• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Then again, the PS5 version of the game is about 45% smaller in size than the XSX version.

I do agree on the loading thing though, I don't understand what is happening there. There simply is absolutely no reason that the PS5 and the XSX should load a game in the exact same amount of time. Like NONE. Absolutely none. There I no technical basis for it to even remotely occur. Even if everything that had to the with IO processing on the PS5 was 30% slower than the XSX, from just raw IO transfer throughput the PS5 should still end up loading faster.
It's not that simple. You've got *more* compressed files on the PS5, possibly using different compression methods. Unless we know how much of the loading time is data throughput and how much is decompression we can't draw a conclusion like that. The PS5 version is twice as compressed. It could be spending a lot more of its load time decompressing than those files than the Series X, and it could just so happen to work out at about the same exact total time.

Whatever the case, both load so much faster than previous gen versions, that in practice both load plenty quickly for my liking. Maybe they could have further sped the PS5 version up with more work, but they figured it was already more than fast enough. Maybe they put more priority on getting the file sizes as low as possible while matching Series X load times.

And if so, that's fine by me too, cause storage expansion options are a bigger problem on PS5 at this exact moment of time (though hopefully not for long).

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TBH i expect it to be the opposite, a bigger team will be able to squeeze out a lot more out of more powerful hardware. That is why it would be nice to know why the XSX is doing 30% better here. Like somebody said above, the game is probably CPU limited.
It's averaging 16% better here. Which is literally exactly right in line with what the raw hardware between the XSX and PS5 tells us.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I have a hard time believing it's due to the SSD, but rather maybe better/more mature compression methods, but the huge difference in file sizes fascinates me. I'd love to know if other games have a difference in size.
He does kinda have a point. It's at least plausible, though I fear it's also invalid.

I could see how the PS5 has more compressed data that takes more time to decompress and ends up with you having similar load times with the XSX but benefitting from smaller overall file size. But then you look at games where they both have identical file sizes but still have mostly similar load times. And those here the PS5 only has like a 10-20% loading advantage. Which is like saying one loads in 8 seconds and the other in 10 seconds.

If they have so much overhead, a 60fps mode with better effects without RT would be great!
Not for the devs. We are seeing framerates dancing from 32 - 55% during photomode, be rest assured that during gameplay it would generally dip even lower than that and be more sporadic based on whats happening on screen. For what its worth, the 60fps mode probably averages above 85fps internally with drops to as low as 55fps lol. Devs love
If the loading times are bound by the CPU, and the CPUs are near identical, it could be the reason you're looking for.
But how though?

That's why i said even if everything that deals with IO processing is worse (you can add the same) on the PS5.

Everything, in this case, would include, data calls, decompression, and even mapping data. For them to still be identical would mean that the actual time spent moving data is minuscule to non-existent. And thats impossible.

Forgive me for getting slightly technical, let's say the PS5 moves data at 5GB/s. That's 5GB every 1000ms. Vs 2.4GB every 1000ms. Now let's throw in some bottlenecks and say for whatever reason the PS5 loses 300ms and the XSX loses only 100ms. The PS5 should still come out faster. The only way it doesn't is if devs go in there and enforce a hard restriction on the PS5. Basically, limit its throughput speed to match the XSX.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here we go.....

Sigh. How many more games we need to have to see that both consoles are practically the same in all metrics that matter? Which is good. End the war, warriors.
Agreed. Both consoles are very similar, with just enough difference in their hardware approach to make first-party exclusives really interesting. Third party games? It'll always be really minimal differences that 95% of consumers won't notice or care about.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
It's not that simple. You've got *more* compressed files on the PS5, possibly using different compression methods. Unless we know how much of the loading time is data throughput and how much is decompression we can't draw a conclusion like that. The PS5 version is twice as compressed. It could be spending a lot more of its load time decompressing than those files than the Series X, and it could just so happen to work out at about the same exact total time.

Whatever the case, both load so much faster than previous gen versions, that in practice both load plenty quickly for my liking. Maybe they could have further sped the PS5 version up with more work, but they figured it was already more than fast enough. Maybe they put more priority on getting the file sizes as low as possible while matching Series X load times.

