Votes: 2,855 92.0%
  • No

Votes: 247 8.0%

• Total voters

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
www.youtube.com

UE4 Elemental Demo for Playstation 4 | Unreal Engine

At the PlayStation Meeting 2013, Epic Games showed its new Unreal Engine 4 "Elemental" demo, the first public real-time demonstration for PlayStation 4!Want ...

Don't forget, this was the equivalent last gen (only it wasn't controllable unlike this new demo)
It is a massive improvement, but people are responding to that demo as if it's an actual game (a lot of ppl are understandably believing it's a PS5 game that the XSX can't handle). It's great promise for the future, but I'd like to see a real game that utilizes the techniques in the demo first.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Dark1x Did they say if this will be exclusive to Windows 10 and DX12 only? Talking about Windows version cus there are people still using Windows 7 and 8 that wanna know.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Watching again, I still absolutely hate alpha effects. Is there no way to make them not look shitty in 2020?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
You know what's even better imo? Open world games are significantly freed by the new generation and their SSDs. We know from Guerrilla Games that due to IO speed, Killzone Shadow fall loaded in 30 seconds of predicted gameplay into RAM. At current SSD speed, you need to load in only a few seconds. Now compare that to open world games: their 30 seconds of gameplay is in basically any direction, as opposed to a linear game like Killzone. Therefore, they should disproportionately benefit from the ability to refresh the entire RAM in a 3-4 seconds.

As incredible as this linear demo was, the real stunners compared to this gen are probably going to be the open world games.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
It is a massive improvement, but people are responding to that demo as if it's an actual game (a lot of ppl are understandably believing it's a PS5 game that the XSX can't handle). It's great promise for the future, but I'd like to see a real game that utilizes the techniques in the demo first.
I think people are excited about what could be. I would hope that people are not expecting this to be the case for all Unreal 5 games.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious to know about Sony x Epic partnership in this, will PlayStation Studios other than Sony Bend use UE5? Did they work with the engineers behind engines like Decima? Are they sharing tech? It appears to be more than marketing.

I don't think there's necessarily a formal partnership in that way. I think it's a conventional vendor/engine relationship, but they collabed on storage/IO related tech. Sony probably had a good contribution to make if they've been looking at this for longer than Epic, meanwhile it certainly is in their interests to have a key piece of middleware dovetail nicely with their hardware. That's probably about enough for Sony, and enough for Epic.

Of course studios might well use it more. But I guess it depends how they see their own tech stacks shaping up.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I want to know really is if this exact demo (flying and all - taking into consideration the SSD) would be possible on Xbox Series X. Epic kinda sidestepping the question was lame af.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
How is the PS5 powerful enough to render 25 billion of tris in real time, (and that's just tris alone, with GI, 8k textures and everything else?) Surely it's not THAT much more powerful than last gen?! Right now the budget on a AAA PS4 game is like what, 20 mil?

This is some wizardry.
I think they mean that the entire scene contains billions of polygons, not that billions are rendered at any one time. At any one time, most of the scene's objects are occluded (out of view in some manner - either outside field of view or obscured behind other geometry) and are therefore culled, such that only a small fraction of the geometry is rendered.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
I saw it was technically impressive in the beginning but I wasn't really blown away until the jumping section. The physics quality and movement speed were great, especially since it felt like she travelled kilometres in seconds.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I went from playing FF 7R to Jedi Fallen Order

So seeing the character squeeze through a gap during the presentation sent shivers down my spine lol

I'm so tired of this technique for masking loadings. Improve on that, Epic.

Anyway, what really blew me away was the ending. Her flying ... Wow

I imagined the next Spiderman game, or God of War ...

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
This was a smart move on Sony's part because now most people will associate UE5 with PS5 rather than the other platforms it supports.

This was a pretty smart marketing move.

I agree, good use of advertising dollars. I don't know what it would cost them for this deal but mindshare is pretty valuable and this is all about making associations in people's heads.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018

No one said XSX can't handle it. It's Unreal Engine 5 running "for real" on a PS5 and it looks great. The first few pages is full of people pointing out UE5 is multi-platform. It is what it is, a demonstration of what it can look like on the PS5 and it looks great.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
This was definitely what I'd consider gameplay. It's actually surprisingly representative of a real game (input, character locomotion, real time physics, etc.)
yes, real gameplay of a glorified walking simulator. I think it's better to look at this for what it really is: a real time tech demo of a new engine

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
I started imagining Gravity Rush 3 with this level of detail when she started flying.

