• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8112

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

-720p in both modes, visual settings are identical, still no AA.
-docked is usually 10-20FPS faster than Wii U, still dips below 60FPS at the same stress points.
-undocked performance is better than Wii U but not as good as docked

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how the framerate holds in the later parts of Bayonetta 2. On Wii U it crashed to even lower than 20-15fps at times (at least it seemed to).

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Not unsurprising. It is a straight port more or less. Switch's extra power allows for a more consistent framerate.

Kind of a bummer about no higher res as opposed to the native that even the Wii U game was at, but not a deal breaker.

Better to have Bayonetta 2 on Switch in this state, rather than it being forgotten and lost to time on the Wii U.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
This is a not good port in my opinion. 720p with no AA is unacceptable and it's still not locked at 60 fps. At least you can play it on the go which is a great plus.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
sorry but these specs in 2018 is really bad, i know handheld yadda yadda but no, this is not enough and really awful on the technical side

Oct 25, 2017
That's okay. As talked by John, the alpha effects could probably killed the framerate at higher resolutions, so 720p is acceptable.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Eh, I think I'll be fine with the PC version of the first game and my Wii U copy of the second. Heck, the latter will eventually see its definitive version on Cemu once all the odd bugs are ironed out.

I wish this weren't such a barebones port.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's okay. As talked by John, the alpha effects could probably killed the framerate at higher resolutions, so 720p is acceptable.
720p without aa is not even remotely acceptable if the portable mode can do the same with a 5-10 fps drop.
if the alpha effects are causing a problem then a bizarre unthinkable option would be to lower them instead of having a game run run poorly and at extremely low settings.
need i remind you they are asking as much money for this as a brand new AAA title.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I can't stand 720p on my tv anymore, disappointed they couldn't bump it to 900p at least

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
sorry but these specs in 2018 is really bad, i know handheld yadda yadda but no, this is not enough and really awful on the technical side

The amount of overhead you'd need to hit 60 FPS constantly on an action game like this is uhh.... quite a lot. Load can quickly change from doing barely anything to a ton of effects and enemies at the same time in the space of a few seconds. They could have just dropped the base graphics level down but uh... we're still hitting 60 more than the Wii U, and given that's the closet console to the Switches power, is good enough.

(Of course, people out there honestly think Switch is hitting X1 performance levels and wondering why we're not getting it :'( )

I played B2 on CEMU, compared to Wii u is A LOT better.

I mean, I don't see how a post like this is helpful. "I played game on machine much much more powerful. It looked and played better".

Djawed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1080p would be nice but better performance still makes it worth a replay for me. I didnt finish 2 on the Wiiu

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Fully expected result. Thank you John and Richard for the analysis. I'd love to see a more in depth comparison with Bayo 1, 2 and the 360 version of 1

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
This is a not good port in my opinion. 720p with no AA is unacceptable and it's still not locked at 60 fps. At least you can play it on the go which is a great plus.

What makes this not a good port. It's at an identical res that the original game was at with an even more consistent framerate.

The lack of additional improvements does not make this a bad port. If the performance and res was even worse than the Wii U version we might be able to justify it as a bad port. It's basically an identical conversion with no downgrades.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8112

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
720p without aa is not even remotely acceptable if the portable mode can do the same with a 5-10 fps drop.
if the alpha effects are causing a problem then a bizarre unthinkable option would be to lower them instead of having a game run run poorly and at extremely low settings.
Yeah, I wonder if this was just due to budget/time constraints. I would've liked a higher resolution mode that had the same performance as handheld mode. Or at least some nice AA docked if anything higher than 720p were impossible.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Perfect that's what i wanted, especially in handheld: it's a very chaotic game, and at a lower res / inferior frame rate on a 6 inch screen would have been unplayable.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
720p, no AA and still not locked 60fps. Docked mode sounds pretty crap. Undocked mode sounds pretty good though depending on how often it's sub 60fps.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
It's an improved port over the original. So not sure why would someone would call it a bad port.
If you wanted more improvements sure, then it could make you dissapointed. But the port shouldnt be considered bad because you expected more.

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ridiculous price for a shoddy port.
Not really interested in the franchise but if anything I'll just jump in with B3.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
You guys fully ignoring the actual constraints of the hardware not playing nice with the games themselves and putting the blame on the porting effort can't be serious right now.

Saying "shitty/barebones/bad port" implies more could have been done when that's not really the case keeping the games how they are.

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
native 720p undocked with performance improvements over wiiu is all i wanted. day 1

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
720p with no AA even during docked is a bummer. It looks like a bare bones port overall, I guess they aren't expecting much sales given the budget/effort went to this.

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
Dynamic Res may have helped a lot here. (Or maybe even dynamic resolution alpha effects?)

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like minimal effort was put into this port and yet they want to charge full price? The fuck outta here.

Guipradi

Nov 29, 2017
Ispagnia
I'm happy to hear there was an improvement, anyways, Bayo 2 was a GOTY for several people even with the technical flaws. So I'm sure I'll enjoy my first jump to Bayonetta, knowing the ports are a step up.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dang 720p both modes confirmed and it can't lock 60. Bleh

And none of the bugs, glitches and crashes have been fixed.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was pretty clear from previews that the Switch was not rendering Bayonetta in resolutions higher than 720p. It's good that the framerate is improved in both modes though, even if it's still a little far from a stable 60FPS (which is why I'm glad Cemu is a thing that exists). Maybe they'll be able to improve things for Bayonetta 3.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's an improved port over the original. So not sure why would someone would call it a bad port.
If you wanted more improvements sure, then it could make you dissapointed. But the port shouldnt be considered bad because you expected more.

because were in a market where we get $40 remakes with all modern tech and assets, a $60 port on brand new hardware that shows improvements comparable to boost modes on xb1x is nothing worth appreciating. the difference between docked and undocked has been as far 720p to 1080p, or 30fps to 60fps(fire emblem warriors).
A 5-10fps boost of over undocked for a wii u game that looks identical to the original platform is not good optimization by any stretch of imagination. Its bare minimum work on portable and no work at all docked.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Native 720p and better framerate then WiiU is good for portable mode, it's a bit underwhelming for docked, it doesn't look like they put a lot of effort into making better for docked mode.

I'm gonna buy Bayo 1, and if I like I'll buy Bayo 2.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
You guys fully ignoring the actual constraints of the hardware not playing nice with the games themselves and putting the blame on the porting effort can't be serious right now.

Saying "shitty/barebones/bad port" implies more could have been done when that's not really the case keeping the games how they are.

It's a full price port of a 3 year old game that is running at the same resolution and still drops from its target frame rate. I'd hardly call it good from what we know so far.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like minimal effort was put into this port and yet they want to charge full price? The fuck outta here.
How do you know it was a minimal effort ? Porting these game to the Switch/Tegra architecture from WiiU might not be as easy as you think.
Its not like you can get Bayo 2 on WiiU for like 5 bucks either...at least not here.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The bugs are still there, i managed to play the prologue and nothing more, there are still a lot of crashes.
How do you trigger a crash? I've replayed Bayo 2 on Wii U and never ran into such issues nor have I on Switch. What are people doing that cause crashes?