And if so, that's fine by me too, cause storage expansion options are a bigger problem on PS5 at this exact moment of time (though hopefully not for long).
Oh, I agree...I alluded to this in my previous post which I got distracted away from posting lol.

But I also pointed out why this also seems strange to me too. This is the first game we are seeing where the PS5 is almost half the size as the XSX version. If being about 40% smaller equated to the same loading speed, shouldn't that mean when it's identical in size it should at least load about 40% faster?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

That's a very fair point. Doesn't explain why so many other multiplatform games load about the same time between the two systems, though.

If given the choice, I would be extremely happy with PS5 games being half the size and the same loading times as Series X (as it is in Control), rather than the same file size and 2x faster loading.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
while static and not having action where the cpu would also play a bigger role. cpu is miniscule difference. this explains why xsx was behind in various comparisons. faster clocks better tools make the difference when consoles are close.....
Faster clocks isn't making the difference (in every scenario). There are GPU tasks which are more reliant on more CU's.
Cool, I like to play games in photo mode! Seriously, why?
Because it's the closest comparison yet to benchmark the GPU we got. Most of the other games are locked 30/60/120 and then you don't see the overhead. Or the games aren't representing like for like scenario's, which is impossible to do during gameplay anyways. So Photomode it is.
Wasn't AMD architecture lacking actual cores for this?
Yes, there are no cores on AMD hardware (RDNA2 or previous architecture)
There simply is absolutely no reason that the PS5 and the XSX should load a game in the exact same amount of time. Like NONE. Absolutely none.
Not for this game, but there are reasons and one of them is networking. Bungie already talked about the potential bottleneck. Want a example?
  • Game XY loads data of the SSD in 2 seconds on PS5
  • Game XY loads data of the SSD in 4 seconds on Xbox
  • Game XY needs 5-6 seconds for network and stuff.
How long will it load on those consoles? You be the judge!

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
But how though?

That's why i said even if everything that deals with IO processing is worse (you can add the same) on the PS5.

Everything, in this case, would include, data calls, decompression, and even mapping data. For them to still be identical would mean that the actual time spent moving data is minuscule to non-existent. And thats impossible.

Forgive me for getting slightly technical, let's say the PS5 moves data at 5GB/s. That's 5GB every 1000ms. Vs 2.4GB every 1000ms. Now let's throw in some bottlenecks and say for whatever reason the PS5 loses 300ms and the XSX loses only 100ms. The PS5 should still come out faster. The only way it doesn't is if devs go in there and enforce a hard restriction on the PS5. Basically, limit its throughput speed to match the XSX.
I don't know how the loading process actually works, but if the game needs to load eg. 7GB of assets to render the first frame, but the first 500MB are the most crucial data that CPU will use to set up the engine and all the parameters, then the CPU will get that data in 0.2 seconds on XSX and 0.1 seconds on PS5, then will take 8 seconds to initialize the engine, loading the less important data in the meantime, resulting in the 8.1 second loading time on PS5 and 8.2 second loading time on XSX, ie. virtually identical.

It's possible I'm entirely wrong here, but such hypothetical scenario would explain what we are observing.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020

He does kinda have a point. It's at least plausible, though I fear it's also invalid.

I could see how the PS5 has more compressed data that takes more time to decompress and ends up with you having similar load times with the XSX but benefitting from smaller overall file size. But then you look at games where they both have identical file sizes but still have mostly similar load times. And those here the PS5 only has like a 10-20% loading advantage. Which is like saying one loads in 8 seconds and the other in 10 seconds.

Not for the devs. We are seeing framerates dancing from 32 - 55% during photomode, be rest assured that during gameplay it would generally dip even lower than that and be more sporadic based on whats happening on screen. For what its worth, the 60fps mode probably averages above 85fps internally with drops to as low as 55fps lol. Devs love

But how though?

The PS5 has hardware accelerated decompression using Kraken and Oodle plays into that to the point the tools developers say it makes the retrieval of data on the PS5 even faster than the raw SSD speed indicates. The game being smaller on PS5 doesn't mean loading will be slower, if we are to believe Sony and Rad Game Tools it should make it even faster!

