Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks great. Big improvement on the PS4 version.

Wasn't the biggest fan of Control tbh, but if nothing else I'm glad it's on Plus so I can finally get around to trying the DLC out without having to pay for it.

Amazing how many people drop in here, see the one PC settings screenshot and post a "lmao" or "wow" without watching the video. Honestly, I've come to expect that the first page of replies for any thread like this are just useless.

Digital Foundry threads are primarily system warrior threads.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I am a PC and console gamer. The problem with showing the graphic of PS5 using a lot of low settings is it paint a misleading picture, many of these settings have an absolutely minimal and sometimes entirely negligible impact on visual quality. This can be seen in the comparison screenshots in the article, the game doesn't actually look that different across specs. The main visual downgrades are lower internal resolution (e.g., pixelated hair) and lower resolution RT reflections.

Excuse me, we are here for the drama and 'lazy' accusations.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
qLO8qVk.png

9.2TF GPU doing work.
Oof.

So AMD uh.... any DLSS-like tech inbound for these machines? Lol

Don't get me wrong game looks great and I'm planning to play, but curious to see long term how RT plays into things this gen.

sonicdeth

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Really excited to play this. Had just started it last week on PC. But my rig is a little dated at this point, happy to start over on the PS5 with all the goodies enabled!

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
The examples that the video gave of ps5 Vs PC seemed quite minimal. Background circles being slightly less circular etc and weren't a big deal.

For Me, the overall difference between PS4 Pro and ps5 graphics mode were big, the lighting differences were great and would make a huge difference in a moment to moment perspective.

I haven't watched the video yet, will do later, but it's kinda expected tbh. Control is one of those games that look good even on lower settings, so it's no surprise if it looks good despite being on low settings on console. I don't remember if this is also one of those games that on previous gen console had lower than lowest pc settings, like RDR2. So gen on gen, console to console, low settings is still an improvement.

That said, it's also understandable that people are disapointed that a 2019 game on cutting edge consoles runs on lower settings, but it's just the compromises that have to be taken for such a game.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I see some people freaking out about settings here. This game is very expensive and has extremely high end effects work. RDNA 2.0 is not very good at ray tracing. They are targetting a high resolution at 60 or 30 fps. They decided, smartly, to keep the framerate high and stable at that resolution, which meant settings concessions.

Go checkout how this game runs at High with no RT on an RX 5700 XT if you want to see how PS5 will fair at higher settings (not well at 1440p).

Also people freaking out at low settings makes no sense - as tons of console games always run at low or lower than low settings. It is just that I do not make a video always covering every single release for people to freak about that fact about. Last gen, this was extremely common. This gen it will be the same. Consoles tend to favour higher resolution with lower settings in terms of design.
PS5 performance or quality mode?
This is for both modes - RT mode turns on the RT settings on the bottom.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
I mean... I'm glad I got the game for just 20€ on a sale and I'm waiting until tomorrow so I can play it on PS5 for the first time, but for sure they could've pushed the settings a little higher. Like come on, I can work with 30fps as long as they're stable, but 2160p is a real waste of resources.

EDIT: Well, guilty of reacting on just that image, I'll watch the whole thing later. If Dictator says it's good, it's good.

Last edited:

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
The only demanding feature is RT. Give me a quality mode option without RT so I can have the option to not be running on the lowest settings across the board everywhere else.

Yeah, specifically referring to the RT but I'm absolutely there with ya, a non-RT High Quality mode seems like it would've been a no--brainer.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I see some people freaking out about settings here. This game is very expensive and has extremely high end effects work. RDNA 2.0 is not very good at ray tracing. They are targetting a high resolution at 60 or 30 fps. They decided, smartly, to keep the framerate high and stable at that resolution, which meant settings concessions.

Go checkout how this game runs on an RX 5700 XT if you want to see how PS5 will fair at higher settings.
I appreciate that. They're working under the constraints of the platform. If anything it's a demerit for the consoles. Goes to show how those RT showcase multiplats are going to perform.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

Go checkout how this game runs at High with no RT on an RX 5700 XT if you want to see how PS5 will fair at higher settings (not well at 1440p).

