• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
It's not full crossplay. It's fortnite crossplay. If i don't play with a pc friend i wont get a single pc player in my lobby. And that's the only way srsly.
its input based crossplay. controllers play together no matter their physical device and mouse keyboard play together no matter their physical device. controller players can opt in into the mouse keyboard pool by having someone using mouse keyboard in their party.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Their dynamic Res approach is really curious. They mix supersampled frames with lower res ones.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Their dynamic Res approach is really curious. They mix supersampled frames with lower res ones.

Preumably there is a higher upper limit of the dynamic res, so when you go from a frame of low load to high load and a lower resolution, the reconstruction has a better frame to work with and the high load reconstructed frame looks better as a result

you can even combine this with VRS and use a higher rate shaded image as reference and Combine it with a shader rate image ,pulling some of the missed data from the first frame

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Game looks rad. That night level with the nv goggles casting the shadows on your character, gun, and environment šŸ”„

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
What?

DragonBall Fighter Z and Guilty Gear look effectively identical.
And If I asked you which was which "engine" and asked you to describe what gave away which engine was which you would be lying.

Whenever Engine talk comes around I always marvel at people who "think" they can guess or tell engines apart by looking at game X.

Without googling since you can "see" the difference between engines.
Which one is UE4 which is UE3:
maxresdefault.jpg
This is a terrible example since both are unreal engine 3.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's a pretty good example since the person he's replying too claims that stuff like geometry (which is a really bad metric) and lighting effects are differentiators between engines. and in the span of one game, Netherrealm had everyone fooled that MK11 was UE4

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Is there any high quality footage about? YouTube shits on everything it touches and honestly, it just looks like any other CoD to me.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
-"Spectral Rendering" for the use of night vision goggles. Thermal, UV, and IR values are a part of the world and accurately reflected when the imaging requires it

As someone who has quite a bit of experience with actual spectral rendering in offline renderers, I'm confused as to why this term is being used by who I assume to be the devs that relayed this information.

Spectral rendering completely ditches computing with RGB values, and simulates light physics at the wavelength level, which is useful in path tracing when there are cases of light dispersion through prisms, thin oil films/bubbles, and phase shifts through iridescent materials like butterfly wings.

Modifying the reflectance values to be confined within a limited RGB range/scope for rasterized images (as it appears to be the case in this game) is not the same thing as spectral rendering, and I can't help but think the devs are trying to tout this as a feature of their engine in order to make it seem more impressive than it actually is (not to say that the engine isn't impressive, but claiming that the renderer uses spectral rendering is not necessary). True faithful spectral rendering is not possible at interactive rates on console hardware and there's a reason for that; it's incredibly computationally expensive, even for supercomputers. Before you can break down the wavelengths, you need light rays bouncing around and dispersing in the first place, and the game is obviously not fully rendered via ray-tracing or path tracing.

And finally, there really isn't a need for spectral rendering in video games when RGB conversions can be indistinguishable from their wavelength counterparts, so the incentive to push towards a standard of spectral rendering is non-existent.

And to be clear, I'm not knocking DF for their use of the term - they're just the messengers - but I think it's important to be clear about what technology is and what it isn't in order to prevent misinformation.

EDIT:

One thing I could see the devs doing to justify the claim of "spectral rendering" is to simply assign a single discrete wavelength per ray being shot out. This gets around the complicated physics of breaking down the dispersion of wavelengths per ray when rays intersect with different materials, and focuses on a desired effect within a specific color range. Still not actual spectral rendering, but I'd give it a pass as a hack in the same sense that I give "PBR" a pass for being "physically based".

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
It's crazy to me that people can watch the footage of this game running at 60FPS on a console and act unimpressed. Like, what games are you playing? It's an easily noticeable improvement over even last years' CoD game.

trugc

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who has quite a bit of experience with actual spectral rendering in offline renderers, I'm confused as to why this term is being used by who I assume to be the devs that relayed this information.

Spectral rendering completely ditches computing with RGB values, and simulates light physics at the wavelength level, which is useful in path tracing when there are cases of light dispersion through prisms, thin oil films/bubbles, and phase shifts through iridescent materials like butterfly wings.

Modifying the reflectance values to be confined within a limited RGB range/scope for rasterized images (as we see in this game) is not the same thing as spectral rendering, and I can't help but think the devs are trying to tout this as a feature of their engine in order to make it seem more impressive than it actually is (not to say that the engine isn't impressive, but claiming that the renderer uses spectral rendering is not necessary). True faithful spectral rendering is not possible at interactive rates on console hardware and there's a reason for that; it's incredibly computationally expensive, even for supercomputers. Before you can break down the wavelengths, you need light rays bouncing around in the first place, and the game is obviously not fully rendered via ray-tracing or path tracing.

