chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Tom and John sit down to discuss Apex Legends - every console is tested here. Which holds 60fps best? What kind of extra visual features do you get by playing on the enhanced consoles? You've got questions, we've got answers.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

Edit: Thread mark for summary added.

Last edited:

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Can someone give a brief description whenever you can? I'm at work :|

My only problem with Apex it's the bloody anti aliasing I just hate the damn thing

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
TLDR - environment and situations vary so much that none hold 60 steady, but Pro and X offer more stable performance than their earlier counterparts. As low as 40s for base consoles, as low as 50 for Pro/X, but also far rarer dips. There seem to be some odd spots on the map and use of smoke which reliably trigger the drops.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll dive into the video better when I have time for that. Either way the game runs rather smooth on the X and looks pretty good in the process for a multiplayer game on a giant map with 60 players. I'll probably try out the game on the S next week at my partner's place too.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Can someone give a brief description whenever you can? I'm at work :|

My only problem with Apex it's the bloody anti aliasing I just hate the damn thing
X slightly higher resolution than the Pro.

X has worse framerate than Pro during drop-in sequence, but then X is "maybe slightly smoother" than Pro during actual gameplay.

S performance is pants with weird lag spikes.

Video Summary
OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Summ summ's:

- Still using modified Source engine.
- Targeting 60 FPS across all platforms.
- AO present on Pro and X (wasn't present in TF2). But not present on Base consoles.
- Shadows are drawn higher quality and farther on Pro/X compared to Base consoles.
- LoD also pushed out farther on Mid-gens. XBX -> Pro -> Base consoles in this regard.
- Texture filtering also higher on Mid-Gen consoles.
- Mid-gen consoles also seemingly have higher quality textures. Difference is very subtle but is present.

- Resolution:

- Both have adaptive resolution using TSAA.
- Pro: Varies between 1080p to 1440p but hangs towards 1080p more often. Rare cases of drops to 900p.
- XBX: Similar to Pro but variable bounds are higher. On avg 1260 to 1292p range. Sharper than Pro but only by a bit.
- Base PS4: 1080p is max bound. Lowest seen at 720p. Doesn't go that far down regularly, but possible. Generally stays close to 1080p.
- Base XBO: Generally in 648p to 720p range but potential to go lower.

- Performance:

PS4 Family:
- Initial drop is locked to 30 FPS on Base PS4, but unlocked on Pro. After drop, frame rate unlocks to 60 on Base PS4 too.
- Pro is very solid at holding 60 FPS, base PS4 is also fairly good but prone to hitching and small drops.
- In observed spots Base PS4 has a little stretch of near-50 FPS.
- Generally frame rate is still more stable compared to CoD's Blackout mode on Base PS4 as an example.

Xbox Family:
- During drop sequence, X has more drops in frame rate compared to Pro. Base XBO is capped to 30 FPS like Base PS4 during drop.
- XBX turns good performance overall in game play, can be interchanged with Pro and X 'might be slightly smoother overall'.
- Base Xbox performance has a lot of stutters, frame rate drops and generally much worse performance than all other consoles.
- Base Xbox also has frame time spikes which cause added judder in combination with frame rate drops.

Overall
- Mostly 60 FPS on mid-gens. Base PS4 runs pretty well. Base Xbox is the worst performing version.

Last edited:

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Summ summ's:
Base XBO: Generally in 648p to 720p range but potential to go lower.

- Base Xbox performance has a lot of stutters, frame rate drops and generally much worse performance than all other consoles.
- Base Xbox also has frame time spikes which cause added judder in combination with frame rate Drops.
Sounds awful. I bought Titanfall 2 for my new One S and it plays fine but Apex Legends I will have to play on my PS4 Pro although I prefer the Xbox controller for FPS games.

Oct 26, 2017
I probably just don't understand these things the way I should, but isn't it disappointing that X has that resolution and also has dips? I noticed them in my matches too but why can't it just be locked? Is it the engine? And if so, why? Surely not the X hardware?

DarkManX

Dec 20, 2017
Yea, base xbox have some drop and you really feel it.

and IQ, damn. I didnt expect to be below 720p

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I probably just don't understand these things the way I should, but isn't it disappointing that X has that resolution and also has dips? I noticed them in my matches too but why can't it just be locked? Is it the engine? And if so, why? Surely not the X hardware?

Xbox X isn't a magic box which automatically gives every game on it 4K/60, we gotta understand that it also depends on the engine and the scope/scale of the game.

It's still the highest resolution of all available consoles and outside of the drops in the initial drop-to-the-map, it's a near locked 60. So it's still providing the 'best' console experience.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft really needs to fast track getting rid of the S. It's so far behind at this point.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017

Dips only on the drop. The drop period just had unlocked frame rate and is so taxing that it's locked 30 FPS on base consoles. X1X has the smoothest performance once you're on the ground. It is weird that it dips more than pro on the drop and will likely be more optimized in patches.

