• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

does your switch oled have green tinting?

• yes

Votes: 80 9.8%
  • no

Votes: 183 22.3%
  • i have no oled but want to participate in the democratic process known as resetera.com poll voting

Votes: 556 67.9%

• Total voters

misery mired

Apr 2, 2022
how do i know this? because i literally went through four... yes, four different zelda oleds today. every single one had green tinting

if you're unaware, green tinting is a commonish issue with low-quality oled panels. i'm not a technical guy so i don't know why it happens, but it looks like this (screenshot stolen from reddit):

0w0a4z6k7lt71.jpg

the severity of the problem will differ from screen-to-screen, but as you can see, what's supposed to be a uniform black has a sickly green color seeping into the proceedings. it typically only occurs on certain brightness levels (usually when the brightness is under 50%), and i'm guessing the vast majority of consumers either don't know or don't care because this has been a problem with the switch oleds since they first launched in 2021

let's rewind a bit for my personal history: last year i bought the splatoon oled. after discovering the green tint issue, i sent it in to nintendo for repairs. they sent it back claiming it was fixed, but the new screen still had green tinting. so i sent it back a second time. it came back just as defective as before. the third time i sent it in i demanded some sort of recompense and they let me select a free digital game (got mario strikers)

when i received it from nintendo the third time the screen was, yet again, still defective. i told them i'd send it in one more time and if it didn't come back properly repaired i was going to demand a refund. they let me select another free digital game for my troubles (tropical freeze this time), and after close to two months of ping-ponging my system back and forth to nintendo, the fourth repair finally had a screen with no issues

cut to today:
  • bought a zelda oled from best buy. the screen was defective
  • exchanged it for another at best buy. the screen was defective
  • the guy at best buy would not let me exchange it a third time, so i went to target. my third zelda oled screen was defective
  • i went back to target and exchanged it. four defective screens in a row
i'm going to exchange it one more time tomorrow, but if the screen on my fifth zelda oled is still borked i'm giving up. of course i could do a few more weeks/months of back and forth with nintendo and maybe get another free game or two out of the deal like i did with my splatoon oled, but i just don't have the energy

it's utterly ridiculous and unacceptable that out of the 10 oleds i've had in my posession (launch oled with green tinting that i didn't bother exchanging, the five splatoon oleds, and now the four zelda oleds), only one has had a non-defective screen. and that's after threatening nintendo with a refund demand. for all i know they have a select few quality screens they keep at the repair shop for when a persistent customer won't take "here's another crappy screen!" for an answer

so what's the best way to check if your oled is defective?
  1. turn off auto-brightness
  2. turn your brightness down all the way
  3. go to the eshop page for diablo 2 and go to the first screenshot
  4. raise your screen brigthness one notch at a time, keeping an eye on the pitch black edges to the left
if the blacks stay black the entire time, congrats! you should buy a lottery ticket next. but more likely than not you'll get that ugly green artifacting on the left side at certain brightness levels

if you have this problem and it bothers you, you can get it repaired for free from nintendo. and today both best buy and target allowed me to either exchange it for a different unit or get a full refund. exercise your options and don't settle for a subpar screen for this "premium" device. it's extremely (extremely) frustrating that i had to spend several hours going in and out of various stores four times today and still not even ending up with the item i wanted, but i take some small solace knowing nintendo lost money on all four switches i opened today because the stores will be returning to them as defects. and hopefully other people who were unaware of this problem will see this thread and follow suit if their units are defective too

if anyone else has oled horror stories they want to vent on (or helpful screenshots further showcasing examples of green tinting), post 'em. and if you did end up with a beautiful zelda oled that does have a fully functioning screen, i'd be curious to hear about that too

in conclusion, dammit, nintendo

edit:
This was my experience back with the launch units. Part that sticks out in the screenshot is the lit area in the lower left. Top unit is green/has color that extends beyond what should be seen.

N1bBE6F.jpg

edit 2:
Oh I think I see it now, it's more like green artifacts? I only see it in that diablo 2 screenshot at 30-40% brightness anything before or after is fine. I found these skyrim loading pictures but these seem more extreme looking. I don't have skyrim to try it out.

DAHD2m0.jpeg
MVLXNyG.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Am I crazy, cause I remember doing this with the PSP/Vita. Is this similar to other Switches or just this variant?

