Gary

Oct 30, 2017
NI
Throw this in a nice black box like the PS2 and I'll snap it up, the only reason I haven't bought a PS5 is that I can't stand how it looks.

bitcloudrzr

Banned
May 31, 2018
I don't see any system seller in the near future, except GTA 6 next year.
Plenty of current gen only games coming out this year, with potential for Sony marketing exclusive.

Thats not the GPU architecture, these are just features from RDNA2 that were not available on the PS5. The GPU architecture is assumed to be RDNA3 with RDNA4 RT hardware plus a custom Machine Learning solution.

These claims are baseless. They're just FUD. Ask anyone posting this to name the 30fps games they're talking about. You won't get much of an answer.
We have really arrived at the pre-reveal PS5 thread with the shitposting.

Mar 28, 2024
hmm my tv could benefit from the ps5pro but if the powerup isn't really significant i'm starting to consider the base ps5 is they cut the price...

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
hmm my tv could benefit from the ps5pro but if the powerup isn't really significant i'm starting to consider the base ps5 is they cut the price...

If you game at 1440p or 4k it's the better choice if not then I wouldn't bother. Then you like said money concerns.

Stop listening to deflaters in any gpu bound game that gets a patch for the scaler it will be damn nice.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. There's been Gotham Knights, Starfield, Dragon's Dogma II, and... that's it, I think? Some games can't hold a locked 60fps in their performance mode, but cases like Elden Ring clearly show that that can still be a GPU limitation.
Starfield just got a 60fps update so that was not CPU bound.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
And from Xbox versions…

I still remember all the debate on this very forum about if PS5 was full DX12 compatible or not lol

Yeah obviously but PC/Xbox games are done on the same DX12 version there's only just the SDK they have to take in mind when porting the game.

I'm happy about these changes and can't wait for the Pro, been playing Helldivers on Difficulty 9 and it's a mess when effects comes into play :D And you know sometimes you gotta brute force some other games (if not updated by then) like Jedi Survivor.

Looking forward to also play Cyberpunk on PS5 Pro

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I still really dont understand what is this claim based on. The main problem weve had this generation is Performance modes looking too blurry, thats a GPU and/or bandwidth limitation. The amount of games severly limited by the CPU (ie not featuring a Performance mode at all) are tiny relatively.

Same, unless they want 120hz but for that we'd need something like 3D Cache to help, but putting that in an APU like PS5 Pro... Would be much more expensive.

I'm okay with the slight clock and the big GPU upgrade.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Starfield just got a 60fps update so that was not CPU bound.

DF tested the PC version with the Xbox CPU (specifically a binned Xbox APU sold as a PC CPU in China) and a 4090, they found that it could hold 60fps sometimes but suffered severe drops into the low 40s in things like space travel and ship battles, so it was definitely CPU bound to an extent at that time - but maybe not after extensive optimisation.

I hope to see similar improvements to DDII eventually, this article makes it seem like it doesn't have to be as heavy as it is.

www.pcgamer.com

Dragon's Dogma 2 performance analysis: It'll take everything your PC has and still want more

I hope you have a top-end CPU and GPU because you're really going to need them.

I used Microsoft's DirectX analytical tool, PIX, to examine what was going with the CPU's workload and saw two things immediately. Firstly, there's an awful lot of threads going on with the game's engine and while you may think that's a great use of modern CPUs, making sure that all those threads don't stall each other isn't a trivial task.

Secondly, it was taking a very long time just to process the command lists from the DirectX API. On the 14700KF system, it took 25 milliseconds on average, in the city area. In comparison, something like Cyberpunk 2077 has API processing times roughly half as long.

While I can't tell precisely what the command list contains (PIX just wouldn't attach properly to the game), it's almost certainly to do with managing all of the assets. Yes, NPCs pop in and out of existence in front of your eyes, and the changes in LOD are very abrupt, but the game is clearly doing too much work in the background for each frame.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Ok.

But what about all the people that already have a PS5, maybe just purchased recently? Who is going to ditch theirs just to make room for a Pro if there is no system seller type of game?

I think only Enthusiats would upgrade from a base Ps5 to a Ps5 Pro. Casuals (people who bought only recently) don't care much about specs they would rather buy a base Ps5 for less money.

We should expect the base PS5 to be sold out at some point hence the PS5 pro is the only option to buy and the sales continue as if nothing happend.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
DF tested the PC version with the Xbox CPU (specifically a binned Xbox APU sold as a PC CPU in China) and a 4090, they found that it could hold 60fps sometimes but suffered severe drops into the low 40s in things like space travel and ship battles, so it was definitely CPU bound to an extent at that time - but maybe not after extensive optimisation.

I hope to see similar improvements to DDII eventually, this article makes it seem like it doesn't have to be as heavy as it is.

www.pcgamer.com

Dragon's Dogma 2 performance analysis: It'll take everything your PC has and still want more

I hope you have a top-end CPU and GPU because you're really going to need them.

Say what, that api quote is disgusting cause normally that stuff runs in microseconds like less than 200.

With that tool or certain latency system checkers that bonkers to know it pegged that high and was stalling which means the spikes were that high but you could have seconds of stall.

Game engines aren't really built to address that problem they only show symptoms of when overloading. MS really need to take similar tools and drag their shit heavily to fix the kernel. Had they bothered they would see what intel is seeing as they fix their drivers.

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Could PS5Pro use the 300TOPS for AI denoising of RT to improve that was well?

IMO the machine learning performance is the most exciting thing about the Pro. DLSS has revolutionised PC gaming, and that stuff can now be applied to console games.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
I was sure to read something about the discontinuation of the base PS5. Maybe I am wrong though.

It's the base PS5 standard, digital and the PS5 pro then ? Maybe even the Pro with both options leading to 4 skus ?

Discontinuation of the fat PS5, the slim is the base PS5 now.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Could PS5Pro use the 300TOPS for AI denoising of RT to improve that was well?

IMO the machine learning performance is the most exciting thing about the Pro. DLSS has revolutionised PC gaming, and that stuff can now be applied to console games.

I can't see why not, it sounds like their ML hardware won't be much different from Nvidia and should be capable of the same stuff - they just need the software to make it work.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Say what, that api quote is disgusting cause normally that stuff runs in microseconds like less than 200.

With that tool or certain latency system checkers that bonkers to know it pegged that high and was stalling which means the spikes were that high but you could have seconds of stall.

Game engines aren't really built to address that problem they only show symptoms of when overloading. MS really need to take similar tools and drag their shit heavily to fix the kernel. Had they bothered they would see what intel is seeing as they fix their drivers.
Well you can record whatever computation in command buffers so just judging the time to process doesn't mean much. What exactly should MS fix in the kernel?

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't be much probably just a library file that is pegging to high. Almost makes me want to track it myself.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly does it not have? Because DF did an interview with the Alan Wake 2 devs and asked them how the PS5 development process was affected by this, and they said it changed nothing and they had no issues with it.
I'm not 100% sure off the top of my head. I remember DF talking about it in one video but I think it was a Direct so I cannot remember to link it. It's not been an issue for anyone yet, the Pro might just be a tad bit easier to get those same things working on and a bit faster. It's not a big change but one little thing to make supporting another platform easier for devs.

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I can't see why not, it sounds like their ML hardware won't be much different from Nvidia and should be capable of the same stuff - they just need the software to make it work.

See this is why people are completely sleeping on the Pro. The number of things the machine learning could be game changing for are myriad.

PSSR is the baseline, using it for things like denoising and aiding in RT? That could yield huge RT improvements even beyond the better RT of the GPU.

Vans

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
So it is indeed like going from a 5700 XT to an RX 6800. GPU bump just about good enough to comfortably do 4K raster.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
See this is why people are completely sleeping on the Pro. The number of things the machine learning could be game changing for are myriad.

PSSR is the baseline, using it for things like denoising and aiding in RT? That could yield huge RT improvements even beyond the better RT of the GPU.
I agree… if ML or "AI" is a central focus of the console, it could be a pretty big leap, especially if there's dedicated hardware for it.

It would be the world's first AI focused console- I also wonder if some of the hardware could be used to drive more models like GT Sophie other than just graphical upgrades?

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I agree… if ML or "AI" is a central focus of the console, it could be a pretty big leap, especially if there's dedicated hardware for it.

It would be the worlds first AI focused console.

PSSR may well include frame gen down the line. And yes it can be used for loads of stuff other than that like RT denoising.

It is a whole new paradigm of game and graphics design that is opened, with the potential for absolutely massive performance improvements beyond anything extra TF will get you.

The leaked image of PSSR looks phenomenal already, and that is using the same base image, not taking into account the additional GPU power or RT performance of the Pro.

If it really has 300TOPS ML performance that is quite a lot…

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Yep, though this is the sort of thing that devs will also have to implement specifically in the Pro versions of their games. Some will do it, but I expect to see this stuff become more common on PS6. Of course, the existence of the Pro will improve the state of ML software on PS6, so no matter what it's important.

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Yep, though this is the sort of thing that devs will also have to implement specifically in the Pro versions of their games. Some will do it, but I expect to see this stuff become more common on PS6. Of course, the existence of the Pro will improve the state of ML software on PS6, so no matter what it's important.

Yep, all this learning will go into PS6 so it will be able to come out swinging with a mature set of ML features that make a huge difference.

So they get to release a Pro console with significantly improved performance well beyond the increased APU cost, and have gen 2 of the ML stuff ready for PS6.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope we get some solid details on the quality of PSSR soon. The specs kind of feel irrelevant until we understand how much of an impact that has on performance and image quality and if devs are going to utilize it heavily.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, all this learning will go into PS6 so it will be able to come out swinging with a mature set of ML features that make a huge difference.

So they get to release a Pro console with significantly improved performance well beyond the increased APU cost, and have gen 2 of the ML stuff ready for PS6.

Not to mention a PS5 Pro performance profile for games that will be available on PS6. That's a great thing about the PS4 Pro, the way all those games run on PS5. A benefit for everyone regardless of whether you buy a pro console

Starlightmuse

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 27, 2017
what does this mean? (explain it like you're talking to a neanderthal)
Its going to be a noticeable improvement in performance and specially image quality but its not going to be anywhere near an RTX 4080 neither in rasterization (meaning non ray traced games) and specially not in ray traced games as some people have been claiming itt

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

I've mentioned it in other threads but I really think that the Pro consoles exist because they can be testbeds for future technology, so (willing) developers are able to try out new things and that feedback will be used in the official 'next-gen' unit. It doesn't need to be a commercial slam-dunk for Sony, but this way there is a return on investment, commercially and technologically.

Sep 6, 2022
I can't wait for all of the videos that are going to test Bloodborne on the PS5 Pro, only to find that it still runs the same lol.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018

Would be interesting if the evolution of the console is leaning into a full vertical integration of ML/AI tech hardware/software stack vs just faster GPU/CPU/RAM/Storage. Like add in specialized/dedicated AI chips that aren't necessarily available on PC. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bitcloudrzr

Banned
May 31, 2018
I was gonna say - I'm getting PTSD to all the FUD about PS5 pre-release. Remember how it was really a 8TF RDNA 1.5 machine that overheated and was hard to develop for?
If you think SSDs are going to be in these things, it will cost $999.

I think only Enthusiats would upgrade from a base Ps5 to a Ps5 Pro. Casuals (people who bought only recently) don't care much about specs they would rather buy a base Ps5 for less money.

We should expect the base PS5 to be sold out at some point hence the PS5 pro is the only option to buy and the sales continue as if nothing happend.
Enthusiasts and mainstream customers that are willing to buy the better sku, that second category is needed to help push sales just like how the PS4 Pro ended up roughly at 25%.