And finally, there really isn't a need for spectral rendering in video games when RGB conversions can be indistinguishable from their wavelength counterparts, so the incentive to push towards a standard of spectral rendering is non-existent.

And to be clear, I'm not knocking DF for their use of the term - they're just the messengers - but I think it's important to be clear about what technology is and what it isn't in order to prevent misinformation.
They stated somewhere that it's a PBR extension mainly used for NVG. Besides common BRDF for visible lights materials also cover range beyond RGB values. Might also be useful for Fresnel color shifts of metal material.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
They stated somewhere that it's a PBR extension mainly used for NVG. Besides common BRDF for visible lights materials also cover range beyond RGB values. Might also be useful for Fresnel color shifts of metal material.

I edited my post and also added this:

One thing I could see the devs doing to justify the claim of "spectral rendering" is to simply assign a single discrete wavelength per ray being shot out. This gets around the complicated physics of breaking down the dispersion of wavelengths per ray when rays intersect with different materials, and focuses on a desired effect within a specific color range. Still not actual spectral rendering, but I'd give it a pass as a hack in the same sense that I give "PBR" a pass for being "physically based".

So yeah, I can see them using a spectral rendering hack, in the way I described, but technically it still falls short of the algorithms used in renderers like Octane since it isn't a true physics simulation. At best, I find it misleading, and at worst, misinformation. Again, not really DF's fault, but the devs should know better.

And if you have a source for their comments on spectral rendering that would be great.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
-Game uses a wildly dynamic resolution per frame combined with temporal reconstruction to maintain 60fps performance
-Actually uses variable rate shading on current consoles!
-The motion blur hides these shifts while not being too much to be distracting
-Team targets 70fps to account for overhead

Very exciting stuff here. I think going into next-gen techniques likes these are going to pay off huge. If the eye can't see or notice certain things in motion (like resolution changes or shading detail), why waste resources doing them the "full fat" way? I think the more developers take into account how our eyes work and process moving images, the better off we'll be.

trugc

Oct 28, 2017
I edited my post and also added this:

So yeah, I can see them using a spectral rendering hack, in the way I described, but technically it still falls short of the algorithms used in renderers like Octane since it isn't a true physics simulation. At best, I find it misleading, and at worst, misinformation. Again, not really DF's fault, but the devs should know better.

And if you have a source for their comments on spectral rendering that would be great.
IIRC Michal Drobot(Their lead rendering engineer) talked about it on Twitter when the game was announced.
I won't call it a hack as it might require quite some efforts at engineering level. Anyway, we probably need to wait until next year's GDC or SIGGRRAPH to see if they will release some implementation details.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Please be well optimized for pc...please. it all sounds so good

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
IIRC Michal Drobot(Their lead rendering engineer) talked about it on Twitter when the game was announced.

Thank you.

I won't call it a hack as it might require quite some efforts at engineering level. Anyway, we probably need to wait until next year's GDC or SIGGRRAPH to see if they will release some implementation details.

All visual computing is hackery in a sense; real-time rendering even moreso. Nothing wrong with that. We should be proud of cheating our way to realistic results, not pretending that we're doing something that we're not, purely to generate buzz.

That isn't to see that there isn't any effort behind these technologies and I'm not trying to downplay that, but when implausible claims are being made, a good dose of reality is important to have.

EDIT:

Per Michal's Twitter post, the DF article back in May is where details about the engine was provided:

And looking at the info in the article about it...

Also impressive is the inclusion of what's described as 'spectral rendering' - a system that sees Call of Duty render everything in real-time beyond the visible light spectrum, encompassing infrared and thermal heat radiation. The objective here is very straightforward: lighting is extremely important in Modern Warfare, with levels authored with multiple lighting bakes that blend depending on which light sources are active and which are not. Some lighting conditions make the use of IR goggles essential, with the new system ensuring that night vision rendering is highly realistic, to the point where the light cast by the the goggles themselves is present in the scene (along with the IR reflective markers sewn into uniforms). There are gameplay opportunities here too - switching on lights can temporarily blind those wearing night vision headgear.

