• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Formula One is back once again and Tom Morgan is here with your complete technical breakdown on the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series versions of the game, with added PC material to get a view on how the ray tracing implementation stacks up across systems. 60Hz and 120Hz testing across all console platforms is here, including Series S... and it's looking great!
  • largely the same as last year
  • 4K/60fps on top end, 1080p/60fps on series s
  • some more bloom and visual touches
  • track changes, though more due to actual changes to the real courses
  • RT engages outside of gameplay and at 30fps (only in garage, menus, replays)
  • Series X/S seems to have RT reflections in some instances while PS5 doesn't
    • however PC has SSR in the same instance while maxed out (RT on)
    • possibly a bug
  • PC on maxe settings still uses SSR and cubemaps
  • PS5 has a reflections glitch
  • RT reflections on Series S is not native
  • on PC, RT transparencies are a new addition, subtle in gameplay unlike other RT effects
  • Titan RTX needs DLSS for 4K
    • ~45fps at 4K/DLSS Quality
  • DLSS is a must for maxed out PC
  • many VR headsets supported now, no PSVR support
  • FSR 2.0 coming in the future
  • 60fps is pretty much perfect on all consoles
  • 120hz mode on PS5/Series X again
    • Series X has issues with screen tearing

Last edited:

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
XSX/XSS have RT in the cockpit but on PC/PS5 it's SSR, with the suggestion it is a bug. PS5 has a weird shadow bug in the menus that causes rainbow artifacts. XSX version has screen tearing in 120fps mode alleviated by VRR. No RT in races. PS5/XSX are 4k, and XSS is 1080p.

All versions have a locked framerate in both 60fps mode and 120fps mode.

PC version is very demanding and his Titan RTX couldn't hold a 4k60 with DLSS at max settings, so he opted for 30fps lock.

Blablurn

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I started it on Series S for the lolz yesterday and was REALLY surprised how smooth it ran.
On PC it also looks fantastic. Great game all in all. The car models are really nice.
The sidepods of the Ferrari curve REALLY nice.
And Lando Norris shouldn't act all high and mighty all the time as someone who hasn't won shit yet. Most overrated driver of the field.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
IIRc the PS5 version had the missing RT and glitch for quite some time and they still did not fix it?
Edit: I have mistaken it with the F1 21 version.

Disorientator

Oct 27, 2017
Cyprus
PC version is very demanding and his Titan RTX couldn't hold a 4k60 with DLSS at max settings, so he opted for 30fps lock.

Can't watch the DF video now, but here an RTX 3080 seems to hold 35-40fps (@ 4k with RT) before DLSS, and close to 60fps after DLSS Quality.
Wouldn't the Titan RTX perform better?

Unless performance is highly variable depending on track, conditions, cars on-screen, etc.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't watch the DF video now, but here an RTX 3080 seems to hold 35-40fps (@ 4k with RT) before DLSS, and close to 60fps after DLSS Quality.
Wouldn't the Titan RTX perform much better?

Unless performance is highly variable depending on track, conditions, cars on-screen, etc.
the more RT there is, the better Ampere does over Turing and that's what we're probably seeing

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well mid gen consoles are more needed than before then.
Unless they switch to Nvidia, which they likely won't for tons upon tons of reasons, then the results of mid gen refresh would be incremental at best. Forza 8 will have RT while on the track and is current gen only. We're still in crossgen, which is sandbagging current gen. Current gen only is supposed to take advantage of newer rendering pipelines.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Unless they switch to Nvidia, which they likely won't for tons upon tons of reasons, then the results of mid gen refresh would be incremental at best. Forza 8 will have RT while on the track and is current gen only. We're still in crossgen, which is sandbagging current gen. Current gen only is supposed to take advantage of newer rendering pipelines.

Nah not according to patents, leaks and rumors that RDNA3 or 4 and surely the PS5 PRO at least will have deidcated RT cores and dual SOC/GPU, then it is more than possible to have huge boost in RT features and performance.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah not according to patents, leaks and rumors that RDNA3 or 4 and surely the PS5 PRO at least will have deidcated RT cores and dual SOC/GPU, then it is more than possible to have huge boost in RT features and performance.
there's already dedicated RT cores. AMD just has different acceleration than Nvidia (no BVH traversal in the RT cores for example). it's also looking like RDNA3 isn't gonna change much, just add a lot more compute units. RT will be better, but would still fall short of Nvidia

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I feel it's a bit early to say. Next year we should start seeing more current gen only titles and better utilization of current gen hardware and I'm we haven't seen the true potential of these consoles yet.

Yes. I fully agree. Also refined methods or hybrid RT could be kicking so we will see more RT boost in the future for those machines.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Series S still kicking ass, aside from not getting the 120fps mode. I'm glad we're to the point in the generation where we're seeing refinement where (most of) the tech sort of disappears into the background. PS5 has some minor quirks, but I can't imagine those won't be the first to be addressed in upcoming patches.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
there's already dedicated RT cores. AMD just has different acceleration than Nvidia (no BVH traversal in the RT cores for example). it's also looking like RDNA3 isn't gonna change much, just add a lot more compute units. RT will be better, but would still fall short of Nvidia

It's not just adding more compute units, but nobody right now knows by what they(amd) means when they say enhanced raytracing.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
It's not just adding more compute units, but nobody right now knows by what they(amd) means when they say enhanced raytracing.

Also the speicifc Playstation hardware ptanet from Cerny months ago shows that there is a new hardware or Cores not available before that will enahnce RT. Sp at least Sony not just gonna rely on AMD alone for their mid gen and may bring their own custom additions to the table without forgetting their past dual SOC/GPU patent too.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Also the speicifc Playstation hardware ptanet from Cerny months ago shows that there is a new hardware or Cores not available before that will enahnce RT. Sp at least Sony not just gonna rely on AMD alone for their mid gen and may bring their own custom additions to the table without forgetting their past dual SOC/GPU patent too.

Sony customization the last few gens has been amazing even if not always harmonious, they usually have done something for all the playstations.

I'm glad they aren't just asking amd for something but trying to make the most of a bigger engineering intention they have for the architecture.

I'm in camp if mid gen pro models show up they will be quite the sight.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Screen tearing? Haven't seen that in a long time. I thought it was dead forever, and good riddance.

DKMGT

Banned
Jun 19, 2022
When do you think these guys will really push the visuals to a higher level? Surely with FM8 coming out next year looking properly next gen they will have to respond? I doubt they'll drop the last gen versions next year but hopefully they can still enhance the current gen versions much more than they have.

These games run awesomely and play great but man the visuals are just starting to look outdated.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When do you think these guys will really push the visuals to a higher level? Surely with FM8 coming out next year looking properly next gen they will have to respond? I doubt they'll drop the last gen versions next year but hopefully they can still enhance the current gen versions much more than they have.

These games run awesomely and play great but man the visuals are just starting to look outdated.
whenever they drop last gen versions and make games that target using RT and 60fps at the same time

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Forza Horizon 5 and Gran Turismo 7 are cross gen without RT and look so much better. I think they could do a lot more visually without having to resort to RT.
Yeah accelerating lighting and shadows they can do a lot. In these racing games it's hard as hell to even notice these nuances except for select moments when it comes to RT relates stuff. Vs other games. Faster paced games 60FPS min def should be focused on other areas esp when they have such a small window to do RT related things.
However I would agree that PC versions should allow for full RT to be turned on.

Oct 29, 2017
Forza Horizon 5 and Gran Turismo 7 are cross gen without RT and look so much better. I think they could do a lot more visually without having to resort to RT.

Unironically, they should go back to the desaturated 2010s look that F1 2010 and GRID 2 had. The F1 games are just so plain-jane looking. Like do something stylistic with it.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unironically, they should go back to the desaturated 2010s look that F1 2010 and GRID 2 had. The F1 games are just so plain-jane looking. Like do something stylistic with it.
lol no, post apocalyptic Silverstone can stay in the PS3, thank you

maxresdefault.jpg

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Not much of a difference if you compare it to 2021. Anyone not comparing them directly would be hard-pressed to tell any difference at all, but that's fine. They are incredibly performant games and they look nice.