Can you post an image from your OLED that you got back from Nintendo that is fine?

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck, thank you for this thread. I'm opening mine on Sunday and I'll check this before moving everything over.

Was this a big issue with the normal oled models?? This is the first I've heard of it.

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
Damn, picked mine up earlier today and got started setting it up. I didn't notice any tint but I'll have to go and check later tonight…

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i have a launch oled switch and remember this issue, ran the tests a few youtube videos suggested and didn't notice anything but its a bummer to hear even the new models may suffer.

to test just turn auto brightness off (can hold down home its on that menu) and turn down brightness and see what the home page is like, would see a greenish tint on left side of screen. don't really notice it on mine but it is hard to tell i think

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Am I crazy, cause I remember doing this with the PSP/Vita. Is this similar to other Switches or just this variant?

Can you post an image from your OLED that you got back from Nintendo that is fine?

Yeah. PSP had the dead pixel issue too.

I just checked my original Switch OLED that I got on launch day back in 2021. Went from lowest brightness setting and went through until around 60% when I gave up. It was good. Checked not just first, but all Diablo 2 screenshots.

thecerrus

Oct 25, 2017
Checked mine and my old OLED an yeah i can see it a little bit on both of them, but it never noticed so it never bothered me.
If i play games its usually colourful and the screen is bright enougt

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
This is precisely why buying expensive new handheld systems gives me anxiety. That, and applying a flawless screen protector. I hate the whole process, haha.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
On one hand, it's good to raise awareness of shit quality screens. On the other hand, if you're someone that needs to take those steps to tell, it's probably not worth worrying about for regular use.

El Crono

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
It's almost funny how Nintendo can't get their shit together regarding screen quality control. Too bad this happened to you OP.

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Going to the diablo 2 page I can see a difference from my launch OLED to my ToTK OLED depending on the brightness.

llama-5-0

Mar 31, 2020
Pretty sure people have been complaining about this green tint thing since the oled originally came out. It's possible mine has it but I never noticed. You guys feeling anxious?! Lol

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Didn't Apple have this issue with the iPhone? I remember people complaining about it especially when playing YouTube videos. I assume it was resolved via software update since I don't remember a recall.

Oct 25, 2017
this should just be correct, agreed, but calling it borked may one of two notches too severe a reaction if you have to complete a magic eye puzzle on a dark screen to confirm that you have the issue.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Didn't Apple have this issue with the iPhone? I remember people complaining about it especially when playing YouTube videos. I assume it was resolved via software update since I don't remember a recall.

It's an OLED issue. You can have it on phones, TVs, etc...

Also seems that for this test you need to reduce to around 30% brightness. In my situation, even if mine had the issue, I would have never noticed it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks. Double-checked my launch Switch OLED and it's fine.

Couldn't stand the smudgy mura effect on my OG Vita though. I couldn't NOT stare right at it whenever the screen went dark. :(

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
My screen looks good at any brightness level, as far as I can tell. I either got really lucky or it's too faint for me to notice.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
another way to test op or anyone else when you get the oled go into the eshop find Diablo II: Resurrected look at the second picture onwards and test the brightness levels with the power saving and without to see if you get any green tint. My oled is perfect but thats an easy test to see how good quality your screen is.

*edit* whoops saw op already added that but yes thats the way to test everybody test your screens!

Lyriell

Oct 27, 2017
I mean this is bad for you, don't want to downplay your troubles. But if you gotta drop the brightness so low, not sure most people would notice or care.

My LG C2 can look pink hued off angle on the right. My solution is to sit in the middle :D

OP
OP
misery mired

misery mired

Apr 2, 2022
Holy fuck, thank you for this thread. I'm opening mine on Sunday and I'll check this before moving everything over.

yeah, checking for green tint is the first thing i did on each system. basically just start the initial bootup > select link an existing a nintendo user account > say you still have the original switch the user acount is on and that you will keep using the original switch > enter your email/password and then your account will be linked. this will let you go to the eshop (as it's much easier to see on the diablo ii screenshots than just the plain dark mode home screen), and if you have the problem you can immediately format the console under settings and your account will be unlinked. took me a few tries to figure out the most efficient method of checking out of the box, so hopefully this is of some help

