Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I have a feeling we're gonna see a lot of weird performance gaps due to software bugs on both sides when it comes to these "removing the framerate cap" style patches, simply due to the nature of things running in BC and whatnot rather than native versions. Hopefully the Series X version can get ironed out simply, because it's weird that the One X can hit 4K / 60 but the Series X has issues.

EDIT: Removed the above. I missed the bit that it was happening on the One X, too.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling we're gonna see a lot of weird performance gaps due to software bugs on both sides when it comes to these "removing the framerate cap" style patches, simply due to the nature of things running in BC and whatnot rather than native versions. Hopefully the Series X version can get ironed out simply, because it's weird that the One X can hit 4K / 60 but the Series X has issues.
I haven't watched the video, but the text article says the same issue at the same location is present on the One X

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, the One X suffers the same problem in the same spot.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
Anyone arguing for some sort of win here, is just being obtuse. It's a bug, it'll (hopefully) get patched and both current-gen versions will run at a flawless 4K/60 fps.

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017
The thirst by some to lay into the series x is sad. You can see who actually watches these videos and who just looks for PS5 'winning' before they post.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
So there's a difference between Series X and PS5 in one little section? Should be cleared up soon. It will come down to other differences. Does it support Cards, Dualsense features, and 3D audio?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
So there's a difference between Series X and PS5 in one little section? Should be cleared up soon. It will come down to other differences. Does it support Cards, Dualsense features, and 3D audio?
It's not a PS5 game (or an XSX game). These are the PS4 and Xbox One versions running through backwards compatibility.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
That's it, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered is the one that DEFINED the PS5 as the winner of this generation. Xbox is DOOMED forever!

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
AH, ok, I'm understanding better now that I've run through the video. I initially thought the video title was a hair misleading, in the sense that they generally mention whether the comparison is for BC, which is technically what this is. Except that this is an unusual method of allowing further improvement from next-gen hardware, compared to next-gen aware patches (they refer to those as "Backwards Compatibility Plus"), let alone native versions. Even if the results are a bit flawed in one case, this is really interesting as an attempt, and I think Richard's guess about this method allowing the dev to stay on an older SDK is a good one.

Edit: And reading that the underlying bug causing the issue on the one part of the coast on Xbox predates this patch is a bummer. I hope they have a line on resolving it. It sort of makes the comparison work from the video less useful, at least re: that specific area.

Last edited:

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Why, oh why can't we have a setting like this in most games? Or all games that don't have game code tied to the frame rate.

Folks saying this is the absolute minimum for next gen support patch, surely more games should be possible.

Anyway, going to support the effort with a purchase.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
fps drops to the mid 40s on series X is shameful. I mean did they even try? (the answer is no.)

Quite literally no as this is just a patch for the last-gen versions.

Why, oh why can't we have a setting like this in most games? Or all games that don't have game code tied to the frame rate.

Folks saying this is the absolute minimum for next gen support patch, surely more games should be possible.

Anyway, going to support the effort with a purchase.

I'm pretty sure this game only got such a patch because it's only a few months old and still in some form of active development. If it came out in like 2017, I doubt they'd have bothered.

Oct 27, 2017
I love Digital Foundry comparisons, but it always feels like people don't actually watch the videos, that they go through and find one spot that justifies their console of choice and run with that. It happens every single video, regardless of which console comes out on top. This weird loyalty to giant corporations and their plastic toy boxes is bizarre.

I'd be really curious to know what is going on behind the scenes with that one area of the map. It is clearly something not related to hardware, since it affects both One X and Series X, but I'd be curious to know if it is something with APIs or just a bug in the game itself. I can't see it every getting fixed though, since EA doesn't seem to support these quick and dirty remasters very long. Like there's still many things about the Burnout Paradise remaster that I'd love changed, but they never will.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It would be cool if devs could go back and patch in an "unlock everything mode" in all last gen games.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be really curious to know what is going on behind the scenes with that one area of the map. It is clearly something not related to hardware, since it affects both One X and Series X, but I'd be curious to know if it is something with APIs or just a bug in the game itself. I can't see it every getting fixed though, since EA doesn't seem to support these quick and dirty remasters very long. Like there's still many things about the Burnout Paradise remaster that I'd love changed, but they never will.

My guess is that area isn't culling distant scenery as intended, so it's "rendering" a huge chunk of unrelated geometry all at once. John mentions this as a possible explanation right in the video. That's often what happens when one specific spot has a performance snag like that. Since this was on previous versions before this patch, and from the file info, this isn't on a newer SDK at all, this looks to be just an "old-fashioned" game rendering bug in the Xbox version on those three coastal curves, that's also present when used on newer hardware.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Quite literally no as this is just a patch for the last-gen versions.

I'm pretty sure this game only got such a patch because it's only a few months old and still in some form of active development. If it came out in like 2017, I doubt they'd have bothered.