Maybe the minimum resolution on 1X is higher? Pro can dip to 900p but maybe they've set the lowest threshold higher on 1X. Either way it performs better where it counts. When fighting.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unlocked framerates and variable resolutions are futureproofing for the next gen of consoles so the games can reap benefits without needing a special optimization patch.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Big maps and lots of players at once takes a big toll on the CPU, and that will certainly be causing some of the frame drops here. The X's CPU is only 10% faster than Pro after all.

I hate unlocked framerates though but I was happy with performance on the X. It holds 60 most of the time.
The thing was showing its age since day one.

At this point you really have to not care about visuals or framerate to still be gaming on one.
Where does that leave Switch then!?

But yeah I couldn't stand the 720/900p of the base XBO even back in 2013, which is why I was PS4-only until the X arrived. But my Switch is used purely as a handheld for pretty much the same reason.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Unlocked framerates and variable resolutions are futureproofing for the next gen of consoles so the games can reap benefits without needing a special optimization patch.

True.

But forget next-gen. This should have been a standard for most of this generation as well. Drops in resolution during the heat of combat are incredibly hard to notice, but drops in performance/response are immediately noticeable. I have always been a huge fan of games which do dynamic scaling in favor of performance.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
True.

But forget next-gen. This should have been a standard for most of this generation as well. Drops in resolution during the heat of combat are incredibly hard to notice, but drops in performance/response are immediately noticeable. I have always been a huge fan of games which do dynamic scaling in favor of performance.
Dynamic scaling has its own overhead though so needs to be used wisely, and it doesn't always work as well as we'd like (ie still get frame drops even when we wouldn't expect). It would be good if they could implement dynamic scaling to the metal in next-gen consoles.

Anyway, this uses dynamic scaling and we still get drops.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Yep, it's going to be a real smooth transition to next gen!

Throw in HDMI 2.1 and VRR and shit is gonna be tight.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The new consoles are a boon.

The only thing I didn't like on PS4 Pro is the very near and agreassive LOD improving and especially shadows that are divided to good shadows in front of you and the worse one just few meters ahead and when you move the bad ones keep changing to the better one which is very obvious.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The new consoles are a boon.

The only thing I didn't like on PS4 Pro is the very near and agreassive LOD improving and especially shadows that are divided to good shadows in front of you and the worse one just few meters ahead and when you move the bad ones keep changing to the better one which is very obvious.

If you don't like it on the Pro then you would have absolutely hated it on the base consoles lol.

Pro and X both have higher LoD and shadow distances compared to base.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
I wish that DF would go back to have their videos feature one person again rather then 2 people because these two man videos feel more Iike a discussion then a technical analysis.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I'm guessing these battle Royale/hunger games will perform much better in 2020.

Seems to be a recurring theme in these threads. These type of games are really taxing on the hardware.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Dynamic scaling has its own overhead though so needs to be used wisely, and it doesn't always work as well as we'd like (ie still get frame drops even when we wouldn't expect). It would be good if they could implement dynamic scaling to the metal in next-gen consoles.

Anyway, this uses dynamic scaling and we still get drops.

Still a huge step up from what we got late last gen when developers targeted a resolution with "good enough" frame rates that dip into the mid to low 20's in heavy action. Late stage PS3 was abysmal. I would rather have seen resolution dips to 480p to maintain target frame rate over what we got.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Digital Foundry the hardest working gaming outlet in the industry? How do they pump these out so fast. I'm genuinely amazed.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I'm guessing these battle Royale/hunger games will perform much better in 2020.

Seems to be a recurring theme in these threads. These type of games are really taxing on the hardware.
They all hit 60fps, what you will get is better LOD's with better CPU's, but they have to patch that in.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
If you don't like it on the Pro then you would have absolutely hated it on the base consoles lol.

Pro and X both have higher LoD and shadow distances compared to base.

Yeah I know and I didn't even test the low resolution textures too while the game was still downloading. I just fired the game after it was finished and the HD textures, while decent, aren't that great in closeup. I can't imagine the non HD textures too. The base consoles are really outdated these days and I think it is about time the the devs should focus more on optimising the mid-gen consoles and why not develop the last drop games on them as the base and then downport to the base ones so the games would look even better as having the mid-gen consoles as a default lead. It won't be a problem anyway, since we have a similar case with many games developed with base living room consoles then later ported to the Switch with some compromises.
I also think if there are cross-gen titles next-gen no way they gonna run on next-gen consoles and base current-gen consoles. They must be next-gen/ current mid-gen.