Ah damn, I was just about to buy one today for my little sister.

unless your sister is a hardcore device purist, i highly doubt she'd notice (unless it's an extremely botched screen). this has been a problem with switch oleds since they've launched and plenty of people are oblivious to the problem or are able to overlook some green discoloration on certain brightness settings. i definitely think nintendo should be raked over the coals for this, but i'd hate for someone to miss out on a nice present over an issue they likely wouldn't care or know about

On one hand, it's good to raise awareness of shit quality screens. On the other hand, if you're someone that needs to take those steps to tell, it's probably not worth worrying about for regular use.

it's true that you can avoid the problem altogether by never using the offending brightness range, but i don't like the idea of dropping close to $400 on a device where i feel like i can never use ~10–15% of the brightness range. especially when that range is on the low end, which is what most people (presumably) use in bed

OP
OP
misery mired

misery mired

Apr 2, 2022
I feel like when you have bought 10 switches and kept several of them, just stop.
i've gone through ten oled switches. the vast majority were repairs/returns. i currently only have two (launch and splatoon), and if i can ever get a zelda one with a good screen i'll be giving the splatoon version to a family member

DoctorPlayer MD

"This guy are sick"
Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
I did a video test on my OLED screen and it indeed had some green tint in some situations.. that I never encountered during gameplay in over a year with it, so no reason to bother with a replacement. I don't play Diablo though, and can't recall any particular game I own that has really dark enviroments.

Oct 27, 2017
Im sorry you had to go through that but I think maybe draw the line here and don't buy the oled anymore? You basically got the issue 80% of the time. I wouldn't support a company if that happened to me. Mind you I love my switch (not oled) but damn, you're patient lol

OP
OP
misery mired

misery mired

Apr 2, 2022
I did a video test on my OLED screen and it indeed had some green tint in some situations.. that I never encountered during gameplay in over a year with it, so no reason to bother with a replacement. I don't play Diablo though, and can't recall any particular game I own that has really dark enviroments.
funny thing is totk will almost assuredly have really dark environments in whatever the underground sections are. we've already seen a
new shroom that specifically produces illuminating properties
plus a clip of link
using a fused light shroom + arrow to light up a cave

Last edited:

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth

Since this thread I've been checking online. In some cases they say you won't notice or see it during gameplay, which sounds strange.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
OP, this console came out today. Not to downplay this, but at what point is this just looking for an issue? It seems like it only occurs at a dim level. I'd get exchanging a second one, but to go through four (and a fifth tomorrow) seems excessive.

Also, as others mentioned, you've gone through ten prior switch OLED's? It seems like this is a widespread issue that Nintendo has no concern for. Sorry, but you may just have to deal with it? :/

Hope that doesn't sound rude.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I just checked mine and either it doesn't have this issue or it's so subtle that I will never, ever notice it.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Isn't this just a normal OLED thing? The Vita had exactly the same "issue" and it was always only approaching a problem at low brightness in a dark room.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
That's a bummer I guess but maybe just don't turn the brightness down super low? I can't imagine dealing with something like this nearly a dozen times. I hope you were polite to the retail folks at least.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
It'a a $300 toy.

I mean, I would totally get it if it were super severe. But I just tested both my launch model and TotK model and they both have the ever most slightly green tint from like 20-40% brightness. It's perfect at lowest brightness or anything above 50%. And when in the bad range, it's only noticeable if you're really looking for it.

I cannot imagine being this much of a stickler or the poor retail workers. This has big "my $12 Amiibo box is lightly bent" vibes.

OP
OP
misery mired

misery mired

Apr 2, 2022
Those poor retail workers.

I cannot imagine being this much of a stickler or the poor retail workers. This has big "my $12 Amiibo box is lightly bent" vibes.

good points, because i totally berated them all with a cruel barbs in my raw, unhinged fury before demanding they personally atone for nintendo's sins

i was extremely polite and friendly as i always am to people. but yes, the horror of them having to do their job by scanning one box to then exchange it with another box! i'd be shocked if they weren't blackout drunk by now after the rough time i gave them at work earlier today

lol, this place is nuts sometimes

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
"Chances are overwhelming" is a statement that needs verification, and an n=4 sample isn't really proving anything. I do agree that you were overwhelmingly unlucky OP, hope you get a working screen.