think there's any way to cause a false flag in software- the internals are probably just at a nominally hotter temperature that you can't measure from the outside with whatever method you're using.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Played for 90 hours and never had any overheating issues. I barely touch my PS5 though.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished the game (Watching the credits rn), and I've had no issues

If I was to have any issues, it would be at the final boss, god damn

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it popped up loads of times but it's a false positive. Your console isn't going to overheat. I don't even believe modern consoles could be damaged by anything like that.

My console shut off completely three times when I was trying to watch that cutscene. Once with no error message, and then twice when I got the error message and pressed "OK". So yeah, it's not a false positive on my end

Feb 16, 2022
I don't think there's any way to cause a false flag in software- the internals are probably just at a nominally hotter temperature that you can't measure from the outside with whatever method you're using.
It makes no sense given the other factors like the fan, though. So unless this game specifically somehow causes the fan to not work properly, I don't see how it's a console problem. Just earlier I was playing other games and had the fans going louder at times on intense moments. It'd be weird if the fan barely exerts any effort when the internal is seemingly hot enough to cause an overheat notification.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Yup. Freaked me out. Vacuumed my PS5 after and it's not happened again. Also began closing the game went I would go into rest mode just to be safe, lol. Hardly feels any different from just resuming the game via activity cards anyway. Everything loaded super fast.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Yep, console shut down twice in two attempts to do it in Graphics mode. Sounded like a PS4 Pro during for the first time after being whisper quiet for every other game, and then shut itself off.

Switched to Performance and had no issues, so I'm sticking with that for now.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I literally just got to this an hour ago and no it was perfectly fine, took my headphones off to see if the fan was going nuts and didn't hear anything.

Edit: I am playing on Graphics mode as well.

vance

Jun 24, 2023
My console shut off completely three times when I was trying to watch that cutscene. Once with no error message, and then twice when I got the error message and pressed "OK". So yeah, it's not a false positive on my end

Oh wow, apologies for being over confident. That's wild. I had popups loads of times but it never forcibly shut off. Does it happen in any other games or just FF16?

Jarchafiend

Apr 24, 2021
I've had no issues with overheating so far, and i'm almost done with the game in graphics mode. I've had my PS5 for over two years, sitting in horizontal mode.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Launch PS5, graphics mode through my whole playthrough, no issues. Though it is Winter here, so room temp is cool.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, apologies for being over confident. That's wild. I had popups loads of times but it never forcibly shut off. Does it happen in any other games or just FF16?

I had it happen once when playing Ghostwire Tokyo. Other than that, no. And I've been using my PS5 almost daily since launch

Sylmeria

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2022
Never had an overheating warning but the game was really choppy in parts where the enviroment wasn't demanding at all in Performance mode during combat.

The PS5 was totally silent so it's pretty weird.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I am well over halfway through the game on my launch day PS5. So far, no issues whatsoever. It hasn't even been noisy.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Put in about 60 hours in graphics mode and didn't have a single issue. Even after the Eikon battles my PS5 was still silent. Zero issues from start to finish for me.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I am thinking it is most likely a hardware issue in a percentage of consoles. From the poll so far it looks like it may be as high as 10%

Cartoonic21

Oct 25, 2017
So far so good, I'm at just over 60% of the way through the game and had no overheating despite some pretty crazy over the top scenes. All in graphics mode.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
My PS5 overheated a few times playing the game, just turned off, no warning or anything. It happened at random times, but not at that cutscene though. After the last time I took it apart and gave it a thorough cleaning and it hasn't happened since, that was like 20 hrs of playtime ago.

Solid278

Aug 26, 2019
I'm in the camp that blames the skybox—I got the morbol overheat and the dragoon overheat, both situations where the skybox is front and center, but more damningly after Primogenesis, while also looking at the sky in the Hideaway, the fans kicked in almost immediately and got an overheat message a few seconds later. I also heard the fan kick in for a moment during a late game side quest, when the camera panned up to show the sky for a second.

Never any other instances of overheating on my launch PS5.

Really, I encourage anyone who has had this issue to try looking at the skybox in various zones.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Naa. I was graphics mode at the time too. My PS5 has hardly made a sound playing this game

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, I had one scene with a bit of slow down no crashes or overheating whatsoever. And my PS5 is used ALOT.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I've experienced bits of slowdown in the game occasionally during busy scenes, but never had a overheat or crash. I did, however, blow the fuse for the circuit my PS5 and AC are on twice lol.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Didn't get a single heat warning once during my playthrough.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Nothing and I'm 64% through the game. It probably helps that it's cold as fuck in Australia right now if it is an actual overheating issue.

Joo

May 25, 2018
No. I'm about 65% through the game. Looking at the poll this does seem to be a pretty isolated issue.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
friend had his ps5 overheat at some point of the game. he decide to clean his ps5 and it stop freezing.
it was happening when he played diablo4 too.

so yea, take off the side panel and clean the fans such

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
Nope, was certainly keeping an eye out for it after reading the thread here as well.

I noticed zero difference during this cutscene compared to any other.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I got 3 overheat warning in my total playthrough, and the first one was at that dragoon cutscene.

Courfeyrac

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Finished the game at 62 hours, no overheating warnings or anything throughout the game. However, being in Scotland the environment is going to be a lot cooler relatively.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
No, although the fans did get loud at times. I don't see how this can be the fault of the software since it would be much more widespread if it was.