• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/Q4Tp9IoXycg
Forza Horizon and Hot Wheels made for a beautiful combination when the two franchises first collided in FH3 - but this new expansion is even better! In this tech review, Oliver Mackenzie assesses how ForzaTech engine's upgrades embellish the Hot Wheels experience, how the DLC improves over the original - plus there's a small comparison with the actual Hot Wheels title! All consoles are tested too, so while the Xbox Series consoles are the focus, you'll get to see how the game looks and runs on the Xbox machines of yesteryear too.
  • the track and environment design is really pushing the game's GI system
  • One S features lower quality models
  • clouds are 2D still
  • tessellated snow deformation from FH4 is missing
  • the technical difference between FH3 is massive
  • the hot wheels vehicles from FH5 are geometrically similar in 3
    • rendering and material improvements are apparent
  • performance is similar to the base game
    • One S is 1080p
    • One X is 2160p
    • Series S is 1080p in performance, 1440p in quality
    • Series X is 2160p in both modes
    • dynamic res and 4x msaa
  • loading on One S took 1:50, Series X is 26sec
  • the PC's TAA fixes a lot of msaa's problems, but not perfect
  • no TAA on console, unfortunately
  • no in-game ray tracing reflections despite the original trailer showing it

Last edited:

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Stunning expansion, love it.

IKMm94E.png

cfVKKg2.png

rJu0WYp.png

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
One the best GPU Crushers that scales on the pc ever.

The forest section or initial race is quite the way to stretch out and see how strong the harmony of your system is.

Until we get more games with path or ray tracing great examples of surfels at work.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
The scalability of this engine will never cease to amazed me. What a looker the game is even on One S !!!
But those loading times, man, that's not great.

DKMGT

Banned
Jun 19, 2022
Why still no RT in game option for PC if they showed it in the trailer AND theres a mod to enable it? Could it be parity reasons?

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I'll watch it later, really enjoyed the DLC.

Do they talk about assets loading in being way more obvious in the DLC when driving on grass on the ground instead of the plastic tracks? At least I felt that way. The higher grass details 'pop' in way closer to the car/camera than I remember from the base game, I think. Playing in performance mode.

Not dealbreaking since you are mostly not on the ground. Just curious if I was imagining things or if somebody else noticed.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We ever getting DLSS support? Now that the game supports TAA, it should be pretty easy, right?

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Why still no RT in game option for PC if they showed it in the trailer AND theres a mod to enable it? Could it be parity reasons?

Same reason we didn't get FSR 2.0 or DLSS in some fashion with the TAA update time and resources. Think of what DF mentioned about console players despite the TAA hitting before DLC their version of the game are missing it despite the fact I've met very few people who would stick with msaa at this point.

DF covered the mod in regular FH5 review. You can youtube the mod just you will have to hex edit it and as this video mantioned it spotty as updates shift the memory address it uses.

Will Law

Feb 5, 2021
That's a bummer load times are nearly 30seconds on the Series X. I guess I've been spoiled lately.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
Haven't watched the video yet but something I thought of while playing the expansion: Since the map is smaller than mainland Mexico, does it free up enough resource for Playground to "throw more graphics at it"?

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
Oh, that initial "in game" trailer had proper RT reflections from other cars, kinda misleading no?
I feel that game footage disclaimers need to be standardised across the industry, as right now some publishers consider gameplay footage to be in-engine only with no limitations on what cameras, audio and effects are used, and others consider it to be "anything a player can actually record" (which means cinematics and high spec graphic settings need to be disclosed separately).

DKMGT

Banned
Jun 19, 2022
I feel that game footage disclaimers need to be standardised across the industry, as right now some publishers consider gameplay footage to be in-engine only with no limitations on what cameras, audio and effects are used, and others consider it to be "anything a player can actually record" (which means cinematics and high spec graphic settings need to be disclosed separately).
Yea I was definitely mislead so I'm sure others were too. Agreed!

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Haven't watched the video yet but something I thought of while playing the expansion: Since the map is smaller than mainland Mexico, does it free up enough resource for Playground to "throw more graphics at it"?
Don't think so. Only real "new" thing IIRC from the Kinda Funny interview with Mike Brown was the "landbox" of seeing Mexico below the floating islands. Assets and quality and framerate and such all seem identical to the main game.