• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Long may it continue.

Anyone else worried that devs will start targeting 30fps again at some point?
They already are. Ratchet is targeting 30fps but then offering a 60fps lower res/graphics settings option. And I'd predict that'll be the standard once next gen hits its stride. It won't be a repeat of last gen where the CPU was a bottleneck for 60fps regardless of resolution and graphics settings, so there can always be a 60fps option even if it drops to 1080p. 120fps fans may be disappointed though.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
They already are. Ratchet is targeting 30fps but then offering a 60fps lower res/graphics settings option. And I'd predict that'll be the standard once next gen hits its stride. It won't be a repeat of last gen where the CPU was a bottleneck for 60fps regardless of resolution and graphics settings, so there can always be a 60fps option even if it drops to 1080p. 120fps fans may be disappointed though.

We'll see I guess . They'll have the info in front of them on how much modes are being used.

If remedy is making Control 2 and they can see 90% of players used 60fps they're not going to bother with a 30fps, just optimise for 60

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to be so insecure about it. Everyone knows the Series X hardware is more capable and it'll show when the sdk's mature.

We're only four months into a new generation.

Get out with projecting your console wars nonsense on others. In my very first post in this thread I put both consoles on blast and Sony in particular for not being able to provide forced supersampling for every game on PS5 as Xbox consoles do.
It is also pretty much factual that the Xbox Series X isn't "killing it" in this upgrade. How is unstable 60fps, 1800p resolution and texture loading issues in an upgraded last gen game "killing it"?

What I do fully agree with is that in the future the hardware of the Series X (as well as the PS5) should be capable of more.

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
Get out with projecting your console wars nonsense on others. In my very first post in this thread I put both consoles on blast and Sony in particular for not being able to provide forced supersampling for every game on PS5 as Xbox consoles do.
It is also pretty much factual that the Xbox Series X isn't "killing it" in this upgrade. How is unstable 60fps, 1800p resolution and texture loading issues in an upgraded last gen game "killing it"?

What I do fully agree with is that in the future the hardware of the Series X (as well as the PS5) should be capable of more.

1. Grow up a little. You're the one having a hissy fit over comments, No one else.

2. There's no point being save face 'factual' about how games may or may not run so early in a generation when devs aren't even close to getting the max from a set of hardware.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
If remedy is making Control 2 and they can see 90% of players used 60fps they're not going to bother with a 30fps, just optimise for 60
The problem with that analysis is that it'll always be skewed heavily towards whatever is the default option. Vast majority of people won't bother to go in to settings to change the graphics setting. Your average console player simply doesn't care. We're in a bubble :)

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
What's interesting is that in the gpu limited scenario the ps5 is at 50 while the X is at 59. That's s 18% gap nearly identical to the teraflop gap on paper.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
The problem with that analysis is that it'll always be skewed heavily towards whatever is the default option. Vast majority of people won't bother to go in to settings to change the graphics setting. Your average console player simply doesn't care. We're in a bubble :)

Well, maybe they could limit the data collection to those who try both modes?

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
The "premiere PC experience" isn't 4k/60. It's 4k/120! It's not a particularly demanding game on PC even at Ultra settings.
Every youtube video I've seen of this shows a 3080 is required to get a locked 60 at 4k with Ultra settings. I don't think there's a system out there which can run this at 4k/120 on Ultra currently.

Edit: Ah I see it's getting a DLSS update soon. Well scratch that then, 4k/120 will def be in reach.

Would have been nice to see more detailed comparison of the actual settings consoles are running at though, rip Dictator's PSU.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
I've been really enjoying this game so far on PC. Serious fun, and pretty damn gorgeous too at ultra settings. First, "soulsborne" experience for me as well.

Haven't tried the game yet at 4K, but 1440p max settings, it's sitting locked at 60.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Since the textures got such a big boost, the lack of AF stands out more. Most games on the new consoles have been pretty good about texture filtering, especially in comparison to last-gen, but I definitely noticed it here.

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
smh, why would they potentially worsen ps5 performance when what they should be doing is patching the series consoles with less resolution target/average and better performance?

Ok maybe ps5 can bear a little more top resolution but it's probably not ideal to go to those lengths seeing how series x kinda struggles there. There should be no screen tearing in any version and performance in ps5 is nearly perfect as it is already judging by the videos I've seen.

The PS5 1800p patch should not alter the game's performance (e.g dropping frames). It's what QA are testing ATM.

We're also working on a 1080p/60fps Xbox Series S patch too.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Due to the nature of the game, they were never going to target 60 on consoles.
I'm just glad they fixed the frame pacing for it on console at least. A rock solid 30 FPS is better than a game struggling in the 40's.

What's interesting is that in the gpu limited scenario the ps5 is at 50 while the X is at 59. That's s 18% gap nearly identical to the teraflop gap on paper.

As they mentioned in the video, the Series X has more frequent small drops, likely due to streaming. But the PS5 has the bigger drop in a location like you mentioned.

Lets see if an increase in resolution compounds it or not. I'm sure both versions will get performance fixes via patches anyway.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Lets see if an increase in resolution compounds it or not. I'm sure both versions will get performance fixes via patches anyway.

That part is likely 1440p on both.

People expecting perfectly optimized software 4 months from launch are cute. The platform owners can't even do it yet.

It'll be 2022 earliest when we see titles that take advantage of all the features that the new consoles can offer, and not efficiently at that.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Ordered a Series X copy from Best Buy for $22. Hopefully they patch the texture issue and VRR takes care of the minor dips. If I like the game enough I'll grab a PS5 physical copy for collection purposes and some of that adaptive trigger support :)

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
The PS5 1800p patch should not alter the game's performance (e.g dropping frames). It's what QA are testing ATM.

