• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Interesting.

Still feel this game is a tad overrated on here though.

Will buy again on Switch.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
lol another first-party non-native handheld resolution, bummer.

I wonder how noticeable it is in reality though.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
The few enhancements and slightly additions are not enough to justify buying it again since I already have it on Wii U. I'll pass on this.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
What about the load times? Any better? I had the game downloaded on wii u and it took a while to load a stage

Quakeguy

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
648p on new hardware in 2018

qdRpb.gif

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting.

Still feel this game is a tad overrated on here though.

It's an unbelievably polished and aesthetically pleasing platformer, but not really groundbreaking, which is where the disconnect comes from, I think. A point in its favor is that so few games have copied the weightiness of DK platforming since the original games, though.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's what I'd like to know, lol. This is the first Wii U port to get a downgrade in handheld mode.

Minecraft got a draw distance downgrade in handheld mode. Maybe they worked on the docked mode and then realised that downclocking the system had more issues than they thought? I don't think that this will be patched.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Yes, but not Wii U to Switch ports of games that were already 720p on Wii U lol

Especially if it runs at full 1920x1080 in docked mode...like, what's the problem in handheld?
Yeah but it goes from 480p on U screen to 648p on Switch ;^)

Idk it could be the Switch bandwith limitations are worse than we imagined, or they decided to trade in res for batteryblife

Oct 29, 2017
WTF!? This is the first Wii U port to run worse in handheld mode than on the original console! What happened!?

Docked performance is exactly what I expected, but what happened in handheld mode!?

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
It's still 90% of handheld mode's native resolution, that's not bad at all. Just a bit odd, since docked is a full 1080p.

Are there any other games that run at 1080p docked, but less than 720p in handheld?

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
WTF!? This is the first Wii U port to run worse in handheld mode than on the original console! What happened!?

Docked performance is exactly what I expected, but what happened in handheld mode!?

Well, games on Switch handheld often run the same or even slightly worse compared to their Wii U counterparts. Bayonetta games are a good example (in the late game you can get serious drops in handheld mode, that are even worse than they were on Wii U). Breath of the Wild ran better but there were still places that tanked the framerate.

It's still 90% of handheld mode's native resolution, it's not that bad. Just a bit odd, since docked is a full 1080p.

Are there any other games that run at 1080p docked, but less than 720p in handheld?

Dragon Quest 1+2

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Yeah but it goes from 480p on U screen to 648p on Switch ;^)
Your point being?

It's a port, more expensive than the original release, that can't run at the same res as the original release while in handheld mode. That's..not very good.

I'm still gonna buy it, but ouch

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good though I own the Wii U version and plan on holding off on the Switch version for a while.

Also I find it funny at all the negative hot takes when DF was so positive on the port from my interpretation.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds pretty good overall.

I don't really mind about 648p handheld, it will be barely noticeable while playing.

Reduced loadings are a godsend.

EDIT: Holy shit this thread already lol, people will nitpick the smallest things to call this unacceptable.