But loading isn't about raw SSD speed or compression blocks alone. The data has to go somewhere, memory speeds are orders of magnitude faster than the SSD. Both the PS5 and Xbox have fast memory, Xbox happens to be faster. Does that explain why the Xbox and PS5 appear to have similar I/O speeds in games? Probably not.

There's a great quote from one of the Rad Game Tools guys (that I can't find right now) basically stating that devs aren't going to be drag racing SSD's, they're about to find out how inefficient all their file I/O code and built-in helpers are.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Not for this game, but there are reasons and one of them is networking. Bungie already talked about the potential bottleneck. Want a example?
  • Game XY loads data of the SSD in 2 seconds on PS5
  • Game XY loads data of the SSD in 4 seconds on Xbox
  • Game XY needs 5-6 seconds for network and stuff.
How long will it load on those consoles? You be the judge!
Fair enough, but that only explains a scenario that we are looking at a network tied game. What about games like Assasins Creed? Or hitman? Or dirt 5?
I don't know how the loading process actually works, but if the game needs to load eg. 7GB of assets to render the first frame, but the first 500MB are the most crucial data that CPU will use to set up the engine and all the parameters, then the CPU will get that data in 0.2 seconds on XSX and 0.1 seconds on PS5, then will take 8 seconds to initialize the engine, loading the less important data in the meantime, resulting in the 8.1 second loading time on PS5 and 8.2 second loading time on XSX, ie. virtually identical.

It's possible I'm entirely wrong here, but such hypothetical scenario would explain what we are observing.
You aren't wrong at all, and that's mostly how it works. Mostly. Game critical data is loaded into RAM, and for the most part, it always stays in RAM. That's what the engine needs to set up its runtime environment on the platform. From that point onwards, its only pulling in relevant to what is happening (or about to happen). Think along the lines of fast traveling to anew place or loading a levelfor the first time and dying in the same level and restarting. In one case, an argument can be made that all the relevant data to initialize the level and load its assets needs to go into RAM, in the other? most of that data should already be in RAM.
It doesn't really work like that though. Not about averages.
But that's exactly how benchmarking works. It's literally about averages. Finding and focusing on the average performant value of any given hardware is 1000 times more meaningful data than isolating best-case or worst-case scenarios.

If I drop in rez to 1080p 1% o the time but average a resolution of 1800p 90% of the time and you NEVER drop to 1080p but average a resolution of 1440p 90% of the time... My image would always appear to be better than yours. Even though you may have higher bounds and never reach my lows. That is why averages are important.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Well, that's interesting. I wish more titles had unlocked options for framerate, since it's a good way to really push these new systems.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Does seem kind of crazy to not have a limit remover included even if it is hid from the end user.

If the system is setup for VRR then let that baby run. You don't even need to have it ad an option.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
No peak numbers are also not the way to go, I was just wondering why they are so high given the hardware we know about.
Let's say the average of the hardware is 16% for this argument, then you still get a smaller difference, if for example the CPU is the limitation or the demanding tasks in the scene benefit more from GPU frequency. You'll get a bigger diffence, if the tasks benefit from a wider GPU (more CU) and/or more RAM bandwith. Point is results will vary, depending on the demands of a particular scene and each consoles has their own benefits.

Last edited:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This video shows the consoles have the overhead to do a 1080p/60 FPS RTS mode if Remedy puts it in with optimizations.

I don't think this is true in this case.

Going by the video, the XSX has an advantage of 3% to 11% to 20% depending on a scene.

aukgccg.png
God damn! Beastly.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Always offer an unlocked framerate option, the benefits in controller response outweigh the frame judder, IMO.
A bit moot with Control having a locked 60fps mode but obviously a welcome benefit to RT mode.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting stuff. Seems the framerate difference lines up almost exactly to the teraflop difference.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I talked about the open FPS in the photo mode before here a few days ago and even thought, since it's the photo mode, that the graphical quality is even a bit higher in it as in gameplay.
When you turn the camera to a certain position where the head of her is very close and then you activate photo mode, you notice something changes and makes it look better.

So realistically outside of that photo mode with open fps, it should even run a bit better as in this benchmark, no?