Also people freaking out at low settings makes no sense - as tons of console games always run at low or lower than low settings. It is just that I do not make a video always covering every single release for people to freak about that fact about. Last gen, this was extremely common. This gen it will be the same. Consoles tend to favour higher resolution with lower settings in terms of design.
Yep. They're also ignoring how minimal the visual impact of the 'low' settings in question are. I played through this on my RTX 2080 Ti at 40 to 60 fps. I still plan on playing through it on console with RT, and I'm sure it'll be great experience.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
Looks great. Big improvement on the PS4 version.

Wasn't the biggest fan of Control tbh, but if nothing else I'm glad it's on Plus so I can finally get around to trying the DLC out without having to pay for it.

Echo this post 100%.

Just finished watching the video and it looks great, especially with the performance and resolution increase. Great video as usual DF.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the video and the game looked great considering it's running on a $400 console (and I have completed this game on a 3080). Were people expecting high end pc settings on console? Especially without DLSS?

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
Listen to this man, the actual expert. And watch the whole video. It's not that long.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
it's almost like it's reflecting wrong geometry, although i didn't think RT could do that?

It can. There's a similar good example I spotted with Cyberpunk in all the RT demos and even in the final game, where a "sex shop" sign has its reflection having a white box around it, as if there was a layer of the sign that is hidden normally but shown in the reflections mapped.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
That performance mode looks delicious to me as someone who just finished a 100% DLC run of Control on Xbox One X last night.

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021
Very disappointing, you can kinda understand them including it on PS+ now.

I'll play it as I didn't get the DLC on PC and it's "free", but yeah... not what I was hoping for :(

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you were buying a PC today, a RTX 2060 is definitely "mid range" (and that's being generous given it's over 2 years old now) and that's the level of performance we're approaching here.

On release the RTX 2060 on cost as much as a PS5 digital, and is still a similar price today.

A complete build with that card is going to be something like $1200.

And looking at the steam hardware survey that would be in the top ~15% of builds out there...

To me that's not low-midrange. And it's very impressive that the PS5 matches the performance of a PC's three times it's price.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I think I'm gonna stay out of DF video threads from now on if it's full of posts grunting neandathal sounding stuff like "oof". Reminds me too much of YouTube comment section.

Looked nice on PS4 pro, not amazing, but nice, so looking forward to finished the game using the PS5 version.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
After seeing the great texture and material work in Miles Morales, seeing a medium setting for this is a disappointment.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
really glad I didn't even attempt to run this on my 970/3570k :P.

Can't wait for that 60fps goodness.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017

This is for both modes - RT mode turns on the RT settings on the bottom.
Thank you. This is getting ridiculous.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I'm not a fan of DLSS either. As an option it's great but it really leads quite often to some weird looking games, at least when used at 1440p.

If consoles go down that road I hope it's only reserved as an optional toggle for ray tracing and doesn't become a characteristic of these systems in general.

Thank you.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Just watched the video and the game looked great considering it's running on a $400 console (and I have completed this game on a 3080). Were people expecting high end pc settings on console? Especially without DLSS?
People get so hung up on labels like 'low' and 'ultra' when there isn't any standardization for them. Judge the game as it looks on your screen, not on what the PC version called a given setting.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's the next-gen version of a last-gen game and it's running on almost all Low settings. How can one not be at least a little disappointed?
One could look at the video instead of a column of text. One could see that performance is stable, resolution is pretty good, and load times are great. One could compare it to the abysmal console versions instead of the completely idealized PC version running on machines 2-3 times the cost of a PS5. I don't know what people were expecting. This game barely ran on old consoles, and was pretty tough on PCs as well. It's the only PC game in 7 years I had to run on low settings and I still got huge frame drops in heavy action. This version is a huge improvement for console players and probably a superior experience for many, many PC players as well. Thought I'm not sure why they'd care that much in the first place.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of people are expecting too much from a game stuffed with cutting edge tech being developed by a small team for 9 consoles/systems

This. The fact the PS5 version is as stable as it is in both modes with all the physics going on is incredible. Dunno why so many are disappointed. This seems like a quality port and the way to play Control if you don't have a beefy PC.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
I think I'm gonna stay out of DF video threads from now on if it's full of posts grunting neandathal sounding stuff like "oof". Reminds me too much of YouTube comment section.

Looked nice on PS4 pro, not amazing, but nice, so looking forward to finished the game using the PS5 version.
This is literally 99% of Era topics and 100% of DF topics.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Almost at the "I'd have prefered if the devs didn't even tried than to play this atrocity" point, and the Series X video isn't even out yet...