Last edited:

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Using 30fps for the initial drop was a really good choice.

Framerate is a solid 60 when actually on the ground shooting. It feels great,

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Summ summ's:

- Base XBO: Generally in 648p to 720p range but potential to go lower.

It can go sub-HD on base Xbox One? Hooo boy.

Also chandoog, just something I've noticed with your DF threads: May I suggest that you use the threadmark feature for your summary posts? (if you don't want to edit your summaries into your OP's)

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
It can go sub-HD on base Xbox One? Hooo boy.

Also chandoog, just something I've noticed with your DF threads: May I suggest that you use the threadmark feature for your summary posts? (if you don't want to edit your summaries into your OP's)

That's actually a great idea.

For some reason I thought only mods can add thread marks.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
It almost makes me nervous. They deserve millions upon millions of views for this stuff and the effort they put in.

True and they are doing anlyses as soon games are released.
But they don't do written articles anymore? Those articles are great too and they let us compare version with screens.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Some really neat decisions here to hit 60 on the various platforms. 30 fps cap on drop for base machines makes a ton of sense and is a smart little change. BTW has anyone else noticed that AO seems to be something more regularly enhanced on the Pro and X lately? On top of the res boosts and steadier performance that's a nice improvement.

I wonder if anyone has played around testing res/performance with higher FoVs. I'm playing on Pro and when I raised my FoV a bit the game seemed to feel a bit less steady but there's so many variables that I'm not sure if it was just the games I was in.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Their adaptive resolution tech is some real wizard shit and has been since Titanfall 2 IMO

Having it on PC is lovely

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping NXGamer tests. I'm confused about avg framerate as the guys were all over the place on it.

To paraphrase:

When it drops it always drops harder on X.
You can trade out performance of both consoles (Pro and X) as they're about the same.
X maybe has smoother average gameplay.

This was all within 5 minutes and why I would really, really love (and sound like a broken record) for DF to take a slice of gameplay and dump the framerate log so we can see average framerates.

We know it's variable and impossible to have 100% parity across platforms when testing, but it sure beats making assumptions from feedback like what we see here!

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping NXGamer tests. I'm confused about avg framerate as the guys were all over the place on it.

To paraphrase:

When it drops it always drops harder on X.
You can trade out performance of both consoles (Pro and X) as they're about the same.
X maybe has smoother average gameplay.

This was all within 5 minutes and why I would really, really love (and sound like a broken record) for DF to take a slice of gameplay and dump the framerate log so we can see average framerates.

We know it's variable and impossible to have 100% parity across platforms when testing, but it sure beats making assumptions from feedback like what we see here!
The "always drops harder on X" part was just for the initial drop into the map

The rest was hard to tell because the game is so variable and they can't play Pro and X together. They said both have great performance with maybe an edge to X based on their numbers but they can't be sure since it's not a like for like scenario.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I kinda feel sorry for Xbox 1 S owners.

The launch of the mid-gen consoles have tanked performance of multiplat games on the S.

The delta between 6tf and 1.3tf is large enough that scaling games between the two is clearly hitting its limits in many games.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
The "always drops harder on X" part was just for the initial drop into the map

The rest was hard to tell because the game is so variable and they can't play Pro and X together. They said both have great performance with maybe an edge to X based on their numbers but they can't be sure since it's not a like for like scenario.

Right, they seemed to emphasize that either platform will provide a pretty solid 60fps experience which I think is most important. It sure would be nice to have a look at hard data, especially for competitive shooters like this.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
They're also future proofing for VRR displays I would bet. Unlocked framerates often look great on my 2018 Samsung. Things will only be better on 2019 LGs.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
Something's just felt off about my PC performance, can't quite put my finger on it. The server issues probably aren't helping.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Something's just felt off about my PC performance, can't quite put my finger on it. They server issues probably aren't helping.

I was getting jitters on my 980ti, but I fixed it by changing the texture streaming budget to 4GB instead of 6GB. May still have some fluctuations, but GSync will be smoothing those out

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I expected a higher resolution for the 1X but I suspect that the Source engine showing its age a little. Seems like a mostly solid 60 during gameplay, which is the most important part of the whole game.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I wish that DF would go back to have their videos feature one person again rather then 2 people because these two man videos feel more Iike a discussion then a technical analysis.
I do mostly one man videos, though.

These types of discussions are simply faster to produce. I had to do this and a DF Retro. Scripting this would have eaten too much time and I'm already going to be working all weekend to finish as is.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Happy with Base PS4 results

And I'm so glad they added FOV options for those who want to change it, I put it from 70 to 90 much better I don't mind some performance loss due to this

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I've seen my framerate hit the low teens with Bloodhunts Ult + Bangalores smoke. Its atricious at times especially compared to patched Black Out.