bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
Apparently this news is from end of July but I'm just seeing it. I cannot believe this!!!! So excited, this was something I thought was literally impossible. Total pipe dream.

The three original JP films that comprised the American Digimon: The Movie are being released uncut and newly dubbed with as much of the old cast as they could get. the original VAs for Matt, Kari, and Davis are returning. Original JP score for these versions! And subs/JP audio on disc too.

Our original English cut of Digimon: The Movie will be included in this release too, remastered in HD and with the original score and soundtrack!

All the info (including cast lists, etc.) collated here at With the Will.

Edit - trailer:

View: https://youtu.be/Qxev5HD_ZQE?si=jIvqitEzBKhEcqwC

Last edited:

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Release that soundtrack on vinyl

Edit: "No short before the movie."
Angela Anaconda in a landfill somewhere.

OP
OP

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
Mighty Mighty Bosstones or am I'm out
They made the cut. I'm glad the original US version is preserved. I remember over the years the speculation of the licensing hell that movie was in. Between whoever owned the anime then and now, who owned the movie now, FOX distributing it back then, then you add in all those pop songs and the songs written specifically for the movie.

sov

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I wish they would do this with remastered visuals. The birth of Omnimon with an updated art style would be *chefs kiss*

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
I will not take this Angela Anaconda slander! Have to site through that 10 minute short is part of the Digimon Movie experience. I am happy that they are doing this, I remember loving this film as a kid. I watched it so many times, the animation is fantastic, great music and how they managed to link all three films together was genius.

I'd be happy to watch the films how they were originally intended it would be a nice way to re contextualise them.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit I might be in. Wait is there an option for the English dub soundtrack?

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
I will not take this Angela Anaconda slander! Have to site through that 10 minute short is part of the Digimon Movie experience. I am happy that they are doing this, I remember loving this film as a kid. I watched it so many times, the animation is fantastic, great music and how they managed to link all three films together was genius.

I'd be happy to watch the films how they were originally intended it would be a nice way to re contextualise them.
Vaguely referring to some kid named Willis who kept going "my bad" until he actually shows up in the 3rd act.

OP
OP

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
Nice. I've always wanted to revisit Summer Wars the digimon movie
I finally watched Summer Wars earlier this year. I liked it, but the similarities were crazy lol, more than I expected
I wish they would do this with remastered visuals. The birth of Omnimon with an updated art style would be *chefs kiss*
You think so? I think they look incredible still! Especially those first two. I just love the look of Hosoda's style (and the work of whichever animation house he uses).

Great artwork and the animation itself is wonderful IMO. Maybe give some scenes a rewatch, it's much better animated than the anime was!

And this will be in HD and widescreen, thankfully.
They were going to put it in, but couldn't get the rights
I would love to know exactly which part of the conversation or process they hit their wall. Could they not find the rights holder, or did the Angela Anaconda rights holder somehow actually say no? I would love to know their reasoning if the latter occurred lol
Oh shit I might be in. Wait is there an option for the English dub soundtrack?
Yes! Well, in the original cut. As we saw it long ago. The new dubs will not have the old dub soundtrack.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Sweet, I never did get around to seeing this despite loving Digimon as a kid and loving Mamoru Hosoda as an adult.

Waggles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This shit was originally three films? Like, i knew it was trimmed for the US release, but damn.

I'm curious. Gotta get that 4k version for sure.

saiko

Keeper of the White Materia
Nov 4, 2017
I barely remember this movie at all. Might give this a go.

Feb 16, 2022
I already have the original JP version of the movies and as far as I'm concerned they're the definitive version anyway(though I have somewhat of a fond memory of the botched English cut, thanks to Angela Anaconda), but this is good news for fans of the English dub. I had some issues with it, but I thought the VAs did a good job.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I already have the original JP version of the movies and as far as I'm concerned they're the definitive version anyway(though I have somewhat of a fond memory of the botched English cut, thanks to Angela Anaconda), but this is good news for fans of the English dub. I had some issues with it, but I thought the VAs did a good job.
This also has the Japanese version of the 3 films in HD

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to know exactly which part of the conversation or process they hit their wall. Could they not find the rights holder, or did the Angela Anaconda rights holder somehow actually say no? I would love to know their reasoning if the latter occurred lol

The company that owns the rights technically doesn't exist anymore.

OP
OP

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
Sweet, I never did get around to seeing this despite loving Digimon as a kid and loving Mamoru Hosoda as an adult.
The second one, Our War Game, I find genuinely good, particularly if you have an attachment to the characters. Tai and Izzy's interplay is so good and they feel like actual close friends would act with each other.
This shit was originally three films? Like, i knew it was trimmed for the US release, but damn.

I'm curious. Gotta get that 4k version for sure.
Yep. A couple times over the years I've thought, "damn, it would be great to see the full 02 movie (the third part) with the English cast I know and love." But it was obviously a pipe dream, beyond even. Can't believe it's real and they're actually investing in a new dub.
Might be worth it to get it then since they never released the originals on Blu-Ray iirc
They were released on BR in Japan as part of a box set.
The company that owns the rights technically doesn't exist anymore.
Well there you go. That's something. Do you mind if I ask how you know, or if you have more to share? Guess I just figured it would have been part of some big package to whoever was buying those parts of FOX's catalog as they sold it over the years.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well there you go. That's something. Do you mind if I ask how you know, or if you have more to share? Guess I just figured it would have been part of some big package to whoever was buying those parts of FOX's catalog as they sold it over the years.

One of the producers of the redub talked about it on one of JelloApocalypse's live streams a couple weeks ago.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I've never seen the 3 movies split, only the (imo) abomination that we got in the West. With it's loose narrative thread tying them together. I'm actually really excited to see all 3 unedited but with the English cast.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'm just waiting for that preorder link lol.

Also One Week playing in the movie is peak nostalgia now.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I remember that we had the JP version of the series dubbed and we also got the US version of the movies dubbed by the same actors of the series

I remember being hyped for the movie, as the artstyle looked different but pretty good at the same time. And my impression after the movie was "wtf did I watch? Nothing makes sense here". Like it was Digimon but it wasnt Digimon at the same time.

Honestly it was weird to change from the JP version into the US one. It was all quite different.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
I think they did a good job tying the three unrelated movie together narratively but the part of the story with the 02 kids always feels flat because it comes right after the first appearance of Omnimon. The Golden Armor forms just don't really hold a candle to that.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
So the redub that's included is like a more accurate localization? Because I'm not watching that version if so. The dub is legit funny as fuck.

OP
OP

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
One of the producers of the redub talked about it on one of JelloApocalypse's live streams a couple weeks ago.
Thanks!
This announcement dropping was the last thing I expected, I can't wait for it.

(Also there was a thread for it when it dropped, but it was bundled in with the Season 2 blu ray news so I can see how it got missed) https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...sions-redub-of-first-3-movies-as-well.747694/
Oh shoot, I only did a cursory search, my bad! Fun to see more conversation there.

reedscam

Oct 27, 2017
It's really awesome that this exists and hats off to Discotek for doing this. I loved Our War Game, and mostly enjoyed the movie in US theaters even though I recall some parts of the dub being a little cringey.

Dumb wish would be that this would also include the 4th movie so that this could just be a definitive "here's all the original Digimon Adventure movies" set.

maddieJ

Oct 27, 2017
South Portland, ME
I remember the original English dub of the Digimon Adventure 02 movie being weird and making no sense. I was then excited to watch the original Japanese version, expecting it to make more sense. It was still nonsense and it being longer actually made it worse.

Our War Games is still great though.