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One could look at the video instead of a column of text. One could see that performance is stable, resolution is pretty good, and load times are great. One could compare it to the abysmal console versions instead of the completely idealized PC version running on machines 2-3 times the cost of a PS5. I don't know what people were expecting. This game barely ran on old consoles, and was pretty tough on PCs as well. It's the only PC game in 7 years I had to run on low settings and I still got huge frame drops in heavy action. This version is a huge improvement for console players and probably a superior experience for many, many PC players as well.
I did watch the video, in full. It's fine, I plan on playing it, but the unfortunate reality of modern Remedy games is that they run like garbage on all platforms, PC included.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
60fps looks amazing but man... the RT in this game even in the console version looks outstanding. Decisions...decisions...

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Is this just the PS4 Pro version with typical BC improvements (max Pro dynamic res, locked or better frame rate), or have they actually specifically tweaked the PS5 version?
It's a native PS5 port with RT, IO optimization and so on.
Listen to this man, the actual expert. And watch the whole video. It's not that long.
No lies detected and thanks for the analysis Dictator. I think the version looks good and is a RT showcase. The consoles are amazing, however a PC eats them for breakfast and the game with it's physics is very demanding.

Don't get me wrong there will be games, even from Remedy themselves that push the consoles more while delivering better results. But as always this takes time and a learning curve. Budget is more important than ever, too. For a smaller developer this is a good result, all things considered.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
A game could be all low and still look amazing, sheesh

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This. The fact the PS5 version is as stable as it is in both modes with all the physics going on is incredible. Dunno why so many are disappointed. This seems like a quality port and the way to play Control if you don't have a beefy PC.
One other thing I'd remind people too, is that Remedy haven't shown much interest in targeting native resolutions over impressive graphical effects (that their gameplay is often designed around) all the way back to Alan Wake on 360.

The volumetric lighting and atmospherics in Alan Wake weren't merely frosting. Same with the time dilation effects in Quantum Break. Remedy push specific features out further than most devs, but it's usually in service of their game design vs just trying to be fancy. If you're after pin sharp IQ... then yeah. This approach won't be for you.

But this has been their approach for quite a while now.

Why someone would expect Remedy to suddenly change this approach for a port of a game nonetheless I don't know either.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Without a dlss type implementation this is exactly the performance/settings ratio I was expecting. Great video DF.

yalk_dx

Nov 3, 2020
i think the most exciting part of this current gen port is the performance. even on a base PS4 the game impressed visually, so higher res + better gfx + smoother frame rate options has been the hope since it originally was announced.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
The 'lazy devs' and 'awful, shitty port' rhetoric here is fucking cringe. Embarrassing showing from some of you.

Amazing how many people drop in here, see the one PC settings screenshot and post a "lmao" or "wow" without watching the video. Honestly, I've come to expect that the first page of replies for any thread like this are just useless.

Watch the video. The PS5 version, by most accounts, looks and runs great, especially in comparison to the PS4 and Pro versions.
devs: make barely noticeable graphical sacrifices to ensure consistent, excellent performance

gamers: this sucks!
I am a PC and console gamer. The problem with showing the graphic of PS5 using a lot of low settings is it paint a misleading picture, many of these settings have an absolutely minimal and sometimes entirely negligible impact on visual quality. This can be seen in the comparison screenshots in the article, the game doesn't actually look that different across specs. The main visual downgrades are lower internal resolution (e.g., pixelated hair) and lower resolution RT reflections.

Agreed with all of these. From the footage that was shown, I was very impressed to be honest.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
The video and the tone of this thread are completely different? Did anyone actually watch the video instead of just reacting to that first post?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I think the problem here is that Control is technically a last-gen game and people expect that to run on higher settings on their shiny new console.

Then again, Control was pretty much already a next-gen game in 2019 minus the not so great character models. The consoles just weren't there yet.
People get so hung up on labels like 'low' and 'ultra' when there isn't any standardization for them. Judge the game as it looks on your screen, not on what the PC version called a given setting.
This is true. I literally can't see a difference between high and low on some of these settings when fiddling around on PC. Many things have become very technical, but not easily visible.

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
With everything ultra RT on highest quality setting dlss at 4k on 3080 strix. This is the only game that pushes it like that. More than Red Dead more than Cyberpunk in spots. Game is brutal in spots. It's up there for sure. But worth it when running like that. Pushes my gpu close to 80c with custom fan curve in some of those hallways.