Now im sad.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
Anthem was a vertical slice running on NASA PC.
This, is a vertical slice running on PS5 dev kit. That's really, really not the same thing.
Anthem was a vertical slice of a game that never existed.
This is a vertical slice of a game that does not exist.

Both show what's possible, but the lesson from Anthem (and countless games/demos in the past) is that potential =/= reality. The big difference here is that there's zero reason to believe that either Epic or Sony are being deceptive about the technology (unlike a developer trying to sell a new IP). However, it's premature to jump to the conclusion that there will be games that look as good as this demo until we see something like Uncharted 5 that looks like this demo.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
This is an actual game? People keep saying this is gameplay, so is this a game in development? Or is it just a controllable demo? I'm at work so I can't hear the video.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
This post is not going to age well

I have no doubt series x game will look fantastic. How can they not with those specs. Im arguing about seeing next gen first on xbox one when we've seen no real time gameplay or tech demo. That is just false. What we got today was actually playable its literally not the same as an in engine cutscene running at 24fps.

Do you disagree?

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
This is an actual game? People keep saying this is gameplay, so is this a game in development? Or is it just a controllable demo? I'm at work so I can't hear the video.

It's a playable demo created by the Unreal Engine team to showcase the improvements. It's not a real game in development intended to be played by anyone outside of a GDC-type environment. But it is running on a PS5 devkit.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Why clearly? The way that Tim Sweeny worded it and I'm paraphrasing, he was saying the SSD in the PS5 made that final scene possible.
Clearly? If the flying section required say 7GB/s or above data streaming rate to maintain that fidelity then no it would require cut backs for the XSX, which is why we need to know what data rate this demo, specifically that section required.
Lol... the XSX isn't running with a 2006 HDD guys... scenes like this aren't tied exclusively to SSD speed.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do people constantly say, XSX has a more powerful GPU than the PS5 so obviously everything the PS5 can do the XSX can do, whilst conveniently ignoring the twice as fast storage?

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Clearly? If the flying section required say 7GB/s or above data streaming rate to maintain that fidelity then no it would require cut backs for the XSX, which is why we need to know what data rate this demo, specifically that section required.

Is that really important? Is there some goal to prove either some specific game (and this is not even a game) its not possible on Y or Z console?

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think XSX would have troubles with the flying scene. It seemed to have very repetitive assets. I don't think it was pushing the limits of PS5's SSD that it wouldn't run on XSX.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
How is the PS5 powerful enough to render 25 billion of tris in real time, (and that's just tris alone, with GI, 8k textures and everything else?) Surely it's not THAT much more powerful than last gen?! Right now the budget on a AAA PS4 game is like what, 20 mil?

This is some wizardry.
It doesn't.

There is huge amount of detail that is never loaded to memory or displayed.
Objects are most likely loaded in such a way that polygons are close to pixel in size when loaded and rendered as such.

A very fine culling of objects so mostly visible polygons are ever rendered.

Virtual texturing so only visible areas and resolution is loaded.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
I don't think there's necessarily a formal partnership in that way. I think it's a conventional vendor/engine relationship, but they collabed on storage/IO related tech. Sony probably had a good contribution to make if they've been looking at this for longer than Epic, meanwhile it certainly is in their interests to have a key piece of middleware dovetail nicely with their hardware. That's probably about enough for Sony, and enough for Epic.

Of course studios might well use it more. But I guess it depends how they see their own tech stacks shaping up.
AFAIK PS5 devs kits were out there much longer than XSX dev kits for 3rd parties. So naturally Epic would be more familar with it. Also UE5/PS5 is a nice marketing coincidence as well.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil

Yeah, Epic must have been one of the developers that told Cerny to pursue I/O. I really got curious because whether they will adopt UE5 or not, they still got to use their own engines for now and this demo sets the bar real high. I know a lot of people will say this is just a tech demo, but it does count as next-gen gameplay, I guess.

Can't wait for both First Parties, UE4 vs Proprietary Engines in the battle before UE5. (its just a joke)

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017

Pretty much this. It's a pretty looking tech demo but it's exactly that. A tech demo whos sole purpose is to look pretty with nothing else running under the hood. I just want to see the actual games dammit! Games that we'll actually be playing this fall.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think XSX would have troubles with the flying scene. It seemed to have very repetitive assets. I don't think it was pushing the limits of PS5's SSD that it wouldn't run on XSX.

Everything we saw today is most assuredly possible on the Series X. It just so happens a playable next gen demo that was visually impressive debut on PS5 first. When the actual games come out I dont doubt MS games will look impressive more so than this tech demo.