Ah, yeah. I understand why alright. The future of b\c has been fairly obvious since 2016 though so it would have been nice if some forward thinking devs (or pubs) had implemented similar options.

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is that area isn't culling distant scenery as intended, so it's "rendering" a huge chunk of unrelated geometry all at once. John mentions this as a possible explanation right in the video. That's often what happens when one specific spot has a performance snag like that. Since this was on previous versions before this patch, and from the file info, this isn't on a newer SDK at all, this looks to be just an "old-fashioned" game rendering bug in the Xbox version on those three coastal curves, that's also present when used on newer hardware.

Ah, I bet you're right.

I went back and looked at some of the footage, and it does seem like the dips are the largest when the view contains one specific area (seemingly the inside of that cove area). A gap in the culling right there could 100% cause this, and I could see that being caused in the conversions done during porting.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Why, oh why can't we have a setting like this in most games?
It's probably something that developers should take into account a little bit more in future - maybe including modes on console games that remove locks on performance so that games run better on hypothetical future hardware.

It's a little bit of a strange situation now where we're wishing that more games last generation had included modes with a really dubious performance profile on older hardware, when around this this in the previous generation we were seeing some games with exactly that kind of mode and asking developers to put in performance caps to smooth them out.

Yeah if this kind of patch were more common then it'd be perfectly fine for it to be the "minimum" (though XSS owners might not be happy at this specific style of patch). Having a whole bunch of PS4 and Xbox One games patched to run at higher resolutions and framerates would be quite nice to see, even if the effort put into those patches were "minimal".

I'd be really curious to know what is going on behind the scenes with that one area of the map. It is clearly something not related to hardware, since it affects both One X and Series X, but I'd be curious to know if it is something with APIs or just a bug in the game itself.
APIs would be weird if it's just that one area of the game.

I think John's suggestion of a culling issue is a decent one. Could just be that the Xbox version is using a version of the track with needlessly (and massively) over-complicated geometry in that area.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So can I install it on the external storage on ps5 ? Running out of space on ssd. And get 60 fps

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
This is one game where 120fps would've been a game changer simply because of the awful handling and its inherent input lag.

Bought the NSW version and it's awful at 30fps (like on PS360) while I enjoyed it on PC years ago but then I remembered I played it at 60fps back then

Too bad, game was cool otherwise

Edit: apparently no 120fps support is tied to how the engine handles physics
Still, it's fine at 60, would not recommend on NSW.

Sep 29, 2020
I'll stick with my steam version until it's on Gamepass thankyouverymuch.
Not being 120fps on current gen nor 60 on Switch is embarrassing for a port of a 11 year old game that wasn't very demanding to begin with.

Awesome game though (I could do without the typical Criterion unskippable tutorial videos though).

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
What's the likelihood this becomes accessible for free on GP with EA Play, etc?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
It's a little bit of a strange situation now where we're wishing that more games last generation had included modes with a really dubious performance profile on older hardware, when around this this in the previous generation we were seeing some games with exactly that kind of mode and asking developers to put in performance caps to smooth them out.

Ha, yeah

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Im waiting for DF to turn their attention to Outriders, ha ha. This was interesting tho. I bought it fro Series X but regret not getting it on PS5. Does Series X have better texture filtering or the 16x anisotropic filtering doesn't come in play here?

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Jesus, what the fuck with the system wars bullshit?

The worse part is that they are not even watching the video or reading the article (which clearly states this is a software bug present on all Xbox machines).
It's just pure non-sense, people have to justify in their brain the time they have spent as little kids fighting over their consoles so they just keep fighting.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
What an ugly game. I'm pretty

de3eeb872cb0aa2a3500561b5759ea2c.gif

Sorry 😋

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Im waiting for DF to turn their attention to Outriders, ha ha. This was interesting tho. I bought it fro Series X but regret not getting it on PS5. Does Series X have better texture filtering or the 16x anisotropic filtering doesn't come in play here?
Edit: just realised you weren't talking about Outriders! Please ignore 😁

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
The console I like has a(n) [ADVANTAGE/DISADVANTAGE] so that clearly means [IT IS THE SUPERIOR CONSOLE/IT IS A ONE-OFF ISSUE].

Discourse.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
fps drops to the mid 40s on series X is shameful. I mean did they even try? (the answer is no.)
No, they didn't that's the whole point.
The game was never optimised for this, they simply removed the frame cap.

I wish more games did this because it puts the game in a good place for the next machines we get, even if it doesn't work well now.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
No, they didn't that's the whole point.
The game was never optimised for this, they simply removed the frame cap.

I wish more games did this because it puts the game in a good place for the next machines we get, even if it doesn't work well now.

Totally agree. We'd be in a great spot right now if unlocking the framerate was a standard feature.