Some people seem to think developers just plug in a number and cross their fingers the framerate holds up. Looking forward to playing the game tomorrow!

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
How in the heck are these consoles not able to do last gen games at 4K/60?

2160p60 is literally 8x 1080p30. That's a big ask even after a generation jump, especially when in most cases the enhanced versions are also using visual enhancements beyond just resolution. FFVIIR Intergrade is like that too - its resolution and framerate boosts don't stretch to native 2160p60, but it does have big improvements in textures, lighting, environmental effects, etc.

Thank you for dropping in to inform people, this sort of thing is always useful. Also, glad to hear about your game getting DLSS, I appreciate it.

Last edited:

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Never seen this game in action... they couldn't bother to even change up the UIs from their inspiration, or is it marketed as a "love letter?"

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
The problem with this line of thinking is that if devs target 30fps (meaning they target 33.3ms budget per frame) they will push the cpu to take full advantage of this budget, else why bother, just target 60fps from the start.

And I don't think its easy to scale down the cpu usage by half, like the gpu. Its the reason why Series S cpu is identical to the series X.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Never seen this game in action... they couldn't bother to even change up the UIs from their inspiration, or is it marketed as a "love letter?"
It almost feels like an asset-rip at first, but I think the game does a good job of differentiating itself gameplay-wise as you continue through it (I know you were speaking about the UI specifically though). I think it has one of the worst 'opening' sections of a game like this, and I could see a lot of people quitting before it even gets going. It's also relatively short, which is good or bad depending on what your expectations are.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
The problem with this line of thinking is that if devs target 30fps (meaning they target 33.3ms budget per frame) they will push the cpu to take full advantage of this budget, else why bother, just target 60fps from the start.

And I don't think its easy to scale down the cpu usage by half, like the gpu. Its the reason why Series S cpu is identical to the series X.

You're overestimating CPU usage in games, especially when we're talking about 30-60 fps. Very few games will come close to maxing the CPUs in these machines and they'll probably all be open world.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

They'll "bother" because we've seen every generation that graphics take priority over framerate for marketing purposes (sadly, IMO).

With regards to the CPU, it's actually going to be much harder to max them out this gen, given their strength, at least unless games do an awful lot more with AI, physics etc. I guess those will be in the minority though for the foreseeable future.

MaestroChief

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2020
That one scene where ps5 drops to 50fps but XSX holds that 60fps solid is interesting. The XSX seems to have streaming issues to cause the hiccups. Control had that but Remedy fixed it so it's rock solid now. Wondering if they're working on a patch for XSX to fix the streaming. Gears 5 uses UE4 and looks alot better with no texture streaming issues

Control fixed? Didn't know that. Is the pause issue fixed too?

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's fine by me, I'd almost always sacrifice resolution/graphics to achieve 60 fps. As long as there's a choice, everyone wins.. I just hope the trend of haviing performance options becomes standard for the whole gen. If we go back to most AAA games only having 30 fps it's going to be a huge bummer. I can't really tolerate 30 fps anymore.

MaestroChief

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2020

Thanks. A 30FPS capped mode with higher resolution would be welcome for Series S too.

Any word about the texture streaming issue on Series consoles?

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
You're overestimating CPU usage in games, especially when we're talking about 30-60 fps. Very few games will come close to maxing the CPUs in these machines and they'll probably all be open world.
They'll "bother" because we've seen every generation that graphics take priority over framerate for marketing purposes (sadly, IMO).

With regards to the CPU, it's actually going to be much harder to max them out this gen, given their strength, at least unless games do an awful lot more with AI, physics etc. I guess those will be in the minority though for the foreseeable future.
Lol you guys think too small. Ofcourse if the CPUs are this strong then devs will push them as hard as they can.

Maybe not your average indie dev, but do you think naughty dog or any other AAA won't think of ways to push their game to the next level? Dice is already increasing the scale to a level never before seen in their games, and that's just the start of the generation.

AI, Physics, interactivity, enemy count, animations will all be hugely improved upon. And the cpu usage won't stay at 50% lol

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Lol you guys think too small. Ofcourse if the CPUs are this strong then devs will push them as hard as they can.

Maybe not your average indie dev, but do you think naughty dog or any other AAA won't think of ways to push their game to the next level? Dice is already increasing the scale to a level never before seen in their games, and that's just the start of the generation.

AI, Physics, interactivity, enemy count, animations will all be hugely improved upon. And the cpu usage won't stay at 50% lol
Don't get me wrong, I hope you're right, I'd love to see devs push boundaries like that. I'll just play the games at 60+ on PC regardless anyway (well those that get PC ports!)

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
How in the heck are these consoles not able to do last gen games at 4K/60?
It's a small team and development ressources are becoming a bigger limitation each generation as we speak. I think the developers did their best, especially during the pandemic. But there are issues that don't make sense.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I don't know? Maybe a few days after that? Should they keep waiting and waiting until all versions have been patched?
Would be along wait and I agree with you.
Should it be a surprise to anybody?
Why did I knew someone is going there? Its sad for you but I am happy to confirm that control got fixed and this indie game and the world complexity don't look like those streaming issues are more than something in software that can be fixed. It's a indie game, so no disrespect to the developers, but there are way more complex games that don't have streaming issues on Xbox.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Real winner here (yet again) is the Series S. Serious price to performance coming out of this machine.