• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Join Alex Battaglia for the Far Cry 6 tech review! We take a look at the latest iteration of the Dunia Engine with its various strengths and weaknesses, compare PS5, Series X and Series S versions of the game then dive deeply into PC. You'll get optimised settings, quality comparisons with consoles, performance analysis plus everything you need to know about the ray tracing implementation.

no article yet, stay tuned for summary
  • skies have volumetric clouds and atmospheric scattering
  • though the clouds are low res volumes
  • new water waves and deformation physics
  • fire propagation is back
  • RT on PC only, shadows and reflections
  • RT shadows are just sun shadows
  • veggie and alpha masks are shadow maps with screen space shadows
  • RT shadows are quarter res, so there's a lot of aliasing
  • no temporal filtering for rt shadows
  • RT AO would have been better usage
  • RT reflections on artificial materials and puddles
  • particles are reflected
  • large water are screen space
  • transparent objects have no reflections
  • lower resolution of RT reflections, no higher resolution available
  • particle effects, lens flares, motion blur, screen space shadows are quarter res on all systems
  • consoles are 4K/60 with dynamic res
  • seeming no reconstruction
  • PS5 is 1728p - 1872p
  • XSX is 1872p - 2160p
  • XSS is 1080p - 1224p
  • console setting!
    • high volume fog
    • high shadows, misalligned because of such
    • high or medium water quality
    • high texture filtering
    • between medium and high for geo and veggies
    • veggies is higher on PS5 at distance
  • PC performance settings
    • high environmental detail
    • high shadows
    • high AF
    • high volume fog
    • high water
    • high terrain
    • high geo and veggies
    • DSR 60
    • no road quality settings anymore
    • DRS does not work right on certain cards
    • 2060S can have 17% higher performance
  • fast loading everywhere
  • consoles have camera stuttering (like deathloop did)
  • not on PC
  • all systems hit 60fps quite well
  • traveling by car can cause stuttering and tearing
  • this was a thing with Far Cry 5, might be worse in Far Cry 6
  • one thread does a lot of work here on PC
  • RT hit
    • +3.4ms on 60800Xt at 4K
    • +2.5ms on 3080 at 4k
    • 9.5% better on 3080, near 60fps
  • the "11GB of VRAM need for high res textures" doesn't cause a problem
  • textures just don't load in, might be an issue with vram allocation
  • lower your output res for high res textures
  • some cutscenes are 30fps and others are 60fps, causes animation errors

EDIT and right after I make the summary, the article goes up
www.eurogamer.net

Far Cry 6 tech review: it looks good and runs well - but needs extra polish

The venerable Dunia engine returns once again for the sixth mainline entry in the Far Cry franchise - and there's a cer…

Last edited:

Toej

Aug 2, 2021
Although not terrible by any means, they should have fixed that engine stutter by now. It's not detracting from my enjoyment though having lots of fun with it.

Oct 27, 2017
One of the harsher assessments in recent months, due to long-observed issues with the engine.

However, the game does look pretty consistent across pc, new, and old-gens which means a lot of people will be fine playing it. I played a bit on ps4 with hdr and it was fine compared to ps5. It's got some bugs to be fixed yet, but overall as a world and engine things are pretty cohesive.

I know that this game/engine has to account for vehicle and bullet speeds so it's doing different work, but I think Valhalla just looks better in still/walking/third person moments, especially in its stone materials and gameplay character animations. If some of that came over to this it would enhance those things they are doing in fc6.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Did they touch on low res textures? Hopefully there's a work around cause I can't play like this it's way too distracting.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Seems to be kind of a rough release from a technical point of view and shows yet again that there is more to consistency than just a 60fps lock.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
The game needs some more polish for sure, but overall seems pretty solid on every platform

MaLDo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft is capable of putting 1000 developers to design an entire country and fill it with millions of incredible details, but they have not been able to make a Far Cry for 10 years that does not get stuck when you want to move around that world. The paradox is that Far Cry games are open world games. Useless fools.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I saw the misaligned shadows since the first comparison videos. I never udnerstood why they happened.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
11fjco.png

That's actually not bad at all... the consoles are getting mostly High, some Ultra, equivalent settings while running at damn-near native 4K at a good 60 FPS.