The integration of thermal heat radiation mapping also pays off and again, the commitment to realism is impressive. Not only are target and environment temperatures accurately rendered, the game even simulates the low resolution sensors of the various thermal equipment in use throughout, even using a reverse-JPEG algorithm to accurately render compression artefacts.

it seems as if the term 'spectral rendering' isn't being used in the same sense that it is in offline renderers. Technically, spectral rendering in the sense of path traced rays bouncing around and being dispersed isn't required, if the goal is only to realistically represent reflectance values for materials outside of the visible spectrum. So basically, it's a buzzword for realistic looking thermal and night vision. I expect other devs to jump on board with the term as well, if it gains traction. Still doesn't have anything to do with how spectral rendering works in offline renderers though.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Err thats kind of my point.
The posters metrics for telling engines is broken by those 2 games as both are using UE3. But the differences between them pass the posters metrics 100% which would imply that from sight MK11 must be UE4?

Ohh someone already said it better:
it's a pretty good example since the person he's replying too claims that stuff like geometry (which is a really bad metric) and lighting effects are differentiators between engines. and in the span of one game, Netherrealm had everyone fooled that MK11 was UE4

Exactly.
There are few telltales of engines these days and people who claim to be able to tell engines just by looking at a game are either very very very very skilled or lying.

Looking at CODMW and saying I dont "see" how this is a new engine....isnt really saying anything when one cant really see differences in engines in general.
The poster can say they dislike the artstyle and/or direction which is fair....but to say "ohh this is the same shit, i can see no new engine"...then go on to claim their "expertise" at identifying engines by sight is from looking at geometry and lighting effects used.
Which im sure youll agree is ridiculous......but just to add insult to injury so to say...this COD compared to Infinite Warfare has much better geometry being that its all photogrammetry and much better lighting with a large percentage of lights in the game being volumetric which were jasius metrics for sight identification of engines in the first place.
I get so confused sometimes by what people post when they just need to be negative.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Err thats kind of my point.
The posters metrics for telling engines is broken by those 2 games as both are using UE3. But the differences between them pass the posters metrics 100% which would imply that from sight MK11 must be UE4?

Ohh someone already said it better:

Exactly.
There are few telltales of engines these days and people who claim to be able to tell engines just by looking at a game are either very very very very skilled or lying.

Looking at CODMW and saying I dont "see" how this is a new engine....isnt really saying anything when one cant really see differences in engines in general.
The poster can say they dislike the artstyle and/or direction which is fair....but to say "ohh this is the same shit, i can see no new engine"...then go on to claim their "expertise" at identifying engines by sight is from looking at geometry and lighting effects used.
Which im sure youll agree is ridiculous......but just to add insult to injury so to say...this COD compared to Infinite Warfare has much better geometry being that its all photogrammetry and much better lighting with a large percentage of lights in the game being volumetric which were jasius metrics for sight identification of engines in the first place.
I get so confused sometimes by what people post when they just need to be negative.

certain engines do tend to have a specific look tho. unreal engine 3 and 4 for sure do. now some games may be an exception due to a lot of dev effort, but theres tons of UE3 and UE4 games that all look very similar

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
certain engines do tend to have a specific look tho. unreal engine 3 and 4 for sure do. now some games may be an exception due to a lot of dev effort, but theres tons of UE3 and UE4 games that all look very similar

UE3 and UE4 games have a specific look?
Beyond people not changing the default lightmass options few times do engines give themselves away in a way that someone can just look and say ohh thats def engine X.
Earlier UE3 games had major tell tell signs but UE4 beyond "that" lighting and texture popin issues is very hard to actual discern, maybe the stock particle system? As for Frostbite it does a good job of hiding itself.
Unity even worse....looking at Unity games its hard to tell its the Unity engine.
But thats neither here nor there looking at CODMW and saying I cant see the new engine isnt saying much.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
its input based crossplay. controllers play together no matter their physical device and mouse keyboard play together no matter their physical device. controller players can opt in into the mouse keyboard pool by having someone using mouse keyboard in their party.

