• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Protagonist

Sep 13, 2021
Love the care mister Linneman and the rest of the team put in these videos. I'm not always into the nit-picky technical details (e.g. pixel counts etc) but they always bring an interesting perspective to the games they review. Looking forward to this!

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
it seems like this is also a look back on the older version, so a df retro-ish feature. i'm down

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
John taking a tangent to talk about rain is like sunlight to everyone here, lol.

That effect is fucking atrocious. Not sure why/how/who greenlit that.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
The fact that they removed originals from stores and released this "Definitive" edition makes the situation even more shitty.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Bit off topic, but in that section where he shows off the rain in MGS2, the wind affecting the direction of the rain and the direction in which all the loose clothes move is super cool.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
When this thing was revealed you had a lot of people arguing for its graphics as going for a specific visual style. But I never understood it. In Vice City, Vercetti's model looks like a Ken Doll. That's a style I guess. But why does Avery look like they just took his PS2 model and dipped it in a bath of vaseline? Why doesn't he get the Ken doll treatment?

None of this points to any 'stylised' interpretation of the GTA keyart, it just looks amaterish sadly. Or more likely an overextended, overworked and underresourced crew asked to do something impossible with the time given

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
This game is already worth its weight in clips and meme gold. Us garbage goblins are feasting on this.

YhfZkkY.jpg

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
ooh boy, this gonna be something.

The games need a patch and I'm hoping that videos like this highlight the things that really disrupt the games... The rain in San Andreas, how fucking dark the game is if you have HDR10 turned on / Xbox Series X. A lot of the bug compilation videos going around dunking on the game are using a lot of stuff that was buggy in the originals too (not all of them, but there's a lot of them mixed in), and I think the developers might have a tendency to say "Well we're just preserving jank from the original games..." so I'm hoping some straight comparisons from high profile places focus on the right thingss that really need to be fixed.

What sucks Is I really love the gameplay loop of the original trilogy. Right now I'm playing through San Andreas because it's on GamePass and I didn't want to drop $60 on the whole thing without actually seeing it reviewed/etc, and had moment on Friday or Saturday night being like "Holy shit this is still an amazing game and this is pretty much exactly what I was looking for..." (playing on performance mode, contrast 2 clicks from the bottom, HDR off, XSX), and even things I knew were going to bug the hell out of me like the stupid far draw distance (blecht, still hate it, but w/e) and the rain, I thought, well, whatever, I can get around it. But playing out in the wilderness, the rain is so so so so so bad and is just completely bonkers has to be fixed. Some of the character models are just so bad, but the ones I care about... CJ, Kendyl, Sweet, Smoke, Ryder, Tenpenny, Pulaski, Cesar, some others so far, I think look fine, it's the minor characters (Denise, one of the girlfriends from Act 1), minor NPCs, that look really really bad, but I can ignore them or just not care, same with the bad AI texture work with wording.

But the performance and rain are things that... ugh. Have to be fixed. I'm hoping they do actually fix it, but I'm not feeling positive about it. Honestly I don't know how any developer *ever* could look at the rain and say "Yes, this can ship." Bad minor models? Whatever. Bad texture AI work? Whatever. The rain is so fucked up in San Andreas I honestly don't think anybody could play the game and not flag that as something that has to be immediately removed.

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
RE: Ambient Occlusion on Switch

"yeah, the PS2 version of course doesn't have it but it still looks more natural (compared to the Switch)".

That's not a sentence I expected to ever hear in 2021, lol.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus that rain effect gave me a headache just from the snippets in the video alone. I cant imagine how bad it is when actually playing

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I never felt under the lazy dev rhetoric, so I still won't.
But seeing the frame pacing at 30 FPS, a very old problem, resurfacing in 2021 : I would called them quite incompetent.
Running the PS4 Pro version on PS5 in all of its 864p glory is the only way to lock any console version to 60fps.
I am glad we wait 20 years for that.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Loving the Vid so far. Glad to see DF take more care in this video that that released within a week of release than GSG did for a whole game.

having modded the PC version it seems a lot better than the DE at this point. This release really hurts though. I wanted this to be great.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Compare the "definitive edition" with what modders did with GTA 3

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I never felt under the lazy dev rhetoric, so I still won't.
But seeing the frame pacing at 30 FPS, a very old problem, resurfacing in 2021 : I would called them quite incompetent.

I am glad we wait 20 years for that.

No dev laziness, but the work they have done is simply not good.

Oct 27, 2017
Glad he talked about the aesthetic and art style. This is exactly why I was arguing with people that the art style isn't any similar to the original.