• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
On paper, yes. But with a 4K output and DLSS at Balanced or Quality, or native.... I would say no. It only reduces resolution for short bursts during heavy scenes, and I'd argue a few dropped frames would be more noticable. DRS has no impact on the image when you have enough power to hit the performance target.

Doom is such a fast paced game, and playing on a TV I could only tell DRS was doing anything because the performance metrics said so.

On my 3080 with all of the tweaks in the DF video @4k with DLSS quality and DRS I go between 60-120, it normally averages about 80, that seems pretty low doesn't it?

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
On my 3080 with all of the tweaks in the DF video @4k with DLSS quality and DRS I go between 60-120, it normally averages about 80, that seems pretty low doesn't it?

As stated in the video the RT tweaks are quite heavy so that's probably about right. DRS isn't doing anything in your case so you could just disable it.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
No idea why people keep thinking nvidia is intel, while also overlooking ampere was their intel moment, the samsung 8nm misstep should have been punished harder by amd. But they sacrificed their chance to increase gpu market share by selling the supply they could have used to make more gpus to sony and let nvidia gain market share.
Ampere was not their Intel moment, considering they performed a pretty decent generational jump in performance above what many people expected. They also trounced AMD by going more into waht every passing year seems more likely to be the future of GPUs (AI cores).
The "Intel moment" would have been a 2080-Super-Super (a Super version of the cards isnt that big of a deal if they follow the tick-TOCK approach with new gens every 2-3 years).

AMD wouldnt increase their market share vs Ampere.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting to see consoles still lowering AF levels. I always thought this would be the gen where we would get 16x AF for free always

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
With Dictator tweaked settings on a 3080 with a 5900x and 32gb of 3600 ram I find myself dipping into the 70-80% range of DRS quite often in gore nests and such.

This is everything set to ultra nightmare and DLSS on quality with DRS set to 60fps @ 4k res.

Looks incredible but isn't a stable 60 just with DLSS, DSR is needed, at least on my system?

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
With Dictator tweaked settings on a 3080 with a 5900x and 32gb of 3600 ram I find myself dipping into the 70-80% range of DRS quite often in gore nests and such.

This is everything set to ultra nightmare and DLSS on quality with DRS set to 60fps @ 4k res.

Looks incredible but isn't a stable 60 just with DLSS, DSR is needed, at least on my system?

Doesn't seem worth it to me. 120+ fps and higher resolution > better-looking reflections.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017

Didn't the video say not to use ultra nightmare settings because it's not worth it or do I remember wrong?

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
If you compare DLSS to the baseline of not using it, it's impressive, but, for example, Sony first parties are already using very good reconstruction techniques (not as good as DLSS, sure), and Ratchet and Clank is currently the best looking game on any platform. (Demons Souls and Miles Morales and soon Forza Horizon 5 are up there too)

Holding a magnifying glass up in slow motion to some reflections bolted on to a frankly, just decent looking last gen game running on a graphics card that costs 3x as much as a console, on a system that probably puts out twice the wattage while Canada is on fire isn't really selling me on the "nvidia alternative", but enjoy your victory lap.
Dude try not to take these things so personally. I also don't think a 2060 costs twice as much as a console

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
It is the bloody 9th gen of consoles and the Anisotrophic Filtering is still unequivocally subpar on numerous cross-gen titles. I was playing ME1 Remake on XSX recently and I could not believe just how poor the texture filtering was.

Shouldn't PS5's UMA 448GB/s and XSX's 560GB/s (+ 336GB/s for CPU side) of GDDR6 be enough to implement decent (at least 8x) AF?

In fairness ME LE doesn't have an actual next-gen version. If they made one, I wouldn't be surprised if it really did bring 16x AF.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this game looks amazing with RTX. Part of me wishes I could afford a 3060 just to finally grab this game and play through it with both RTX and KB+M controls. Then another part of me remembers cleanly finishing a DOOM 2016 playthrough on my newly bought GTX 1060 back when I was in college, and finding out there were only like two other games out that justified my card purchase. I ended up selling that card shortly after, and not regretting it. This time, I will probably just wait a few more years on this game, until raytracing is more developed and affordable. Cannot deny the difference it makes though. I remember being confused as to why this game did not launch with RTX support, but now I think it was a smart call on id's part.

Feb 9, 2018
I have this for Xbox. I've been holding off on playing it until this update came out. Looks like as good of a time as any to start it.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
It is the bloody 9th gen of consoles and the Anisotrophic Filtering is still unequivocally subpar on numerous cross-gen titles. I was playing ME1 Remake on XSX recently and I could not believe just how poor the texture filtering was.

Shouldn't PS5's UMA 448GB/s and XSX's 560GB/s (+ 336GB/s for CPU side) of GDDR6 be enough to implement decent (at least 8x) AF?

It makes zero sense. I've been using 16x AF since the PC version of GTA3 came out and even then on my awful GeForce MX440 it had almost no performance hit whatsoever. Upgraded to a Radeon X800 Pro for Half-Life 2 and once again, no performance hit. I wish a dev could explain why something so trivial on PC that impacts IQ so much is apparently so hard to implement on consoles no matter how powerful they get.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this game looks amazing with RTX. Part of me wishes I could afford a 3060 just to finally grab this game and play through it with both RTX and KB+M controls. Then another part of me remembers cleanly finishing a DOOM 2016 playthrough on my newly bought GTX 1060 back when I was in college, and finding out there were only like two other games out that justified my card purchase. I ended up selling that card shortly after, and not regretting it. This time, I will probably just wait a few more years on this game, until raytracing is more developed and affordable. Cannot deny the difference it makes though. I remember being confused as to why this game did not launch with RTX support, but now I think it was a smart call on id's part.
miners are about to flood the market in china from the looks of things. prices are coming down

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It makes zero sense. I've been using 16x AF since the PC version of GTA3 came out and even then on my awful GeForce MX440 it had almost no performance hit whatsoever. Upgraded to a Radeon X800 Pro for Half-Life 2 and once again, no performance hit. I wish a dev could explain why something that impacts IQ so much is apparently so hard to implement on consoles no matter how powerful they get.
Look no further.
Digital Foundry vs console texture filtering • Eurogamer.net

Hoddi

Mar 29, 2021
That's a great and very comprehensive video. Doom Eternal was very much an early taste of 'next-gen' games as far as disk IO is concerned. The game is only ~70GB in size and yet will still perform 40-50GB of disk reads in a single mission.

The video didn't address this but lowering the texture streaming pool size also has a direct effect on disk IO. I'd be very curious to see how the lowest setting affects slower HDDs since it increased the amount of disk reads by ~50% when I tested it on my own PC.

Hagedesu

Jul 6, 2021
The XBOX SX version seems to use some ONE X version textures
XBOX SX
571QzJV.jpg

ONE X
atW9MCB.jpg

PS5
EU7P34I.jpg

Jul 7, 2021
Wow, DLSS is going to make Nvidia's GPUs punch well above their weight for the entirety of this generation, aren't they?

Amazing.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
A little LTTP here, but i just re-installed this game to check out the RT features, and holy SHIT its impressive!

Im getting 120fps at 1080p on a GTX 2060 SUPER. Feels like magic (at least I think so. Im not a big PC gamer type person)

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Uhhh I'm having a very weird issue with my 3070

Setting DLSS to Quality DROPS My performance from 144 FPS to around 45

???????????????????????????????????????

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

sounds like the same issue that was brought up in the video. turning it off and then back on fixes the issue. id has to patch a proper fix though

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy

Sorry to quote but this is still an issue even on 6.66 patch, when you enable DLSS the framerate tank hard.
To fix it you have to change a graphic setting (like shadows) to low and then raise it again just to "refresh" the engine and have a proper framerate.

My issue is that even after fixing the frame drop I still don't gain a single FPS from DLSS.
From performance to quality I get ZERO impact on the game.
Resolution stay the same, framerate stay the same, it just doesn't work... did they completely broke it with the new patch or I miss something?

Maybe Dictator can give it a look? I appreciated your DF video so I was trying to get some other fps with the 2060. Thanks :)