I still can't believe this is happening, if only because I can't think of another game that's experimented with such a cross-platform unifying method. (Shadowrun on GFWL/360 certainly didn't try anything of the sort with its cross-plat multiplayer so many years ago.) Plus, IW suggests that if the game detects ANY change of input on either platform, it'll DQ/freeze the offending user (to block any attempts to sneak kb+m into gamepad pools). I'm curious how long it'll take for users to game the system and sneak kb+m anyway, but it's still fascinating that they're trying it.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Iirc if you use gamepad on the PC version then you do crossplay with console players

Thank you. I will skip it now. This is easily exploitable. I won't play against m+kb players. Fu Iw consoles had enough players as it is and now we will get a worse experience. That's a big nope.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you. I will skip it now. This is easily exploitable. I won't play against m+kb players. Fu Iw consoles had enough players as it is and now we will get a worse experience. That's a big nope.
What? No. You misunderstand: if you try to switch to another input method mid-match, the game won't accept input from it. If you play controller on PC, you must use a controller for the duration of the match where you queued in with a gamepad.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What? No. You misunderstand: if you try to switch to another input method mid-match, the game won't accept input from it. If you play controller on PC, you must use a controller for the duration of the match where you queued in with a gamepad.

I played on pc for several years and i can tell you for sure that ppl will find a way around the system in no time. Iw is really really naive if they think they can stop it. But Iam sure they know but it's just shit PR so the console guys buy it anyway.

In addition even if it works as intended than any m+kb player will have an even smaller playerbase as with previous titles šŸ˜‚.

Last edited:

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
UE3 and UE4 games have a specific look?
Beyond people not changing the default lightmass options few times do engines give themselves away in a way that someone can just look and say ohh thats def engine X.
Earlier UE3 games had major tell tell signs but UE4 beyond "that" lighting and texture popin issues is very hard to actual discern, maybe the stock particle system? As for Frostbite it does a good job of hiding itself.
Unity even worse....looking at Unity games its hard to tell its the Unity engine.
But thats neither here nor there looking at CODMW and saying I cant see the new engine isnt saying much.

There are countless UE4 games that within seconds of seeing them you just know its UE4. It was the same last gen with UE3

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I played on pc for several years and i can tell you for sure that ppl will find a way around the system in no time. Iw is really really naive if they think they can stop it. But Iam sure they know but it's just shit PR so the console guys buy it anyway.

In addition even if it works as intended than any m+kb player will have an even smaller playerbase as with previous titles šŸ˜‚.
Epic Games doesn't seem to have much of an issue, and Fortnite uses the same system.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Epic Games doesn't seem to have much of an issue, and Fortnite uses the same system.

Are you sure there is no way to do it in fornite? Well it is certainly possible. Besides Fortnite anti cheat seems so be quite good compared to the shit call of duty did over the years. Every call of duty had alot of cheater on pc. Is it a good thing to force crossplay with pc? No it should be an option and off by default.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

We have to hope, but we know people will circumvent it.
But a good number wont.
Its the same with XIM, the tools exist to catch XIM usage, devs just dont bother actually using it. (Ill have to find the article explaining this but its early in the morning for me so quote me so I remember this later)
So if IW are serious about it, they could and are probably banking on the utilities catching input switchers.

If the game will lock inputs at match start, then maybe the effort to circumvent will stop people from bothering (not all obviously) but atleast enough to keep the gamepad(crossplay) community together.
As for the PC community being worse than before, I disagree.....because if anything them catching XIM inputs and M&Kb inputs will keep the PC/XIM crowd going there are a bunch of XIM users out there and a bunch of PC users who have wanted to play with a gamepad having us all in one pool should....should keep the community going.......only time will tell.

There are countless UE4 games that within seconds of seeing them you just know its UE4. It was the same last gen with UE3

Really?
Maybe ive played too many varied games and messed about too much with UE4 and other engines (offline renderers included) that for me its hard to directly catch "hell yeah this is UE4" it used to be the borderline stock shaders and lighting which sold UE4 out, but quickily into UE4s dev cycle i stopped seeing the telltale signs of UE4 beyond the particle system which other engines at this point have matched almost directly.

So after the first initial batch of UE4 games, which games did you look at and immediately know were UE4....and this is not a call out, its more a research question, cuz im deciding between two engines right now and one option is UE4 but I dont want to fall in the category of "its another UE4 game" in terms of looks. I know this is off topic but your opinion matters. And itll also help with which feature set i should utilize should i use UE4 (Im not source code editing unless absolutely necessary and we are under a 7 man team basically 5 artists 2 CS majors and a consultant(big boss) on and off in the IT industry)

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But a good number wont.
Its the same with XIM, the tools exist to catch XIM usage, devs just dont bother actually using it. (Ill have to find the article explaining this but its early in the morning for me so quote me so I remember this later)
So if IW are serious about it, they could and are probably banking on the utilities catching input switchers.