Stutter issues aside of course.

symphonask

Oct 28, 2017
that camera stutter (along with low fov) seems really annoying on console -- so close to being a good version of the game, hope they can smooth the camera out in a patch and add fov options

Shaz12567

Banned
Jun 7, 2021
The game is using more than 12GB of VRAM on the RTX 3090 in the below video. The VRAM allocation is completely messed up. Also their requirements are inconsistent. In Ubisoft Connect, they state at least 11GB of VRAM is needed. In their system requirements, they state it should be 16GB minimum and the in-game settings menu shows just 7GB of utilisation with the texture pack

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Sounds fine so far on consoles, despite the issues. That camera stutter looks to be annoying tho. I might bite on BF. Game should be discounted by then.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, so DF did notice the camera stuttering too. Glad I'm not going crazy. Shit is absolutely awful.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I was really hoping this game would look better. I hope they take FC back to the drawing board after this game. Series desperately needs to be revitalized.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is using more than 12GB of VRAM on the RTX 3090 in the below video. The VRAM allocation is completely messed up. Also their requirements are inconsistent. In Ubisoft Connect, they state at least 11GB of VRAM is needed. In their system requirements, they state it should be 16GB minimum and the in-game settings menu shows just 7GB of utilisation with the texture pack

allocated or used?

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
I'm disappointed that we couldn't get RT reflections for everything, but I guess the performance hit would have been pretty hard.

I'm no big fan of Screen Space Reflections and I'm surprised that the gaming community seems to tolerate them. Especially in foilage-heavy games like this, they really break the immersion the moment you come near big bodies of water.

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
I do wonder if the quarter-res effects could be a tech debt from the Last-Gen consoles.

Just feels like that sort of thing that would've been a concession to make the game run on last-gen systems, and it just didn't get turned off/an option to be turned off in the Next-Gen and PC versions.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
I would've liked to have seen some rasterization performance breakdown on the PC side of things rather than just a focus on the RT stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone tried this on a 3060 laptop? I'm wondering if that with an i7 11800H and 16 gb RAM will be able to do 1080p High with ray tracing turned on.

CornIsGood

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it's in a better state than Valhalla and Legion launched in at least. Hopefully the camera stutter gets fixed. I'll likely grab this during a sale.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like SX is the best option for console, but I'm still really tempted by the DualSense lol

Will buy it soon after a price drop (and hopefully a few patches)

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Crossposting:

There is definitely an issue in the PS5 version where performance degrades pretty drastically over time. Restarting the game fixes it.

So if you start to see jutter/tearing I recommend restarting the game.

I was able to see a very big difference just now. I started the zoo mission where you are overlooking the zoo and was getting really bad tearing and framerate when looking at the zoo, but turning away made it go away. I restarted the game and it loaded me to the same position and the framerate was extremely smooth no matter where I looked.

No idea how long it takes to kick in, or if it is just constantly getting bogged down the more you play.

Did Digital Foundry notice this?

Zep

Jul 12, 2021
Seems like SX is the best option for console, but I'm still really tempted by the DualSense lol

Will buy it soon after a price drop (and hopefully a few patches)
Usually where I'm at…minor bump in resolution vs Dualsense features. For FPS games that are single player, like this or Metro Exodus PS5 I'll go with Dualsense features.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Usually where I'm at…minor bump in resolution vs Dualsense features. For FPS games that are single player, like this or Metro Exodus PS5 I'll go with Dualsense features.
Yeah probably same for me. I only got an Xbox recently and really enjoying it, but I don't tend to notice minor resolution changes anyway lol. So DualSense is a bigger plus for me personally!

I hope Ubi does something about the stutter on all platforms though :/

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
This is getting really annoying. HD Textures disabled, 1080p, Resolution scale around 1.5, VRAM bar shows like 4-5GB needed.

nJndxoF.png

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
The camera stutter may be a deal breaker for me. I see it mentioned that it's "like Deathloop", but is it the same or worse? Deathloop didn't feel fantastic but it didn't feel terrible either. Then again, Deathloop has smaller, contained areas where Far Cry is wide open and it may be more obvious.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Microsoft needs to get a Dualsense equivalent out the door soon. I've definitely noticed the occasionally soft IQ on the PS5 version and would have gone for the Series X version if it weren't for all of those Dualsense goodies.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The quarter res stuff is disappointing. I wish they gave us the option to increase it, but I guess people would just crank it to max and call the game unoptimized if there was an option.

Insan1ty

Sep 23, 2021
Microsoft needs to get a Dualsense equivalent out the door soon. I've definitely noticed the occasionally soft IQ on the PS5 version and would have gone for the Series X version if it weren't for all of those Dualsense goodies.

How did you get the rumble to work on the controller? The vibration does not work with the PS5 DS. Only the triggers.[/QUOTE]

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Seems highly performant on all systems; definite merit of cross-gen is that it's conducive to 4k/60 on SX/PS5.

Going to be a sad day when Ubisoft soon abandons 60FPS for their major titles in favour of pushing visuals.