• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Man that is depressing, surely the devs can do better than this ?

3D Fighting games and their engines have not been all that great this gen. Struggling to hit even 1080p on base machines, struggling to hit 60fps or a weird inbetween where nether performance or visuals are perfect on the mid gen machines.
The dedication to staying at a locked 60 imposes a performance requirement that no other genre has. So it's disappointing to see DoA6 break that contract without really setting the bar for fighting game graphics.

I will say that most fighting games this generation seem to be optimized well, at least on PC.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Asked this before in the preview thread, but it looks like to me that the gameplay speed doesn't slow down during framerate dips on the console versions. So the gameplay loop isn't tied to the framerate like it is on other fighting games?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
- Speaking of Soul Calibur, while costume materials indeed look better in this one than in DOA, in no world does Soul Calibur 6 look more impressive globally than DOA6 (or any fighting game this gen), that was a weird nitpick.

DOA6 looks much better than SC6 imo but I never really liked the visuals of SC6. I always hated the blurry backgrounds.

Overall it's my favorite 3D fighting game this gen and my favorite DOA yet. Even the music is great. Graphics mode should run fine on Xbox Two.

Really?

Beyond actual character polycount.
Soul Calibur 6 looks better pretty much everywhere else.

Lighting, Post effects, particles, textures....hell just everything cept the actual character polycount(not costumes where I think SC still takes it)

What parts of DOA beyond character polycount look better than SC6.

Im sure someone has both installed on their PC they can boot them up and check back to back quick fast.
I have SC6 on my computer, and my friend has DOA on his. We had this argument before so we played a bunch of DOA at his.
Then drove to mine to take a look at SC6.
And it makes DOA look like an early gen maybe even last gen remaster comparatively.

I dunno if its the flattish lighting or lack of newer GPU effects but DOA looks super weak.

Someone should start a Tekken 7 vs Soul Calibur 6 vs Dead or Alive 6 thread and lets get to the bottom of this.

P.S We both have GTX 1070s and we set the games as high as they will go.
Soul Calibur just looks more current gen than DOA.
Poly count is always nice though.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My two cents as someone that doesnt know much and only played both betas, SC6 looks more "flashy" or cool because it has more particle effects and shit. Even DOA5 has more particle effects than 6. Costumes are also more detailed (DOA looks really bad in that regard) and it looks overall more crisp (better AA perhaps).

Meanwhile DOA has higher poly and more detailed characters, and doesn't have that horrible HORRIBLE blur in the backgrounds, even if DOA backgrounds are pretty bad.

I dunno, it's kind of a toss up, I just really hate SC6 blurry backgrounds though.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
DOA5 looked so good on PS3 that i feel like people dismiss DOA6's visuals as last gen, it doesn't look that bad. though the first trailer for DOA6 did look like DOA5.5.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Freesync really does seem to suck below 50hz, maybe TV's should start using G-sync lol.

I am wrong actually.
https://www.displayninja.com/freesync-monitor-list/

But there are a lot of monitors that do not go below.
I see most 4k res monitors do start at 40 though.
However if you get below 40 as in this case you will have a bad experience.

My own 1080p one starts syncing at 48 hz.

So it really depends on what monitor one gets it seems.. I didn't find anyone below 48 hz when I went shopping but mine is connected to my PC and I don't play anything on it that goes below that. If it does I change my settings :)

Feb 8, 2018
DOA5 looked so good on PS3 that i feel like people dismiss DOA6's visuals as last gen, it doesn't look that bad. though the first trailer for DOA6 did look like DOA5.5.
Haven't watched the DF vid yet but while I've never played DOA5 I remember gameplay videos looking good for PS3. But even the DOA6 trailer I watched last week didn't look special or impressive to me.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The dedication to staying at a locked 60 imposes a performance requirement that no other genre has. So it's disappointing to see DoA6 break that contract without really setting the bar for fighting game graphics.

I will say that most fighting games this generation seem to be optimized well, at least on PC.

I'll be glad for next gen to arrive at this point, especially when games like Tekken and SC6 have moved to Unreal Engine, which current consoles seem to struggle with.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
On the topic of visual improvements from DOA5 to DOA6, I made these direct comparisons of Rig's character model in the returning stage "Sweat". Directly compared, and nost just going by memory of how the game looked (especially when its the memory of the already improved PS4 port of DOA5), there are very significant improvements:

47327716991_20030a63be_o.png

46604736304_56fc2a283a_o.png

47275224772_8ce1711ab6_o.png

Characters are also so much more expressive during fights now.
Thanks for the comparison pics. I always liked DOA5's model quality, but had issue with how skin looked so I feel DOA6 is a big improvement in that department.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
A bit off topic, but I wonder if MS could rethink the use of S-based hardware for XB1 games on xCloud.

I know there's an economic argument, and I'm sure they will cycle out that hardware eventually anyway, but in the meantime the performance of games served off S-based hardware could be quite unfavourable, and unhelpful for latency, vs other services.

Or to put it another way - if xCloud is indeed based on S hardware in its first iteration, you would think MS would have renewed focus now on trying to ensure decent S versions of games. I initially thought that this would be a saving grace for the S.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Great review. I loved DOA on the OG Xbox and played the shit out of DOA 4 at 360 launch.

Not sure if I'm in for DOA 6 but if I am, I'll certainly pick up on PC.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yes, even though they reused the exact same look for many characters from 5 they still pumped more polygons in them for a more rounded look:

More polygons are making the profile (especially the chin) rounder:

46647965414_a2c0fe835b_o.png

The hair (the two weird buns) got significantly more polygons as well:

33495017548_bd0e5ec3ae_o.png

Since Soul Calibur 6 was mentioned in here, that game did not improve the base models of any of the characters from SC4 or SC5. They have the same low polygon faces, hands, feet etc.
I wonder why Jan Lee got skipped in the hair treatment. Because JEEZ.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Some close ups of the nice character models, that put the blocky Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur 6 characters pretty much to shame (I was quite surprised why John said in the video they were on the same level as the SC6 ones):

46372712025_1532211cc3_o.png

46372711805_885c2798f0_o.png

46372711555_06c7bd66bc_o.png

47287258051_145166135f_o.png

47235158902_3cd14f1fa4_o.png

46564063584_f5594bb471_o.png

47287256941_5791e093a4_o.png

Photos taken by me on PS4 Pro. :)

Last edited: