• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I'm starting to suspect that whole architecture thing Cerny blabbed on about for hours and hours might have not been marketing nonsense. I would imagine if developers could fix the framerates easily on the Xbox Series architecture by dropping the res they would have done it up front. I'm sure they'll fix it eventually because Xbox has some really smart people working on the core tech.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
The differences in lighting quality pointed out in Ahti screenshots is shocking. This looks to me to be yet another example of black crush on the PS5. Sony needs to fix this (and people need to stop blaming the developers as this is a common problem in far too many games to be a "developer" issue).

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
The differences in lighting quality pointed out in Ahti screenshots is shocking. This looks to me to be yet another example of black crush on the PS5. Sony needs to fix this (and people need to stop blaming the developers as this is a common problem in far too many games to be a "developer" issue).
is that really black crush? it looks to me like one game has better lighting than the other, not a symptom of black crush

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
It's not black crush, the lighting is genuinely worse. I have a comparison screenshot showing that on Xbox an NPC is illuminated by the fire he's stood in front of, on PS5 he isn't.
I'm really surprised none of the tech comparisons have picked up on it as the difference is striking.

Edit: apologies for the window reflection, they were taken to show a friend.

Series X:

PS5:

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I think they take so much fanboy sh!t that the comparisons is as light as possible until the full version is out.

DF is the gold standard for uncovering issues like highlighted, so the omission was likely on purpose.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I´m surprised they haven`t talked about the differences in lighting. The PS5-version looks much worse in certain areas.
Here are some screenshots I`ve taken:

PC (also Xbox):
01fajhv.jpg

PS5:
0293j6n.jpg

PC (also Xbox):
0315klf.jpg

PS5:
04b6jpf.jpg
I think there is some genuine disappointment but when you have posters like PlanetSmasher post incessantly deriding MS exclusives but then in another thread cheerleading to have From do another PS exclusive it becomes fishy

Then others who do the whole "Xbox has no games" or "Xbox has only Halo/Forza/Gears"

Or others who say MS needs to put Bethesda multiplat but Pooh-Pooh the idea of Sony or Nintendo having multiplat games
is that really black crush? it looks to me like one game has better lighting than the other, not a symptom of black crush
Does this have anything to do with RDNA 2 differences between the two?

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I have the demo downloading on both my PS5 and XSX right now. I will play the game this weekend on my 77" LG CX so see if the differences are as obvious as those screenshots. Considering DF has no problem pointing out frame drops on games on the Xbox Series consoles that last mere seconds on one part of a game only - this lighting omission appears rather glaring.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
It's not black crush, the lighting is genuinely worse. I have a comparison screenshot showing that on Xbox an NPC is illuminated by the fire he's stood in front of, on PS5 he isn't.
I'm really surprised none of the tech comparisons have picked up on it as the difference is striking.

Series X:

PS5:

Dynamic light is probably bugged and off just like the cloth physics

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder why developers don't just lower the resolution on the Series X to maintain the target frame rate more consistently.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I wonder why developers don't just lower the resolution on the Series X to maintain the target frame rate more consistently.

Possibly because it is not an issue for people with VRR monitors and TVs. I suspect it is a bit of a short cut for some developers as VRR will "fix" these issues and developers can focus their attention elsewhere (resolution gains?). I can only speak for myself but I have a monitor and tv with VRR and I almost never notice any frame drops.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Having VRR pretty much makes XSX my go to console for multiplats it seems.

Edit: oof those Ps5 screenshots, what's going on there?

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
people with access to vrr is like, what 5% of users?
would hate for devs to rely on it so early in gen as a quick fix

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
VRR shouldn't be used as a crutch, it probably doesn't account for more than a single digit percentage of console owners.

I have to imagine a simple resolution parity with the PS5 version would fix the dips on SX.
I don't think it's as black and white as you think, you have to imagine masses are less akin to noticing frame rate drops, and those who care would have high end displays. Clearly in this situation theres a visual difference with the PS5 version which I'm not sure why they didn't mention anything of it. Lighting looks off and XSX seems visually on par with the PC version.

Again, never a simple choice

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's as black and white as you think, you have to imagine masses are less akin to noticing frame rate drops, and those who care would have high end displays. Clearly in this situation theres a visual difference with the PS5 version which I'm not sure why they didn't mention anything of it. Lighting looks off and XSX seems visually on par with the PC version.

Again, never a simple choice
Probably because it's a demo bug, simple as.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
VRR shouldn't be used as a crutch, it probably doesn't account for more than a single digit percentage of console owners.

I have to imagine a simple resolution parity with the PS5 version would fix the dips on SX.
Agree big time, VRR is nice but the vast majority of console gamers do not play on VRR capable display

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
As someone in the small minority with a VRR tv, I'm glad for the resolution boost nearest to my native 4K display. Still shouldn't be a crutch, but it's a nice bailout if they don't care to nerf the res to get closer to a locked FR with an update.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Please don't drop the resolution. Resolution drop means any new console revision won't benefit without a patch and we know how devs won't bother patching old games.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Why won't the developers push for native 4K all the time if VRR was being used as a crutch? Don't think thats the case. Series X is already using DRS so the developers know the performance can vary. Its good that Series X has a way to mitigate the drops to an extent. That shouldn't be used to assume the developer's did not want to optimize further.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
I'm sure that the weird PS5 IQ and the XSX framerate drops will be addressed by the final versions. Ir's a beta afterall

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020

Series X:

PS5:

Seems to be a completely different tone mapping, one is desaturated and washed out, versus the other were saturation is raised to 11 and a boosted contrast. The lighting itself seems to be similar algorithm but not the same color.

HDR tone mapping bug?

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I'm starting to suspect that whole architecture thing Cerny blabbed on about for hours and hours might have not been marketing nonsense. I would imagine if developers could fix the framerates easily on the Xbox Series architecture by dropping the res they would have done it up front. I'm sure they'll fix it eventually because Xbox has some really smart people working on the core tech.
I mean this particular dev managed to keep the frame rate up by using worse lighting and effects on the PS5 version.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Weird. Looks like the Division 2 lighting/fog bug again on PS5. Which was fixed easily though.

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
Didn't the Xbox have an exclusive beta for the game? And it is also known that the demo is from a much older build. So there would be some performance differences. Feedback was needed, like the camera shake and co, but I don't know about doing a performance review on a build that's a few months old.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017

Dunno, but they need to do that and not chase some higher arbitrary resolution until they nail the frame rate when it's that close.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
When it comes to gameplay itself, basing my opinion on the demo, any dips in action on Xbox Series X with a VRR-compatible TV are a non-issue and they are virtually imperceptible.
Not to dismiss VRR, that's nice and all but I don't have a VRR set. I'd hazard a vast majority of players probably don't either :-/

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
If I had a Series X I would rather keep the high resolution and the high frame rate, regardless if the frames drop a bit more. Better future proofing. Everyone may not have VRR now, but it's going to be more mainstream in a few years. Most tvs 2020 and on will have it. Also, if MS releases a better Xbox or makes some optimization changes, then no need to wait for developers to patch up the resolution again or make frame rate changes.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
User Banned (3 Days): Platform Warring; Prior Ban for the Same
PS5 has the slight edge by the looks of it, frame rate looks a bit shonky on XSX.

I enjoyed what I played of the demo, might pick it up down the line.

Last edited:

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
If I had a Series X I would rather keep the high resolution and the high frame rate, regardless if the frames drop a bit more. Better future proofing. Everyone may not have VRR now, but it's going to be more mainstream in a few years. Most tvs 2020 and on will have it. Also, if MS releases a better Xbox or makes some optimization changes, then no need to wait for developers to patch up the resolution again or make frame rate changes.

yeah its kind of a balance,
like if every dev prioritizes locked 60 and work from there, vrr will basically be a useless tech for people having paid so much for tvs etc.

i wish more games do seperate modes,
40-60fps unlocked high res mode.
locked 60 performance mode.
no ones left behind.

Last edited:

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

Exactly. RE3 was patched to drop the resolution for consistent framerates and now with Series X we can't have higher resolution. :(

Don't drop the resolution and keep optimizing the game, please.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Seems kinda pointless to compare versions in a demo. Which is almost certainly an old build. Odds are PS5 visual issues are cleaned up and Xbox performance is better in final. (I would hope)

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
They know what? They are releasing a demo for an unfinished product. The hot takes in this thread are embarrassing.
I have played plenty of games where the demo and demo area ends up having way more detail, interaction, and polish than the rest of the game. It's a sales tool after all. I know I would be skeptical of purchasing a game with a really rough demo.

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like this demo is an older build as there are minor to moderate framerate issues on all new consoles and the lighting/tone-mapping has that weird bug on PS5.

I'd expect the framerate to be locked and the visual bugs to be patched in the final game. Probably only the resolution will remain as a differentiator between the three versions. Optimistic, I know.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
PS5 has the slight edge by the looks of it, frame rate looks a bit shonky on XSX.

I enjoyed what I played of the demo, might pick it up down the line.
It's running the game at a much lower resolution. That's to be expected. There's an argument to be made about potentially lowering the resolution on XSX in order to hit a consistent 60... But then again, VRR fixes that completely.

Maybe that's what some devs are counting on? That might be a reason for these differences. But in no way is this a win for PS5.