If the game will lock inputs at match start, then maybe the effort to circumvent will stop people from bothering (not all obviously) but atleast enough to keep the gamepad(crossplay) community together.
As for the PC community being worse than before, I disagree.....because if anything them catching XIM inputs and M&Kb inputs will keep the PC/XIM crowd going there are a bunch of XIM users out there and a bunch of PC users who have wanted to play with a gamepad having us all in one pool should....should keep the community going.......only time will tell.

You do have a point. I just don't buy into a promise. If it's still great in a year maybe i will join the club, but there are lots of variables.

Input detection
Cheater
Higher res and frames. And to an extent lower graphical settings. Will they lock everything for an even playerfield. Why would i have to Player against someone with 144fps.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
So far so good I just hoped the game isn't ruined post launch.

I am pretty tempted to pick this up day 1

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
But a good number wont.

Really?
Maybe ive played too many varied games and messed about too much with UE4 and other engines (offline renderers included) that for me its hard to directly catch "hell yeah this is UE4" it used to be the borderline stock shaders and lighting which sold UE4 out, but quickily into UE4s dev cycle i stopped seeing the telltale signs of UE4 beyond the particle system which other engines at this point have matched almost directly.

So after the first initial batch of UE4 games, which games did you look at and immediately know were UE4....and this is not a call out, its more a research question, cuz im deciding between two engines right now and one option is UE4 but I dont want to fall in the category of "its another UE4 game" in terms of looks. I know this is off topic but your opinion matters. And itll also help with which feature set i should utilize should i use UE4 (Im not source code editing unless absolutely necessary and we are under a 7 man team basically 5 artists 2 CS majors and a consultant(big boss) on and off in the IT industry)

A bunch of recent mid/low budget Japanese games are all instantly recognizable as UE4. Theres a ton of random early access open world/survival type games that are also instantly recognizable as UE4. Honestly, outside of the first party efforts of sony and microsoft in days gone/gears of war, the vast majority of games on UE4 have 1 of the 2 similar looks i see all the time on this engine. The fortnite stylized look, and the awful attempted realism look

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
You do have a point. I just don't buy into a promise. If it's still great in a year maybe i will join the club, but there are lots of variables.

Input detection
Cheater
Higher res and frames. And to an extent lower graphical settings. Will they lock everything for an even playerfield. Why would i have to Player against someone with 144fps.
Some effects are locked for balance sake.

Higher res and frames cant be something counted.
Otherwise we would have to lock PS4Pro and Xbox One X users away from the base consoles.
Hell we would have to lock consoles connected to freesync monitors.
Wait we would also have lock base consoles connected to 1080p monitors as thats an advantage versus the current most popular resolution 768p (Steam stats).
We would also have to kick everyone who is away from the white phosphurs when it drops as those alpha effects will drop frames for everyone nearby but not the people further away.....so they have an advantage - kick them.

So you see that isnt an issue.
As for cheating and what not....thats blown way way out of proportion by people it exists but it isnt super prevalent.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I meant to say, I'm off work at the moment and if anybody would like a low price calibration doing (midlands/london) just let me know.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017

CoD's usually easier to play with gamepad because of the generous auto aim. I could actually see a lot of PC players picking up a controller, especially since the non TDM modes tend to die off quickly on PC.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
VRS on current consoles is interesting since these don't have hardware support for that. Edit: they say it's a software implementation of it, cool
We actually used an earlier, more limited version of this technique on Infinite Warfare, I'm not sure if Michal talked about it publicly though (or if Johan thought of it originally, been a while). It's not strictly true to call it just a software technique, either, the details are pretty complicated. Michal is pretty excited about it so I imagine you'll see us publish around it next year.

OP
OP
RoboPlato

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
We actually used an earlier, more limited version of this technique on Infinite Warfare, I'm not sure if Michal talked about it publicly though (or if Johan thought of it originally, been a while). It's not strictly true to call it just a software technique, either, the details are pretty complicated. Michal is pretty excited about it so I imagine you'll see us publish around it next year.
That's really cool! I look forward to reading the details!

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Was it in the pc version?

OP
OP
RoboPlato

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
BTW is there any footage that isn't super compressed? All the capture I've seen from this event is very low bitrate

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Any chance we will get some free cam tools for SP? I made my own console commands for Advanced Warfare and got some dope pics

16930830321_593027be34_o.png
16313613713_31c4d50518_o.png

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Very interesting thanks for this info, looking forward to hearing more about it from you guys. Hopefully we also get more info on Raytracing audio too :)