By the way, someone like Digital Foundry who is in talk with devs, messages them and is responsible for some fixed quality issues in the past, should push more for the change of having games future proofed.
I know they did that before but recently there's not one single word about it anymore.
We simply need more simple options in games like this, like keep the quality mode, keep the performance mode, but also give us a simple fps toggle. That single thing would make this game future proof. Who knows if they will ever touch it again once this release is out of the release window and a simple open fps option would almost make sure that the ray tracing graphics mode would be locked 60 on a future PS5 Pro and Series XX or Z, or whatever this could be called.
This should be more pushed, there's no reason to not have this in every single game.
And if they don't want to confuse casual folks, fuck it, then hide it and let us geeks unlock it with the Konami code or some shit.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Sigh... knew that post would start warring...

We could also say "God Damn! The PS5 is $100 cheaper!", or start looking for games where the PS5 actually performed better.

Point is, this video, and data like this, isn't meant to be used the way some of you are trying to use it.

Calling the series x beastly isn't warring....it's a powerful piece of hardware.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
interesting results, I wonder how a more CPU intensive scenario could affect the performance profile of both consoles.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
I'm kinda surprised how good the Series X runs in that video. Will be interesting what developers - especially 1st party - can squeeze out of that sexy box in the future.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We could also say "God Damn! The PS5 is $100 cheaper!", or start looking for games where the PS5 actually performed better.

Point is, this video, and data like this, isn't meant to be used the way some of you are trying to use it.
How is saying a console is beastly "warring"? It's only warring to those with a bias, looking for an argument.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017

To be fair the PS5 beating the XSX in various games has already been brought up. With more words than "beastly" too. I didn't find either case to be warring but 🤷🏿‍♂️

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Dictator do you have any theories why the difference in fps between the two consoles is smallest on the heaviest part of the test (the "corridor of doom")?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Calling the series x beastly isn't warring....it's a powerful piece of hardware.
How is saying a console is beastly "warring"? It's only warring to those with a bias, looking for an argument.
To be fair the PS5 beating the XSX in various games has already been brought up. With more words than "beastly" too. I didn't find either case to be warring but 🤷🏿‍♂️
Let's not pretend like we don't know how these things go.

The issue isn't saying one is beastly or not. That true, hell I think for the money they both are.

It's handpicking screenshots like what was used in that post to make an argument for how there is some sort of great discrepancy between them. The same thing was done in some DF threads where the PS5 had some sort of advantage. Things like that does nothing but take away from what the whole point of the thread is really supposed to be about.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

The issue isn't saying one is beastly or not. That true, hell I think for the money they both are.

It's handpicking screenshots like what was used in that post to make an argument for how there is some sort of great discrepancy between them. The same thing was done in some DF threads where the PS5 had some sort of advantage. Things like that does nothing but take away from what the whole point of the thread is really supposed to be about.

This entire thread is about fps during photomode...seems appropriate.

I follow DF allot...and i don't remember another game having this particular benefit.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017

The post they quoted was more than a screenshot but, aight bruh. This is literally a waste of energy. Do your thing 👌🏿

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Which should never be the priority of any developer imo..VRR is a crutch for inconsistent performance. If a Dev is doing their job well it should not need VRR at all.

Why should a game be locked at 30 or 60 if there is overhead for more?

PC gamers aren't limited by console television refresh rates.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard horrible things about this corridor, both from DF and folks on ERA. I haven't gotten there yet in my PC playthrough but considering the Windows Store version that's on Gamepass has a bug that doesn't enable DLSS I'm sure it won't be pretty.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard horrible things about this corridor, both from DF and folks on ERA. I haven't gotten there yet in my PC playthrough but considering the Windows Store version that's on Gamepass has a bug that doesn't enable DLSS I'm sure it won't be pretty.
I think the PC GP version of the game now supports DLSS. Think Remedy tweeted about it recently.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
My guess is as the Xbox GDK matures the performance difference most expected before these systems launched will start to become the norm..maybe 15-20% better on Series X for most 3rd party stuff, which of course is nothing Earth shattering..but an advantage nonetheless.

As others have said Im more surprised the loading times are so close, maybe down the line Sony 1st party stuff will load significantly faster than MS' 1st party..obv too early to tell. Either way Series X SSD is certainly no slouch.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018

The point of the DF video is to put these consoles head to head in a like for like performance scenario. This is literally benchmarking the new consoles.